Old 08-15-2006, 11:57 AM   #1  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

Default new here, want to lose 50lbs

Hi I hope everyone is doing well. My name is Jeni, I am married (5 years on Aug 18) I have two great kids, Makenna is 3 and Tommy is 10 months. My highest weight was 199, before I got pregnant with Maki. I developed Gestational diabetes in both my pregnancies so I watched my weight and didn't gain much (well anything) with either pregnancy. I have been pretty much stuck in the 180's since Tommy was born. On Aug 7th I started a diet and exercise plan which I hope to Lose 50 lbs by Valentines Day.
Start weight: 187
Current weight: 184
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 12:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 191/187/141

Hi Jeni, I think we are in a pretty similar boat. I am 35 and the mom of 1 very adorable 19 month old. I can't blame him for my weight because the day after I delivered him I was at the weight I conceived him. My 187 lbs are all my fault.

have found myself avoiding taking pictures with him because I look so bad. My husband got very angry at me this weekend for erasing a few pics of me and him at the beach. I hated them. I had to. So here I am again looking for someone to help me hold myself accountable. I am not looking for, "it is ok" Iam looking for "get off your *** and make it happen". If you are interested in that kind of brutal truth weight loss buddy. I am the gal for you.

Regarless, Good Luck on your weight loss endevor,
Amanda
OBsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 01:55 PM   #3  
Calorie Counter

HI Amanda, If you want brutal, I can be, I think the only way to loose the weight is to move more/eat less....I know duh! I know too many people (me included) who want a quick fix, but the only thing that will work is doing it over time so I have a long term overall goal, with smaller weekly goals. For instance last week it was drinking 64-80 oz of water per day. This week it is eating 2 servings of fruit per day + 64-80 oz of water per day. Next week it is eating 2 servings of veggies per day + 2 fruits +64-80 oz of water. My exercise goal is to do something everyday. 5 days a week on my exercise bike. Each week I am adding 2 minutes to my time (last week 15 minutes, this week 17 minutes). Plus I am walking after work with some buddies who want to lose weight also (but they aren't very committed.) If I don't walk then I am getting back on my bike after work. The other 2 days a week (mostly Sat and Sun) I will at least spend 10 minutes stretching and doing Pilate type things. I am trying to stick to a 1300 calorie diet.

The hardest thing for me is I can only work out when Tommy is napping, sometimes he naps for 15 minutes sometimes 2 hours. But as long as I do something everyday I will be happy.

Good luck, I hope we can support each other through our ups and downs.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:04 AM   #4  

Thumbs up

Morning Jeni,

Good, I am glad you are not one to coodle. I need it sometimes.

Your plan of attack seems very sensible. I need to jump on the water bandwagon. I was so good at it then I became hooked on Diet Coke and it has been hard to fit the water in. I have a 32 oz Nalgene bottle that I try to fill in the am and have it knocked out by lunch and then fill it up again and have it knoced out by the time I make it home. I read once that you need to drink have your weight in oz of water. So I am 187, I need to drink roughly 93 oz a day. I don't think I am coming close to that.

My plan of attack is portion control and sticking to 3 meals and 2 snacks. I love to cook and have a hard time curbing my enthusiam for butter. I have to rejoin FitDay because I forgot my usere name but I have found it is helpful to keep track of my calories.

I am a walking fool. I do love it. Sadly my dog is getting too old to join me on my long trips. I live in the city and have several great routes that I take that are around 3-4 miles. The weather is breaking here so I'll be able to get more of it in in the evenings. I inherited a NordicTrack from my mom but it makes a bit of noise so I am afraid of waking up my son it I uses it late at night. But it is a good work out. I am at my best in the am so I try to fit in walking then. I try to walk to work 3 days a week.

So for today:
Breakfast: Kashi cereal, peaches, skim milk
1 Diet Coke mid morning
1 8oz of water

Being in Washington I am sure your day is just starting, Have a great one,
Amanda
Old 08-16-2006, 12:32 PM   #5  
Calorie Counter

I have heard about the 1/2 your body weight in water too I was going for that, but then I read for every 25lbs overweight you should add 8 oz to the 64oz you should be drinking. So my goal for each day is to get the extra 16 oz I need. I love Diet coke too, I heard a study that a 12 oz can of any pop a day for a year and you will gain 15lbs!! So I quit cold turkey. I get my caffine from coffee. LOTS and LOTs of coffee.
What is FitDay???
Old 08-16-2006, 12:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Hi Jeni! We have the same anniversary ... we'll be 27 years!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 01:35 PM   #7  

http://www.fitday.com/

FitDay is a free online diet diary site. It helps you track you calories and your excersize. It also give you a breakdown of how many carbs, protein, fat that you have eaten durning a day. I like it better than sparkepeople, which I found slow to download.

