3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   Jaded Ladies Fitness & Exercise 101 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/99553-jaded-ladies-fitness-exercise-101-a.html)

Sassy_Chick 12-09-2006 06:30 PM

Jaded Ladies Fitness & Exercise 101

Welcome to the Jaded Ladies Fitness & Exercise 101! :woops: :lifter: :running: :trampo: :exercise: :boxing: :strong:

I thought we all could use a thread where we could go for Fitness & Exercise Tips or just basic general help with working out or exercising.

We can help each other with Fitness Myths and Facts too. Also we can maybe post here daily and keep track of our work outs & exercise.

So jump right in, the water is fine! :swim:

Sassy_Chick 12-09-2006 06:31 PM

Shattering a Few Fitness Myths

This was in my email and I thought it was very interesting and figured I would share?

Shattering a Few Fitness Myths
By Erin Johnson
Glee Contributor

Think a low-carb plan can work for you? Click here and complete a free personal profile to learn more about Atkins.

Ever see the ridiculous infomercials on television late at night that claim you can get shape in only six minutes a day?

Promotions such as these got Raphael Calzadilla, eDiets' chief fitness pro, thinking about how many people buy into these myths. He was one of six speakers to address a group of eDiets members and staffers at eDiets.com’s one-day seminar event recently in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. In his no-nonsense, down-to-earth style, Raphael discussed an easy-to-follow list of guidelines for losing fat and getting fit that separated fact from fiction.

“First and foremost, knowing the fundamentals of getting in overall better shape is necessary,” says the 2005 winner of the prestigious World Natural Bodybuilding Federation Pro-Card. He says there are three things that must be included in any workout plan:

1. Strength training to build muscle and increase bone density.

2. Cardiovascular exercise to burn additional calories and to strengthen the heart.

3. Intelligent caloric deficit and consistency.

Now, check out the myths and facts. You may be surprised at what you thought you knew!

MYTH: Women will build overly developed muscles if they work out with weights.
FACT: Because the primary muscle growth hormone is testosterone, and women have approximately one-third the amount compared to a man, putting on a ton of muscle is not going to happen unless you are on anabolic steroids or other chemical-enhancing drugs. Bulk is the combination of body fat sitting on top of muscle, or it’s simply excess fat. So once you reduce body fat, your muscles look will lean and tight.

MYTH: Spot reduction is possible.
FACT: No way! We have a predetermined number of fat cells in our body. The human body reduces the size of those fat cells all over the entire body at various rates of speed, but it can’t lose in just one area specifically. Let’s say you have more fat cells in your hips than in your legs. You’ll see a different rate of loss as far as speed, but your hips will lose -- it will just take a bit longer.

MYTH: To get a flat tummy, perform lots of crunches and leg lifts.
FACT: Performing crunches will never reduce the abdominal area because the exercise only serves to strengthen these muscles. To get a flat eight-pack, body fat levels simply need to drop. One exercise to make abs appear slightly flatter is to work the Transverse Abdominis by pulling ab muscles inward.

MYTH: Fans of cardiovascular exercise can zoom into the “fat-burning zone.”
FACT: Surely you’ve seen this naturally appealing option on treadmills recently. So if you just ate a large pepperoni pizza and set your treadmill to this magical zone, it will burn that right off? Sorry to burst the bubble here, but exercise is not that mystical! You can accomplish fat loss with a lot of different cardio methods. As long as you are in somewhat of a caloric deficit and work in a specific target heart rate (THR) zone for a sustained period of time.

Yes, you can achieve fat loss. But you can also do this through sustained cardio within THR for 30 to 50 minutes, or even interval training (combining low intensity effort with high intensity).

MYTH: One has the ability to “tone” or to get “toned up.”
FACT: Physiologically, there is no such thing as tone. A muscle can only do one of three things: grow, shrink or stay the same. Tone was marketed to help attract women to health clubs and to keep them from viewing exercise as a threat.

MYTH: Cellulite exists and you can make it vanish.
FACT: The name cellulite originated from French literature, referring to a disease of the skin cells. It is believed that Vogue magazine used the word referring it to “cottage cheese-like” fat in the 1960s and it stuck. The truth is fat storage compartments have different patterns in men and women.

Men’s diagonal compartments store smaller amounts of fat cells, as compared to women’s honeycomb shaped compartments that give fat a greater chance to bulge from the skin. Hey ladies, that’s just another perk of being a woman, right?!

The best way to be sure you know the facts and are not falling for some myth. Trust a reputable trainer or firm.

Erin Johnson is a fourth-year communications major at Florida Gulf Coast University.

http://www.gleemagazine.com/glee/art...2423380/cid_36

Jane 12-11-2006 09:00 AM

Our own 3fc moderator Meg has some very valuable info on exercise, too. Check out the stickies at this link from the exercise section of the boards:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34

Sassy_Chick 12-11-2006 08:42 PM

Hey Jane, thanks for the tip! :D

I haven't gotten a chance yet to exercise today, but I did get sick this morning so maybe tomorrow! :D

FrouFrou 12-22-2006 03:40 PM

Thanks Sassy for starting this thread...I need it! Not been getting much, if any exercise in but as soon as the holidays are over, come the 2nd of January I am getting back on track for sure.

HAPPY EXERCISING! :tread:

jules1216 12-22-2006 03:48 PM

I'll be here after Christmas too!!!

Sassy_Chick 12-22-2006 09:28 PM

Hey Gurls!

YW. I too will be starting after New Years! :D :D

FrouFrou 12-24-2006 04:12 PM

Here's to a "new" us in the New Year ladies! :hat: :cheers:

Sassy_Chick 12-24-2006 04:18 PM

:cheers: May we get into those skinny jeans..........;) :lifter:

Sassy_Chick 01-01-2007 11:47 PM

Okay its the New Year, what are your Exercise Goals for this year?

Mine 1st one is to simply do something. Even if its something small, better than nothing. My goal for this year is to have a regular exercise schedule and enjoy exercise. ;)

FrouFrou 01-03-2007 05:10 PM

Same here SASSY. Mine is to get back to doing some sort of exercise 6 days a week. The plan is to go to It Figures M-W-F and some Saturdays and walk on Tues & Thursday and the Saturdays that I don't go to IF. Also, once I get back in the habit of exercising I am going to try and add at least a mile walk to the days I go to IF. So far, so good. This week is a bit screwed up though since they were closed Monday, so that will apply next week. I went to IF yesterday and today so tomorrow I walk 2-3 miles.

Sassy_Chick 01-03-2007 07:33 PM

Well I'm proud to say I exercised early this morning! Nothing major, but I found an exercise show on tv and did it. I figure something is better than nothing at all!

suetalks 01-04-2007 01:35 AM

Sassy...My goal is to just move some each day...well, some movement other than the norm.
Today I walked and hopefully as I get feeling more like myself I will do more walking and some other exercises.
On the other thread you mentioned trying to give up soda. Have you tried Crystal Light? If I didn't have that I couldn't survive. AND it can count toward water. I drink at least 1/2 gallon per day.

Sassy_Chick 01-05-2007 03:03 AM

Hey Everybody!

Well no exercise today, but I did do leg lifts in my chair here at work, that should count for something????? Oh well, sorry but working 14 + hours I'm not too concerned about Exercise right at the moment! lol. Maybe I should be doing some to stay awake though! lmao!!!!!

jules1216 01-05-2007 07:38 AM

Going to the gym this rainy morning!!