Steel Magnolias #40

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to

• Good morning gals! I had a rough night with the stupid cold last night so I am kind of dragging this morning. I only have a bit of dusting and vacuuming upstairs besides morning chores so I am going to get at them when Jack goes to work and get them done. I kept clearing my throat in my sleep last night and kept waking up everytime I would do it.

Jean: I ordered several things from Amazon.com and they have sat on them for a week and they aren't going to be here until around the 16th or so. Part of it has to be shipped to dil and son and my dd wanted to ship everything by the 12th so guess this stuff will go later. Her husband works for FEDEX and gets 75% off his shipping so we were going to do it all together. At least the heavy thing (my son's fancy battery charger) will go. It makes me mad that it takes them so long to ship a couple kids games and a couple books for heaven's sake. I found this cool cordless battery charger that is a long thin box looking thing with a flashlight in the end. It will charge cars, laptops, cell phones, mp3 players, video games, etc without cables or cords. You recharge it by plugging it into the wall but it has like 500 charges in it at a time or something ridiculous like that.

Maggie: I just finished my dil's handbag and have started my dd's and her shrug. The shrug is this beautiful mint green and will look so nice wiht her red hair. I will be anxious to get it done and see how it looks. I have never knit one.

Well, Jack is done for breakfast so I need to go. Hope you all have a wonderful day today!

(I am adding my newest finished Christmas present. My dil's handbag. The first one I felted shrunk to kids size so I had to make another one!)

Faye
  • Good Evening, Flowers! The sky has been dark all day and it looked like it could snow any minute. It is 40 degrees so I suppose we will get freezing rain first. Well, the car thief came back to school today! I ignored him and he me so we got along fine. I am not holding my breath as to how long it will last. Now I have to spend the last 3 periods of the day with him although he is hidden behind a room divider on the opposite side of the room. The other two yahoos are in the same boat having missed so much school that they won't probably earn any credits for this semester. Just another day in paradise . . . . . .

Maggie -- I don't know how to get a horse picture here. If you go online it is on the WM website . . . Radio Flyer Liberty Spring Horse. I just hope it is as big as I think it will be. It sounds like yesterday was a busy one for you!

Susan -- Did you get your office Christmas party all planned while your boss was away? I don't do any Christmas baking either. I would be the one to eat it and I sure don't need it.

"Gma" -- I need to take inventory and see what I've got for whom. I figure I can always do gift certificates for the older kids. I have the grandchildren done if everything I ordered gets here. What irks me is the HUGE boxes they use to ship the teeny tiny items -- they could get 25 in the same box! The handbag turned out cute! Thanks for sharing the picture with us.

I'm waiting for Beth to call back so had better keep moving. I need to do a load of laundry yet tonight. There just never seem to be enough hours in the day to get everything done!

Have a wonderful Wednesday, Flowers!

Jean -- in Iowa!
  • Here you go Jean:

for Maggie
  • Hello there Magnolias

Not much to say from here but I have been busy doing holiday stuff.

JEAN That is best to just ignore that car theeeeef. I am surprised that they let him back in the school so quickly. AH but you can't keep education away from the little scoundrel.

FAYE That handbag is really nice! Thanks so much for showing the pictures of your projects. Also thanks for the pictue of that rocking horse! That was really neat of you to do that for me.

Well folks, it is beddy bye time for this tired Magnolia. Nighters.
  • Good morning ladies! Just a short one this morning as I took some cough medicine that has codeine in it and I am plain and simply doped!

Maggie: No problem with the horse. It took just a couple minutes to do. Hope you are getting in some good rest. I see you were up at 1 in the morning. I had taken the cough medicine and was sitting at Jack's computer for a few minutes to let it start working and that is when I posted the picture.

I have my dd's handbag about 2/3 done, but need to whip out a hat and slippers for the baby's fuzzy sweater as we need to get it shipped.

I will come back in later and post.

Faye
  • GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS ~ Well actually it is 12:30 ish here

As I type I am roasting some onions. They have balsamic vinegar, olive oil, honey and black pepper on them. They are sooooo good on sandwiches, in salads with eggs ~ lots of things. They are called Sweet Onions because the long slow roast gives them a deep sweet flavor. And the big plus is that they keep in the refrigerator indefinitely. Can you tell we like them?

Ragg Mopp has been a bad boy. He ran down the drive past the neighbors house and went across the street to visit "his" horses. And....he wouldn't come when called. So the poor dear is back on his lead. It is long and he can roam a distance in the yard but he MUST NOT go across the street. I hate to keep him tied up but don't want him to get squashed either. Maybe he will get the message and stay home after a few days.

FAY I got a chuckle out of your saying I was up at One o'clock. This site is set for your time I think and you are several hours ahead of us out here on the left coast. I still have a few things to get finished for presents to send off also. We will get them done so don't fret. Christmas is here, bringing good cheer. I love this season.

Have a wonderful day everyone.
  • Good Afternoon, Flowers! It is snowing and blowing in my corner of the world. I have bell choir at 5 tonight and I'm hoping the director will call it off. It was slippery driving home from school. I have a sinus headache that started this morning; I called Bob to pick up some Tylenol for Sinus and bring it to school for me. It helps for about an hour.

Maggie -- Ian still rides his horse all the time and "walks" it across the floor when doing so. Now I need to find a cowboy hat, to go with the horse, for Kolby. I hope Ragg Mopp gets the message about staying home! I found out today that the car thief was put on meds while he was gone. I'm sure that I am paying for them since his dad has no insurance. I must say that he has been pretty laid back and I hope that continues. Because he is special ed., he has more rights and privileges that a regular ed. student. I can almost smell your onions clear out here. YUM!

"Gma" -- Thanks for posting the horse picture! I could use some codeine right about now and I don't even have a cough. I hope you got a nice nap in this afternoon!

Well, I should change clothes and gear up for a trip into town. Hope you all enjoy your evening and have a terrific Thursday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
  • Back for a tad bit.
    H JEAN & Faye ~ I sure hope the two of you get to feeling back to exact soon. Being down especially this time of the year is really the pits. Know that I am thinking and praying for both of you.
  • Good morning girls! I tried to get some sleep, but my cold is preventing it so I decided to heck with it and just came downstairs to start the day.

My holiday shopping is trickling in little by little. A couple of the baby's things have been delivered to my son and dil and I got some stuff yesterday. I have to get going on the wrapping and I detest wrapping. I saw a commercial for Aleve last night on tv and the lady is a professional gift wrapper. I invited her to do mine, but she never showed up! I think most women like to wrap gifts, but I use gift bags as much as possible because I hate to wrap stuff. I have to get going because my dd wants to ship all the stuff to my son and dil the first of the week. I am still getting a pair of mittens done for the baby to go with the white fuzzy coat.

Jean: I expect you to keep that nasty white stuff up there in your part of the country! I don't want it down here. Isn't this the first significant snowfall you have gotten this year so far? Hope you are feeling a little better. The codeine made me violently ill once I was up yesterday and I vomited all day long. Everytime I would eat something, up it would come. It finally tapered off enough for me to at least eat some dinner last night.

Maggie: A week or so ago some idiot delivered to the front door instead of the back and Butterscotch decided to go out. He has no front claws and this idiot just stood there when I tried to get out to go get him. Our storm door opens out and we have large bushes on each side of the sidewalk so only one person can get through pretty much. Luckily, I yelled at him to stop and he did and let me pick him up. Scared me to death. I told the delivery person that under no circumstances were they to deliver to the front. It is stupid really, because they have to drive past our back to come around and park in the front and they have to park a ways away and walk up to the condo. If they come in the back, they can park in front of our garage and come right up the walk. I am thinking of putting a sign out that says all deliveries should be made to the back.

Well, chores are calling and I want to get those mittens finished.

Faye
  • Good Evening, Flowers! I made a WM and grocery store run after school today . . . my least favorite things to do, but I was low or out of just about everything. School really dragged today and I don't know if it was the cold weather, the holiday blahs, or what. The kids were pretty mellow considering finals begin a week from Tuesday.

Maggie -- Come and stay longer next time! Thanks for the healthy wishes.

"Gma" -- One side of my nose is plugged and then it will run, plug up again, and run. I'm hoping I can sleep tonight. My headache is gone which is good. I hope you are feeling better! We had more snow the end of October when they called off school for the day. This time it is just a light dusting, but the wind and dropping temperatures caused it to be so slippery. The roads were fine today.

I need to pick up a bit and then I'm heading to bed. Hopefully my nose will unplug tonight and I can sleep!

Have a fantastic Friday!

Jean -- in Iowa!
  • GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

I am one happy camper this day. At WW I showed enought loss to reach my 40#'s gone. (Again ~ but who is counting. ) I have the desire to get through "Christmas Holiday doings" a few pounds lighter.

JEAN Being stuffed up then running like an open faucet is absolutely the pits. How nice for you though that school hasn't been raucus. Maybe you can get through this week that way.

FAYE Ragg Mopp turned 2 today and is a teen ager now. OH JOY. That sure sounds like a good idea of yours to put up signs to have deliveries in the back. I am glad for you that your gifts have started ariving! Less stress for you now. You also! Can't have you both sniffeling around here.

Will bought a wonderful ham. Not a bit salty as some are known to be. I made some baked sweet potatoes and a nice green salad to go with for dinner and it sure was good.

Have a peaceful night folks. Type at you later.
  • Good {{{chilly}}} morning ladies! Coldest day of the year so far. It was terribly windy here yesterday and very chilly. It is 17 degrees right now and I know Jack has to be freezing. Hopefully he won't have a lot of outdoor work today.

