UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 09:30 AM   #76  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

DH was more worried about the motorway thing than I was - I got a bit shaky for a sec than pottered on, like you do, concentrating on the next bit of road. When we got home you'd think that it was ME who'd made the guy face the hard shoulder! Apparently I didn't brake hard enough. I should've stopped. All my fault! However I was about level with the pickup by the time I saw that it was that that had made the cars swerve and there was really no reason for me to brake since the cars that had swerved were already making good progress ahead of me and there was nothing obstructing my lane! But it was ALL MY FAULT! So I left him to warm up in bed with the electric blanket while I told him he could pilot the bike next time back seat drivers!

That crumble sounds yummy - I've bought some plums so I might have a go
Old 02-05-2007, 09:56 AM   #77  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

Men! Strange how they like to put the blame on us females. Have you ever noticed that if there is a point in debate (any topic) and you and a man - any man - have different opinions, then your DH is more likely to think the man is right, EVEN IF ITS A TOPIC YOU KNOW LOADS ABOUT. Arghhhh! (Yes, this happened to me on Friday night.)

Surely he realised that if you had stopped when the road conditions didn't warrant it - especially on a motorway - then you could have caused another accident because the driver behind wasn't expecting you to stop - best to keep the traffic flowing as much as possible.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:00 AM   #78  
aka Superwoman!

Precisely what I said - and I didn't want to brake so harshly that we both came off (again!). I think he saw different things. He didn't see the cars swerve in front of us, and he reckoned all the traffic behind had stopped so we should've stopped. Deffo best to keep going

MEN! Plus he was moaning about the cold! meh - what do you expect, it's February on a bike in the dark...
Old 02-05-2007, 10:09 AM   #79  

Sarah Ann - those chavs! It is so sad for the little boy. He will end up a problem child doing a lot of bad things until someone takes notice of him. Some people really truly do not deserve kids but they keep on having them!!!
Old 02-05-2007, 10:19 AM   #80  

Blimey 2frus - that must have been really scarey - sorry would've replied before but got waylaid by Sarah Ann's Chavs. I don't drive, myself or ride bikes but on the rare occasions that I do travel by car (usually my Aunt taking me down to Mum's) I see so many near hits that it astounds me. Especially if it is some plonker (yes, usually male) who has kids int he back and thought nothing of cutting in without signalling. Jeez!

I am always amused by my Aunt - she does not swear at people but to hear her go on you'd think she was the best driver. NOT. She moans that they never know what lane they are in - when at the same time her car is going bumputy bump over the things (cat's eyes?) in the MIDDLE of the road - a 2 lane road. She is also always asking why there are so many people out at the weekend (including her??). Her eyesight is not as good as it was as well but you cannot tell her that. At least she had her cataracts done. It is stil ingrained on me the time we almost hit a HUGE lorry cos she did not see it in front of her. This time down the road where my Brother used to live, not a motorway. It was coming towards us and of course needed most of the road and we should have seen it and stopped to let it go by but as she did not se a bloomin HUGE lorry come towards us - only my shrieks and blaspheming alerted her to the fact....
Old 02-05-2007, 11:37 AM   #81  
A Mighty Thump

Height: 5 feet 4 inches!

Morning .

I thought I'd look in again after a small break.

I did my first deadlift this morning, well I did 3 sets of them actually. The man on the smith machine next to me kept looking over whilst I was doing them, it might have been the beetroot red face or he might have been admiring my technique . I hope the latter. I've got a new strength training plan that I'm excited about, lots of olympic lifts and such. I feel dead good, very strong raawr!

Tomorrow I'm swimming if I can get into the pool before all the senior citzens. You can't move when they've got their independant exercise groove going .

Sarah - blimey never a dull moment on your street. I made more turkey burgers, I think I might be addicted!

Chris - I hope Hannah is ok, I found that website you referred me to and am going to make an ID so look out for me .

