UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:09 PM   #1  

Height: 163cm

Default What's everyone's exercise plan for winter?

Hi!

I haven't been here for a few months, but made the mistake of weighing myself yesterday, and decided something definitely needs to be done before Christmas! So I thought I'd come here for some moral support!

I tried the fat smash diet at the beginning of this year, just before going on holiday, and managed to lose some weight. Unfortunately, that was a while ago and the weight has piled back on, and then some! I started a new job in summer, and that has resulted in a steep reduction in my exercise, as well as a massive increase in social alcohol consumption!

I don't know about the rest of you, but I find the winter months the most challenging. All I want to do is stay indoors in the warmth, and eat lots of comforting food. There's very little pressure as you can just hide the rolls of flab underneath layers of clothing!

I'm going to have to give myself something to work towards, like the Christmas party, or my holiday in January where I have to meet the extended in-laws for the first time!

I'm intrinsically lazy, which is tough to admit, but nevertheless true! I was wondering what you guys did for exercise in the winter months? I need some inspiration! I don't want to spend a fortune on a gym membership I'm never going to use! I'm always so tired after work, so I know it'll never happen. I'm just being honest with myself, but I know that once I start to exercise, I become quite addicted to it, and I love new muscles popping up all over the place!

Help!!!
cammii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 04:46 PM   #2  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I bought resistance bands and more dance and WATP dvds in anticipation of winter. I walked outside all summer long, but snow is on its way. I already had yoga and pilates dvds as well.
As far as being tired after work, I know how you feel. I come home and collapse into a chair. But, I challenge myself to get a healthy snack, a big glass of water and sit for 15-20 minutes. Then change into my workout clothes. Once I start, I find energy that I didn't know I had.

Not exercising isn't an option that I give myself. I chose WHAT I want to do, not IF I want to do.

Last edited by CountingDown; 11-04-2007 at 04:46 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 05:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'5

cammii - I totally understand what you mean when you say that winter makes you want to stay inside and eat lots of comfort food. I'm the exact same way.

In the summer, I get plenty of exercise just being outside. But now that winter is coming, I'm going to be joining the YMCA. I loved going to the gym in the past, but I made the mistake of joining Spa Lady and over $500 of debt later (that I finally finished paying off last month), I realized that I need something that I can commit to on a monthly basis, not for 2 to 3 years. For me, exercising at home doesn't work out well - I just don't do it. Having a place where I go and focus on nothing but exercise is very helpful for me.

I have a Christmas party to go to on December 22, so my goal by then is to be maintaining at my goal weight. I'm going to buy a sexy, stylish dress and I'll be absolutely fabulous!
just_a_dreamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 06:33 PM   #4  
Simply Filling Technique

Lightbulb Think daily not seasonally

Think daily not seasonally. I agree with Counting Down-- NOT exercising AT ALL is NOT an option.

I think Counting Down's idea about how to decompress before hitting the exercise "whatever" is a great idea but here is something additional you might want to consider.

Since it seems like it is hard to start "anything", why not look for ways to increase your activity during your work day. For example, while the weather is still nice -take a walk outside around the building that you work for your lunch hour.

If your job allows you to get up and move around, offer to do "errands" for your boss or supervisor. Maybe some papers that needed to be delivered to another department, for example.

Once you get home (and after you have decompressed-see Counting Down's suggestions above) how about getting some exercise dvds (there are a lot of really good ones) and working out to them.

Also, on the weekend, when the wind is blowing and it is brrr cold outside, do a couple of dvds to make up for it.

There is a commercial on tv that used to run last winter about a girl who was dieting and she hung her bikini on a hanger in plain sight and walked past it every day. At the end she has lost the weight and it shows her in the bikini. That also might be an incentive for you to continue through the winter months. After all, spring comes here sooner than you think and wouldn't that be an added "confidence-booster" if you had done your workouts during the winter and THEN can show off all the work you had done??

Last edited by pamatga; 11-04-2007 at 06:34 PM. Reason: forgot some important words
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 07:41 PM   #5  

Thanks for all the great advice! You are all right, of course. I just needed the kick up the ****!!!

I've hunted through my [quite substantial] exercise dvd collection which I've accumulated over the years. I tend to get quite bored of dvds, so I bought quite a few. I've found a couple of really good ones I totally forgot about, so I'm starting properly tomorrow. I spent some time tonight jumping around my living room like a crazy person. Blubber was flying everywhere!!! Thank God no one can see me! Definite incentive to continue!

I'm also going to start taking my own lunch into work instead of eating sandwiches, and cut down on the mochas! I'm really going to try. I'm not sure I can handle a diet, not that I eat too unhealthily normally. I'm just going to cut down on the not-so-healthy things I eat, and definitely the alcohol!

Wish me luck!
Old 11-04-2007, 08:48 PM   #6  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

cammii - it sounds like you have a plan! I agree about making lunch. I keep a drawer/small refrigerator full of healthy snacks as well. Keeping my blood sugar level really helps me keep from devouring the entire contents of the kitchen when I get home.
I KNOW you can do this! One day and one step at a time!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:17 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'5

Thumbs up

Hey cammii,

Remember, it's not a diet - it's a healthy lifestyle. It sounds like you have a great plan, and you're ready to put it into action. Good luck!

pamatga - Love the idea of the bikini! Maybe I'll hang a picture of mine on my cupboards (since that is where the stuff I binge on the most resides).

Last edited by just_a_dreamy1; 11-04-2007 at 09:22 PM.
just_a_dreamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 11:33 PM   #8  
banned

S/C/G: 380/205

Height: 5' 10"

The wife and I are wintering in the States,
everything is portion control,
plus a brisk walk 3 times daily,
we hope to return slimmer
Skulker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:25 AM   #9  

Hi everyone!

Thanks again for all the advice and support. I'm trying to exercise and eat healthily. The former is far more of a success than the latter. I'm still eating unnecessary junk, but I am working out more, and am starting to tone up a little. This is going to be a very long process...
Old 11-16-2007, 05:40 AM   #10  

Exercise?? Oh yeah I was meant to be joing a gym. Oops!
peacock 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:01 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 213/166/137

Height: 5 ft

I walk for about 45 minutes every day for work, and at least once a week I walk a longer distance in the evening with my friend and her dog Ken. Mind you I do want to get back to the gym but things have been a bit mad in my life.

Michele
micheleherts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:05 AM   #12  

Actually now I am commuting I do a bit of a walk (only down the tunnel in SOuth Ken tube station to get to the Uni though. Still, baby steps....
peacock 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:22 PM   #13  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

To be honest, my exercise plan in winter is pretty much the same as in summer. As long as I'm wearing the right kit, moving fast enough and getting my HR up, I don't really notice the cold too much - it's a nice change not to overheat when I'm running!

Because I'm a member of a running club I don't really need to run on my own in the dark - I can run with a group and then do other sessions at weekends in daylight or on the treadmill before work. I do cycle in the dark, but my bike has lights etc so it doesn't make too much difference to me.

I find that safety is more of a concern than temperature over winter. I don't run through parks in the dark, and it gets a bit boring sticking to well lit streets, but with the right kit at least it's only the dark I worry about and not the weather.

Until it starts snowing
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote