UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 04:32 PM   #1  

Smile Brits Party

Hi Girls,

Do the Brits know how to party or what!!!!!!! I have just spent the week end watching the shows at buck house and the fireworks were amazing. I did not think they could top that then they let Notting Hill Carnival loose on the world with the commonwealth joining in. I do Believe I saw a tear on more than one ocassion in the Queens eye she was overwhelmed.
Now before you have a go I am not a royalist but I really do think we put on a really good show to the world that we Brits are not done for yet, we are still here not an appendage in the EU.
After this showing of millions of people, I really do feel we may yet riddle out of EU and all its daft ways.
I hope for the US who read this and may have seen parts on TV thats what they call British true grit, we are a stubborn lot but very very brave.
Have good week everyone.Tizme2000
Old 06-04-2002, 04:38 PM   #2  

I enjoyed the show (WILL!) the fireworks were fantastic but after a bit I was a little fed up of them

I am not a royalist either have to slip that in!
Old 06-04-2002, 04:41 PM   #3  

Err thats Will Young not the other one I was happy to see
Old 06-04-2002, 04:46 PM   #4  

Default Brits party

Hi Girls

Feels strange answering my own thread but I thought as most of you are younger than I you might not remember when she became Queen. This is my memories. I was fifteen when the Coronation took place and she looked wonderful very young and pretty. It was the first time I had ever seen TV as only the very rich could afford one then. I was babysitting for a rich family who were in London for the celebrations. It as a small 12" screen and only black and white no colour for years.
There were lots of street parties and games and sweets and a few small fireworks saved over from bonfire night. We thought they were wonderful. It was hard putting on a party as some foods were still rationed at that time. It was a luxury to get a tin of corned beef and you cut it wafer thin to go far. We didnt have much fruit either and a tin of peaches was put in jelly to stretch over a whole street. We had very little then but we didnt feel deprived, I suppose as we had nothing to start with we didnt miss it. I remember we had electricity put in just after that at home so we could get a proper radio not one you had to keep charged up. Better not say anymore will run out of room Vivienne
Old 06-04-2002, 04:55 PM   #5  

Well I have memories of the silver jubilee! Oh yes we had street partys then I most remember my mam judging some competition with involved the men taking their trousers down she has no memory of this but I do the shame!!
Old 06-06-2002, 06:15 AM   #6  

I remember we had a street party for the Silver Jubilee, and the Mayor's limousine knocked all the tables over.
Old 06-06-2002, 07:47 PM   #7  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Tizme
Just wanted to say that I saw a small amount of the party on the Tv the other night. Yes you Brits do throw amazing parties. As a true blue Colonial - with some Brit heritage I have to say I admire the way you stick with your traditions and arrange such wonderful parties which unite the entire country. I don't know about leaving the EU - politics is not my forte.
I do know however, that though not really a royalist, I shudder to think about Australia having its own President. New Zealand would possibly be the same. The old joke about how do you tell when a politician is lying? (His/her lips are moving) must have originated in Australia! The Aussies can arrange a good party, but it is always more American in origin than the Pomp and Ceremony of the BIG BRIT PARTY.
Congrats on the show - hope you see and enjoy many more of them.
Oh and yes you are right Tizme, the Queen seemed to really enjoy her own party and there were a couple of times she seemed to struggle for composure.
Gotta go. Have a good day
Closed Thread