Old 09-22-2006, 11:21 AM   #16  

DH is doing a lot better. They put a cast on his residual leg today to protect it in case he falls during theraphy. Psychologist talked to him yesterday and he seemed to be in a better frame of mind last night, planning and looking forward to going home when a few days ago he was fearing it.

Jean, sorry for your lose, hope you have a safe trip.

Faye, hooray for Jack. I know you are so relieved he is doing so well. I hope your shoulder clears up. I had a bout with bursitis 4 or 5 years ago and wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Today is the first day of fall - where did the summer go?

I'm back on the SB wagon and back down to 152 so I am happy. Still have 7 more I'd like to lose.

Have a great week end!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 02:54 PM   #17  

Just a short check in this afternoon. Jack is sleeping right now as I gave him a percocet about half an hour ago so he could exercise. He walked to the end of the condo garages and back, which is pretty good. He also climbed the stairs, bathed by himself and came back down them today so he got some good exercise. He is now able to expand his chest and deep breathe without pain or coughing. He is doing phenomenally well with it all and his scar is healing nicely.

The company went home thank goodness. I had to grocery shop this morning and cart it all in by myself and put it all away. It was a nice visit and I think I finally got through to the woman that I am a NICE person and really loved her brother. They were total slobs though and I cooked and cleaned up 2 meals a day for a whole week along with doing all the linen laundry and even a load of their clothes plus all the running back and forth to the hospital. My house was a wreck when they left because they are pretty slobby so I have been cleaning all the downstairs today and have all the cleaning done except for mopping floors and shampooing the dining room (my poor yorkie acted out by peeing everywhere in there) which I am going to do tomorrow. I am pretty pooped but except for trying to catch up laundry and get the beds remade with new linen I am done for the day. Well, I am going to cook us dinner later too.

I am going to brag a little bit on my son. They have been unable to come down and will be coming the first week of Oct I think. My birthday is next Thursday and I got a birthday card and check from them. I have to tell you, with all that I have been through, the exhaustion, cooking, cleaning, entertaining, and hospital stuff, this just made all that go away. Here is what he wrote on my card:

"Mom, You are so beautiful and kind. I know now that many of the qualitites I have looked for in people I first saw in you. I couldn't have asked for a better mother and I cherish the time we are able to spend together. I hope you have a wonderful birthday, Your loving son, Jay." Good bless him, he was just what I needed!

have a good Saturday gals!

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 07:19 PM   #18  

Good Evening, Flowers! I feel like I have had NO weekend whatsoever and tomorrow is Monday already -- Homecoming week to boot. We spent roughly 16 hours driving, an hour of visitation, and an hour for the funeral which makes for a long trip. Ian came along so people that knew Jason at that age were tickled to see him. He did keep things lively in the car! We had a two hour church service this morning to honor the 100th anniversary of our sanctuary. It was music, music, and more music (Bob's group sang, we played bells, the choir sang, and the "praise team" from second service performed); three ministers returned to make short comments so it was fun and the time did go quickly. We passed on the potluck and drove through KFC on the way home. I've been doing laundry all afternoon and Bob just left for a three day school in Des Moines. Now the rest of the evening is mine to regroup for myself.

"Gma" -- I'm glad to hear that Jack is home and know he will recuperate much quicker there. I'm sure you have been cleaning your heart out . . . I hate having sloppy company! Your son sounds like a real sweetheart!

Susan -- I'm glad to hear that Stan is doing better. I hope he is home soon. Even though our trip was a fast one, I'm glad that we went. I only wish we could have spent more time visiting, but looking at an 8 hour drive isn't fun either. Congrats on the loss!

Hope you all have a marvelous Monday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 06:17 AM   #19  

Good morning girls! We are trying to set up a routine so we aren't completely mixed up with days and nights since we will be in the house so much for the next few weeks and Jack sleeps so much with the meds. I continue to try and get my cleaning done, but yesterday I was exhausted. I had to go to the commissary to get groceries for a couple weeks and didn't have anyone to keep an eye on Jack so I had to take him with me. He has to ride in the back seat because we have a passenger side air bag, then I had to get him in a scooter, shop, get the stuff loaded, get him back in the car, bring it home, get him in and settled (the trip wiped him out) and then bring in all the groceries and put them away. By the time I was done with all that, there was no way I was going to do any cleaning. I ended up taking a nap while he did yesterday afternoon.

I have to call and set up his rehab appts today and his cardiology appt in 3 weeks. I am beginning to feel like a social secretary too with all these appts he is going to have to be on.

Jean: When I talked to my son yesterday, I told him he was such a liar (regarding all the things he said in the card) and he said "You get to hear that once a year on your birthday." I asked him about Mother's Day and he said he thought it would make my head big so maybe he can do a combo Mother's Day and birthday card inbetween both days with mushy sentiments one time! He's such a stinker. When Jack talked to him and said something about me he said I was the best mom in the world to take care of him. Hope the visit, though a sad occasion was nice. I got a chuckle out of the skipping potluck and doing KFC instead.

I am putting my dieting on hold for just a couple weeks until I can get Jack where he is eating meals. Right now I am not cooking dinner at night because Jack is having a lot of nausea with the medicine so he is eating mostly chicken noodle soup and oj. It is also tough to try and find time to cook and I know Susan must experience this with all of the stuff with Stan going on.

Other than that, we are peachy keen here! My grandson came over the other night and did his Boy Scout pledge for me. He was soooooo cute! We promised him another trip to Chuck E Cheese when his report card comes out if it is good (probably a done deal because he has straight A's right now his mom says) but it will have to wait until Jack is back at work because it costs us like $50 to go!

Have a good morning gals! I almost said Sunday until I realized it whizzed by yesterday!

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:49 AM   #20  

Faye, so glad you have Jack back home and on the mend. Your son's message is true - you are a loving and caring person. Our birthdays are close - mine is Oct. 9.

Jean, glad your trip went well, although sorry it was for such a sad reason.

I've been eating dinner with Stan. They send his tray to the dinning room and I go through the line so I've been pretty much on SB except for some carrot cake yesterday.

I'm going to go to Stan's theraphy sessions this afternoon so I know how to help him at home. My big problem now is how can I get a wheelchair ramp by Friday.

I signed up for my Social Security to start Jan 1 although I plan to work full time until end of June. I can make $33,000 the first 6 months without penalty, then I'll be normal retirement age and can make all I want. Not that I get paid that much. Stan's disability will go up a little too because he gets 50% of the amount I do...$ counts at our house. She also said he will automatically go on Medicare February 1. That will be a blessing in itself.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote