Old 09-11-2006, 10:28 AM   #76  

Height: 5' 8.5"

Gotta catch up here!

Day 12 and 13 - exercise - good, 2 pauses left

Day 11 & 12 - logging food - good, 2 pauses left

Day 3 & 4 - water - good, 3 pauses left

Managed to scape by this weekend and managed all challenges! Weekends are always the hardest!

Red - you're doing great! Keep going!

Ashley - I know what you mean. Just the thought of having to come here and to admit I blew it, keeps me going. Guess I'm one of those that hates to admit to failure!

Good job on your challenges!

Have a great day all!
djstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:34 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 218/218/168

Height: 5'8"

a big WAY TO GO to everyone! it looks like everyone is sticking to their challenges. i have had another 10,000+ step day...and i have NO idea what day i am on. i guess that is a good thing. i am going to add my water back and try once more for 64 oz a day. i have a student teacher working with me now so running to the bathroom is no longer an excuse. hope that everyone has a great tomorrow. trob
trob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 08:26 AM   #78  

Day 14 exercise - good - 2 pauses left
Day 13 - logging food - good - 2 pauses left
Day 5 - water - good - good - 3 pauses left

Wow, kinda quiet in here!

Sounds like you're doing good Trob! Keep it up!

Hope to see everyone back soon! Have a great day!
Old 09-12-2006, 06:43 PM   #79  

dj- i wonder where everyone is at??? i was just sitting here looking at your 89lb weight loss...WAY TO GO!!! how long has it taken you and how are you doing it? i have been trying for 2 years and there are days when i just want to give up. i first started attending a gym with a group of friends and lost 10 lbs in about 6 weeks and dropped from a womens 18 to a regular 14/16. i stayed there for a year and then started trying again last spring. i lost 16 in 8 weeks and then gained 10 back this last summer. i have now lost 7 of the 10 but don't seem to be able to shed anymore. i just rejoined ww and hope that it will get me going again. any info. would be great!
Old 09-12-2006, 07:20 PM   #80  

Thanks Trob. Yeah it is a lot of weight to lose and I have a hard time believing that I've done that! It has taken me about 1 1/2 years so far. I've really tried to do this smart this time and take it slow. Every time I tried to lose weight before, I jumped right in and tried to make too many big changes all at once and burned out within a couple of weeks.

This time I kinda started out slowly (which I think made a big difference!). I started learning to cook with less fats, began to add in more fruits and vegies and then started measuring foods to learn what a "portion" really is. Finally, I started counting calories.

I also exercised. At first I only walked about 1 1/4 miles 2x a week. As I got stronger I kept upping my workouts until now I try to walk at least 2 miles 3 times a week, do aerobics at home 5-6 times a week and do strength training 2 or 3 times a week. It adds up to about 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours each day 6 days a week. On Sundays, I take a break and just walk or work in the garden or something. It sounds like a lot but I've learned over time to really enjoy it and actually get grouchy now when someone interrupts me or keeps me from my workout!

Basically, I just did what I've always known I should do, I just had to figure out how to make it work for myself and how to make my exercise time a priority in my life. Not always easy I know!!!

Don't think I'm making it sound easy, I'm not trying to. I've had many ups and downs on the scale (on an up right now! ). But at least I now know that I CAN DO THIS! I think sometimes I get a little burned out or stressed about life, but so far, I keep jumping back on the band wagon after a time and start losing again.

I guess the best advice I can give anyone is to find what works for you but don't forget the basics of weight loss. Read others advice and others stories and use what fits your life and be ready to tweak things as needed.

Good luck with your journey!
Old 09-12-2006, 08:28 PM   #81  
Ashley

Sorry I've been out of touch for a couple days. Yesterday was absolutely crazy at work and then I blew a blood vessel in my eye once I got home, so I just went to bed. Somehow managed to get in my steps though and also went to the gym tonight for a cardio class that did me in. So, I'm track for the last two days.

I can echo DJ for taking it slow and changing the lifestyle. I've tried every diet known to mankind, and have found that I just gain back the weight when I'm done with the "diet". My top weight was 230. I took off 30 pounds in 2005 by counting calories and getting regular exercise. Amazing to discover the true size of a serving! Then had a hysterectomy and had to stop going to the gym for a while. That got me out of the habit of exercise - for about six months - and the weight loss stopped. OK, I have to confess that the eating sensibly part stopped too.