Peacock - I had an elderly "aunt" (she was my grandmothers best friend but we called her auntie) who was blind in one eye, partially sighted in the other and used to take us all out driving regularly to Pontefract castle when we were kids. I only found out about the partial sight/blindess a couple years ago, always wondered why she drove so slowly.

I've done away with the scale tracker! I figured with this new strength training I will be putting on some muscle so torturing myself with the scale every week when I know I probably won't see much is fruitless. Instead I am going to look at how well my clothes fit and weigh twice a month.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:42 AM   #82  
aka Superwoman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynneA View Post
The man on the smith machine next to me kept looking over whilst I was doing them, it might have been the beetroot red face or he might have been admiring my technique .
That's because the smith machine is for pussies who can't cope with actually using their core stabilising muscles. He was probably jealous that you're trying such a "hard" lift.

HOORAY FOR DEADLIFTS

I was talking to my martial arts instructor about stupid boys who don't train legs and he says, "Well they're hard exercises." HARD!? GEEEE And I thought we all went to the gym for sh!ts and giggles. If you can't hack working out, just sit on the sidelines and watch the big girls do it! Rant about puny men over.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:46 AM   #83  
Slow and steady

S/C/G: 229/-/170 ish

Height: 5' 5"

Morning all from another very breezy piggin' cold frigid MA!

Thanks for your support with Hannah girls... it's helping me to be able to talk about it. She doesn't seem to be able to pinpoint the actual thing that is making her feel that way and then when we talk and suggest things that it may be, she disolves into tears and shakes and goes a horrible colour telling us that she doesn't like the feeling she is having and feels daft, silly, and such by disolving into tears. She's never been a really what you would call weepy person, she never used to cry when we saw anyone off at the airport after their visits, just said cheerio and waved while all of the rest of us were in tears and blowing noses and such...so the tears are worrying for her.

I do have an appointment tomorrow evening with a councellor... she sounded very nice and accomodating on the phone, so it can only do us good I feel.

Sarah, a bullet hole in a PO? I thought those sorts of things only happened over here....I know we've had some mad moments at home, and I know more guns are around than there used to be, but I should enjoy your time at work and we'll all ignore the remarks that those stupid people have made to you.

Frus... :scared: about the bit on the motorway... I used to think us Brits were lovely drivers, especially compared to driving over here, but the last two times I've been home, everyone has scared the snot out of me... especially on the motor ways, they hare along and drive like the people in LA, only in smaller cars...makes the drive from the airport after a long plane ride, not nice at all. Glad you and DH are fine though.

RSG and Helen, gald you're both feeling better...RSG... I watched the half time show of the superbowl last night and thought what a waste of my time... and what was that thing that Prince had on his head to start with? I love his music, but I thought it was a poor show and half the people dancing about near the stage looked too young to even know who he is, let alone the words to his songs

Well I've been busy so far this morning and can't type for sh** at the moment for some reason...went to curves, picked up some work from the school for Hannah and have sorted through two boxes and bedding filling up the spare room cupboard... now need to get back to some more stuff and nonsense.

Have a good day all... see you later
Old 02-05-2007, 11:49 AM   #84  
Slow and steady

S/C/G: 229/-/170 ish

Height: 5' 5"

Ooooooo, crossing posts. Hi Lynne I'll look out for you on the other site...

Peacock, you're Auntie sounds like my MIL.. no one will drive with her anymore though.... she scares everyone because she's such a speed demon....
Old 02-05-2007, 12:09 PM   #85  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinNJ View Post
Ooooooo, crossing posts. Hi Lynne I'll look out for you on the other site...

Peacock, you're Auntie sounds like my MIL.. no one will drive with her anymore though.... she scares everyone because she's such a speed demon....
Would this be a certain "British" site?
Old 02-05-2007, 12:18 PM   #86  

Funnily enough BritNJ - She once drove my dad and he said never again as she drove too fast and claimed she didn't - and for my Dad to complain about fast driving...... I do worry about him cos of horses crossing the road - well, alright crossing to the middle of the road and standing there. These horses are pavement hogs too. I had to go into the road to avoid being mowed down by one (no it wasn't galloping but I was a bit scared of it cos I hate when they snort at you). They own the New Forest and Beulieu is their village so paedestrians and car drivers beware (and bikers, Frus!)

Last edited by peacock 2; 02-05-2007 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Typos as usual
Old 02-05-2007, 01:02 PM   #87  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinNJ View Post
Sarah, a bullet hole in a PO? I thought those sorts of things only happened over here....I know we've had some mad moments at home, and I know more guns are around than there used to be, but I should enjoy your time at work and we'll all ignore the remarks that those stupid people have made to you.
Chris - Anything I can do to help with Hannah, please just let me know.
I don't really think the bloke in the PO was necessarily telling the truth - I think it was probably just said for effect, to make himself look 'big' and to scare us slightly (which worked a bit) - just seems odd to me that armed raids have been mentioned 3 times in as many days. *Twilight Zone music plays in the background*

The problem we have in this area is deer strolling across the roads, especially at dawn and dusk - and pheasant. Pheasant are seriously nuts - they don't seem to like flying so they try and outrun cars and then swerve in front of them, its like a massacre at the end of February, presumably thats when they're in a tiz because they're trying to find a mate or mating. The deer in this area tend to be the little 'uns about the size of a large dog (Mountjack, I think) - plenty big enough to write off a car though.

My ex step father was a maniac driver. He'd hurtle down side roads at silly speeds and then crawl along on motorways - generally speeding up to overtake another car then pull in in front of them and slow right down again. It got so bad that I refused to be a passenger in his car.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:56 PM   #88  

S/C/G: 213/166/137

Height: 5 ft

Hello everyone

I've been to the gym didn't do my full workout as I was strapped for time but had a run.

My Conor hurt his leg at footie yesterday some boy went into him with two feet which isn't allowed. He is very badly grazed by the boys studs. His knee is bruised and swollen. I let him stay off school today. I said to him you must let me put some Savlon on those grazes as they can easily get infected he said Savlon is too cold and stings. Didn't my hubby warm it on the radiator for him!!

My father has his last blast of radiotherapy tomorrow. He doesn't seem that good at the moment but hopefully after tomorrow he will begin to get some of his strength back.

Enjoy the rest of your evening

Michele
Old 02-05-2007, 03:46 PM   #89  

Chris I agree with you, I love Prince but that show was a bit stupid. I hope things start to look up for Hannah, I feel bad for her it sounds like she's going through some really tough times.

I need to find the strength to ditch this blanket and go to the gym, this weather is insane. My house is freezing.

I need to workout today I had a rough day at school, lost it on one of the kids, he just pushed me to the end of my rope. Teenage boys=challenging!!!

Helen hopefully you are all better now.

Michelle, I hope your Dad is fine tomorrow and asking for a Guinness

Frus be careful on that bike, funny about your husband blaming at you, I swear they are all like that.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:48 PM   #90  

All this talk about driving, it's bringing out my guilty side! I drive loads and although I'm not an agressive driver - I drive pretty sensibly, stay well away from peoples rear ends, and don't approach anything too fast - I do often put my foot down a bit on motorways. Until today that is...

I was just setting off down to Essex, when I got a phone call from our Head Office, to tell me that I'd been caught on camera speeding along the M62 in a 50 zone, my first ever speeding fine I didn't even know there was a 50 zone on the M62! I was so paranoid for the whole journey...absolutely convinced that every car behind me was an undercover police car! And what made it worse was that as soon as Head Office hung up I looked in my mirror to see flashing blue lights behind me, (not for me though cos I was going soooo slow!) Honestly, it must have been the slowest drive I've ever had!
Closed Thread