Had the baby, now getting fit

You're on Page 2 of 5
Go to
  • Happy Monday!
    Hi all! Hope everyone had a great weekend. Ours was heavenly... We drove up to San Diego for the weekend. DH's brother and family live there, so we came to visit and show off the baby. We got a four star hotel room on priceline, at the Westin Horton Plaza Hotel, for fifty bucks a night. It was GREAT. On the way to SD, we stopped at all of the baby outlet shops in Barstow, CA - like Children's Place. Got some great stuff for Megan - like an adorable sweater for $4.00, that was normally $28!! I love outlets! We did family stuff on Friday night, then spent Saturday at Balboa Park. It was great to just walk around and relax. (Good exercise too, which is how I justified away all of the junk I ate on the trip...) Then we went to the beach in the early evening and watched the sunset together. It was very romantic, except that DH was carrying the baby in a snugli, hee-hee... We drove home yesterday.

We love going to SD - we go as often as we can get away. It's so much cooler there, and I love how green it is, and how much there is to do. I would love to live there, but the housing prices are OUTRAGEOUS. I doubt we would be able to afford a home there, and we love the little nest we have here. I was afraid that having a baby would mean the end of our weekend trips, but she was an angel. She slept almost all the way up and back (we woke her up halfway through the 6 hour drive to feed her), and she slept great in her bassinet in the hotel room. But I know she'll get a lot harder to handle when she is a little older - A car trip with a 2 year old doesn't sound like much fun, LOL.

I had a bad diet weekend - won't talk about that. But today is a new day - and I'm determined! We are going to the YMCA today, to check out the cost. Hey, do any of you have painful stretch marks? My incision from my c-section doesn't hurt at all, but my stretch marks really do... Not to sound wimpy, but every time that my pants, or whatever I'm wearing, touch my stretch marks, it really hurts - making exercise quite painful. I've been putting an Ace bandage around the area, but it doesn't help much. I put lots of lotion with Aloe on the area, three or four times a day. I have a drs. appt this week, hopefully he can tell me something.

One food problem I have is that DH does the cooking (No, THAT isn't the problem), and he cooks such fattening things. I hate to tell him what to cook, when I'm just so grateful that he's willing to do it at all - I'm a horrible cook. We're both chubby, and we talk about getting in shape, but when it boils right down to it, he doesn't want to change the kinds of things he cooks. Any suggestions?

Audri - Hi!! That's so cool that you live in Henderson! We are thinking about selling our house (we live in the far Northwest, in Elkhorn Springs), and moving to Green Valley. What part of Henderson do you live in? My in-laws (parents AND SIL/BIL) live out off of Horizon road... Sunset Park is great, isn't it? That's a HUGE park - how far does the walking path go? I'm really impressed that you walk around it twice! I love the age your little one is at - I love when they are learning to talk...

Mary - Welcome! I'm sorry about the PPD - I know that is really rough. Hopefully we can all support and motivate each other! Geneve is right, cluster feeding is basically feeding them enough at night to give them the calories to sleep through the night. For example, Megan usually eats at 6PM, then at 8PM, then I wake her up again to feed her at 10PM. She will usually sleep between 6-7 hours after that. Before I started feeding her that way 2 or so weeks ago, she only slept 3 hours at a time (she is 6 weeks old tomorrow). It's an idea borrowed from the "Baby Whisperer" book. What is the difference between WW and WW123?

Geneve - You can't fool me, I read your profile - you live in England! In Seaside, right? THAT sounds exotic. It sounds very romantic actually... What is it like there? Is it like it sounds, right on the ocean? I would love to go to Europe someday. The only place outside of the US that I've been is Mexico. I'm so excited for you that Leo slept that long - it's so great when it happens, huh? How was your weigh in?

Jen - Hope your baby settled down for you... Sometimes don't you wish they could talk and tell you what was wrong? Did he sleep better for you last night? That makes such a huge difference (for us and for the babies!). I'll have to try the smaller plate - thanks for the tip!

Talk to you all later!

Sue
  • Hello moms!

Mary-are you a member of TOPS again? I hear all the support you can get can really help at times like these...

Geneve-did you weather the storm ok?

Sue-I live in old Henderson. Basically downtown. I work at the Henderson campus of CCSN. Mom lives in GV as does my mom in law. My sis lives past Centenial PKWY. The path around the pond @ sunset is exactly one mile. I try to walk on Thrusday mornings but lately it hasn't happened very often. I have walked for 5 days straight. The scale isn't budgeing but I am feeling alot more alive. I walked to work today to avoid dealling w/ the baby and the stroller. That works out wonderfully. I only have to leave 40 minutes before. And BF doesn't have to wake up at the crack of dawn and I can walk alone! Yeah!!!! Gotta get the baby down to sleep. Chat more tomorrow. ~flower/audri
  • Hi all. I had a pretty good weekend as far as diet and exercise go, got out for a couple of walks and did pretty well not pigging out. I'm done to my last 10 pregnancy pounds and I feel very good about that. We're just going to go out now for a walk before it starts raining or worse. The baby is still being fussy at night and not settling. I think it is gas and not colic as it usually only lasts an hour or so. Last night I laid him down on the couch and I was moving his legs as if he were walking and that seemed to calm him down right away. Now I know that gas is usually eased with walking so that plus that I can hear a lot of rumbling in there leads me to believe that he is just gassy. How much more do I have to burp this kid to get rid of all the gas? Any suggestions?

Sue - sounds like you had a nice weekend. Yes I definately wish that the baby could tell me first hand what is wrong, I am not very good at figuring it out yet.

geneve - I have been trying the cluster feedings and so far I only had one night where he went down early and stayed asleep for several hours. I'm hoping that trying to feed him more often is not contributing to his gas. Don't blame you for taking a time out from your hubby, mine needs to pick up helping out a bit too or the least he could do is not be so grumpy in the mornings.

Mary - we welcome everyone! Tell me about not having time to do anything!!! And I only have the one kid, I can't imagine trying to manage 2. I think someone else explained the cluster feedings, basically it is feeding as much as they will take every 2 hours during the evening starting at 5 or 6 pm and if you are breast feeding supplementing with formula if your baby is old enough to take a bottle without getting confused. I am expressing my milk so I give him half and half. It sounds like it is working for some moms but not me yet. It is supposed to get your baby to sleep 5-6 hours at least straight through.

Okay is it just me or does everyone have a different opinion on raising a baby? I say something to someone, like my mom or my husband's best friend's wife and they'll be like, oh no, you should do it this way and yet all the baby books say to do it a totally different way. For example and I'd like people's opinion on this, can you spoil a newborn baby? I say no and everyone else seems to say yes. A newborn doesn't know anything about anything so how can they manipulate you? I can't stand to just let my baby sit there and cry, I have to pick him up. Sometimes I'll give him a minute or 2 to see if he will settle himself but usually he doesn't so I'll pick him up and sometimes he will settle in a few minutes just by cuddling with me. What is so wrong with that? Well I'd better get going if I am going to get this walk in today. Take care all.
  • Jen-I still can't let Grif cry and cry even if I am at wits end and he's one now. I wish I could have and life would be easier but it isn't in my nature. I am a nuturer. Do what feels right to you. And there is no way you can please all your relatives and friends. I quit trying years ago! audri
  • Hey everyone! I just found this group...got room for one more?

My son just turned one on Sept. 11th and I am still fighting the battle of the bulge! I had lost 97 lbs prior to getting pregnant then gained most of it back! I am struggling to get it off now. Its going so much slower this time because I am having a hard time finding the time to exercise. I rejoined WW and have lost 15.5 lbs so far...I joined the gym and have just started going on Mon, wed and fridays. So hopefully this will help! I want to at least get back to where I was before I got pregnant then work my way down from there.

Jen/Audri....I could never let Andrew cry for more than a few minutes and he isn't spoiled. If he wakes up crying lightly I know that he will go back to sleep..but once he starts crying loudly I have to go to him. I put him in our bed a couple of times but didn't want to get in that habit. Now I bring him his sippy cup with milk and he drinks what he wants and goes back to sleep. He only gets up once in the night now. When he was an infant he got up every two hours like clock work.

Well I better get going...I am at work right now and have a few things to get done before the boss lady comes in!! LOL I'm glad I found this group!
  • Morning everyone. We had a great night last night. Someone in another group told me about this med called OVOL which is for gas pain. Well I gave Drake some in his 10pm feed and he was perfect all night. No crying and screaming. Oh joy! He didn't sleep through the night even though I tried the cluster feeding but he was only up for about 30 minutes at 330 and went right back to sleep after taking his bottle. It was so nice not to have to listen to all that. It gets so frustrating. I hope this stuff helps. I'm not going to give it all the time or I'll get him addicted to it or it will stop working but it is nice to know there is something out there that does help. I agree with you other ladies, I can't stand listening to him crying for more than a few minutes. You know that particular cry that isn't going to stop after a minute.

Got in a walk yesterday and my eating was okay, not great but okay. Doing better everyday I think. Well small steps. I'd better get going as I need to pump and then get some lunch for myself. Take care.
  • warm welcome
    Thank you all for your warm welcomes and the wonderful info on cluster feedings. I too feed Ryan around 4, 8 and them he is up again at 1:30 and 4 so I will have to try this. Sorry for not replying sooner but my stupid internet was down for a couple days. Well someone is crying reallyyyyy bad right now so I must go but I can't wait to read more. Take care and have a great day ladies.
    Mary
  • Hi all!
    Hi guys. Hope you're all having a great week so far. One more day till the weekend!

Well, since all I've had today are raisins and Hi-C fruit snacks, I guess I've stayed under my calorie count, but um, not in a very healthy way. It is hard to find the time to think of something healthy to eat, make it, and actually eat it... I haven't gone out for exercise either. Sigh. I'm just not feeling very motivated. I think I need a goal. I feel like I have so much to lose that it's unattainable. Maybe I'll have to look at it in small steps. Like focus on the first 10 pounds first or something.

Welcome Michelle! Wow - 97 pounds! That's an amazing accomplishment. How did you stay motivated?

Jen - I can't handle hearing Megan cry either. Matter of fact, she is fussy today, so I'm carrying her around in a Snugli, and I don't care if it spoils her or not! She's 6 weeks old, I don't think I'll cause any lasting damage to her temperment, LOL.

Well, big hellos to everyone. I hope everyone will share their tips on how to stay motivated/positive, because I seriously need some right now!!!!
  • Hi everyone, I'm afraid I've bveen staying away in the hope i'd be able to report a 'good' day but alas it has yet to happen.
    As the diet is going so poorly, I'm going to work on the exercise thing. I have been doing my 50 sit ups every other night to try and firm up my jelly belly, and on Monday I'm hading to the local gym to see what they say. DH is thrilled, after 4 years of depressed me he seems glad to have strpooy me back again, his birthday is on halloween and he says he's so pleased to see me fighting back again I can buy him my gym membership as his present! Mind you, maybe he's just sick of having such a lardy lump hanging around!!
    Leo sleeping much better now, although Ted the 4 year old is having a run of bad dreams...if I don't slim down we'll have to get a bigger bed, it seems awfully crowded some nights! I don't know about you guys but I hate having either of the kids in bed with us, sometimes I'm just too tired to put Leo back in his room, I have no ability in this area at all, I can't do a thing when I'm tired and have a terrible sense of balance and can't get him into the cot without stumbling, half the time I wake him up again then have to wait and wait...
    DH loves having the kids in bed and will happily sleep cuddling up to a fidgety grizzly bundle (or one of the children LOL) but I cannot do it and usually end up on the floor or in the spare room.
    Well, still nothing lost, nothing gained. Somehow, somewhere I must get some willpower. Back to basics I think, fridge full of bottled water and porridge.
    I still think I will get there...
    Good wishes to all of you...good nights sleep and goodbye to colic forever...my first baby had colic and it drove me mad...the only thing that helped him was switching to Avent bottles, not sure why...though I suspect he just grew out of it as they do.Oh, and sitting them on your lap and 'cycling' their legs about, again don't know why!! Good exercise though, especially you keep on for hours and hours and hours..........
    Geneve
  • Hi...
    Where is everyone? Busy with babies?

I started Weight Watchers today. I am feeling hopeful... We are also going out to buy a weight set thingie today. It has a weight bar to work your legs, one of the things so that you can do butterflies, a pull down bar, and a bunch of other stuff. I'm going to start using that every other day and then either walking with the baby or using my treadmill. That is what got my weight off before (about five years ago, I got down to 140 by exercising and eating healthy, but it all came back when I started being super sedentary again). I'm not even going to focus on the TOTAL amount of weight I need to lose - that's just too overwhelming. Instead I'm going to focus on the first 20 pounds. Make that my goal... Then I'll worry about the rest of it later.

I just really don't want my baby girl to have such a fat mom. I want to be in shape so that I can be a good role model for her, you know? Also, I don't want to be too tired to be able to play with her...

Wow Geneve, 50 situps, I don't know if I could do that many (isn't that sad!). You motivated me to give it a shot - I'm going to try tonight to see how many I can do. My hubby is the exact opposite of yours, he doesn't like having the baby sleep with us - but then again, neither do I. Luckily, she seems to do fine in her crib. But she won't nap in there during the day. She'll only take naps in her car seat. I wonder why that is - I wonder what she is thinking in her baby brain? Huh.

