Friends Around the World #12 - It's off to Scotland for us

You're on Page 1 of 33
Go to
  • It was fun in Canada and for some reason you ladies have decided to keep it in cool places so we're off to the Isle of Barra.

Barra is about 65 miles from Oban (i.e. the mainland) off the west coast of Scotland. It is linked to a smaller island, Vatersay, via a causeway. These are the most southerly inhabited islands of the Outer Hebrides. Barra has an area of about 35 square miles. There is a long circular road around the island of about 14 miles (the A888). There is a branch road from Northbay which takes you to the cockle-strand/airfield.

The beaches on Barra are magnificent. From the cottage, it is about a mile walk to Tangusdale which has a lovely beach and a hotel with beautiful views if you go down to the lounge. If you keep walking along the west coast, you will go past Allasdale beach, Seal Bay (where you can sit on the beach and watch the seals on the rocks - they often will swim towards the shore to check you out!), and up to Greian Head where the golf course is and a great headland to sit and watch cormorants, shags and various gulls. There is also a beautiful view of the Uists from here.

Barra geology consists of Lewisian gneiss (metamorphosed granite), the oldest rocks in Britain and some of the oldest in the world (some 2,800 million years old). The centre of Barra is hilly, Heaval being the highest point at 1,260 feet, from which you get beautiful views of the island and the islands to the south (recommend to take the hike - its not a hard walk).

From the house, if you go over the hill you can get to Vatersay via the recently built causeway.

Barra is known as the "Garden of the Hebrides" because of the variety of wild flowers. There are over 1000 flower species on the island which should satisfy us photography and nature lovers alike.

Here's some pictures of this beautiful island - I've gone ahead and captured a nice sunset for you Notice the SNOW people - tho right now the temperatures are a high of 56F/12C with rain in the forecast - pretty much what you're used to in the 'Gong right now Shad. At least you can bring along the same woolies.

We'll be staying at The Northbay House - a renovated school house overlooking a lovely lake. Show and tell each night with tea on what we found during our daytime hikes. If we run out of room this place looks nice too - FAIRE MHAOLDONAICH

So, do you think we can convince Linus to come over and visit? Who will teach us Gaelic?

Hope you all like the new place. I can't wait to get out and start exploring... All readers, lurkers and would be posters are welcome to come in and join us, we're quite the friendly group.

• Ah, Happy me girl, tiss a lovely abode you've chosen. I've hired a piper to welcome the worldly chicks and have chosen a comfy chair and made a nice pot a tea for everyone's arrival

• I've always wanted to go to Scotland! This is great!! I'm going to go climb on the rocks then is anyone interested in joining me for tea? Thanks, Happy!! And that's me all wrapped up with the bunny slippers, Meadow!
  • Oh, Happy, thank you. This place thrills my chill Northern soul. It's so beautiful! And 28 a night with baking?? Think we can convince them to make that baking low fat? Or we'll just have to burn the scone calories off scrabbling around the shore each day. A lovely place to commune with the powers that be. Just what we need.
  • *Yawn, stretch* Mffghhtgg. It's a gorgeous morning. Smell that lovely sea air. The cool dampness makes my old bones ache a bit. What incredible history in this place of Barra.

Loved the piper Meadow. And I secretly covet Tig's bunny slippers. I'm waiting until she goes off for a climb on the rocks and then they're mine

And low fat baking? I feel like this place smacks of the old world - as you say, we'll just have to work off the food with some nice hikes around the island.
  • Scotland is a lovely place and I have always wanted to go there. That's not a bad price for lodging either. I 'll be joining Meadow on the rock climbing excursion. Maybe find some new ones to put into my collection. hmmm. Tig have that pot of tea ready.

Went to the gym yesterday. I've started using lighter weights and will be working up towrds the heavier ones. Completed a 52 minute workout yesterday. I will ride the bike today to make up the differences in the cardio.
    I can only do 15 minutes on the treadmill.

