Old 08-13-2006, 11:03 AM   #16  
Smackin' into a Wall

Good Sunday morning, m'dears! Been up for ages. DH had to go into work before 8AM to bring all the servers down before they cut the power to the building so I tagged along. We went out for breakfast and went grocery shopping. I really miss having a car! We had a temp rental for the morning and it does make errand running so much easier. I think we are going to have to bit the bullet and buy when the fall comes. We're spending about as much as we would on the car on cabs and rentals… plus we never have groceries in the house so we probably spend more on restaurants because we don't get to do a weekly shop. So really, it's probably really a health issue.

My bike is still not fixed (ok, I'm lazy and haven't taken it in yet), so I went for a walk yesterday instead of a ride. Walking is so slow and it hurts my shins. I am a wimp! I did go run the stairs at Ontario Place – but I only managed 5 cycles before I had to stop. I need new shoes, I suspect.

Tig~ We'll save a place in the shade for you. I hear running on sand is supposed to be good on your legs.

Roseblush~ Glad the drumming circle was a success. Hang onto that energy for sure.

Shad~ Camels? Wow, I've never been on a camel. That would be neat, I think. I have to admit to a weakness for tempura battered shrimp and veggies. Probably not the healthiest fried item either. Yeah, it's usually a bad sign when you go to an Asian restaurant and there are no actual Asian types eating there. That is rule one when you go a restaurant in Toronto's Chinatown. Good luck in the relocation. By the time you read this you will probably be completely settled. I hope Linus does feel better some time soon. BTW, what is the difference between a shrimp and a prawn?? Are they different creatures? Or is it a size thing?

Meadow ~ So cute. One of my cats does that quite often. Now the blinds are bent out of shape! Love the dog. Now the blinds smell like dog breathe and are covered in cat hair.

Ceejay~ Hope the storms cooled things down. And really, I'm not good on horses either. I do like them from a distance though.

Holly~ Hope you are enjoying the visit with your guests.

Mel~ You are so sweet! I never ride without a helmet for just the reason you describe. Better safe than sorry. I had a friend hit a manhole cover last year while on a charity ride and she hit the pavement face first and broke her jaw. Makes you want to be cautious. I hope things are calming down. Good for you to maintain and calm distance from the whirlwind.

Seems as if we have all been off enjoying the glorious weekend. I'm off shortly with my Honey to go start up the servers at work again and then we are going to take advantage of being vehicular and swing by the big pet store to perhaps buy The Girls a new scratching post. The one they have now is falling apart, losing its sisal rope threads and carpet bits all over the living room. Gracie announces her displeasure by transferring her scratching requirements to the couch. That is NOT allowed.

to everyone lurking or elsewhere.
Madcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 12:24 PM   #17  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Oooh la la Madcat. Szo shopping like ze French going to market each day ees not fun, no? I remember when we lived in the city I would often run to the convienience store a few buildings away and pick something up for dinner that day. It was ok when you knew what you wanted but not good for sitting in the apartment looking for a snack and seeing empty cupboards. Chicago had great public transportation, if you lived in the city about the only thing you needed a car for was for grocery shopping.

Mel, sorry to hear that you've had such a bad week. It sounds as if you have to part ways with the caffeine once and for all. Meant to ask you - what letter / body type are you on Michael Thurmond? I'm an A - the worst of course. I hope the weather gets cleaner and cooler so that you can get out for a bit and away from all the demands of the building.

Have a good time with your friends Holly.

Shad, I hope we don't lose you in Weipa. There's always a huge chunk missing when you're not with us. Besides, we want to hear all about the new digs. I liked the link on the diamonds - I knew about the canary yellows but not all the other colors. Heard of blue white but not literally blue. Hard to pick a favorite!

Ceejay, if it keeps raining like this, you'll be putting that new lawnmower to good use

Hey there Meadow, what's going on besides keeping track of the animals?

to the rest of the chicks. Big to Linus across the pond.

