Old 08-23-2006, 11:25 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 266/245/176

Height: 5' 9"

Default 18 weeks until New Years challenge!

Hi all:

just was looking at my scale and my goals--I would really like to be below 230 by the end of the year--actually my birthday on Dec 16. Looking at how many weeks it is highly do-able. Starting nest monday the 28th there are 18 weeks until the end of the year.

If I lose 2 lbs on average until the end of the year that is 36 lbs. So that would make 216. I know I know--things can slow down. so even if I lose 1.5 lbs that would be 27 lbs and get me down to 225. Anyway--I will try for 216 and any loss will be welcome!

My goal is to work on eating slowly and only eating when I am hungry, stopping when I am full. I also will keep track of all food on Fitday and keep myself around 1800 cals. I want to walk three days a week and swim 2. I want to add pilates and/or weight lifting.

I am weighing in on Mondays--so shall we make next monday the official starting date for this challenge?

Lets support one another to a nice goal for the holidays!

Sno
Snowbrocade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 183/183.6/150

Height: 5'5"

I would love to join you on this journey. We can keep each other accountable. What do you think?
CH4Health is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 03:20 PM   #3  

Default Welcome

Hi CH--

Yay! I my first buddy!

Good to have you join me--tell me a little about you and your weight loss journey and what you want to do for the next 18 weeks?

Sno
Old 08-24-2006, 11:20 AM   #4  

Default Exercise!

I have been thinking about this challenge and my goals and am really excited about the idea of losing 2 lbs per week for the next 18--I think it is really do-able!

The main thing for me will be making sure I exercise regularly and a lot. I am usually good at reducing my food but I dont like to exercise that much--I think this will be key to keeping me going and getting the weight off--and feeling better.

I have plenty of exercise videos at home if I dont feel like going out to exercise--I even have some walking videos. so I really want to get motivated and exercise. I have a knee injury so I have to be careful but there is lots of stuff I can do that wont hurt my knee--I think the walking videos will be okay, the pilates definitely, most of the yoga videos I have will work and if I can get in there, swimming will definitely be okay.

Hope you will join me!
Old 08-24-2006, 11:32 AM   #5  

Hi Snow! Alittle about me. I am a mom and a wife. I have a little girl and she just started 1st grade. I also work full-time at an ice cream company which has in the past made it very difficult to stick with healthy eating. I LOVE ice cream and if it was calorie free would live on it. LOL!

I was at 150 - 155 when I got pregnant with my DD, and didn't gain too much from having her. I think I was like 160 or something after she was born. When threw me off was eating fast food everyday and not getting any exercise. I gained about 20 lbs over the first year of her life. I was pretty depresssed because her father and I split and I was basically a single mom.

I eventually lost the weight (got back down to about 155 - 160) and met my current husband (married this year), but once the newness of our relationship wore off I went back to my old habits and put the weight back on. So I've been yo-yoing for the last 4 years, but never losing much. Right now I'm up to 183.

My husband is very supportive and is also trying to lose weight.

My #1 concern is eating healthier and getting exercise to have more energy for my DD and husband. I have been a true coach potato over the last year or more. My DD called me on it recently, and that really got my attention. I want to be able to play with her and be in a good mood - eating unhealthy puts me in such a fool mood plus it makes me just want to sit.

I'm reading "You The Owners Manual", and I'm taking baby steps when it comes to exercise because I have a tendancy to over do it.

My goals right now are

1. Finish "You the Owners Manual" by 8/30

2. Revamp my meals completely by 9/1

3. Begin a weekly mother/daughter walk-run starting 8/26

4. Only weigh myself monthly and do measurements monthly

5. Create easy, no-cook meal options for difficult days

6. Lose 30 lbs by New Years!

Are you following any particular diet right now?
Old 08-24-2006, 11:38 AM   #6  

We posted at the same time.

My exercise now consists of walking at work (when I can get away from my desk) and walk/jogging on my treadmill at home. I also will start doing a Pilates DVD that I have 1 - 2 times a week. My goal is to walk/jog 3 times a week for the next 2 weeks building up to running. I used to run a lot, so it shouldn't take me too long to get back to it again. Also, after 2 weeks I will begin 1 - 2 days a week of strength training - mostly circuit training with body weight only. I'm pretty lucky to have a fitness fanatic husband, so we have a gym in our garage.

I have to take it easy, and go slow, or else I'll burn myself out.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:44 AM   #7  
Proud Twinmom

S/C/G: 250.5/223.5/147

Height: 5'8

Default New Year Goal!

Hi there:

I was just thinking yesterday that I want to be a certain weight by end of this year. My goal is mighty aggressive, but I am going to shoot for it. I would like to be under 200 lbs by the new year. Yes, that is 41.5 lbs, so I am definitely pushing it, but I really want to achieve it. The scale can say 199.9 for all I care, I just would like to be under 200. So, I am with you on the challenge and I will see it through to the end.