I'll see if this will post.
  • Morning all,
    This place is great Happy, reminds me of my tour to Mull and Iona - also islands out from Oban. There are photos of Oban, Mull and Iona on my webshots site. Nice choice. I have my Scots jumpers and socks all packed and ready to go.
    Thats 28 Brit pounds per night - about $75 AusD. Still not a bad price and those British b&b's have to be THE BEST.

I'm going to do a bit of bragging - so if you don't want to hear, then go to the next post.
    Yesterday, when I was moaning about staying in the 'Gong for the rest of the session, the project manager came and sat down beside me and said - 'Don't they just love you up in Groote?' Huh?
    'They are pratically tearing the walls down and want you back there instead of Andrew (now to be called the Teddy bear or TB - not to be confused with Madcats TB now exTB and new DH).
    However, he carried on, it is not negotiable and the have TB.
    Apparently they kicked up a stink and wanted me back. When they were told that TB was on his way they decided they wanted the Finance trainer cancelled and me sent back. Not negotiable. My finance stuff is worse than the twits.
    I ended up writing to the Project head up in Groote telling them of the TB's better qualifications for the 'Techie bits' that lie ahead and telling them that he will fit the Groote psyche as well as I did, that he is a lovely person but not to be fooled by the cuddly teddy impression, there is a damned good brain under the hair. I was flattered but I wasn't coming back. Eventually they have agreed to the status quo. It does make me feel good - especially so as I always think I am doing worse than I am.
    Apparently the thing that made me so popular was the fact that I am quick to grasp the 'site specifics' - that is the way the blokes think, feel and the distress that comes with a new computer system on an already heavy workload and have the ability to express this along with an emphasis on business processes and the need to make some tough decisions in order to make SAP work and earn it's price.

I told the project leader on Groote that I would be using her name on my resume in future

The twit is now back in the 'Gong - rested after all his hard labour (he had to take three days to recover) and we had to work together yesterday - which we managed quite satisfactorily. I think he is now setting himself up to put Plant Maintenance and Material Supply on his resume. One day that boy will self destruct.

Meadow I am looking forward to that cuppa when I arrive. Don't drink it all before I arrive. By the time I get there, I will be tired and irritable and will need to chill out. I like the sound of the seaplane landing on the beach airstrip - which gets washed twice a day!!!
    Since Tigs nabbed the slippers, I guess I'll have to find my sheepskin mocassins (sp) from days of ould.

Madcat - I don't think low-fat and baking are words in the souls of the B&B cooks. There's the big English breakfast - you won't need lunch after that. And usually a wonderful dinner on those islands. I'm not sure that dinner will be included in the price. Certainly the exercise and fresh air will help to burn the calories.

I see Suzi back in the old place. She will catch up with us soon I think. And Mel too. They will return I am sure.

Meantime, time to start moving these bones. Back to the gym today and tomorrow. Sore bones Monday.
  • I'm here and I found you all!!!
    Great news Shad on the compliments, it's so nice to know....yaaay You on standing your ground though!!!
    Ceejay..you are doing so well with your exercise, you put me to shame.
    I love the new avatar too very cheery
    Ahh...so we are in the land of Scots, kilts and loch ness! Yaay. I have never been to scotland and am going to enjoy this visit!! I'm off for a look at the new surrounds, perhaps a walk in the Glen
    Love to all and have super weekends
  • I decided yesterday that I needed a long vacation with out traveling somewhere. Other than going to the gym I've slept most of the week end. The sleep was needed.

Happy--I checked the remember me box. I'll see if that makes a difference.

Shad--Glad your visit to gong is almost fisinished.

Suzi--Glad to see you

Madcat, carla, tig and meadow hello

I'm not much on doing these so called diets. I've tried the southbeach and have failed. It's back to counting calories--calories in verses calories out for me. I will be using fitday.com to help me count. I'm still going to be using the glycemic pyramid.

Today I'm going to play mechanic and check to see why the lawn mower is on the blitz. I think it just misses me being behind it and giving it some tlc.
    I've never had any trouble out of it until the neighbors 12 year old son has been using it. He hasn't been taught the basic mechanics of the lawnmower and all he knows how to do is push and start the mower.

