Teachers losing weight, back to school edition

You're on Page 1 of 14
Go to
  • Well, I figured it was time to make a new thread for us, summer break is, alas, over .
    Trob and Casey- funny you two mention pedometers- I lost mine just before our vacation, and do I miss it!!!!!!! A ten mile day??? Unreal. Hope the scale is very kind to you with that sort of work out.

Yesterday was so hectic. Got to my moms and had lots to do. Then both Ds and Dd needed sneakers........(both kids picked out what I felt were about the ugliest sneakers I ever bought ). And I did get to WW. Great meeting! I was up, but expected it- I had more clothes on, I am retaining water and was on vacation last week.
    Ok- gotta go, the kids are busy so I can finish vacuuming.
    Take care!
    Ginny
  • Hi fellow teachers! May I join you in this thread?

I'm a second-year teacher (though I'm 34, much older than most 2nd-year teachers) and I teach high school English. School started this past Monday, and my current diet plan started on July 18 so I was already on my way when the school stress started! I plan to keep it up!!

I look forward to getting to know other teachers who are going through this same struggle.
  • Hi, all.

You know, today has just sucked. I've been really nauseated since the surgery (what else is new??)... and finally gave in and called my doctor. She sent me to the emergency room. I spent most of the day there. Just got home.
    And of all times: school starts Tuesday and my room is a wreck. My TA had dental work done, so he wasn't in any better shape than I was. I nearly cried when I found out he'd done all the kid's schedules for the regular ed teachers wrong... everything was misfiled, and most teachers didn't even have what they needed. I need to get the severe disabilities teacher a box of rice krispy treats because she fixed everything for me so I could leave.
    They gave me some new anti-nausea drug, which worked nicely... and IV fluids. So now I'm going to wait for my ginger ale to get flat and try to sleep.
    And, as if all of this weren't enough, Ernesto is visiting, and we're on stand-by and of course, I'm not able to do anything.
  • oh mouse, i didn't even think about ernesto landing near you. not something that you need to be having to deal with right now. i hope that the new meds make a big difference and that you can get back up to speed soon.

lisa, welcome! i have been teaching for 17 years, started in kdg. and now teach art at three different schools...everything from 1-5. you are going to love the people on this thread, they are all great.

ginny, i hope my number of steps will show up on the scale too. i am keeping my fingers crossed. i also eat very little during the day when i am at school so that should help also.

goal for 1-1-07
  • Hi everyone! I think I am finally back now. My computer stopped working right so I had to order a recovery disk from Gateway and just now fixed my system today. I have missed being on here!

I teach Special Education in Mississippi and we started our school year on Aug. 7 so we have been back at work for a month now. I am very happy to be having a three day weekend for Labor Day!!! I have 20 special needs children that I work with in the regular classroom (we have full inclusion). I have 11 Kindergarteners, 2 First graders, 1 Second Grader, and 6 3rd graders. I have some students are just a little delayed, but I have some with mental ******ation, one paralyzed on the right side from strokes, one who was impaired after being thrown down a flight of stairs by his mother, and a child with Asperger's Syndrome. So, as you can tell my day is very busy!!!

I have managed to lose back the weight I gained during the summer when I was so stressed with building/buying my house. I am eating healthy about 95% of the time and walking 3-4 days per week in my new neighborhood with my 4 year old son R.J. This past week I have been faced with the reality that R.J. is not a baby anymore. He will not be 5 until Dec, but this week he lost 2 baby teeth!!! He lost the front two bottom ones and I can see the permanent teeth coming through. I didn't expect him to lose any teeth until next year.

Well, I hope you all enjoy your weekend! I am glad to be back!!!
  • Mouse I hope you get to feeling better soon!!1

Lisa Welcome! My name is Angela I am 31 and teaching 4th grade. I have little boys (3 and 2 months) that keep me very busy.

Melody does your son walk with you or ride a bike? Brantley wants to ride his trike while I push the stroller. That sure does wear me out. I sure have missed him these last two days. He isn't really into talking on the phone either. But I have walked two miles yesterday and today while pushing the stroller.

Well it is finally time for me to go back to school. I went up to school today to see my little darlings. They were so excited to see me and my baby. I brought ice cream sandwiches and koolaid drinks for them. I figured I would be nice today since I will have to be the mean teacher and whip my class back into shape on Tuesday. The best news is that my sub has already written my lesson plans for next week (that is why I wanted a retired teacher for my maternity leave). She just looked at my lesson plan book from last year. She rocks!!! I gave her a candle and a thank you card today. I will be spending my weekend recording grades in the grade book. Thankfully she also graded all my papers. I can't even keep up with them like that when I am there. We are also having friends over for dinner Sunday. Dh gets back in town at 3 and they are coming over at 5 so I guess I better clean my house. Our friends are moving and their little boy and ds1 are best friends. I haven't had the heart to tell my son yet. Well Jonathan is asleep and it isn't even midnight yet. I better get to bed and enjoy the early hour. Problem is that I can't sleep very well when Dh is out of town.
  • Babybellly,

My son really doesn't like to walk since a mile is a lot and he says he's tired so he either rides his electric monster truck or I pull him his wagon. The monster truck drives slow so I worry that I am not gettting a good workout because I have to walk slow to stay with him, but when he is in the wagon I know I am getting a good workout because he weighs 63 pounds! He's big for his age...not overweight according to the doctor, just tall and built big...he wears a size 7/8 and is about to be in a size 1 shoe. R.J. wants to start trying to ride his Batman bike while we walk and at first that will be a very slow process since he's a beginning bike rider, but soon I guess he will be whizzing around.

