UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2002, 03:32 PM   #1  
Pending Email Confirmation

Default Lo Carbing

Hi ladies

I know you are all going to shout at me but I have started low carbing. I started yesterday BUY I am having vegiges, salad and some fruit, so I suppose I am not doing it to the letter.

I am cutting out the obvious high carbs in a bid to shift some weight for my hols. I have just got out all my summer clothes and I am dreading trying them on as I now the buttons on my shorts will not do up.

Anyone else had any success with this. Its just one step further than SW Red Days.

Jano
Old 05-13-2002, 03:39 AM   #2  

Hi Jano,

I have been low carbing for a couple of weeks now (although i have fallen off the wagon this weekend due to DH's birthday). I have found that when i stick to it the weight comes off pretty quickly and when i eat carbs i gain weight rapidly so my body definately has a problem with carbs.

I have been studying the carbohydrate addicts book and am going to follow that plan for a few weeks and see how i go with that. Looked at Atkins but think that it is a bit too restrictive.

Hope you are feeling a bit better now.

Tracy
Old 05-13-2002, 10:51 AM   #3  

Hi Tracey

I am glad that someone else is doing it, I was waiting for someone to "tick me off" about it as so many people think it is an unhealthy way of eating.

I was more or less pushed into it because of the time span and my hols, I knew it was time for desperate measure or I will not even want to go away let alone have a good time, and I really need this holiday.

Thanks,I am feeling better, getting there slowly, was much happier this a.m when I got on the scales and had lost 2lb since Saurday morning. Now i know that this is probabaly fluid, but so it is on the first week of most diets.

DH got my summer clohtes out of moth balls yesterday but I cannot face them at all yet. In view of the scales I will give it another week.

I have been advised to watch my carb inake whilst I am away as the sudden re-introduction on a large scale is not good. I think I can handle it but just still cutting out the major carbs. I have always thought, like you, that protein is better for me and that I lose weight better on it. In addition I actually feel better in myself after just 2 days. This morning I felt less tired and seemed to have more energy, know carbs are supposed to make your system sluggish.

I lost a lot of weight years ago on a Slimming Magazine high Protein diet and then it suddely became less fashionable as Low Fat came in. The red days on SW, I do for that reason, but this is taking things one step further.

Do you still go to SW. I do, I need that weigh in. In addition they sell a crisbread which is ideal for low carbing so I'll get some of those when I go.

Another reason I wanted to try this is because I feel the cold a lot and I am hoping that by allowing some extra fat (not going mad now) that it will have a good effect on me.

I am hoping to keep things low for the first 2 weeks, perhaps not as low as Atkins and then introduce a few extras the week before I go away.

What are the rules in carbohydrate addicts book? What do they advise?

Good luck, I'm glad you replied and be sure to let us know how you get on. I am hoping for a good weight loss come Wednesday.

Jan
Old 05-13-2002, 11:27 AM   #4  

Hi Jan and Tracey! I'm not following the low carb diet currently but I would be interested to know what sort of things you eat during the day. My worry is that I am vegetarian and might find it difficult to have enough protein sources to keep me going. I tend to rely a lot (too much) on pasta. I know pasta and potatoes make me very sleepy so would be interested to hear what you both eat and how you are getting on. I think instead of restricting them completely, I should just try to cut down a little bit.

Don't worry about us "ticking" you off, you know we're not like that on UK3FC
Old 05-13-2002, 12:01 PM   #5  
diva of the diet

S/C/G: 290/223/210

Height: 5ft 10"

I try to eat carbohydrates mainly for breakfast and lunch, my eveing meal tends to be high protein/high fibre. Kind of by accident really as I try not to eat too much wheat. It is working for me at the moment so I won't knock it.
I do have plenty of carbs but found i was relying too much on pasta and jacket potatoes for meals.
Old 05-13-2002, 12:04 PM   #6  

Default Hi P

Since the weekend I have been eating mostly
Bacon, Eggs, Meat, Fish and cheese.

Today I had celery sticks with Philladelphia chese with chives spread on - it was delish, these has never been known with me.

I do have a lot of veggies as it helps the old system, also it fills up your plate to take the place of the lack of spuds, rice and pasta.

I think your best bet would be to visit a board I have been pointed in the dirction of and thats

www. carblife.com

The folks on there are all on some sort of low carb diet or another and there must be some veggies about. Post your problem on these and be sure to get a reply. It is a UK board so you will understand the answer.

My resolve had been renewed.
Jan

Hope that helps

Jan
Closed Thread