I need to go to the Blyheville super Walmart this morning and over to Lowe's.
  • Snow People???
    HAPPY ~I COULDN'T SEE THE SNOW PEOPLE! AND I LOOKED AT ALL THE PICS TOO! THIS PLACE IS GORGEOUS AND I IMMEDIATELY FELT REJUVENATED!!(SP) I AM READY TO TOW ANYONE UP TO THE HIGHES POINT!!! THE VIEWS MUST BE SPECTACULAR. THANKS FOR REFRESHING OUR SPIRITS THIS MORNING!! YOU ATE THE 'MATER WITHJOUT ME!!! WELL....BETTER YPOU THAN THOSE PESKY BIRDS!!!

MEADOW~ GOING TO GET RESTARTED ON "SARAH" THIS WEEKEND. EVERY TIME I TRIED IN THE PAST, I WAS INTERRUPTED. I SAW A RAINBOW ON MONARCH OF THE GLEN AND EVEN ON TV THEY FILL THE SOUL WITH HAPPINESS. JEN AND I LOVE LAURA. SHE ESPECIALLY. WE BOUGHT HUGE STRAWBERRIES AND THEY'RE DIVINE. FROM CALIFORNIA TOO!. I WOULD LOVE TO GET THE "CAMPION" SERIES FROM THE LIBRARY AFTER SARAH.

SHAD~ FINALLY SOME REALLY GREAT RECOGNITION!! MUST FEEL WONDERFUL. AS MUCH AS WE TRY TO TELL YOLU HOW GREAT YOU ARE....I AM SURE IT IS VERY REWARDING TO HEAR IT FROM SOMEONE AT WORK WHERE IT HAS GREATER MEANING. GLAD THEY LET YOU KNOW. ENJOY THE WRMTH OF THE FEELING OF HAVING DONE A JOB WELL!! WE HAVE A LOT OF SAP HEADS HERE BUT NOT THE KIND I THINK YOU WANT!

: MADCAT~ YOU BIKED TO THE GYM!!! YOU GO GIRL!! I MUST SAY I MISSED THAT BIT TILL I READ MEADOW'S POST! LOL GOOD FOR YOU WOMAN!!! MUST BE ALL THAT NEWLYWED GLOW GOING ON!!! HAVE YOU AND DH BEEN REUNITED AT LAST?!?! I FELT LONELY JUST THINKING ABOUT HIM BEING AWAY. TELL HIM NOT TO DO IT AGAIN!!

: SUZI~ GOOD TO SEE YOU BACK AGAIN. TRY NOT TO DISAPPEAR ALTOGETHER. GOOD NEWS ABOUT ORLANDO. HOPE YOU WILL ALL ENJOY THE TRIP. MELBOURNE SOUNDED GREAT TOO. LOTS OF TIME TO YOURSELVES AND NEW EXPLORATIONS AS WELL. WELCOME HOME.

CEEJAY~ I WAS WONDERING WHY I COULDN'T KEEP A LOG-IN TILL I TOO READ HAPPY'S POST. I WASN'T GETTING ANY NOTICES EITHER. GUESS MY COMPUTER CRASH DID MORE THAN I THOUGHT. YOUR EXERCISING IS GREAT. HOW IS SB PHASE II? I COULDN'T DO PHASE 1 EITHER. MADE ME RAVENOUS FOR CARBS AND ALSO I NEED THE FIBER TO KEEP THINGS "MOVING ALONG".
    HOPE YOU LIKE THIS PLAN. IF IT WORKS OUT WELL FOR YOU I HAVE THE FIRST COOKBOOK I COULD SEND YOU AS I DON'T USE IT. LET ME KNOW.