I know what you mean about not being able to sleep well when your husband is gone. I can't sleep well when mine is not here either. I have a lot of anxiety about that. Luckily, he's not gone very much.

That's nice that your lesson plans are already done! Good luck when you go back next week.
  • Hello! What a surprise Ernesto turned out to be! Locally, the rain measured in excess of 10 inches in 12 hours, the flooding around here is something! The tides have also been very high...more flooding... The winds were (at times) in excess of 70 miles an hour. My friend in Fl. who took a direct hit when the storm made landfall got less than 2 inches and the winds were never stronger than 40 mph... so...SURPRISE! We lost the boys pool as not one but two huge pines fell right on it! We also must take down 5 others as they cracked or are now severely leaning.... Many people are still without power....the hum of the generators can be heard from my front porch. We live in the same county where the two people were killed in their home by a falling tree.............. enough whining!

Hello LisaMarie! Welcome home Melody! Anyone heard from Kerry? Hope you are feeling better, Mouse! Thanks Gin for your PM notes! ((hugs))

Gotta get back to my housework...then I have school work.... and then I can always help my guys with the yard cleaning (If I have too much time!)

take care,
    ~Robyn
  • Robyn,

I am glad you and your family is O.K. I can definately sympathize since last year I went through Hurricane Katrina and had no power for 3 weeks! Luckily I didn't have any damage, but many people in my area did. I live about 2 hours from Gulfport, MS, but we still had quite an impact here. We were not expecting it at all to affect us.
  • Robyn I am glad that you are OK. I hate hurricanes! I went through Rita last year. The eye was 5 miles west of my house. We lost 4 trees in our yard and tons more in the woods right behind our house. The schools were closed for 10 days, housing the national guard. When school opened more than 2 weeks after the hurricane some people still didn't have electricity back, but we thought they would rather be in the a/c school. We also lost everything in our fridge and deep freeze. Many of the homes leaked really bad and had serious mold damage. I live north of Lake Charles and they still have bad damage and many people moved away. Walmart is not open all day anymore. And many restraunts do not serve lunch anymore because they don't have enough employees. It is amazing how much a hurricane can impact your daily life.

Melody our boys are only 1 year apart. Brantley turns 4 in November. But he only weighs 28 pounds. He is a little guy. Santa is bringing him a big boy bike with training wheels. When he goes with me I only walk around the block (several times) since we live in the back of the neighboorhood. Without him I wander all through the neighboor hood. I can't wait for the cooler weather so it will be more enjoyable to go walking.
  • Thanks guys! The storm yesterday was never scary.... just a pain! We were blessed to have been very mildly effected by this storm.....

I have a good friend who is still in a FEMA trailer in MS from Katrina. My friend in FL lost all of her teaching "stuff" as her school was hit hard by 2 storms last year. Isobel was a major pain here. There are many who are still in FEMA housing.... this is what 3? years later? We had no power for 15 days....many many memories! Sorry if I seemed to be whining about yesterday... Didn't mean it like that! Can't imagine living thru Katrina......
    I know what Isobel was like...... I have much compassion for my southern neighbors!

Back to cleaning.... and I've just touched the surface for school....sigh!
    take care,
    Robyn
  • Evening, all.

We did okay up here in my part of VA as far as I know. I really don't know much except that the county I live in had to open a shelter. The same spots that flooded earlier when we had 4-5 days of rain flooded again... but beyond that, I know nothing. I spent the entire day sleeping, which is probably what I needed to do. I feel a little better, but I'm only eating rice or mac & cheese, and flat ginger ale. Now if I could only lose weight in this fashion!
    I'm trying to get one of my local friends to come with me to my classroom tomorrow to help me whip it into shape. I don't think I can do it by myself, and I'm really worried about Tuesday. I know I shouldn't be, because I won't actually have any kids till around 9:30, which gives me 2 hours to work on stuff... And some of the stuff that needs doing can be done by some of the kids (putting the cooking supplies back in the cabinet). But others bits need to be done by me or my TA (like moving the computers around so the computer with the CD Burner is on the same side as the TV so we can hook the two together)...
    Let's see...
    Robyn: Hope things are better at your end with the damage from Ernesto. How'd the IEP meeting go?
    Trob: The meds made a huge difference at the hospital, but I didn't get a 'script for it. I just saw an ER doctor who doesn't know me, and the meds he wanted to give me were for a new drug without a generic. My own doctor didn't come over to the ER, so I was a little nervous about taking something new. The old one works as long as I can get it down, which I couldn't do.
    Babyhat is awesome that your substitute took care fo your room like that. I hate being out because inevitably, the substitute has trouble following directions.
    Melody: Welcome Back! Glad to see you... hope the new house is nice.
  • glad all you va gals are okay. hope that you are able to dry out soon.
    melody- glad that you are back with us. how are you enjoying the new house?
    mouse- glad that you are feeling better. when i taught kdg. we never felt ready for the first day because we didn't even get our class lists until the day before the kids came. but you know what, they came whether we were ready or not and we had class just the same. so, don't sweat it. get what you have to get done done and just wait about the rest.
    angela- i know that you will be glad to see you ds and dh tomorrow. my dh used to work in nebraska and i had a really hard time at first trying to sleep with him gone. i hope that you are able to get a really good nights sleep monday night so that you are ready to face your students.
    robyn- hope you get your cleaning done. i got up at the crack of dawn and got my house under control...well for the most part. my dh is working from home now and has turned our game room into something from and episode of sanford and son...i think that that may have just dated me.