Now I'm back at the gym and counting my calories and the weight loss has resumed. Unfortunately, I have shoulder surgery scheduled for Sept 23, which is going to put me out of commission again for awhile. I'm hoping it will just be for a few weeks. I'll miss 3FC while my typing is limited.
Ashley103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:40 PM   #82  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Unhappy stopped in my tracks....

Well, people, here's the dope. I blew two of my challenges yesterday... Yes, the alcohol was a wash and then the processed foods. But I'm starting over without a bump. The processed food one I'm not getting bent out of shape over...that is hard and I went off it only minimally. The alcohol gives me more pause for thought...2 weeks and on three of those days I had alcohol (ok one of them was just a smidgen). It's not bad and it CERTAINLY could have been a lot worse, but...oh well...yeah, back on the wagon!

Alcohol --
Day 1 starting over after 11 days (with 3 pauses... )
Sugar --
Day 12 done/2 of 3 pauses taken
Processed Foods --
Day 1 starting over after 11 days! (with 3 pauses...)
Crunch Challenge --
Day 14 done/2 of 3 pauses taken
Walking/Running/Riding Challenge --
Day 13 done/2 of 3 pauses taken

New challenge (level 3): Nuts, butter and deep-fried foods -- Max. of 300 cals. or nuts or nut butter or butter, NO deep-fried foods --
Day 1
This one is going to be hard because I live on nuts, but know these are huge in calories and fat, thus the limit, not a total ban. The deep-fried is something I don't normally eat much of but at times it gets too easy to reach for such and I just want to be more vigilant. You see, these are all ways of helping myself to take in fewer calories without actually doing the dreaded calorie count. What I need to do is start focusing on getting more vegetables and fresh fruit into me.

By the way, with dj's wonderful post about how she lost weight, going slowly and all, I just wanted to share this article. It's saying a lot of the same. Notice, we (as in 21 days, making habits) are No. 4 on the list!!

http://www.formerfatguy.com/articles...ek-program.asp
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 12:25 AM   #83  
Never give up

Talking Welcome Dreamer!!

Dreamer -- Welcome to our humble thread. I'm glad you're stoked by the challenge! Your challenges sound great but you may have misread the rules. You'll have to tweak your exercise and journal writing challenges to make them something you can do EVERY day, or conceivably, 6x/week with one pause day and then add three days at the end. You could just add some gentler exercise on the weekends and make your challenge "exercise every day" and do the journal likewise, or just keep those "extracurricular" challenges, what we call things that don't fit the rules but you want to tell us about (perhaps in preparation for going every day at some point). Are your water and soda challenges two separate ones? Well, I look forward to having you with us. Best of luck!

Ashley -- Wow, so sorry to hear about the trouble you've been having. You've done so well taking that weight off and every bit counts. Don't get discouraged. It's a long, slow process with many bumps and breakdowns. Just keep plugging along and we'll get there!

dj -- A big hand to you for all the days notched! I absolutely loved your long post! You have really put it down well, all the things that are an integral part of success. Thanks so much for sharing your story and wisdom with everyone!

trob -- Yeah, things are a bit slow. That happens. But just as long as you keep coming in here... It's great that you've lost that weight and then most of the bit you regained. It's truly a balancing act and one in which you can never rest on your laurels. Good luck with WW. You can do it, I know!
Old 09-13-2006, 12:36 AM   #84  
Never give up

I'm wondering... Where are some of you? Jolly, Fish, girlie, Lizz? Come in and post!

Old 09-13-2006, 08:23 AM   #85  

Day 15 - exercise - good, 2 pauses left

Day 14 - logging food - good, 2 pauses left

Day 6 - water - good, 3 pauses left

Well, still meeting these challenges. I was going to add in my calorie counting again but have been really on edge waiting to hear about the job my husband applied for. I know, sounds like an excuse, but, I feel like I'm going to jump out of my skin having to wait like this! I'm still not even sure if I want him to get the job or not, I just want to know if we're putting the house up for sale and moving or not! Living in suspense is not fun. Supposedly we should find out this week or next week what the verdict is.

Ashley - just curious, you mentioned that you had a hysterectomy. I'm scheduled for a partial hysterectomy at the end of this month myself (voluntary). Is that what you had done? I'm curious what the recovery is really like. I hate the thought of being out of commission for too long!

Hope things get better for you quickly!

Dreamer!