LAST NIGHT'S MEETING WAS A FARCE. THE WEATHER WAS AWFUL. THUNDER AND A HUGE LIGHT SHOW AND DOWNPOUR. GOT HOME AFTER 11 PM. SLEPT IN LATE AND MISSED SAYING GOODBYE TO A FRIEND WHO WAS LEAVING FOR VACATION. SIGH.
    I THINK THIS WEEKEND BETTER BE SORTING OUT THE HOUSE. IT'S STILL A MESS AND NEXT WEEK IS ALL CLUTTERED UP WITH PROMISES. WE CAN'T BOTH BE CLUTTERED AT THE SAME TIME! ORGANIZATION IS WHAT WILL GET ME THRU TIS COMING WEEK.
    MONDAY IS MALL DAY AND A VISIT FROM JEN AND THE KIDS.
    TUESDAY IS FOOD SHOPPING FIRST AND THEN THE ELECTION AND IT ENDS AT 8 PM.
    WEDS AND THURS ARE ARTS AND CRAFTS.
    JUST IN CASE....I MIGHT NOT BE BACK TILL FRIDAY. I NEED TO WATCH OUT FOR ARMS/& SHOULDERS & EYES. GOING TO TRY FOR MODERATION THIS TIME.
    IN THE MEANTIME HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND:SCOOTER:
  • Love our New home
    Wow well done finding this place....it will be so much fun to hike it and explore. I am looking forward to all the sites and sounds and enjoy the good company. Thanks Happy for taking such good care of us!
    Good Job Shad, you deserve that and much more. Hope your time there goes fast. Are you really going to TAZ next. FUN!
    Mel hope you are feeling good and enjoying the weekend. I had company last weekend and it was somuch fun. It rained a lot but we made the most of it. Went up to a hotsprings and sat in it for about 3 hours sipping port and just letting the light rain fall all around us..... they helped me do a few odd jobs which helps me out.
    Well, I am so tired of Brownie not getting me home at night I went ahead an ordered a 150cc scooter today. I am so excited about it and it gets like 60-80 miles to the gallon. IT is a Tank series DE so you can view it online if you want..... it even has a radio and speakers two trunk spaces and can carry two people. So no more being stuck at work at the end of a day....hurrah. And yes I have a good helmet coming with the order too!
    I am not doing so well with my 30 minutes a day yet.... I am taking Toby Two down the hill this morning to get Brownie home I hope so that will be a good 2+ miles. IT was Toby's 1st birthday yesterday...what a cutie he is...my company wanted to steal him for sure.
    To all of you I want to wish you the best with what ever challenges you are facing and I am so happy you all come here to share your joys and struggles on this thread. It makes my day sometimes to just read about each of your days and thoughts. We do have a special place here.
    Well, best put on those walking shoes and head down the mountain.
    Love to you all,
    Nae
  • Afternoon all,

Quick note before I have to repack and buzz off to the airport again for another week of training.

Had breakfast with the family this morning and so haven't got to the gym. I went yesterday and did an hour on the bike, treadmill, weights and pilates. I thought I would be a lot stiffer than I am. So far so good. However I did notice the lack of stamina. Look forward to getting back to it full time.

Ceejay - those plans such as South Beach take a lot of determination and a lot of will power. You really have to be motivated for that first phase. However if you can make it past that phase, you will probably stick to it for life.

Mel, sorry to hear that the elections are proving difficult. But you are right to take some down time. It can only refresh and rejuvenate.

Roseblush - good going on the scooter. Sometimes we just have to bite the bullet and get something to replace the troublemaker. I know that I could never put up with an unreliable vehicle any longer since I really rely on that car to get me around. I'm thinking of replacing my one shortly. It will be 3 years old at Christmas. Time for a new one, this will be out of warranty soon.

Suzi, getting excited about Orlando. Well good for you. Nice place to take the family. Hope you can manage to meet up with a couple of the 'chicks' while you are there.

Okay, time to get moving again. I need a drink and a snack and then back into the cleaning routine some more. Bathroom next.

See you from the "Gong next week.

