UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:55 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 202/202/174

Height: 5'9

Default Xenical

Hello there!

I've just started (well last Saturday) on Xenical and I was wondering if there are any people on here who are on this at the moment, or who have been?

Things seem to be going ok so far, I've not had any oilyness at all is this normal? Currently a typical day for me looks like this: Breakfast is a low fat yogurt, lunch is a few crisp breads with low fat spread ham and cucumber, and Dinner consists of Cooked chicken breast (or fish) with broccoli, green beans and a small amount of brown rice.

I'll usually have a few bits of fruit during the day and some coffee too (with that red topped milk!)

So is this the right diet to combine it with?

Sorry for so many questions but I'm really not sure what to expect because I don't know much about it.
Riot Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 266/207/136

Height: 5'6''

Hi, I have taken xenical in the past and am taking it now (although not rigidly like I should). I have never experienced excessive oiliness, just bowels a tiny bit looser. Your diet seems okay, if a little light!! As a rule of thumb just make sure each thing you eat is under 4g sat fat and you should be okay.

Just ask if you have other questions.
gr00vybabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:36 PM   #3  

Thanks for the info. 4g of fat...that's handy to remember.

I suppose the most difficult thing to work out is what goes on in other people's cooking and when you're eating out!

I'm on it for a month initially so fingers crossed I see some action in that time. Am I realistic hoping for a loss of about 2lbs a week? This is what I was losing before it all decided to stop
Old 08-19-2008, 01:50 PM   #4  

you'll probably loose a little bit more if anything, due to the way it works.

4g of SATURATED fat not just overall fat.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

I've been on Xenical for 13 months and lost nearly 70lb whilst taking it. I lost 23lb in the 3 months prior to that without it for a total of 91lb. I agree with Groovy that your diet seems a little light. You have to take some fat with every meal you take the tablet, if I don't I find I get a little sluggish in the bathroom department if you get my drift. Don't go mad but 10-15g per meal will be fine.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 264/250/140

Height: 5ft 9"

What is this drug you all speak off? I have only seen it mentioned here.
Is it like perscribed speed?
Does it make you nuts like speed does?
I am going to look it up, but I would prefer your opinions of how it affects you.
Thanks & sorry for the random tag onto this thread Riot Rose!
Bonjul
Bonjul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:13 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 264/250/140

Height: 5ft 9"

ok I found this link:
http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk...l_reductil.htm

But does it have any other side effects?
It sounds to good to be true.
Bonjul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:55 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by KforKitty View Post
I've been on Xenical for 13 months and lost nearly 70lb whilst taking it. I lost 23lb in the 3 months prior to that without it for a total of 91lb. I agree with Groovy that your diet seems a little light. You have to take some fat with every meal you take the tablet, if I don't I find I get a little sluggish in the bathroom department if you get my drift. Don't go mad but 10-15g per meal will be fine.

Kitty
Kitty, that's outstanding! You must be so pleased. Have you combined this with just a normal diet and exercise plan too then? Are you definitely sure it's the Xenical that's speeded things up a bit and not just that you're good at losing the weight naturally?

My diet and weightloss so far was done with a similar diet to what I'm on now, although I must admit I've aired much catution this week due to the worry of any side effects!! It seems to be easier to find all the negative stories for Xenical so I'd been a bit apprehensive.

I'm feeling more confident and it's reasuring to know my body seems to be coping with it so far! I'll weigh myself on Friday to give it a week to see what's come off.

It's funny though, because when you put on the odd lb you assume the scales might be a bit out....the same goes for me with losing it. I never believe what the scales tell me for some reason! However I know that clothes don't really tell lies so hopefully in the next few weeks I'll get that delightful feeling of everything becoming looser
Old 08-20-2008, 12:05 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Rose View Post
Kitty, that's outstanding! You must be so pleased. Have you combined this with just a normal diet and exercise plan too then? Are you definitely sure it's the Xenical that's speeded things up a bit and not just that you're good at losing the weight naturally?

My diet and weightloss so far was done with a similar diet to what I'm on now, although I must admit I've aired much catution this week due to the worry of any side effects!! It seems to be easier to find all the negative stories for Xenical so I'd been a bit apprehensive.

I'm feeling more confident and it's reasuring to know my body seems to be coping with it so far! I'll weigh myself on Friday to give it a week to see what's come off.

It's funny though, because when you put on the odd lb you assume the scales might be a bit out....the same goes for me with losing it. I never believe what the scales tell me for some reason! However I know that clothes don't really tell lies so hopefully in the next few weeks I'll get that delightful feeling of everything becoming looser
I've had many weightloss attempts in the past and I can say I am good at losing weight, just bloody awful at keeping it off. I would say 80-90% of my weightloss is entirely down to me. I'm very strict with myself and seldom give myself permission to stray. My doctor re-inforces this and tells me that the weightloss is down to my dietry changes. The Xenical is merely a tool to be worked, nothing more.