I'll be seeing you guys around!

Ciao!

Elycia
u2girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:47 AM   #8  

Default about me

Hi CH:

I love your little bio--ice cream what a challenge--but think if you can lose weight while working with ice cream, you can learn to resist anything!

I tend to overdo with exercise too then not do anything.

I have been struggling with my weight most of my life--was actually not really overweight in my teens--was around 160 at 5'9 but it was the 70's so if you were not emaciated you were fat. so I think that is what started my vicious cycle--either I was dieting or overeating to make up for dieting as a teen. I cycled between 140 and 160 from age 12-32. Then I just gave up and gained about 8 pounds a year for the next ten years and here I am at 252. I was on Atkins for 11 months last year and lost almost 40 lbs. I then had an extreme stress situation and fizzled on the atkins. The best part is I have not gained back all the Atkins loss--and now want to get back on track for sure.

I love your goals CH--so healthy and motivated!

My plan is basically to eat when I am hungry and stop when I am full--with a back-up of keeping track of all that I eat and trying to keep calories under 1800. I really want to change habits, not just go on a diet that I plan to go off when I am at goal weight. I recently stopped eating in front of the TV and now my hubby and I eat at the table every night.

so here are my goals.

1. Eat mindfully and slowly--put down my food after every bite, eat smaller bites and portions--try to take half of what I normally would with the option of going back for more if I am really hungry.

2. Exercise 5x per week--walk 3x, swim 2x (gardening counts). Stretch and ice everyday. Start adding yoga and pilates as possilbe--dont hurt self--lots of gentle exericise is okay!

3. Weigh once a week and measure once a month.

4. Journal as much as possible at least once a day! Keep track of all food on fitday.

5. Lose at a rate of 2 lbs per week!
Old 08-24-2006, 11:52 AM   #9  

Thumbs up Awesome!

Hi Elycia:

that is such a cool goal--I calculated it for you and that is 2.3 lbs per week--a little challenging but do-able! Just stay healthy!

When you get a chance let us know you bio and your goals--welcome!

Sno
Old 08-24-2006, 11:56 AM   #10  

Hi U2girl!! Your twins are adorable!!! I bet they're a handful.

That is an ambitious goal, but if you set your mind to it you will accomplish it. It looks like you're setting mini goals - that's awesome! I bet meeting those will keep you very motivated.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:57 AM   #11  

I was wondering, should we have an accountability check-in like once a week on a certain day to say we've done? What do you think?
Old 08-24-2006, 02:45 PM   #12  

Default Accountability

I had in mind monday since that is my weigh in day and the official start of the 18 weeks? what do you think?

Also, I think we should check in as much as possible because it really helps!
Old 08-24-2006, 03:43 PM   #13  

I think Mondays are great. Yeah, we should also check-in other than that -but I think once a week for progress. I was only planning on weighing in once a month, but I could weigh in weekly and measure monthly.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:42 PM   #14  

Default Accountability!

Of course, CH, you have to choose what works for you in terms of weighing--if once a month works then do it--you could check in on the first monday with your start up weight and then check in on the rest with how you are doing on goals etc.

Whatever works!
Old 08-24-2006, 10:45 PM   #15  
Proud Twinmom

S/C/G: 250.5/223.5/147

Height: 5'8

Hi Sno and CH. Thanx so much for the warm welcome. I appreciate it! Thanx for the compliment on my little ones CH.

Okay, a little about me. I am 30 years old and I live in St. Louis, MO. I am mother to beautiful twin girls Mya and Mia. They are 9 months old and the joy of my life. During my pregnancy, I gained 80 lbs. Three weeks post partum, I lost 46 lbs and I was so excited. However within 3 months, I had gained much of that back and I feel horrible. I don't like the way I look or feel and I know something has to be done.

I just really got started last Monday. My resolve is very strong to stick to it and lose this weight. My main motivation is my daughters. I don't want them to eat all of the junk food that I eat and I want to be able to keep up with them. With all of this weight I cannot do that. Plus I just want to look and feel better. So that is me. Oh yeah, I am married to the love of my life for the past 7 years and he needs to get off some weight too. I have been trying to prepare healthier meals for all us. My main problems are fast food and soda pop. I have not had either since last Monday and it feels great!

Regarding checking in, I think we should check in as much as possible. Keep the thread active and keep each other motivated. I will try to check in daily to keep the thread going. We need as much support as we can get. My weigh in day is every Wednesday. I hope to have a loss next weigh in. Well, I better get going. I look so foward to getting to know everyone better and being of support to each other.

Elycia
u2girl is offline   Reply With Quote