UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:41 PM   #1  

Default Weightwatchers points help needed

Hi folks, I'm 3lbs from my Goal. I decided I'd do Weightwatchers points when I found that I could not shift those last few pounds. I did WW some years back and have a CD-ROM and some bookets which I am using now.

Back then, the points allowance for someone weighing 10-12 stone was 20 points per day.

It seems now that points are based on other factors - height, age, weight, activity etc - and it appears that on WW points I would be on 18 points per day plus 35 additional points to use during the week. This works out at 23 points per day, not 20 as before.

I am calculating the points value of foods according to kcal and saturated fat as before.

I'm a bit confused now. Are points calculated differently than before to allow for these 'extra' 35 points per week? This would increase my overall weekly points allowance from 140 under the old system to 161 under this 'Flex' system.

Can any WW veterans advise me as to how the old system and current system vary, and if so, why?

Many, many thanks.

PS The UK system, I understand is different from the US system in that we don't calculate the fibre content.

Last edited by Apple Grrl; 12-11-2007 at 03:42 PM.
Apple Grrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:00 PM   #2  

I son't know about the old system but now you are only allowed to eat 12 excersise points per week, so You would have 20 per day plus the 12. Not that I'm that strict
sarahgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:05 PM   #3  

Hi there

Ray
Ray of Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:43 PM   #4  

Thanks for your replies. I've decided I'll stick with the old programme - WeightWatchers 123 and Pure Points. I have all the info and it worked before, so I'll just carry on. I don't understand the logic of increasing the points, unless the US system is different. They seem to calculate the points value of foods differently than we do over here, so perhaps there are differences between a US point value and a UK point value.
Apple Grrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:58 PM   #5  

The logic behind the US increase in points is this - medical studies found that reducing calories too much caused the metabolism to slow. Giving more food kept the metabolism working at peak efficiency. This could be why you can't shift those last few pounds. WW continually researches things like this and makes appropriate changes to the program. So it makes sense to go with the flow and make these changes.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote