UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 244/241/???

Height: 5'5"

Red face How can I make it work this time??

Hey everyone!

I'm new here today as I am determined to lose weight for when I'm a bridesmaid next November for my friend.

However... I seem to do this about 10 times a year! I'll get really down about my weight and decide to do something about it -"this time it will work!" but it never does. I always fall off the wagon, whether it's after a day, a week or a month. I'll start by being a bit naughty and having a few bad things and then it just continues until I'm not even bothering anymore.

I always seem to have the motivation to begin with but it usually fades...

Has anyone got any tips for me? I NEED HELP!!
laurab53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:19 PM   #2  
Stepping Up

S/C/G: 228/ticker/160

Height: 5ft 9.5

hey laura!! welcome!

what are your stats?? x
PrettyPaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:27 PM   #3  

Hey Paula,

I'm 229 and 5 feet 5 inches. The heaviest I've ever been
Old 06-10-2008, 04:57 PM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

Hi there!

It is not falling down that stops us. It's failing to get back up! The next time you happen to trip up, remember it's just a bump in the road. The road that you have to continue to walk down.

Motivation is fleeting. Forget it. Try on commitment. It fits better. Commitment is saying "Yes" to the treadmill, even when we aren't motivated to get on it. And it's saying "No" to the second slice of cake we don't need, even when we feel like we don't have the willpower.

But, that's all for when you're feeling down... right now you're feeling good about starting, right? Right!

So. What's your plan? Gotta have some sort of plan for eating and getting in more physical activity. If you aren't sure, check out Diet Central. Lots of ideas of what might work for you there. Pick something that you know you can stick with for the long haul.

And moving more. Not always something we want to do, but it can be as easy as taking a five minute stroll down to the corner store to pick something up.

Have these plans. Stick with them as closely as you can. When you stumble, right back to plan the very next moment. Keep at it.

You can do this!

Best of success!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:05 PM   #5  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Well I think the best way for you to lose weight is to sit down and really look at this seriously. Short term goals and long term goals - that are achievable. Look at problems in the past that have caused you to stray - what caused them, and what can you do this time round to prevent them? I think losing weight is difficult for anybody and if you know you can do it there's no stopping you, but it's never easy and it's always a huge learning curve. I'm sure with the love and support from 3FC you'll do it this time round!
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:28 PM   #6  

Find something realistic that's doable. Low GI is one possible way to go as eating wholkegrains etc fills you up much longer, less cravings.

As others say not so much motivation (you have that - November!) but commitment. Spend a bit of time researching what might work for you, and clarifying what you want - maybe ask some hard qs to yourself why it hasn't worked in the past? Then try and factor out those things that scuppered you before.
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:07 PM   #7  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I highly recommend keeping a food journal. Write down every singe thing you put into your mouth. I often times feel like binging and I start to eat more and more and if I don't write it down, it seems like I've gone way over my calorie limit (I count calories), but if I see what I've actually had, I realize that it's not that bad. When I don't write it down, it spirals out of control and writing it down somehow keeps me in check. I also workout. If I don't do some sort of exercise, I tend to eat a lot more. I DO binge sometimes (I have a major problem with that), but now, I just get right back on the next day and eat a bit less and exercise a bit more and I remind myself how bad it feels to fall off the wagon and try not to do it for a long time. Like Fairie said, this is about commitment more than motivation. I'd like to add one more word to this: consistency. The more consistent you are, the more results you'll see. Reward yourself for each mini-goal too. Weight loss is hard work, so treat yourself with something (not food) to make you keep going. If you have certain bad patterns, try to figure out alternatives. If you snack at night, go for a walk or go to a room where no food is allowed. Or, paint your nails or crochet. Ask for one of your loved ones to hold you down (just kidding about that one!LOL!). I wish you all the best. You've tried this before, but you've never had the support of this board. This time WILL BE DIFFERENT!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:01 AM   #8  
I Use To Eat All The Pies

S/C/G: 196/Ticker/131

Height: 5" 6

Hi Laura,

Welcome! You have got some great advice here. I have done that in the past..done really well, move down a clothes size, then start sneaking in the bad stuff again! Why do we do it to ourselves?!

One thing I would suggest and it helps me, is totally immerse yourself into sites such as this, read the goals section the mini goal one to! Soak up all the inspiration and just remember that WILL be you posting in the GOAL section one day.

Good luck and keep posting!
Hugs
GlitteringPink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:42 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 247/222/154

Height: 5ft 7

You sound exactly like me. I've had people telling me all week that they hope i stick to it this time and don't get bored. Like you it starts with one cheat then ends up me giving up.

I've started writing down what i have eaten each day and it's helping me because I can't pretend that I haven't cheated. I don't really have much advice because I'm just trying to keep going aswell. Good Luck x x
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:58 AM   #10  
I Use To Eat All The Pies

S/C/G: 196/Ticker/131

Height: 5" 6

If you are calorie counting, there are some great sites out there to help.

Weight Loss resources:
www.weightlossresources.co.uk/

The Daily Plate:
www.thedailyplate.com

I use a combination of both
GlitteringPink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:47 AM   #11  

And of course:

http://www.fitday.com

Can figure out cals in (food) and cals out (exercise and daily activities).
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:55 AM   #12  

Thanks everyone for you support and advice!
I am feeling better about this already! I think by coming on here everyday and keeping my blog up to date I'll find it easier this time.
Here it goes...
Old 06-12-2008, 01:20 PM   #13  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

this site definately makes it easier to stay motivated....
you pick up so many good tips and so much good advice from other members....
id go so far as saying it is INVALUABLE!....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote