Old 09-12-2006, 03:53 PM   #76  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Height: 5'7''

Amanda...I think another thing to think about in regards to food is that you dont have to say goodbye to everything you once loved. The WAY we ate...YES!! Obviously thats not working for us, but there is a way to enjoy those foods in a healthier way. Who was it that had the healthy taco salad the other night? Making your own pizza with whole wheat pita bread as the crust. Did you know you could make one of those loaded with toppings for only 500 calories? And they are awesome!! Chicken tacos! Turkey burgers. These things dont have to taste bland and icky. We CAN learn a new way of eating the same foods. And then moderation kicks in! Frankly I'm glad to say goodbye to my old ways because they didnt make me feel very good. Think about your energy levels when you ate like that. And the aches and pains for no good reason...well the reason was your body wasnt functioning right. And compare that to now! So yes its sad to let it go...but HELLO, look at what you get in return!

Trish...I'm right there with you girl!! The old highschool cheerleader is gonna come out and you girls dont want to see me in my old skirt, you really really dont! LOL!! No meat for 3 days?? OOOH girl now that'd be a challenge for me!! Something to seriously think about!

Books...I LOVE to read!! I'm rereading the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. My absolute FAVORITE series!! Has everyone else read these? I could talk about those characters like they were real people! LOL!!

You know what else might be fun...what if we had a night where we al made the same dinner? Find some lowfat/lowcal recipe, even low carb that we could all try. Even if its just a side dish. Maybe we could share our faves and all of us make it the same night??

What about a points challenge? Anyone ever done these before? They can be really fun and can really keep you on track doing what you need to do. I've got one if anyone wants the info let me know!

Sara...your other half is wrong! Toning up can have some amazing drastic results on weightloss. yes it takes a bit longer in the beginning because you start building muscle, but if you keep your measurements you'll see some serious shrinking. Muscle burns more calories than fat does so the more you can build up the better off you are. Those videos are great for that. Plus they get your heart rate up which obviously is GREAT for your heart! You wont find me running anytime soon either, not unless the neighbors wanna hear flap flap flap flap all the way down the road!

Altari...welcome back!!! Congrats on the house and on quitting smoking!! I'm so proud of you for that!! yes low carbing and no smoking, oh girl the next few days I'm gonna hide from you! LOL!! Be careful with your lowcarbing though, yes you'll lose alot in the beginning for that jumpstart but if you go right back into eating the carbs again it'll all come right back. Do it gradually, your body will thank you!! Ah detox!! LOL!!

Whew...LOL!! I think that shake gave me a sugar rush, either that or you girls have fired me up!!

~melissa
Hun.e.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 03:56 PM   #77  
How does this thing work?

S/C/G: 250/221/150

Height: 5' 5"

Sara, we are small in number, but big in mouth.

Melissa - How can we be a better support system for you? You're always looking out for us, I'm sure everyone would like to do the same for you.
Two days in a row is no small thing. It has to start somewhere, right? Congrats!
Amany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 04:06 PM   #78  
Melissa

Amanda its not you guys, its me. I can make every excuse in the world. But now I'm looking at things like this.....if I lose weight the pain will go away. That is what drives me. Lord knows I've got a million other reasons to do this but this is the one that is gonna keep me on the straight and narrow. Thanks for asking though! Everyone just keep doing what you are doing!

~melissa
Old 09-12-2006, 04:08 PM   #79  

Melissa, it's definitely the habit. It's the habit had me eating too much of certain foods. And far too often. If I told you about the type of eating I'd been doing, your hair would stand on top of your head.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:32 PM   #80  
Melissa

OH I dunno about that I bet I could have given you a run for your money! LOL!! Thats all in the past though isnt it!

~melissa
Old 09-12-2006, 05:23 PM   #81  
Mardi Gras'07 New Orleans

S/C/G: 253/253/160

Lightbulb

yea i learned alot of tricks as far as eating like for one i dont like eating just plain egg whites so i use 1 whole egg and 1 or 2 egg whites vs 3 eggwhites to make an omlett or whatever

also i learned about a sunrise smoothie that is made with crystal light sunrise,strawberries and ice

i do the mini pizzas with bagels or flat bread and use 2% chez

the whole wheat spegetti does not taste any different than the regular(and im not an wheat person)

sarah lee bread taste like white
or either white wheat bread

the main thing i learned its not really about being low calorie you mainly have to realize portion size mean everything so i use a smaller plate so i cant tell the difference

edys light ice cream is alot better than reg. and there are tons of popsicles and fudgepops that are low cal

also i tend to use the outline that i learned with the micheal thurmond diet
i couldnt stick with the actual diet which consists of no salt or butter or dairy but the foundation was pretty good and that was
breakfast- protien , fruit
am snack- protein, fruit
lunch-protein, carb,veg
pm snack-protein, carb,veg
dinner-protein,carb,veggies

i had a hard time eating that many times but i would basically go by this
i think im going to start a grade my plate type thing
my favorite saying is more heads is better than 1
miafluker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 05:26 PM   #82  

by the way melissa can you tell me more about the point thing, i do ww right now or was doing it was alot easier than counting calories because i can basically look in my fridge now and tell what i can eat without overeating
Old 09-12-2006, 05:30 PM   #83  
Melissa

Hi Mia!! See I dont like the whole wheat pasta its...prickly, its the texture I dont like. But you are right tastes the same if you can get past that. I like the Barilla Plus pasta and its got omega 3s added.

