UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2002, 08:43 PM   #31  
Mistress Of My Destiny

S/C/G: 355/219/159

Height: 5ft 5.5

Just a flying visit its almost 2am and I'm bushed, be back tomorrow to check in

Ali [SIZE=4 ]HAPPY NEW YEAR !!![/SIZE]

Last edited by Posy; 01-01-2002 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-02-2002, 03:11 AM   #32  
7 of 9 wannabe

The new diet started today.

Why does the idea of dieting make me feel glum - I ought to be feeling happy that I am taking control of myself..... but I do feel glum!!

I went through the freezer and the fridge last night and binned everything that might tempt me to cheat. Cheese.... gateau.... pizzas.... pate.... anything with pastry.... boo hoo!!!!!

I put on 10lbs since the beginning of December - so much for 'healthy eating' I NEED to be regimented - to keep a food diary and weigh my food. I now weigh 14st 10lbs and I need to lose 59lbs now to reach my target weight of 10st 7lbs - so I have broken it down and made myself some fairly realistic goals.

My new targets are 1. To lose 30lbs by the end of March. 2. To lose the next 15lbs by 11th June (my birthday) and 3. To lose the remaining stone by next New Year's Eve.

I am going back on to my old diet - the one that worked so well for me last summer - 1,000 cals a day plus a half pint of milk and all the fruit and veggies I can eat.

Does anyone else have any new resolutions/goals?

Did anyone see that 'Fat Club' TV programme last night? The drill instructor might have been a bit of a nutter - but I think the idea of having to explain to him why I haven't lost weight would be the biggest incentive I could possibly have to work hard at the programme. I really don't know why noone told him to get knotted when he forced them to jump in that unheated pool!!!!!

Happy New Year

Last edited by Sarah-Ann; 01-02-2002 at 03:19 AM.
Old 01-02-2002, 07:01 AM   #33  

HELLO!

Don't feel glum Sarah you want to lose weight don't you? I thought you were maintaining on docs orders anyway?

I still have what no meat sausage rolls left over from christmas my mam has 18 mince pies left and two christmas puddings her blood sugar went up to 11 point something new years day OMG it is supposed to be about 6!

I saw fat club poor things I can not believe the woman who won't go out to a pub/club but it happy to appear on tv in a swimming cossie from every angle! I was happy to see people fatter than me on tv anyway even if they were being treated a bit like freaks!

My resolutions is to err...lose weight can not face the evans sale this size next day after boxing day
Old 01-02-2002, 08:38 AM   #34  
7 of 9 wannabe

I must admit I'm a bit like that woman (except I wouldn't be seen dead on telly in a swimming cozzie). I don't particularly enjoy going out - especially if I am expected to eat or drink in public - or - worse - do any form of exercise that will make me all red and puffed.... swimming, dancing, etc, etc. We used to be very sociable but nowadays we have virtually stopped going out for dinner or even just for a drink- either to pubs or restaurants or to other people's houses. I just don't seem to have the confidence I used to have.

I think I got like this as a combination of being at my largest ever weight AND being very ill early last year and it has sort of carried on ever since, possibly getting a little worse as time goes on. I'm not exactly phobic about going out - for instance I don't mind walking the dog or window shopping with Kevin - but I find I am now very careful to avoid all the situations that I know will make me feel uncomfortable. I'm hoping that getting somewhere near my target weight will give me back a bit of confidence.

I hope your Mum has got her blood sugars under control now, Veggie, that must be so frightening. My friend is a diabetic as well - and she says that every year at Christmas she feels all sort of fuzzy minded and ill and she knows it is because of the extra sugar.

I am sure that this is going to be our year. I know I am supposed to be maintaining, but I have put on 10lbs and I don't feel right about myself, so if I just lose that 10lbs before the doctor tells me I can diet properly(!) then at least I will feel I have achieved something.

Last edited by Sarah-Ann; 01-02-2002 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-02-2002, 09:10 AM   #35  
Mistress Of My Destiny

Hi everyone

I watched that program last night too....I want that drill instructor for my personal trainer...your right...you just wouldn't want to have to tell him why you hadn't lost weight would you.

I know what you mean about being surprised that no one told him to get knotted when he forced them to get into the unheated pool....but at the end of the day, they are supposed to be there to be helped and to take advice from people who know what they are talking about.....swimming in an unheated pool is better for you than a heated one, becuase your body is not only working hard as it swims, it is also working hard to get you warm so it gives your metabolism an extra boost...I think it may have been helpful if that had been explained instead of it just showing him to be a mean task master.
I suppose at the end of the day, by not explaining why they are doing something is one way to see just how serious they are about losing the weight and just taking the advice they are being given.
I know if I had the opportunity to have the advice and help that they have I wouldn't question anything I would just do it

Peachy you are right, as you start to lose some weight, your confidence will come back and in no time at all you will be unstoppable
I have so much more confidence now than I had when I started, I think I'll be unbearable when I reach my goal

Veggie who wants to go to Evans sale anyway...this year we are all going to lose this unwanted weight...so don't waste your money on clothes you'll be throwing out in a few months time...save it all up and buy that little skimpy black number

Ali
Old 01-02-2002, 04:33 PM   #36  

HAPPY NEW YEAR

I didn't see the programme but I wish I had, I got a phone call this morning from a friend asking if I'd seen it - she told me all about it - not my idea of fun, but I bet they all lose some weight out of it.

I got the biggest shock this morning when I got on the scales (1st time since early December) when it said 18.4 I got off and then got on again but it was still the same! What a waste of dieting - I actually lost and gained 1.5 stones in a year!!! It made me very determined to get serious. I had a clearing out today, I chucked out a pint of fresh cream, a huge Christmas cake some mince pies, stilton and french brie, I just couldn't bear the thought of having anything tempting in the house. I've never been brave enough to do that before, part of me thought it wasteful but I know that if I'd not done that I would have eaten it this afternoon when I got peckish, instead I ate a satsuma Tomorrow I'm going shopping and I have a list already prepared with some lovely diet "stuff" on it.

I am going to draw a graph and pin it up so I can plot my weight loss. If I'm keeping busy I'm not eating am I? I think that is part of my problem.

Sarah my resolutions are to give blood again (that will make me weigh less for at least a couple of hours ) To lose weight (obviously) and to grow my nails which I have been doing for a couple of months but I do find them in my mouth quite often.

I got some lovely bath pampering type stuff for Christmas so I'm going to go and use them now. Keep up the good work.
Old 01-02-2002, 04:53 PM   #37  
Theres no stopping me now

Chances are they won't have anything you like in the Evans sale - they never reduce the nice stuff. Everything I like always stays at full price and like Ali says this time next year we'll be top shop babes

I'm hiding by the computer trying to pretend my house doesn't have a kitchen. I have the munches - I am an evening eater and I want to eat - I still have some points left but am trying to wait that 20 minutes they are always telling us about. You wait 20 minutes and if you are still hungry then you eat, if not it was just a craving.

How did these people get picked for fat club - I would love a chance like that. I assume the telly station is paying something if not all of the costs - what more could I ask for. I could even suffer the drill instructor as long as I lost weight.

Carol
Old 01-02-2002, 06:58 PM   #38  
Mistress Of My Destiny

Hi everyone

Delaney, don't think of it as a waste od dieting, think of it as a trial run....you've just proved to yourself you can do it...now its time to do it for real
I think you did great throwing out all the stuff that you know will have tempted you to eat it. I have to say tho if I had thrown stilton out my hubby would probably have thrown me out straight after it
Enjoy your pampering bath

Carol I know what you mean about hiding and pretending your house doesn't have a kitchen, my hubby has gone one step further...our son has taken to sleep walking and often wakes up downstairs in the middle of the night, he gets confused about the time and thinks its morning so he helps himself to his breakfast. Just before christmas, he had eaten 3 breakfasts before 5am so hubby put a lock on the kitchen door and we told him that if he woke up downstairs and the door was locked it wasn't morning and he had to go back to bed. so now, when I get the munchies and I know I can't have any more to eat I get hubby to lock the door
when hubby isn't around I have to rely on keeping myself busy so the computer is a great help there...for some reason locking the door myself and hiding the key just doesn't seem to work very well, I always find the key

As for the program, I think the tv are footing the bill for everything, I'd love to know how they heard about the program to get picked for it in the first place.

Well time for bed, just wanted to check in before I went

have a great day tomorrow everyone

Ali
Old 01-03-2002, 03:09 AM   #39  
7 of 9 wannabe

Well - I managed to survive through Day One of my new diet!!! I always find the first day of a diet the worst so (hopefully) it will start to get a bit easier each day.

Carol, your waiting 20 mins trick is similar to a trick I have got which is - if you are craving something, you find yourself a pen and a piece of paper and you sit down at the table and find three very good reasons why you should eat it. Not just because you fancy it - they have to be really good! I promise you, you never get to eat anything. You can NEVER think of three reasons.

LOL - I have got a huge dietary aid coming up - do you remember me saying that Kevin is changing jobs (he starts next Monday) - well yesterday he found out that he gets paid on the 15th of each month from his new job - rather than on the last day of each month as he does now. So tomorow (his last day) he gets paid a week from his current job and then on the 15th he gets paid about a week's money from his new job - and then we have got to wait another month before we have got any more money coming in. All our direct debits are set to go out of our account on the 1st of the month.... so I just might not have any money to buy food!!!!! I am sure we will figure some way round it - but right now I can't quite figure out how.

Veggie - Carol's right - Evans NEVER put the good stuff in the sales - it is just the stuff they want to get rid of because it has been hanging around in their stock room for ages.

Delaney - well done on getting on the scales - I know exactly how hard it is to do that.... Well done for throwing all the high calorie stuff away as well. The graph is a good idea and I am going to make one today. I have adapted one of the screensavers that came with my computer - the one with the 3D text flying and dancing around - it now shows my weight and is set to go off if I don't use my computer for 2 mins, so it is a fairly constant reminder.

DH has stuck an A4 size piece of paper on the fridge with one word on it in big black letters 'DON'T'.
Old 01-03-2002, 08:06 AM   #40  

I had an email once asking if I wanted to be on a diet type tv show! I think it was for the living channel they have loads of those type programmes. I have seen posts on diet message boards asking for people for stuff like articles and tv.

I think I need a DON'T note on the door of the fridge the off license the chippy tesco and the bakers!
Old 01-03-2002, 08:34 AM   #41  
Mistress Of My Destiny

Hi everyone

Sarah, my sister in law is sitting here with me as I am reading the boards , she is a bank manager
she said to tell you not to panic about your direct debits and standing orders, just call your bank and explain to them your circumstances and they will change the dates of them for you. They may not be able to do it in time for the first month but it is normally standard practice that if you have contacted them about it, they will make sure all the payments are made even if you don't have the money in your account at the time, sort of like giving you a one off overdraft to cover your normal payments until the new dates.

And yes I agree the first day is always the worst...I know if I have had a bad day, the following day is really difficult to get through, its all to easy to remember all the good things that passed through your lips the day before, just takes a while to remind yourself that the things you are eating now are much better for you

I love the idea of the big note saying don't too
I'm with veggie on that one, there are quite a few places I could think of to hang one of those.

Have a great day everyone, keep hanging in there

Ali
Old 01-03-2002, 09:33 AM   #42  

Hi

I'm going to put "DON'T" notices on my fridge when I've done this.

Well my second day and I'm doing fine - yippee. Been to Sainsbury's and bought loads of lovely, healthy, low fat food. Quite a few things were on offer too; Mullerlite yogs were 3 for 2 and the Be good to yourself range was buy 1 get 1 half price, I also got some low fat hot cross buns they're 1.6g of fat and 160 cals per bun, sometimes I really need something sweet that's not a mini choc bar.

I don't know how they picked the people to go on the tv programme. I once wrote to Richard and Judy, they asked you to write in if you had a "serious" amount of weight to lose and were serious about losing it - so I wrote this lovely long letter explaining how much I weighed and that I really needed the threat of being weighed on tv etc but I never even got a reply - I bet they were swamped. Then a couple of weeks later they started the diet with the new participants and a couple of them were only 12 stone!! I felt a bit miffed because there are so many people out there who are seriously overweight and could really do with the help - I took my bat home and never watched it again (although I have been sneaking a peek at the new 5pm show).

Sarah I agree with you that the first day is the worst, it seems to me that when you've been plugging away at dieting for a couple of days you sort of slip into it don't you? I agree with what Ali said too about the day after you've been bad - it's so hard to get back on track again, but I've decided to take it one day at a time and if I have a bad day then I have a bad day and get on with it there's no point in losing sleep over it.

Has anybody seen in the papers about the woman who made a bet in January of last year that she could lose 12 stone? Well she did it, she started at something like 30 stone and it's falling off her - apparently she was on gmtv the other day but I missed it.

See you later.
Old 01-03-2002, 09:36 AM   #43  

They never have people as fat as me as this morning slimmers I liked the last lot though as they were sisters that was good.
Old 01-03-2002, 09:56 AM   #44  
7 of 9 wannabe

Hi All

Ali - thanks for the advice - my bank isn't quite as nice as your Sister In Law's bank - they basically told me that if the money wasn't in the account that they would bounce the DDs - charging us for the privilege.

Veggie - Are you joining us all on the Weekly Weigh In? You said how much you weighed but didn't mention how much you want to lose. I estimated that you might want to lose about 6st 7lbs - would that be about right?

Delaney - I'm feeling much hungrier today than I did yesterday - but I think that might have something to do with my other New Year's Resolution - which was to get more exercise. Yesterday I did about an hour, but today I managed an hour and a half with George before he had had enough. When we got back I was starving and all I could have was a pear , a 99% fat free cup-a-soup and a 95 calorie roll to dip in the soup, because I have got a fairly large dinner planned.

My friend applied to go on Richard and Judy (I don't watch it) and got accepted, then did some sort of a screen test with the cameras and then got turned down. They said she was too self conscious in front of the camera. She said she was self-conscious because they didn't do anything to make her feel at ease and in fact the technicians were talking about her like she wasn't there - saying stuff about her weight, etc. which upset her and made her go all red and flushed - which made them say even more stuff. Not at all nice.

Last edited by Sarah-Ann; 01-03-2002 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-03-2002, 10:56 AM   #45  

I LOVE Richard and Judy/this morning

Yes I am IN the weigh in and I want you to SHOUT at me if I hide on a monday when I weigh. My target weight is 10 st 5 according to Slimming magazine it also says 1800 cals if you are over 3st overweight that's good! My personal target is 12 stone/size 18 that is about as far ahead as I can imagine at the mo!
Closed Thread