I finished hat and mittens to go with my fuzzy sweater and am finishing up his little slippers then I am done baby knitting until after the holidays. I had to modify the little mittens as I made the first one and it was huge for like a 2 year old so I tore it all out and modified it to fit a 6 month old or so. By the time they are that old, they don't like to wear the mitts without the fingers so I made regular little mittens. The pattern said 6 months, but I think it was way off as my gauge was perfect. Anyway, they are finished and I am about halfway with the little slippers (they are just like the little white ones I posted only bigger and in the varigated baby colors like the hat and mittens with a row of "fuzz" around the top to match) I still have the handle to do on my dd's handbag and that to felt and sew together then finish her shrug and my holiday knitting is finished. I am going to have to buy my sister her birthday present this year because it is a day after Christmas and I have run out of knitting time.

Maggie: Ham sounds good and great minds think alike. I bought one too and we are having ham for dinner tonight! The terrible teenage years. Our animals are adults in human years but still behave like toddlers... Butterscotch has the Grinch orneries lately and has been chasing Fortune and jumping on him and such for a couple weeks now. Don't know what has gotten in to him.

Jean: Hope you got some sleep last night. I coughed on and off, but managed to sleep in spurts so I am not too tired. My ears are bothering me this morning though and I need to cough stuff up not just cough so I can get rid of this. I can feel it in my chest rattling around. More decongestant for me today!

I received Thomas's tote yesterday and it is wonderful. Great quality, nice and sturdy and will be able to take a good banging around by a little kid. It was well worth the money and the stamping on the front looks so cute.

Well, I need to finish chores so I am going to go. You ladies all have a wonderful day and stay warm!

Faye
  • I hope all you "sick" ones are now well and done with this for this season.

Faye, love your knitting. I need to get more ambitious.

Jean, guess these special ed kids can steal cars and get away with it! Sorry you have to deal with him and the others again.

Maggie, doing the happy dance for your weight loss - inspiring to the rest of us. You can set the time to the one for your area in your profile.

Stan has been bugging me about what i want for Christmas and I finally decided to tell him what I really want - a year's membership to Curves so I'm going Monday night to sign up - $100 off the registration fee, free rest-of-December and 2006 prices throughout 2007 ($29 but going up to $39 in January). It is only a 10 minute walk from my house so I can walk there and back when the weather is good and have a little more exercise. I thought he might think it was a silly thing to ask for, but since he has been going to therapy he feels better with the exercise.

Have a great weekend -- type at you Monday.
  • Good Evening, Flowers! I could lay down and take a nap with no problem! Our director of special ed. had an open house today after school -- she puts out fancy munchies, pop, beer, wine, you name it. I stayed for about an hour and when I got home Bob thought he needed supper so we left again. I should make a grocery list and start on a Christmas dinner menu. I think ham will be the main event!

Maggie -- Congrats on the wonderful loss! My heaache is gone but I am more stuffy today. I'm also thirsty and have been drinking alot of water. I will probably spend the night running to the bathroom.

"Gma" -- I'm glad that your Christmas gifts are arriving finally! The horse came yesterday and I'm a bit upset. The end of the box was open! It doesn't look like anything was damaged but Bob is going to take it out of the box and check to make sure all of the parts are there. You sure have alot of patience with your knitting projects! I know they will come out perfect or else!

Susan -- The car thief asked me today if I was still mad at him. He is reverting back to his old behavior of arguing and trying to get out of doing his work. I just ignore him and let the other teacher handle him. I didn't realize that Curves is that expensive. We have one here and I have been tempted to check it out. The main problem is that it is on the main street downtown and parking is a problem. I think that is a great Christmas !

Hope you all have a nice evening. I didn't sleep very well last night so am hoping to head off to bed a bit earlier tonight. Have a super Saturday!

Jean -- in Iowa!
  • GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

The wind has kicked up a bit blowing from the coast so maybe we will get some rain. I hope so anyway.

FAYE Thanks for showing us another masterpiece that you made. You are doing so good. I am glad for you that you are feeling somewhat better. Burrrr ~ 17 there! Have you gotten any snow?

SUSAN I look at your stats and am so proud of your success and got a chuckle out of what you said! Girl if anyone is an inspiration you get the blue ribbon for sure. What a wonderful gift you are getting. There isn't one around here close enough anyway for me to join or I would.

JEAN I am so glad you are feeling better. You must be looking forward to your time off for the Holiday. I certainly hope all the parts are there. We once ordered a piece of macinery and the box came in pristine condition but the article inside was dented like it had been a car wreck ~ needless to say the company had to pay to come pick it up and deliver an undamaged rototiller. They were looking at the paperwork trying to figure out who in the warehouse had purposely packaged that damaged tiller.

I am off to drink my coffee and talk with my main squeeze.