I'm off to get the toes repainted, grocery shopping and then some laundry and housecleaning. The temperatures dipped a bit with the rain we had, it dropped the pool temp to a bit cooler than I like it so I might have to wait a few days to go back in again unless I can make it back from the errands while the sun is full blazing on the water to keep me warm.

Enjoy your Sunday...
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 12:25 PM   #18  
Choose your hard

Someone go nab Suzi, I think we left her in Scotland
Old 08-13-2006, 07:02 PM   #19  
Suzi in Auz

briefly showing my face...peepo! to Aussie!!!!
Must fly as have to walk!
Talk later ....have super days!
suzi in auz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 10:53 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

It’s a lot easier for me to post early in the day, but since the computer at work is in the shop that may not happen for awhile. The storm more than likely got it.

Just a brief entry and I’m going to bed.

This week exercise stats are
total calories burned 2461
total miles 45.4
total minutes 193 (missed my 200 minute goal by 7 minutes)
The next 7 days I’m trying for 300 minutes.

It’s late and I can’t afford to miss my sleep time.

mel--I so need some of your inner strength. My aunt has been preaching smaller amounts of fruit. My problem is that I love fruit.

More later. It's time to get a shower and get into bed. 5.30 a.m. come a we bit early for me.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 06:10 AM   #21  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Meet the *****

Oh sorry I forgot, you already know me.

I went for a run this morning. Best thing that happened to me all day. Yes there is a gym up here so no excuses for not using it - it's free for us SPQers (Single Person Quarters).

Went to work, got inducted - haved learned ad infinitum and ad nauseum where the 27 fire extinguishers and the hose reels and the evacuation points are. I know all the safety requirements 13 times over and finally got around to thinking about the first course - which I might add is at 6.30 tomorrow morning and that all the trainers equipment logs on to citrix. That might not mean a lot to you out there, but I can tell you it has caused one big stink here and not one of the external trainers can get on. Who is training tomorrow. You guessed it. Who is first up - right again. What doesn't work. Okay - fix it tonight or I don't front in the morning. Oh you can use my logon says one of them. I very sweetly asked her what are the terms and policy of Rio Tinto regarding the use of e-mail and internet. Oh bah she said. Bullshit said I finally losing it. Did you know that I stand to be in breach of contract and may very well have to go to court if I breach the terms within my contract. But....... I'll play fair - you go beard the big man in his office in Brisbane and ask him for dispensation! Naturally enough no-one is prepared to do that. I won't give in and at 8.00pm we are still in the training room trying to sort out the resulting mess. They don't want to tell the big man because they will then have to explain why this wasn't sorted weeks back. I'm seething and everyone is moving very quietly around me. I sent the other trainers home at 7.30pm so that they could get some dinner. No point in all of us starving.
Finally one of the girls came up with a compromise which might get them out of trouble. Why not use the generic training logon? What generic training logon. This one. Shad has just imploded. I had to leave the room, I was so angry. I was about to see how fast a laptop could fly.
Anyway, the IT man and I worked on and finally came up with what seems to be a solution to the original problem. We will have to wait a couple of hours for the system to replicate. Meantime back up 2 is the training logon if our solution doesn't work. I am not backing down unless I get permission in writing from the big man. They are not going to give me that satisfaction. Something will give sooner or later.

Are well, I've annoyed you lot enough now. Thanks for listening. I'm about to go back to the SPQ - I'll try and describe it for you tomorrow. Tomorrow is another day. I had better face it with a smile and a joke. Sure as ****, it ain't the participants fault. Got love the start time though. Means a 4.oo run tomorrow morning.
Today I earned my grossly overpaid fee.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 09:31 AM   #22  

GOOD morning.

Having a lovely time. Guest are still sleeping. They are 13 hours ahead of us at home so they are tuckered out. Friend and DH stayed up til after 2am talking 2 nights in a row. The wife and I and the children were all in bed by 11pm.
We had DH’s folks for a turkey dinner on Saturday( she made buteretarts mmmmmm). Yesterday morning we went to the diner in town for breakfast and then toured the area. They are from a city of 8 million. We are on the outskirts of a village of 1002.Lots of wide open spaces. We had 20 for dinner and a party and a camp fire yesterday. DH’s family and 2 friends.
Today we are hitting the mall in the city( our small city) and then going up to the lake at my parents for the evening.