The sugar free dreyers icecream is REALLY good too!

You are so right, its all about portions and moderation. Thats exactly how I'm trying to look at things and just make better choices getting those portions.

the point challenge is basically each day you keep track of how many points you earn. And you set a point goal for yourself for the week or month. And then for example here is how you'd earn points:
1 point for drinking your goal in water
2 point for exercising
1 point for journalling
1 point for offering support to others
2 point for sticking to your eating plan
1 point for not eating past a certain time of night
1 point saying something nice about yourself
1 point for having healthy snacks

So for a perfect day you'd get 10 points.

~melissa

Last edited by Hun.e.B; 09-12-2006 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:14 PM   #84  
I believe in miracles

S/C/G: 212/212/130

Height: 5'1

Melissa thats funny a coworker and myself couldn't remember how to spell pizzazz, so we guessed. Lol. Good catch, am always at work so my typing is always fast and i tend to misspell alot of stuff.

But you have a lot of great ideas? We just all need to decide which ones we can we do as a group that would be fun and inspiring to all of us. I'm open to anything you ladies would like to try, cooking, reading, water, no meat, jogging, whatever.

Melissa you and Mia just gave me some great ideas for foods, and drinks that I didn't know of. That will help me with my variety of choices. Mia I also use the wheat noodles, they don't bother me at all.

Amanda: Let me know how you do with your jogging. I'm getting ready to go tackle mine in a few minutes at the gym. I'm going to try the whole routine for the full 20 minutes. Off and on rotatation of course. You gotta start somewhere or it will never happen. Aqua has already started this if I remember correctly. How that going Aqua?
sapphire35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 06:19 PM   #85  

Ha!

I'm gonna practice jogging in place at home. My reason? My husband isn't home and I rarely get to be home alone. I'm sure it would be better to go, but I'm just loving the solitude too much to give it up!
Old 09-12-2006, 06:30 PM   #86  
Melissa

LOL Trish I didnt even know you'd spelled it any different. I dont even know if I'm right! LOL!! See how observant I am!

~melissa
Old 09-12-2006, 09:08 PM   #87  

I did it!!!

I jogged in place - and all around my apartment - for 30 minutes!!! I did five minutes of jogging and a minute of marching in place in intervals. Yes!!
Now, I'm sweating like a pig.....
Old 09-13-2006, 08:21 AM   #88  

hey everyone good morning i woke up with a question
i know when you exercise your suppose to hold your stomach in i have a hard time doing that so i i put on a girdle that does that would it be the same thing or different? im wondering
anyway my goal for today is to drink 64oz water today i think im going to come up with some type of motivation plan using mel's point system
well i hope everyone gets some will power dust in there day
Old 09-13-2006, 09:00 AM   #89  
Melissa

Good Morning!!! I'm happy to report that Day 2 was another smashing success! Stuck to my eating plan, had nothing I wasnt supposed to, healthy snacks, 100oz of water. Another big YaY for me!! The scary news is that I've got another trip to Costco to make today, I forgot yesterday to get juice and cookies for open house thursday night. Can I do as well as I did yesterday...of course I can!!! Nothing is worth giving up my goals for! not even cheesecake! LOL!!

Amanda...way to go lady!!! You did so great last night!!! How was the jogging? other than sweaty LOL! think its coming on the treadmill next?

Mia...Good morning! the point of holding in your abs when exercising is to strengthen your core muscles. The only way to work the muscles is to use them so I dont think the belt is going to do that for you. Unless someone else out there has some other info. Its really a hard thing to do in the beginning, at least for me anyway. You have to be totally conscious of it. Eventually it'll get easier and you'll have a nice strong core!

I was kinda surprised not to see Aqua here this morning, she's our resident early bird. I hope everything is okay. And Danielle was MIA all day yesterday!

Have a wonderful day everyone!! I plan on making Day 3 a success!!

~melissa
Old 09-13-2006, 09:00 AM   #90  

I'm not sure Mia. The purpose of holding your stomach in while exercising is to hold the muscles tight so they can get the full benefit of the exercise. Plus holding them tight will help to stabilize the core. You don't want to cut off the flow of air though. That's why you shouldn't suck your stomach in.
Try concentrating on drawing your abdominals in and holding them tight. But make sure you breathe!! Use your lungs! It takes a lot of practice, I know. Try it when you're not exercising during the day as well. Those are not muscles that we're used to trying to control so it can be difficult at first. I have trouble with it too.