have a great weekend everyone!!!

goal for 1-1-07
  • Evening Ladies,
    Glad you all survived the rain and winds. We have had rain in Ohio all week long. I am getting sick of it. I enjoy the cooler temperatures, but like the sunshine with it. It sure makes my special needs students goofy. They were talking about some weird stuff this past week. All of them wanted to come home with me at some point this past week. Two of them started to call me mommy. Makes me wonder about their home life and parents.
    Welcome, Lisa! I am Kerry, one of the special needs teachers of the gang. I teach MH students in 6th through 8th grade. I have three stepkids who keep me busy when they are around. Twin boys who are 8 and a girl who is 10. You will love the support and guidance you get here. These are some wonderful friends! Once again, welcome!
    Ginny, thanks for starting a new thread. I hate to see summer end but all good things must come to an end sometime. So are you already for school to start next week? How are you enjoying your last few days of freedom? That isn't bad that you were only up .5#, since you just came back from vacation. You will take it off in no time.
    Robyn, glad you were okay in the storm. That is a lot of rain in just a few short hours. So did you get your trees taken care of yet? That had to be scary to have your trees come crashing down in your back yard. Did you get your house cleaned today?
    Melody, glad you are okay. I was wondering about you. Sounds like you are having a great school year so far. Glad you are able to get your walks in with your little boy. I love going for walks with my stepkids when we have the time. In fact, they want to go to the one state park near us that has caves. They wanted to go tomorrow, but with all the rain we have had I can just image all the mud. No thanks. We told them that when we have in two weeks on the weekend we would go. So I hope the weather is nice that weekend.
    Trob, I can remember the Sanford and Son show. So does that mean I am an old fart at 33 years old? I loved watching that show because it reminded me of my brother who still wheels and deals today. In fact, my grandpa would call him Sanford all the time when he was alive. Glad you are able to get in lots of walking during your school day. Hope it shows up on the scales. I need to start back to working out. I have fallen off the band wagon the last few weeks.
    Mouse, glad you are feeling better today. Don't worry about your room, it will all fall into to place. Just take care of yourself this weekend and rest. You will be just fine come Tuesday. The kids can help you get the room ready and that will give them a sense of ownership to the room.
    Angela, hope you were able to get some sleep last night. I know what you mean about not being able to sleep when you dh is not home. I am the same way. In fact, if I go to visit my family without him, I don't sleep very well. I guess I just gotten use to him stealing half the bed for the last four years. I am sure you can't wait for your dh and ds to come home tomorrow. I hope you got your house cleaned today. That was very nice of your sub to grade your papers for you. I wonder if she would come to Ohio to grade mine. LOL I have to do that some evening next week.
    I snuck out of the house today and went to visit my sister. We met halfway and went to lunch. Then over lunch, she asked me about the local theater in the town we met in. So we drove to the movies and saw the movie Crank. It was a good action movie. Then we went to a local ice cream shop for sundaes. So I had a nice visit with her. I left my dh with his kids for about 8 hours. I thought is was payback from this summer when I had to entertain them daily while he was at work. I got home just in time to go out to dinner with them at the local pizza palor. So I guess I need to start working out again after the ice cream and pizza today.
    Well I am just a little tired. So I think I will call it a day and go to bed. Talk to you all later. Have a wonderful weekend!
    Kerry
  • Hi everyone,

Anonymouse, yes the new house is nice. It's nice to own my own home again.

Trob, I am enjoying the house. I especially love that everything in it was picked out by me so it's very personalized to what I like. I still have a lot of decorating to do, but we have to wait until we have some extra money. My husband sold 15 cars this month so maybe we can by some wall art when he gets paid.

Kerry, I know what you mean about the kids wanting to come home with you. I have a couple of kids who try to call me Mommy and they want to go with me, too. Of course, I have younger children than you so I am surprised that yours are doing the same thing. I know some of mine have terrible home lives. I have one little girl who's mother has come up to the school pregnant and drunk in the middle of the day and she probably drank with all her children because I belive that's what's wrong with one's in school already. I have another student who's problems result from being premature and being throw down a flight of stairs by his mother when he was younger. It's so sad.