UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2002, 03:37 AM   #1  
Pending Email Confirmation

Default Low Fat Eating by counting grams of fat

I would like to have a go at this diet.

Can someone tell me the rules or point me in the right direction.

I have the booklet which slimming has produced on calories and fat grams. How do I start please.

Can someone give me a for instance of what they eat in a day and how they arrive at the total no. of grams of fat per day.

Also on this diet is it possible to save for the wekeed? if so, how much can I save up to per day. (sooooooo many question)
Old 01-19-2002, 04:38 AM   #2  
diva of the diet

S/C/G: 290/223/210

Height: 5ft 10"

If the diet hasn't changed (I haven't seena new copy) it used to be between 7 and 10 fat units per day. Great diet if you have a lot to lose and like large portions of fruit/veg. You have to be realistic with rice/pasta/potatoes/bread etc.

Not recommended to save for wekends etc but you will know what you can get away with by saving a unit or two.
Old 01-19-2002, 04:45 AM   #3  

Hi

I think we are the only two here, and we probably should be doing somethingelse!!

No the diet has changed - I used to do that one by Slimming Mag. You would look up an item in their fat unit counter and add it all up. Yes I agree it was very good BUT now you have to count grams of fat up to a total of 25/35 depending on your starting weight and count cals at the same time. What I want to know is what if you have had all your cals for the day but not the fat and vise versa?? I'm confused, but I would like to get into it.

Janet
Old 01-19-2002, 09:48 AM   #4  

Hi

I'm doing a fat counting diet with Rosemary Conley (not personally) and if this helps this is what I do.

Basically look at the packaging of food, on nearly all items of food sold there is a label on the back stating how many cals, fat grams etc there is in 100g - what I am to do is to make sure that I don't eat anything with more than 4g of fat in 100g of food (4%). So, if the label says 700 cals per serving, but 3.8g in 100g then it's fine to eat. Does that make sense???

Hope that's of some help
Old 01-19-2002, 09:55 AM   #5  

Red face

Hi D

Thanks for your reply. The RC one is not the one I am referring to. Your total amount of grams of fat add up to between 25 an 35 (I think) depending on your weight.

I am however considering going back to RC, I've just been looking on the net for my nearest class and it looks as if it has closed down:-(

I think its time I went somewhere, I have been putting it off because I can't stand the patter or the expense but I need someone to watch me on those scales. I'm even considering WW again. I am really confused as what to do next?
janet
Old 01-19-2002, 10:00 AM   #6  

Oh, sorry that was of no help.

I'm probably wrong but did someone say that the slimming magazine was no longer available? A friend of mine did that diet for ages but said recently that she could not find the magazine anywhere and couldn't find any phone numbers in the directory for a club.

The reason I'm at RC is the exercise and the threat of getting on the scales in front of someone. I know what you mean about it being expensive but how much would you pay to be thin?
Old 01-19-2002, 11:07 AM   #7  

Hi D

Thanks for the reply, I wouldn't say your reply was of no use, even for the fact that we know someone else is out there is of use, it shows that support is at hand.

Its funny what you say about Slimming Magazine Slimming Clubs because I was trying to find their web site on a search engine and I found a piece posted by, I think a woman who was a leader. She was saying that her room had not been paid for by SM for so many weeks and that they were in trouble financially.

Now bearing that in mind, about the same time last year that the article refers to I subscribed to the mag and the isuess got slower and slower, in the end I cancelled my subscription as I was sick of chasing them. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I think WW has seen everyone off... looking at it, the RC clubs and SCM in my area have gone.. I think I will have to succumb, in fact I have got out all the slurge from the last time I went to WW and will start from in the morning. It is much easier than working calories out though. The problem with WW is that they do not stipulate portion sizes, so I'm going to keep them very low if I can) and you are quite right I would pay a fortune to be slim, unfortunately even that wouldn't work.
Old 01-19-2002, 11:51 AM   #8  
diva of the diet

Slimming Magazine is still on the go, next issue out 5th Feb, the Slimming Magazine Clubs did go under last year but were soon back up an d running though there aren't as many around, a lot of the group leaders took the opportunity to set up on their own and are part of an independent Slimming Clubs Network. The one I go to is part of this network (used to be a SMC)
Details of SMC phone
FRee 0500 16 14 12

(I have already posted this so apologies if it shows up somewhere else, it seems to have gone missing
Old 01-19-2002, 12:07 PM   #9  

So they did go under thn hmmm

its old WW that's seeing them all off
Old 01-19-2002, 12:14 PM   #10  
diva of the diet

SmC are the only ones I have ever been successful with the diets are so realistic , I am still following their diet. There aren't many clubs in London at the moment but they do seem to be growing in Number I just looked at the website.
Old 01-19-2002, 03:58 PM   #11  
Theres no stopping me now

I'm all confused with RC & SMC. But here's my tuppence worth, for what it is worth.

I am following WW, but try & stick to between 15 and 20 grams of fat a day. My own guideline, figure if I don't put it in it can't join all it's pals on my tummy . I have a skinny friend who tells stories of eating nothing but 3 mars bars a day & staying within her WW points - not a healthy plan & I hate mars bars unless they are frozen

My only other fat fact is that each gram of fat has 9 calories.

I think WW is taking over the world.

Carol
Old 01-23-2002, 04:45 AM   #12  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

I don't actually COUNT fat grammes, but I am on a low fat, low calorie diet, which works really well for me. Its fairly similar to the SW diet, except I do count the calories in my carbs. I aim to have 1,000 cals a day PLUS half a pint of skimmed milk AND all the fruit and vegetables I want - except of course for the fattening stuff like avocadoes and I don't eat too many bananas... LOL.

Basically I try to eat as little fat as I can - I don't add fat in cooking, etc, and I always trim off all visible fat on meat - this is just a healthy way to eat. I find if I try to set myself a target on fat then I will eat UP to that target by adding fat to my cooking - whereas if I just try and keep it as low as I possibly can it is probably well under any target I might set myself.

Here's a link to the Mayo Clinic low fat diet webpage which might be helpful.

Mayo Clinic Low Fat Diet Webpage

Last edited by Sarah Ann; 01-23-2002 at 04:47 AM.
Closed Thread