UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2002, 02:16 PM   #91  

mooty in answer to your question id buy her something outrageous and totally unexpected she is 60 after all
TQ if i was you id buy her flowers and give her a hug after all he was your dad and its nice for youse both to remember him together..............or as an alternative to both of those suggestions and you can thank veggie for this as she has put the idea in my head , how about compiling a folder of little things that happened on the special day .......music , something in the news , fashion anything
this will take time and thought but its something id like for me so remeber im 30 in september
Old 03-23-2002, 02:18 PM   #92  

booty not mooty i do apologise
Old 03-23-2002, 05:06 PM   #93  
Mistress Of My Destiny

S/C/G: 355/219/159

Height: 5ft 5.5

Flumper I love the idea you had about compiling the folder of things that happened on the special day for BPB's mum

I'm 40 in september, think I might start dropping hints to hubby and son about that one, its something you can keep forever. I love it

Ali
Old 03-23-2002, 06:40 PM   #94  
Slow and steady

S/C/G: 229/-/170 ish

Height: 5' 5"

TQ
My Dad died five years ago today. The year after he died would have been his and Mum's 40th wedding anniversary and they had planned on being in AZ for it with me and hubby. they were even going to pay for my brother and family to come out there as well. (It's actually mine and Dave's wedding anniversary the same day).
I had an inkling that my Dad had planned on buying my mum a ruby ring for the occaison, so me and Dave did instead. She was absolutely thrilled with it, and knew why we'd done it, which made it even more special to her.
If I were you, I would give her what you feel would have more meaning and sit together and take the time to chat and enjoy both your memories of your Dad, and I'm sure you'll both have a beautiful day.
Old 03-23-2002, 07:47 PM   #95  
Theres no stopping me now

Fraid I'm not full with ideas. Dad was 60 last May but was seriously ill in hospital recovering from meningitus at the time so we did nothing.

My father in law will be 60 this July, his wife had offered to buy him a ticket for the grand prix in sliverstone but he turned her down. Goodness only knows what we are going to do for him.

But my mum turns 60 next April (2003) and it is mum & dads Ruby wedding in the October 2003 (we believe in planning ahead !!!). Dads family came over from Ireland and they have always wanted to go across. So I thought the ideal solution was to buy them a joint pressie for their 60th birthdays, as dad missed out, and also part of their ruby wedding anivesary present and pay for them to go to Ireland. One brother is keen on the idea, one says do what ever we want and he'll chip in but my sister has a wedding to pay for in the May and not sure if she can afford to help out - families !! Can't chose them and wouldn't be without mine, but why does big sister Carol have to organise everything and then get the rest to pay up. Not sure what to do about my sister - should I offer to let her pay a nominal amount because of the wedding - she & her financee do not have the best jobs but will this cause trouble between me & my brothers - probably. But then mum & dad paid for my wedding completely - but as Dad only works part time now my sister won't hear of it.

I like the idea of a folder and may try and pull one together for mum and dad. My sister & I (sound like royality) had been thinking about trying to track down bridesmaids, best man, etc and ask them to write a letter for mum & dad for a scrap book. We plan on including photo's of what people looked like them and how they are now, along with the letters. Mum & Dad got married in West London so it's a bit far to invite them all to a party. If we do manage to get them to Ireland, it will probably be over the summer so for their actual annivesary in October we plan on inviting their brothers & sisters and families up for a family party - but that is going to take some planning as well

It is nice my sister is getting married next year. As I got married in the same year as they had their silver wedding aniversary. So mum keeps saying another big annivesary will be marked with a daughters wedding. After this she's out of daughters so one of my brothers will need to get married for their golden. Better not be one of their grandsons although scarily the oldest (my Sean) will be old enough by then.

Sorry to have blethered on about how we're planning on doing the 60th birthdays / ruby weddings. we are still open to new / fresh ideas.
Old 03-24-2002, 04:09 AM   #96  
diva of the diet

S/C/G: 290/223/210

Height: 5ft 10"

Carol, blether on as much as you like lass, I think you have some great ideas there. My mam is 75 in October and has always wanted to visit Jersey, if I can afford it i am going to take her there for a weekend, if I can't afford it I am going to take her to see a show in the west end. never been to Jersey though would quite fancy that idea, seems quite pricey though in the brochures, was hoping for a last minute cheapie.
Old 03-24-2002, 04:23 AM   #97  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

We didn't know what to do for Kevin's Mum on the day that would have been her and Kevin's Dad's 50th Wedding Anniversary - he had died on their 49th Anniversary so it didn't seem really appropriate to celebrate. We decided in the end that the immediately family would go out for a lunchtime meal and then we visited his grave aftewards. As a gift Kevin and I bought her some beautiful rose bushes - and an orange canary in a cage.
Old 03-24-2002, 07:26 AM   #98  

For my mams 60th bd and parents 40th anniversary we went to the pub for meal and drinkies not exactly into big celebrations are we? Oh there was cake and presents too!!!!
Old 03-24-2002, 11:05 AM   #99  

Wink

HI, just read the post, am new, so please forgive me!!

When I hit 30, ma hubby, got hold of some bunting..(the kinda stuff that you get for fayres and stuff), hung it all around the front of the house, and back garden..for all the street to see.... this wasn't bad if I had expected it, but he did it at 3am, so I didn't have a clue!!

He then got 30 purple (fav col) metallic balloons, all in the living room, with 30 small little presents attached....(choc and stuff)

Oh, and flowers too.......yep was pretty memorable and had a lovely romantic meal out that evening too.....
Old 03-25-2002, 02:00 AM   #100  
Pending Email Confirmation

Default I've been gone a while

Hi Folks

I'm hoping I am back for a while now. All that Hospital visiting with mom meant that I've not been around as much as I would have hoped for. The dieting and exercise have been almost non-existent.

For those who do not know, I'll briefly tell.. On 27th March mom suffered a very large stroke which has just about remdered her helpless. Can't swallow, speak, move eat. She just about 1/4 turns her head. She has had an operation to feed her through a tube into her stomach.

Becuase its been almost a month, Drs do not expect any more improvement in her and so on Friday last, after the Hospital, which was miles away from me (and there is only me!!) had finished all they could do, she was placed in a Nursing home much closer to me so its easier to get to. I now have to get into some routine which will give me some free time to do some of the things I like, such as visiting here.

Its been and continues to be a traumatic time for me but things are settling down so I look forward to being back a little more.

I am going to Dublin (this was organised before mom fell ill) in 2 weeks and would lkie to shift a few lbs before then so today is the first day of that. Not sure if I can pack the booze in again as I did before as it helps me to sleep at night, stops my mind whizzing in all directions. It does make a difference to my weight though

Jan
Old 03-25-2002, 05:55 AM   #101  

Jan as long as you count the alchol into your plan and don't get the munches while drinking you should get away with it.

I am starting dieting seriously again tomorrow. Today I am just being careful as it is Seans birthday and we are off to Pizza Hut to celebrate. We haven't been in about a year so I am going to enjoy it but not eat as much as I would normally.

Tomorrow is the start of me being back on plan I am doing better than I was at the end of last week but I know I am kidding myself if I think I am going to have a perfect on program day today.
Old 03-25-2002, 05:57 PM   #102  

Sean had a fantastic birthday and now it's back to reality. if I post one negative thought tomorrow - gang up on me.

Watch this space for a big gain tomorrow (don't pity me I deserve it)
Old 03-26-2002, 05:55 AM   #103  

Im allowed pizza on my new plan 1/4 of a veg one for lunch with salad sounds alright doesn't it?

Hope you are ok Jan when my great aunt was ill it was just me and my mam visiting every day it was very emotionally and physically tiring.
Old 03-26-2002, 07:51 AM   #104  

Im suffering from first day diet high badly at the mo it wont last Its the thought of being told to eat pizza its making me giddy the very thought!
Old 03-26-2002, 07:55 AM   #105  

Where are you today Veggie – mag court or college ?

I’m waiting for the guys I work with to come back from lunch so I can go outside. Am too on that first day of high. Have done amazingly well over the last 6.5 hours, if only the next 10 were guaranteed to be as easy.
Closed Thread