Enjoyed not having 5 other kids screaming thru the door about 2 hours ago!!!!!! I have been having lots of thoughts about stopping babysitting. Not sure what else I would do.
I have a hard time letting go of the commitment I have made to these families and the freindships formed by all of us. I have had most of these kids since they were infants and now they are turning 6.And then they have a younger sib now.

HUGS!!!
Hollyhock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 12:17 PM   #23  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

TO TIG AS SHE PAST ME ON THE BEACH! GO TIG GO!!!

MADCAT~ I MISS MY CAR. ALTHOUGH THIS HAS 4 WHEELS IT SUCKS IN WINTER!

HAPPY~ COOLER HERE TO AND I ACTUALLY HAD TO WEAR A LIGHT JACKET SAT. MORNING. BUT MUCH WARMER TODAY.

HOLLY~ ENJOY THE COMPANY. HOPE THE NEXT JOB YOU PICK DOES NOT INCLUDE CHILDREN OF ANY AFE

CEEJAY~ I THINK OUR LAST STORM GOT A FEW PCS IN THE OFFICE TOO. THE MAN HAS BEEN HERE 3 X'S.

THIS IS RATHER SHORT. TODAY WAS A WORK DAY BUT I AM DONE. VERY CRANKY MELLIE TODAY. MY DAY WAS LIKE SHAD'S BUT ON A MUCH SMALLER AND LESS IMPORTANT SCALE BUT NONETHELESS ******ED AND UNCALLED FOR. EVERY ONE IS ON TIP TOES TILL I LEFT AND CAME UP FOR LUNCH. I JUST CALLED DOWN AND SAID I WAS FINISHED FOR THE DAY, EVERYONE KNOWS WHAT TO DO AND HASTA MANANA!
NOTHING ELSE IS NEW. THE WEATHER IS GORGEOUS AND I WAS OUT QUITE ALOT. I HAD MY CEL PHONE AND WORKED FROM THE BACKYARD LOTS OF AIR AND COMPANY WITH THE GUYS. OFF TO LUNCH NOW AND MAYBE ANOTHER FRESH AIR RIDE. HAVE A GREAT DAY.
MELODY525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 01:34 PM   #24  
Choose your hard

Default Especially to Mel and Shad

Knock, knock
Who's there?
2 Badger
2 Badger who?
"2 Badger" having such a bad day - here's a big for you both

Hope you get it

From one of few remaining sane and anally well prepared, detailed oriented, cares about doing the job right, people in the world.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:07 PM   #25  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

Talking Thanks Happy

FIRST TIME I HAVE LAUGHED ALL DAY!!!

2 BADGER I WORK FOR AND WITH *******S!
MELODY525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 06:04 PM   #26  
Suzi in Auz

ohhh, I'm not sure whether to run and hide. Shad....ekk what a nasty start.
it can only get better right? one would hope so.
Mel, it's great to see you back. wishing you a better Monday!
Ceejay...yaaay you on the exercise. I am off to burn this morning at the gym, first time for 1 month so i am a little hesitant but really keen to get into it again. Hopefully I will find my resolve!
Holly...I love company. glad it is all going so well. the jetlag is a killer. I am sure your home will be a reminder of the "good" things in life, they will LOVE the break from the big city
Happy, hi yep I made it, it was funny you had just posted, i think and i posted to say a quick hi but post went to other thread
Madcat ..do you work with DH ...how cool?

Meadow Hi there, kids are at school again now ?
ok must start my day.
to everyone else ! I'm going for a run on the beach with my newly aquired knees!
suzi in auz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 10:44 PM   #27  

Shad and Mel--Hope the job gets better.

Not much going on. Just popping in to say hello

More later.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:56 PM   #28  
Radiate self!

Wink Who's drinking what?