What I have found though is that I haven't hit the dreaded plateaus that I did in the past, hence why my weightloss has been quicker. I've also had much less fluctuation in my weight than in the past, in fact I went a whole year without seeing a single gain on the scales. Granted, I stayed the same sometimes 2 or even 3 weeks at at time but never saw a single gain. However, this could be more due to the fact that I no longer have the hormonal gains that I used to experience every month as I also have a progesterone implant that stops me having pre-menstural symptoms I used to suffer with.

Anyhow I try not to over analyse this and just know what I am doing now is working for me, so I intend to keep at it until I reach a point that I'm happy with.

Kitty
Old 08-20-2008, 02:10 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 287/252/165

Height: 5 ft 4"

hey there just wondering Kitty, how did you broach this with your doctor?! If I havent lost anything this week I am going to print off my food/exercise diary and take it the doctor and ask for help, do you think they will prescribe Xenical for me?! I have been 5 weeks now calorie counting and exercising at least 5 times a week.. I have been tested for thyroid problems also, but something is not working for some strange reason, and I need some help!! Do you think doctors tend to be against this drug or not?!
pigginpodgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:07 PM   #11  

kitty - congratulations thats a fantastic amount to have lost, well done!

bonjul - no nothing like speed and not too good to be true, I and kitty and many others have lost a great deal of weight using it. I was 19 stone when I started on it and am currently 14.11. That said, it is not a magic pill and will not do the work for you. It can only be used to suppliment a calorie counting and exercise programme.

piggin - I know you didnt ask me but I'll answer anyway :P taking your diet and exercise programme into the doctor is a good idea. I think most doctors should be open to patients using these tablets as long as they can show commitment but I guess it also depends on post code, how much they have allocated to spending on obesity and whether your doctor is open to patients using tablets to lose weight... some people do think we should 'just get on with it' that said he/she will have strict guidelines to follow in allocating them so I cant see a problem. Book an appointment and go and have a chat.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:32 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigginpodgey View Post
hey there just wondering Kitty, how did you broach this with your doctor?! If I havent lost anything this week I am going to print off my food/exercise diary and take it the doctor and ask for help, do you think they will prescribe Xenical for me?! I have been 5 weeks now calorie counting and exercising at least 5 times a week.. I have been tested for thyroid problems also, but something is not working for some strange reason, and I need some help!! Do you think doctors tend to be against this drug or not?!
I did not go to the doctor with the intention of getting a pescription for diet pills. In fact quite the opposite. I just went saying I felt I needed help in losing weight. I even got quite emotional about it which I didn't expect. The doctor told me about the obesity pills that she could prescribe and their side effects but at that time I wasn't ready to consider these. I was going to see how I got on in the next 4 weeks and review. It was actually another 8 weeks before I'd reached a point where I wanted to give Xenical a try (I'd lost 7lbs in those 8 weeks). Having shown I was committed to losing weight my GP had no problems prescribing me Xenical but I have to go every 4 weeks to get weighed in and have a 5% weightloss target every 3 months. BTW, there is another drug licensed in the UK for obesity called Reductil, but my GP did not want to prescribe this.

So I would say go to your GP, take along your food log, ask for help and go in there with an open mind.

Kitty
Old 08-20-2008, 03:39 PM   #13  

I've tried both reductil and xenical and my experience is not only is xenical much more effective but a lot safer too.

You cant take reductil if you suffer from high blood pressure as this can raise it further. Also my weightloss nurse advised against it if youre exercising and raising your heart beat, she said it could cause a stroke... not sure how true this is but thats what she told me. I think it could cauase that if you have high blood pressure at the time.

I lost 16lbs on reductil and it stopped working after a month when my body got used to it. I lost 70lbs on xenical and put a stone of that back on which I am getting off again now.

Also, I dont know if there is a definate link or not, it is purely speculative, but around the time I was taking it I developed severe panic attacks and agoraphobia which took months to get rid of and it made my life a living ****.

I personally would never go near reductil again.

I think there is a 3rd obesity pill on the market now, but its very new and I dont know anything about it.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:50 AM   #14  

Groovy, that's also pretty impressive! Well done for losing so much. It's comforting being surrounded by succesful dieters as it gives me the motivation I need to stick at it.

Well that's a week on the Xenical now, and I'm surprised to see that I've dropped 6lbs! I know that's an awful lot in just a week and I have been very cautious about what I've been eating due to the fearful orange gunk! I know it'll be a one off but it's given me a kick start so hopefully 2lbs a week from now on will be superb.

I'm so impressed though! I was really not expecting this much in just one week.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:51 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Rose View Post
Well that's a week on the Xenical now, and I'm surprised to see that I've dropped 6lbs! I know that's an awful lot in just a week and I have been very cautious about what I've been eating due to the fearful orange gunk! I know it'll be a one off but it's given me a kick start so hopefully 2lbs a week from now on will be superb.

I'm so impressed though! I was really not expecting this much in just one week.

I think I lost something like 12lb in the first 4 weeks, compared to the 7lb in the previous 8 weeks but like you I was probably over-cautious, initially. Keep at it. I've got a feeling its going to work well for you.

Kitty