Oh yes, and if you do not hear from Mel for a while, she is resting up after some stroppy and strenuous election days.
  • I THOUGHT I HAD BETTER POST TODAY. THERE IS MUCH TO BE DONE NEXT WEEK SO I'LL BE MISSING FOR A FEW DAYS. MY WEEKEND IS NOT GOING AS PLANNED. LOL
    NOTHING NEW WITH THAT. I MADE TUNA NOODLE SALAD AND HAVEN'T HAD THAT IN A LONG TIME. COOKED A LONDON BROIL AND STEAMED RICE AND VEGGIES. THIS WAY WHEN I COME HOME EACH DAY DINNER IS READY AND NOT ONE OF THOSE TV DINNER-TYPES EITHER.
    ALL THE CHAIRS ARE CHARGED AND CLOTHES ARE PICKED OUT. ALL I HAVE TO DO IS STAY AWAKE!

NAE~ VERY GLAD TO HEAR ABOUT THE SCOOTER CONGRATULATIONS. IS THIS BROWNIE II???? LOL
    DO BOTH DOGGIES APPROVE? AND DO THEY FIT IN THE COMPARTMENTS? LOTS OF LUCK AND DRIVE SAFELY:HUG: THE HOT SPRINGS AND COMPANY SOUNDED GRAND.

SHAD~ GOOD LUCK WITH THE "GONG"!! DARE I ASK WHAT IS NEXT?? HOW DID THE WORK DS DID COME OUT?? DID I MISS THE OUTCOME?? OR HAVE YOU NOT SEEN IT ALL YET?? HAVE A GOOD WEEK. AND FOR HEAVENS SAKE...NOW THAT YOU GOT THE COMPLIMENTS, DON'T HURT ANYONME THIS WEEK!

TO ALL THE OTHER CHICKS!!! I WILL MOST LIKELY SEE YOU ALL AROUND FRIDAY. GOING TO TRY MODERATION WITH MY ARMS THIS WEEK AND HOPE FOR THE BEST. LOL HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEK AND FOR THOSE WITH GOALS....GOOD LUCK!!!
  • Mel--Sounds like you have a good plan and are prepared. I meant to do that this week end but the zzzzzzz's took over. I've been extremely tired.

Shad--I'm on Phase 2 of the South Beach just couldn't do the phase one because of the restriction.

Nae--Glad to see you. Scooters are really economical on gas. I've noticed that one of our crew has been riding one to work.

I'm concentrating on exercise this month. Didn' t go to the gym yesterday nor will I go today. These are my rest day's for the weights. However, I did ride the bike for 5 miles yesterday and will probably do so again today after work. I've been having trouble rolling out of bed because of sore abs. All in all the food intake has not been to bad, just a few bad choices.

I found my old folder from when I went to the weight loss center. It's basically the same as the cholesterol diet that I was on once before and is very simple to follow. The menu is planned for you all I'd have to do is prepare it.
  • Hello everyone,

It's turning out to be a very busy weekend. I had to work until after 9pm on Friday - problems with month end processing. Yesterday was filled with deep cleaning the house, a trip to the bookstore and home improvement center along with weekend chores. Today is laundry, more cleaning and I hope to get a swim in the pool once the full on sun hits the area since it's a little "cooler" today - only in the low 80s.

I love June. It means my family is coming to visit at the end of the month. Mom's coming early - she'll be here in less than 2 weeks so it's time to get the house in order again. I also picked up a new book - Superfoods RX that looks very interesting. If you're going to eat, might as well eat the stuff that gives you the most bang for your calories. Still experimenting with the juicer and my smoothie recipe book. This morning we had a slush made from fresh strawberries, red grapes and pitted cherries - pitting them wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but I'm still going to get a cherry stoner. It was good -tart but very refreshing and I got my fruit for the day. I'm starting to realize just how much sugar they add into processed juice drinks. Yesterday we had a smoothie made from peaches, bananas and strawberries. Just fruit, some crushed ice and a bit of water if it gets too thick and binds down the blender. I can just feel all the vitamins and antioxidants flowing through the body. And unlike regular bottled juices, it doesn't set you on a sugar rush.

Lunch today is grilled portabella and gouda burgers - bacon cheddar for DH along with some nice cool watermelon. Wunnerful, wunnerful.

Back to the housework for now, will catch up with y'all this eveining. Enjoy your Sunday.