Shad-Better a ***** than a doormat! You are strong willed, independent and you will be obeyed You keep them accountable and make the buggers come up with the right answers. I've always considered *****dom as a compliment, means you aren't suffering fools and making your thoughts heard. If you were a guy they would be in awe instead of cowardly shifting the buck. You are in good company, think of Rosa Parks refusing to go to the back of the bus.

Mel-you need to find your inner bad girl too Start looking like you don't give a damn. Put your needs first. Xena kicking some *** I think you should go get a massage and don't get caught up in the petty office dramatics of those sad, negative people. Leave when it gets too much for you, you don't need to stick around when they start carrying on. If they can't be civil and treat you with respect, give yourself some space and take a trip around the block, tell them you will be back in half an hour and they better have it together by then or they are on their own completely I'm sorry you have this stress bubbling up again, please don't allow it to continue.

Suzi-how was the beach? did you really run? How do you feel? Nope, my kids don't start back to school till September. We are spending our days colouring, reading, swimming and taking it easy.

Ceejay-Way to go! you are really accumulating the miles Is your butt sore? Sweet dreams

Holly-buttertarts, a truly Canadian treat I hear you on the kids situation, my own drain me enough, I can't imagine having half a dozen extra

Happy-so you are going to buy a wetsuit for the days when the pool is too cool? How beautiful are your toes? You should get Mel to have herself a pedicure when she books in for that massage with Sven I hope work isn't keeping you late during the summer months, enjoy some barbecue and the garden before it disappears. Half way through August already!

Madcat-so is your bike due for a visit to the fixit shop this week? I can't imagine having to take cabs and rentals but when you consider how much gas, insurance and the rest costs, maybe it is cheaper?! Gosh, you two are just newly weds, you shouldn't be bogged down cooking! Enjoy the dinners out

Carla-I hope the friend coming into town made up for things. Fingers crossed you are smiling and enjoying a nice natter

I've a book from the library that has gone missing. I returned it but... I have no idea what happened after that. I am anticipating having to pay for it but I will state my case and who knows maybe it will turn up eventually somewhere in the system. Having a cluster of librarians looking at me, wanting money and my refusing to pay, ripping up my library card... could happen It is very hot here, sweating just folding the laundry. I have been making caesar salad dressing from scratch. The first two times I used oil, then I substituted 10 cherry tomatoes in the blender instead and it was good I was missing the red wine vinegar but bought some today, so back to my alchemy! I even have romaine lettuce I'm the only one who eats it so I can mess about as much as I like. Maybe I'll add some basil. I'm reading Judith Krantz's autobiography now, she is one wild lady Rosemary Clooney's autobiography proved to be enlightening too, who knew she had so many men?! Everybody was doing it big time!

Hello everyone out there in the world Party with cool beverages out on the lawn! Cranraspberry juice with Fresca for everyone
Meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:39 AM   #29  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Evening all,

Aaaaah a much better day today. Gotta love the maintenance people. There is nothing like a tradie to keep you earthed, on track and accountable. They are LOVELY people.

Had little interaction with the other lot today. Maybe they think I am still mad. Nah. Still don't have a logon, Still using the training generic, but it got done. Organisation is fairly lousy but there you go. Even the cleaner didn't know we were starting at 6.30 and has requested a schedule so she can work around us. How that will go down with the pyschologist and the ace trainer I don't really know. But I will do my best to accommodate the dear lady. Some of my classes didn't show up. Why - well they were either on leave, rostered off shift or were attending other training classes. Makes one wonder somewhat hey.

Right so what is Weipa like. Well it is a bit like Groote Eylandt but probably not quite as pretty and a bit more spread out - certainly bigger. The plant is like any other plant - stackers, conveyors, stock piles, dozers, big trucks, bigger trucks and BIGGEST trucks.

I will search out some scenic spots over the weekend. I don't think the others will be in any hurry to show us around anytime soon. But there you go.

Better go pick up my partners in crime for dinner. Catch up again later.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 09:46 AM   #30  

We had nother nasty storm last night. L lost power at work and had to call for back up help, which means T. had to come out in the storm. Its cool but cloudy this morning.

There is not much else going on.

Hello to every one.