UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:31 AM   #1  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

Default last nights Horizon

did anyone watch horizon last night? and what did you think
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:05 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 211/211/140

Height: 5'4"

Hiya..I recorded it, is it worth watching or should I not bother?
Artemis__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:53 AM   #3  
Becomming a Monster

well worth watching although it will make you rather angry damn those thin people!!!!
Old 01-27-2009, 11:35 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 274/238/150

Height: 5ft 7

I intend to watch it tonight on iplayer!!
abbe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:24 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimmingsi View Post
well worth watching although it will make you rather angry damn those thin people!!!!
Thanks, I'll watch it asap and come back with my thoughts!
Old 01-28-2009, 05:47 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 212/203/154

Height: 5'8"

This was the why aren't slim people fat right? Well I watched it and totally agree that some people eat loads but just don't put weight on. However one thing that did worry me is when they said obese children are more likely from women who were obese when they were pregnant. I was overweight when I had my DD and sahes slightly on the chunky side (but is in no way overweight), I then lost loads of weight and had my DS. He on the other hand eats constantly- I mean that- hes always hungry. Yet there's not an ounce of fat on his body. Now I realise that they are young and different sexes but it has made me wonder. My Mums morbidly obese too, so i wonder if it is in the genes
TracyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:12 AM   #7  

I guess it could be. But also slimmer people say they only eat when hungry.... I never wait until I am hungry! If it is lunch time I have to eat regardless of if I am hungry or not!!!
peacock 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:57 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 212/203/154

Height: 5'8"

LOL^^^ Thats me!!!!
TracyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:52 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyP View Post
This was the why aren't slim people fat right? Well I watched it and totally agree that some people eat loads but just don't put weight on. However one thing that did worry me is when they said obese children are more likely from women who were obese when they were pregnant. I was overweight when I had my DD and sahes slightly on the chunky side (but is in no way overweight), I then lost loads of weight and had my DS. He on the other hand eats constantly- I mean that- hes always hungry. Yet there's not an ounce of fat on his body. Now I realise that they are young and different sexes but it has made me wonder. My Mums morbidly obese too, so i wonder if it is in the genes
I was obese through both my pregnancies but I have a DS who's naturally slim and on the small side and a DD who's tall and chunky. My DS's diet is largely $h1t and my DD eats mostly healthy. My DD looks very like me and my DS more like his Dad. I'm sure there's a genetic component to obesity.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:07 AM   #10  

Finally found time to watch this. Is it just me or was it a bit depressing really for those of us who do struggle with our weight? It seemed like the message was that our body wants us this big, and if we do lose weight we'll still be hungry and struggle.
I thought the experiment with the kids was interesting - when they offered them a plate of goodies after they'd had lunch.
Overall, it looks like we should blame our genes.
Must admit I was so envious of those slim people - and how fast they lost the weight too !
Old 02-05-2009, 10:02 AM   #11  

I watched this with interest as it confirmed what I had read up about leptin, insulin resistance etc.

My lightbulb moment came a few years ago when my doctor told me that regardless of what my family or friends ate, I obviously ate too much for me

Yes, we can sit and believe it's not fair, and life is hard, but that's life and we can do something about it. If we had an arm amputated, we would learn to live without that arm. If we were diabetic we would learn how to eat for our body. If we were allergic to peanuts, we would avoid them.

Same thing, except we have more of a choice. We can either eat what our body needs, or we can eat more and gain weight. Not such a bad affliction relatively speaking, though it can feel like a prison sentence if we chose to fight against it.
MistyRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:12 AM   #12  
Becomming a Monster

however you can avoid peanuts. you can learn to live without an arm as you can easily see what you can and can't achieve its a bit harder to know how much to eat because we don't have a number that clicks up and down on your heads that shows how many calories to eat.

some days we need more than others but how much more? much easier said than done
Old 02-05-2009, 10:17 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimmingsi View Post
however you can avoid peanuts. you can learn to live without an arm as you can easily see what you can and can't achieve its a bit harder to know how much to eat because we don't have a number that clicks up and down on your heads that shows how many calories to eat.

some days we need more than others but how much more? much easier said than done
Didn't say it was easy It's possible though. We can chose not to eat inappropriately. We know enough about calories to work out what's too much. It's just putting it all into practice that's the problem.

Hope I wasn't sounding 'preachy'. Been there, done that, have various sizes of t-shirt.
MistyRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:33 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyRain View Post
I watched this with interest as it confirmed what I had read up about leptin, insulin resistance etc.

My lightbulb moment came a few years ago when my doctor told me that regardless of what my family or friends ate, I obviously ate too much for me

Yes, we can sit and believe it's not fair, and life is hard, but that's life and we can do something about it. If we had an arm amputated, we would learn to live without that arm. If we were diabetic we would learn how to eat for our body. If we were allergic to peanuts, we would avoid them.

Same thing, except we have more of a choice. We can either eat what our body needs, or we can eat more and gain weight. Not such a bad affliction relatively speaking, though it can feel like a prison sentence if we chose to fight against it.
MistyRain, you are so right. I'm trying to teach my DD this. She's 10 and eats healthy food, takes regular exercise but is 15-20lb heavier than she should be for her height. She compares what she eats to her friends and her older brother and says 'its not fair'. I tell her no it not fair but if life gives us lemons we need to make lemonade.

I've done the wallowing in the self-pity and knowing but not doing what I needed to in order to get to a healthy weight and it took me a long time to get to thinking like you do, I just hope my DD does not take as long.

Kitty

Last edited by KforKitty; 02-05-2009 at 01:35 PM.
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote