UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 02:58 PM   #61  
:(

S/C/G: 13st 2lbs/12st 7lbs/9st 7lbs

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally posted by geneve
I can't stand having to eat unhealthily in public...see someone skinny eating a bar of chocolate oin public and no one bats an eyelid, but if you are fat you can see people looking thinking 'she shouldn't be eating that'.
Geneve
I know what you mean! I feel like every1 must think Im a total pig if they see me eating something unhealthy (something which doesnt happen much anymore! YAY!), but all the other girls in my class seem to eat loads and none are as big as me! For example: I notcied today that the girl in my class that I hang around with most ate a chocolate bar and a packet of crisps at 9am, a sandwich oozing with mayonaise at 11am, another packet of crisps at 1pm, and another chocolate bar and packet of crisps at 2pm!!!! And this is just at college! She's not fat, why?!
Old 02-20-2002, 04:20 PM   #62  
Slow and steady

S/C/G: 229/-/170 ish

Height: 5' 5"

Hi all,
Well it's my second weekly weigh in tonight. By my friends scales it looks like I've lost two pounds...I hope the WW scales agree. I've been very good again and am proud of myself. I had my WW, buddy aka real life friend doown the road and her family join us for dinner at the weekend. Hubby cooked BBQ ribs, I had none, and for me and Sandra, BBq chicken. It was yummy, we weighed our meat out on the table, hubby's were laughing, but it's all very important I told them...LOL!
I have a question for anyone attending WW. At our meeting here, the scales you stand on have a bit of paper over the digits so you can't actually see what you weigh. Only the thin person weighing you see's your weight and then writes it down. I thought at first, 'well this is ok, no one behind me knows how fat I am, nice privacy and all' but since talking to another friend who was a WW in England and California, she said she goes behind a screen, can see what she weighs, and she thinks it's a tad strange. My evil mind took over before I had talked to her and thought, maybe WW are telling me I've only lost this much, but really I'd lost more and they just told big fibs so I'll keep paying them and going back? Please let me know what you think on this matter. I'd love to know your opinions as I think I might question the bit of paper tonight, not literally of course, I'd look pretty stupid standing there talking to a bit of paper at the top of the scales wouldn't I?
Old 02-20-2002, 04:25 PM   #63  
Slow and steady

Not that I haven't look stupid before mind you! LOL! Forgot to say congrats to all who have had their weigh ins and done good again and to all who haven't...not that I think there are any, keep going. I really love this group and enjoy a great read when I get on the puter, you've all given me a great start and the will to carry on, cos I know I can do it, even if it is a long slow process. By the way, no rain here in NJ yet although we are forcast for some tonight. Must be heading this way from jolly ol' Blighty
Have a great evening all of you.
Chris.
Old 02-20-2002, 04:31 PM   #64  
Pending Email Confirmation

Default Interesting

I presume that the bit of paper is changed for each person for hygiene reasons. WW here, when I attended went through a spell of asking you to weigh in shoes. I think they also sold papery slipper thingys at one stage.

That being the reason, I agree with it, but you could say that you don't mind people looking at your weight and ask that it is folded clear of the dial as you would like to see for yourself.

I think it is more likely that they would fib the other way and tell you that you had lost more than you really had so that you would be impressed and keep going.

A woman locally ran her own club here sometime ago. It was a spin of from Slimming Magazine and she was telling people that they had lost no end of weight so that they would keep coming back.

Eventually a few ladies, who didn't feel any slimmer, raised suspicions and I think the lady who ran it went to jail for taking money under false pretences. Hmmmm

Do that, ask to see your weight - I like to see mine, because some times they genuinely make a mistake.
Old 02-20-2002, 04:55 PM   #65  
Theres no stopping me now

At the very boring ww group I used to attend, the scales has no display on them. There was a gadget plugged into the scales that sat on the thin person doing the weighings table & only she could see the weight. Like yourself I didn't like that. I like to see it for myself, not just be told what I weigh. It's like when you go to doctors and they weigh you in kilos & then you have to wait while they hunt down the table for the stones & pounds value.

Janet well done on sticking to plan all week. Stick with it this week and you should see a difference by next week. Our bodies aren't clever enough to know that they are supposed to lose weight every week by our weigh in days and some bodys have the cheek to drop a pound off on the day after we weigh - watch out for those boys in blue

Carol
Old 02-20-2002, 08:47 PM   #66  
Slow and steady

Thanks for your imput girls. I did ask about the paper and they said it was for privacy reasons, but if I wanted it removed they would take it off for me. I don't think I'm ready to share my weight with the other ladies standing in line behind me just yet, maybe in a few more weeks?
I only lost half a pound this week, so I must admit to feeling pretty sad about that, but I am an optomist so half a pound loss is wonderful compared to a half pound gain
My WW bud, actually got her 10 pound loss ribbon tonight, I am SO chuffed for her. She's actually lost eleven and a half pounds since we started two weeks ago. The leader said that if she continues to lose like she is, she'll have to be reported to WW...me and my friend looked at each other and guffawed...and asked why. Apparently fast weight loss has to be reported to the big wigs in case you decide to sue them....only in AMerica I say, who would want to sue some company that you're paying because you lost weight fast?
We decided when we got home to measure each other, didn't think to before we started of course...DUH! SO we will keep an eye on those inches falling off every month. Although I have lost just the half pound, I believe I have lost inches as I can feel it in my clothes. They aren't actually falling off of me as such, but feel baggy on the bum area. I won't moan about that
Anyway, here's to another new week. I CAN DO IT!!!! Good luck to all of you and have a happy healthy week.
Chris.
Old 02-21-2002, 03:29 AM   #67  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

Geneve, BritinNJ - congratulations on your losses! Could you post your losses on the Weekly Weigh In thread so I can add them in to the group's weekly weight loss total.... please??????

Geneve - I have got a calorie listing book that has a section dealing with eating out (the Indian section is virtually falling to bits) and you have got it exactly right with tandoori grill and vegetable biryani. OMG - its only 8am and my mouth is watering at the thought..... Kevin makes a great curry but it just isn't the same as restaurant food (although his chicken tikka is better!!)

Curiosity is getting the better of me .... I have got two (very old) Jane Fonda ones (the original 'make it burn' one and a later one) and a power yoga video I bought last year - and I find all of them INCREDIBLY boring - I just can't get motivated enough to move the furniture around, get changed, lock the dog out and etc. Even when I have made the effort to just get on with it I have never been able to keep up because I just don't seem to have any coordination. They just aren't FUN. I am always open to persuasion though and your enthusiasm for LK makes me think her videos must be better than the ones I have got and might be a better option than trundling across the moors in this dreadful weather. So what makes these Lorraine Kelly videos so good??

Flumper - thanks for the suggestion about phoning the SS - which I did - and the toffee-nosed woman on the other end (who sounded like the Queen) said 'Oh - we never thought about people on restricted diets - how TERRIBLY un-PC of us - we'll have to think of something else' so hopefully it won't be fish and chips after all. Kevin was most put out - he had really been looking forward to it.

We got ANOTHER 'homework' pack from Social Services in the post yesterday - with yet another list of topics to be discussed before we get there on Saturday. This list is supposed to help us find the weak points in our relationship. I think the idea is that we need to find them now rather than when we are caring for someone else's children. Basically they all boil down to how much we trust each other. For instance - the first one is 'What would you do/feel if your partner was accused of inappropriate conduct with a 14 year old in your care?'

I think this is getting to be an over kill situation by the Social Services - me and Kevin have had so many 'in depth' discussions of one sort or another in this last month (all because of all this Social Services homework stuff) that the impact has sort of worn off. When we had the first lot of discussions it used to have me bawling my head off (as some of you might remember) but now I feel all cried out and look at the questions in a slightly more detached way. But then maybe thats the whole point.
Old 02-21-2002, 06:15 AM   #68  

Were ill here - everything from aches and pains, coughs, runny noses and upset stomach's - not nice being here I havent eaten anything since yeserday lunchtime - so i'll probably lose a lb or 2.

Sarah I have a Lorraine Kelly video and I like it because it's has a more modern feel than say, Jane Fonda, plus it's lots of kicks, and stuff, no star jumps etc. The reason I like it is because Lorraine Kelly is still "chunky" on the video and doesn't look like a stick insect and she makes mistakes which makes me feel normal too.

Sarah - I'm certainly no expert but I agree with you about the discussion topics set by the SS. Looking at them from a slightly detached point of view and not taking it so personally has to be the way forward. Good luck this w/end

When I go to Rosemary Conley (pinched old bag) class we arn't allowed to see the scales either, you stand on a platform and the results come out of a little box on her desk - never thought about it before, maybe i'll start asking to see the results for myself.

Supposed to be going to Salsa class tonight and I'm too ill to go - really fed up
Old 02-21-2002, 06:33 AM   #69  
Consistency + Balance

Melissa - poor you - sounds like this 'flu thing which is going round up here. Just take it easy, drink lots of water and eat lightly when you feel like it. Salsa class will still be there next week.
Old 02-21-2002, 06:44 AM   #70  
Theres no stopping me now

Maybe the Salsa class would cheer up Melissa, even if you sat & watched for most of it. Sometime when we’re feeling ill getting up & doing something is the best thing, sometime though staying nice & cosy at home is just wonderful.