Well, better run. Have a great weight loss day everyone!!!
    Sue
  • My 12 month old is still sick. We are thinking maybe allergies. He is fine till about 3 days after the decogestant runs out. So, we have him on an allergy/decogestant for aweek. Something must work because I was up every 10 minutes last night. He couldn't sleep laying down. So I would have to hold him. I tried him sleeping proped up, but nope, he wanted to cuddle with me and wipe his snot all over me. Lucky me? I don't have health insurance for me. The children do. I went to work on no sleep. Actually I was looking forward to getting away. Sad huh? I can't cook or clean or anything right now. The city is replacing our gas line. I suppose it will be cold sandwiches or frozen dinners. I don't mind. Not very hungry anyways. I will try to get my veggies in. I always feel better if I eat veggies. ~flower
  • Can I join you folks?

I was here before and haven't been able to make it back in a long time......was it really August 11th last time I was at this board?!

Anyway I had my baby in May and thought I was doing well watching what I was eating.........but my appetite got HUGE and I allowed myself to eat with abandon (because after all I am nursing a baby and she is a good size baby) .....but the time has come for me to REALLY watch what I am eating or I will blow up even larger!

So five months after having my baby I am ready to start paying attention to my growing body. True I did wear my regular clothes throughout this pregnancy, but it is a bit depressing to see things that fit me at 7 months fitting me now too.

So please let me know if I can join you folks. I know I don't get as much time on the computer anymore but I remember I did find this forum very helpful when I was first looking to do something about my weight.

Barb
  • Of course!
    Welcome, welcome, WELCOME Barb! I think the thread's been a bit slow lately because we're all so busy with our little ones... but I hope that you will find the support you are looking for here.

Flower, I'm sorry about your baby's cold - poor baby. I hope he is feeling better? Megan has the sniffles right now, but no runny nose. I am praying that it doesn't develop into a full blown cold.

I have been doing good so far on the WW (wow, three whole days, ha-ha-ha). I also went on walks both days, and plan to do so today too. My hubby is supposed to start putting together our weight station today - we'll see!

I got a bonus from my work, so DH and I decided that we would each buy some new clothes, since its been FOREVER since we've done that. We basically both need new wardrobes. We are both kicking around in the same clothes we had when we got married five years ago, for the most part. It's depressing though, I don't want to go buy a bunch of clothes in my current size. Ugh. I decided that I'm going to buy a few things now, out of sheer necessity, and then put aside the rest of my "share" for after I lose a few pounds. Maybe after I hit each 25 pound goal, I'll go buy myself a few things as a reward...

Sigh. We'll see.
    Sue
  • Welcome BC, nice to have more people joining, it's hard to post regularly with babies to tend to but always good to hear from you.
    Sue, I think you should buy yourself a few new things, personally I find new clothes motivate me...slobbing round in your comfy old stuff is cosy but if you're anything like me that means 'camoflage', clothes that stop you being noticed and make you feel like no one will notice those new extra pounds.
    I was going to go out and but a new pair of jeans in whatever size fits snugly as an incentive to make them a bit loser, but instead I invested my money in joining the nearest gym. Went an d had a look round today and although no one in there was my size I think I can get through it. Induction is tomorrow which will be the worst bit, I imagine scales and body fax indexes will be involved but it's only an hour and after that I can go when I want. The gym also has a creche two mornings a week and does all kinds of classes, so if I can't fact the gym itself i could do yoga or something aerobic.
    Many years ago I was a regular gym goer and pretty fit, it is going to be hard going back right at the bottom of the ladder, but I don't seem to be able to eat less at the moment and this is the only other way I know. think of me tomorrow and I'll let you know how it goes.
    Geneve.
  • Thank you for the welcome.

I love getting new clothes even if I am not the best size to show them off in. There is just something nice and crisp about wearing something new. Enjoy it! Besides the best defence for being larger is having nice clothes (at least I have always thought so).

Geneve I use to go to the gym regularly when my kids were young. I enjoyed the contact with other mothers and even made some friends there. I haven't headed back there because a little over a year ago I went and splurged some money into my favorite aerobic machine from the gym. I got a home model but it cost as much as 6 or7 years of the gym. I know it was a lot to pay but I did it so I could work out at home. Besides the gym often had a line for the machine. I was working at the time so we had a bit more income than we had been use to for all the years I was at home.

Like I said I have the tools, I just have to USE them!

Barb