Red - Sorry to hear about your 2 challenges! Like you said though, the alcohol could have been a lot worse and the processed food one is REALLY tough! All in all I think you've done great!

Have a great day everyone!
Old 09-13-2006, 11:51 AM   #86  
Cynical RedHead

hi everyone! I was home for a few days and couldn't get my internet access to stay connected

I have finished day 5 of my exercise challenge - yesterday was an unintended pause day. So I had best get to the gym today and do 30 minutes of something!

Red - sorry about blowing your challenges, but yea on starting over "without a bump"

Ashley - oh my gosh! How is your eye doing? That sounds scary to have a blood vessel burst - are you okay?

DJ - congratulations on making it through the weekend, that is the hardest time for me with controlling my food.

I hope everyone has a good day - talk to you soon.
FishWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:44 PM   #87  

thanks for all the good advice dj and for everyone else who chimed in. i know what works the best for me and that is exercise, but i don't seem to be able to find the time for it during the school year. i guess i am just going to MAKE the time.
red- sorry that you are having to start over but good for you for jumping right back in.

ashley- i too am on my way to a hysterctomy and like dj it is voluntary. i hope to get it done around christmas but don't have it scheduled yet. tell me about your experience. i am a little scared.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:04 PM   #88  
Ashley

Welcome Dreamer - nice to have somebody else join our little group.

Journeled and counted calories today, but haven't quite gotten in my steps yet. It has been POURING rain ever since I got off work. I'm hoping it lets up enough for me to walk before it's pitch dark. If not, I guess I'll be marching in place in the living room.

Trob and DJ - how strange that you're both in line for a hysterectomy. My partial hysterectomy was also voluntary. I was surprised to learn that very few hysterectomies are for life-threatening circumstances. I had prolapses of both uterus and bladder, plus fibroids, so had a vaginal with a TVT bladder sling and A&P repair with implanted mesh. If either of you have any bladder incontinence problems, I would strongly encourage you to have it evaluated and treated at the same time as the hysterectomy. The surgery itself was pretty uneventful. I had no need for the pain pump once I got into recovery, and only took one percocet once I got home from the prescription I had filled. My doctor was amazed at how pain-free I was. The bad news was that my bladder went on vacation so I had to go home with a catheter for a few days, which was very uncomfortable.

My recovery was nothing short of a miracle. I am an executive, so most of my work consists of meetings, phone calls, planning and e-mails. I was able to work full-time from home the first week, worked half-time at the office the second week, and was back pretty much full-time the third week. However, that is very unusual. You should plan to be out of commission a full 6-8 weeks. That way, if you recover earlier - it's a bonus.

I'd say it was approximately 5 months before I was totally back to normal, and felt my energy level was restored. The doctor said to expect it to take up to a year to be totally back to normal. I kept my ovaries, but they decided to quit in protest, so I eventually went on hormone replacement therapy, which is a blessing!! Between the memory loss and the hot flashes I couldn't function without the replacement hormones.

I found a really good on-line support system at www.hystersisters.com. There are separate forums for pre-op, post-op, etc. They have lists of questions to prompt women for things to ask the doctor. The women on the site have lots of advise for when the little things crop up afterwards, and somebody is always on-line, even if you have a question at 3 in the morning. It was so reassuring to have the freedom to ask about very personal (and embarrassing) things without feeling stupid. Of course, I would be happy to answer any questions also.

I've decided to look at the upcoming shoulder surgery in a positive light. Maybe I'll finally be able to kayak, which is something I've always wanted to do, but couldn't because of the bum shoulder.
Ashley103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:37 PM   #89  

ashley- thanks for all the info. i am thinking that i will probably keep my ovaries also. since i am a teacher i am going to try to get my doctor to do the surgery the first of december so that i can use my 2 wk vacation at part of my sick leave. thanks again. hope that you have a wonderful day tomorrow....friday is almost here!!
trob
Old 09-14-2006, 08:15 AM   #90  
Never give up

Not doing too good here... Sick with a cold, must have been the reason I was feeling so blue...

Processed Foods --
Day 1 starting over (with 3 pauses...)
Alcohol --
Day 2 done/no pauses taken
Fat challenge --
Day 2 done/no pauses taken
Sugar --
Day 13 done/3 of 3 pauses taken
Walking/Running/Riding Challenge --
Day 14 done/2 of 3 pauses taken
Crunch Challenge --
Day 15 done/2 of 3 pauses taken