Sarah I like the LK vids. I brought the pink one first & found it a challenge without being to boring. I have an old Jane Fonda low impact vid too, sometimes I put it on for a laugh, but haven’t worked out to it in ages. In the LK vids there is just LK & Jenni ‘the expert’ no Barbie dolls in the back ground tying to join in. What I like though as Melissa said. LK is chunky & she gets things wrong in the vid, messes up the steps, etc. Both vids also break down in to 3 sections, the pink one does, upper & lower body workout, Back to front work out & all over body work out. The green one does the same but I don’t know the proper names, burn & kicks, fight flab & tone and floor work – something like that anyway. I like them, but before you buy them why not see if you library has a copy which you could hire for a few days – nothing worse on spending money on something you aren’t going to enjoy.

Well work beckons – yet again. It’s nearly time for my walk but the weather isn’t great & I’m having doubts – what was I saying about fair weather walkers yesterday ?? I think I will make an effort to get out, even if it just for 10 minutes or so. I managed to drag myself out of bed to work out this morning so surely I can put on my jacket and grab my umbrella & go outside for a wee while.

Have to go, really have to get on with some very interesting stuff (NOT)

Carol
Old 02-21-2002, 08:35 AM   #71  
Mistress Of My Destiny

S/C/G: 355/219/159

Height: 5ft 5.5

Hi everyone

Glad to see you are all doing well. I am feeling much better after my disappointing weigh in last week, partly because of buying those leather trousers, but mainly down to the fact that I managed to do 15 minutes on the stepper machine at the gym. As you all probably remember my goal is to reach 20 minutes non stop...well I am just back from todays session, I was on the stepper machine and I started talking to one of the other ladies there while I was on it and I completely lost the track of time, when I checked I had done 19 minutes 10 seconds...well I went for it and did it
Not only did I feel great that I managed it, but I can't believe what a thrill I got from knowing I was still able to talk at the same time, when I think back to how I was a couple of months ago, when 30 seconds had me so out of breath that I would have to stop for 5 minutes before I could do anything else and today I did 20 minutes without stopping, talked all the way through it and didn't even need a rest before I went onto the next piece of equipment, I really can't explain how great I feel, but I';m sure most of you can probably imagine
TOM has finally mad its appearance today allbeit 2 weeks later than it should be so tomorrows weigh in does not look promising...I have stuck really well to my eating plan, drunk loads of water and obviously exercised well....so you know what...even if I haven't done great on the scales tomorrow, for once I don't care. I know I have been good and next week it will show

Well time to head back to work

have a great day everyone

Ali
Old 02-21-2002, 09:18 AM   #72  
Pending Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally posted by Delaney
[B Rosemary Conley (pinched old bag) . [/B]

just tickled me!
Old 02-21-2002, 11:12 AM   #73  
Consistency + Balance

I'm inclined to agree with Melissa about Rosemary Conley. I think the one thing that REALLY annoys me is that we are supposed to find her story inspirational - I just find it (and her) really irritating!

I can't begin to imagine how much money she has made out of other people's weight misery - I have got her Hip and Thigh diet book somewhere - and I have got her first recipe book (which I hate to say that I can recommend). Melissa goes to RC classes as does another good friend of mine. She must be worth a fortune.

Hmmmmmm - Do you think I could start up a diet class in my kitchen.... ?????????

Incidentally I thought it was really funny on This Is Your Life when the spokesperson for the original 'kitchen group' was still more than a little overweight!
Old 02-21-2002, 11:59 AM   #74  
Slow and steady

God, I love this page, you are all so inspirational to me. Just wanted to say that after my half pound only weight loss last week I was inspired to start my Tae-Bo work out again. So up I was this morning at five o'clock...God it's early then...and I actually managed to keep up with Billy. I got all the tapes last year and did them religiously for a few months but of course they faded out of my life. My new goal in the weight loss is to try and do the video every day now before I go to work, which will mean me getting up at 5 every weekday, but I think I can do it
I actually work in a classroom with five autistic children at the moment so I do get a daily work out while I'm there, but I know I need something else to shed these pounds so Tae-Bo it is.
Hope you are all having a really great day.
Chris.
PS. My dogs thought I was mad bopping about and doing karate kicks, while they lounged on the bed and watched me....
Old 02-21-2002, 01:06 PM   #75  

Mmm...yesterday...champagne and birthday cake...ok I know on monday I'll stay the same again and you will all be thinner sob...

Least of my worries... on monday not looking forward to my course only thing that makes it bearable is my sister is starting a job she doesn't want on monday

I wont moan to much just have many worries about it

Every time I start a course I think Im going to have to sit all day in one of those chair desk combos this has only happened to me once but that was enough!!

Dont get me started on my lift phobia and the fact Ill have to use one about 4 times a day...

Ok I'll shut up now...
Closed Thread