Do you think that bit includes diet soda? I need to do cold turkey as well but I can only drink coffee with milk and sugar so I think that that is just as bad. I do like seltzer water alot but we go through it so fast.

So for today:
Breakfast: Kashi cereal, peaches, skim milk
1 Diet Coke mid morning
1 8oz of water

Lunch: pasta (1c.) with homemade tomato sauce
1 Diet Coke
Old 08-16-2006, 01:38 PM   #8  

Susan, what do you use Whey Protein for and how do you include it into your diet.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:50 PM   #9  

Hi OB'sMama ..... I mix it in shakes mostly. The fruit, psyllium, protein and water. I have mixed it into hot cereal too.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:52 PM   #10  
Calorie Counter

Wow Susan 27 years ! congrats!!!
Amanda, the study said the average weight gain I am assuming diet sodas were tested too. HOWEVER I know I am the one who mentioned the study but......I don't know who funded the study or what methods they used to determine the results. I just know I drank a lot of diet coke so it scared me. I would definately try cutting back though.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:06 PM   #11  

Susan, is the point to fill you up, keep you regular? Have any recipes to share?

I long for 130.
Amanda
Old 08-16-2006, 02:27 PM   #12  

I had to come up with something for breakfast. I hadn't eaten it much since about 9th grade. Later in the day I would be ravenous and eat anything in sight!
Shakes appealed to me because they're easy. I can even put some in a travel mug and take it to work.
I'm also not very good about fruit so I sneak it in that way.
And the extra protein is a sort of long and convoluted tale ... I'll shorten it up some for you
The more I read and learned about slenderness, the more I realised that if you just lose weight at any cost ... you'll lose muscle. But if you want to be attractively slim and be well prepared to stay that way ... you need to protect your muscle and build more. In my reading about weight lifting, I found enough evidence to support increasing my protein intake and powder seemed the easiest way.
A good lean portion of protein at each meal does keep me full longer.
As far as the psyllium fibre goes ... I did find a decrease in regularity as I cut out bready carbs (I don't want one slice ... I want them ALL!) An internist at our little hospital highly recommends that almost everyone should increase their fibre intake. So I toss it in my shake.
Easy is very important to me.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:43 PM   #13  
Calorie Counter

I usually don't eat anything in the morning, I am too busy with the kids/housework so I don't eat until about 12 or 1. Shakes would be a great way to get out of the no breakfast for me. I have been having trouble getting enough calories because I don't eat breakfast.
My normal Diet is :
Breakfast
4 cups of coffee with milk (no sugar)
Lunch
3 hard boiled eggs
1 small apple
2 pieces of bread
Dinner
boneless skinless chicken breast
3 oz (about 15) baby carrots
1 cup of grapes.
Night snack
Banana

I'm never really hungry on this diet but I am afraid that I'm not getting enough calories.

Thanks for the FitDay address.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:25 AM   #14  

Thumbs up

Morning,

I did well yesterday and rounded out the day with 1 piece of pizza and a large salad. So, I am feeling good.

Jeni, I think you should really think about trying to incorporate something for breakfast. Protein Bar or something. Doesn't the coffee tear up your empty stomach.

I missed the bus this mornig by a hair but that just forced me to hoof it down to work. I made it to the campus before the next bus did so I have started off my day right.

I started taking Fish Oil supplements last night to boost my Omega 3. My prenatal had them in them but when Oliver turned 1, I stopped taking them and opted for a cheaper multi-vitamin.

So so far today:
1 scrambled egg
1 hashbrown
1 Diet Coke
20 minutes of walking

Havea great day,
Amanda
Old 08-17-2006, 11:38 AM   #15  
Calorie Counter

Way to go on the walk to work!! (Even if it was unintentional.) I only have a problem if I drink a triple shot latte, regular coffee doesn't do anything. My Husband and I were talking about me trying to eat breakfast I think I might start with a protein shake or a smoothie. My brother-in-law is big on Spirotein(sp) It is a protein shake from GNC.
I make sure that I take a Multi-vitamin, but I am not good at taking pills for a long period of time.
What type of work do you do? I am a cook in a family owned fastfood restraunt, it isn't glamorous but I stay at home with my kiddos during the day and work 5-10; I am changing my shift though so I can make a little extra $$ for Christmas and so I can join a Gym. It also makes if VERY hard to stay on a diet.