Old 03-31-2006, 07:36 AM   #1  
loves kleenex box art

Default April showers bring cows' flowers

I am here but barely. DS's birthday is Sunday and there is much to do before then. There's much HE has to do but you know how it is.

I'm thinking KiwiDD should say in Dogpatch and get her degree via internet. I don't want these kids to leave. Mine is becoming a pretty neat person and I want to enjoy him.

I really really am shaggy and need a haircut and I don't trust any beautician to do it. They're all on drugs I think. I found one that does great work. I know a couple of people who use her and I made an appointment but had to cancel it because of DS's needs and now she won't return my calls. Does that make sense? I know they don't like cancellations but it's not like I didn't show up. Things happen. Guess I'll keep looking.
Cowpernia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:31 AM   #2  
haggy-saggy aprongutarse

stupid hairdresser----if she is THAT sensitive who needs her!!!!---find a nice gay guy to do it---they usually are pretty good!---KIWONKERS!!!!--- i loved your review---NOW do you have any audio we can listen to????? especially MY IMMORTAL!!!! i loooooooooove that-----imagine the BF and your darling ---they will have such GREAT memories of their last year of highschool---and such a supportive mama!! what could be better!!! dd20 played at an open mic at her university but of course i missed that {four hour drive,i don't think so } but last night dd21 played a set at a local bar so my friend and i went OUT at 10 o'clock at night,thinking she would play at eleven---she got on stage at 12;30!!!!!!! and the guy playing before her kept saying things like " i hope the older ladies don't mind my stylings{rude at best}" OLDER LADIES---AND MY FRIEND IS ONLY 39!!!!----snot----------ANYway---we eventually did hear dd and thank god she was worth the wait!!! got home after one in the morning----and my throat and headcold are much WORSE of course----what we do for these kids ---AT ANY AGE---- we are still their greatest fans!!!!---------------i know how you feel peachers about ds----it is really nice when they come for a visit though----it's hard to imagine only having 'visits' but i guess we all have to adjust somehow to this empty nest thing---and maybe someday we will have little Kaydens like lucky Wabby!!!!----{not too soon of course!!!} i am going to work now to relieve my girl for her lunch---i should be able to infect a few people with my nasty cold------------------------THANKS FOR SHOPPING---NOW TAKE THIS!!!
Bagzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 01:37 PM   #3  

Typhoid Bagzie.

I'm lining up entertainment for this weekend while DH is off fishing -- movie tonight w/ my sis, then----- Gardenpalooza on Saturday (40 vendors - outside in the rain-- should be fun -- then bunco Saturday evening--- what else can I cram in??? It sounds like I'm happy he's leaving, huh? I'm just happy my doggies will be with me - nothing like a pitbull to make you feel secure.

The haircutting dilemma - I've gone to the same person for 15 years - she calls me to remind me of appts because she knows how dizzy I am.

I'm really going to go and get my work done today. My desk will be clear at the end of the day. Yeeeeaaahh right.

Last edited by Wabby; 03-31-2006 at 01:50 PM.
Wabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 06:39 PM   #4  

My desk is clear. Now I'm bored. Everyone else has gone home. I have one more hour. I'm losing my mind.

We're going for mexican food before the movie, so I plan on a margie tonight. I will be thinking of you all.... Have a great weekend.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:00 PM   #5  
Member w/ messiest house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagzz
the guy playing before her kept saying things like " i hope the older ladies don't mind my stylings{rude at best}" OLDER LADIES---AND MY FRIEND IS ONLY 39!!!!--
What a jerk! You should have hobbled up to the stage, put your hand to your ear and said in a little creaky voice "What's that, Sonnyboy? Did you say something about old ladies? You want me to hit you with my walker? Eh, Sonnyboy?"

Well, maybe not when your DD is going to be onstage next, but you know....

Anyway, sounds enjoyable despite the late hour.

Last night we went out to "Student Night" at the local Philharmonic Society. Kind of a recital opportunity for music students in the area. As far as I know this is the first time DD has performed at this (sometimes they have elementary or middle school chorus groups perform, so we don't entirely remember... senility setting in already). The seniors were told that if they wanted a music scholarship from the group, it would "nice" for them to perform, so that is part of the motivation for them. DD's bf accompanied 4 vocal solos, including DD singing one of those Italian classical songs. She had sung this for her own recital a couple of years ago, but I think she actually did it even better this time. I was hoping the BF would do a piano solo, no luck. He hates the spotlight. He promises to do one for Senior Class Day. Anyway, it was a very nice night, and bf's parents invited us over from liquid refreshment afterwards and we watched the video from the variety show and had a lot of laughs.

I will check into whether DD has any new music online, Bagz. DH also says he is going to copy some of our videotape onto DVD, so I could actually post that, if I figured out where or how....

I think I'm going to take DD prom dress shopping today. Neither of us are all that motivated. Maybe she'd like something from my closet... Ha.

Kiwi
Kiwonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 12:12 PM   #6  
Member w/ messiest house

Default Just a warning

I've been getting several virus-infected spam emails today. They are contained in emails that look like something from your ISP postmaster about returned email or your email account. They contained the W32.Mydoom.M@mm and W32.Mytob.U@mm viruses, in attached zip files and .cmd, .scr, .html, and even .txt files.
Be sure your virus software and definitions are up to date, so you don't get infected!

Kiwi
Old 04-01-2006, 05:08 PM   #7  
haggy-saggy aprongutarse

thanks for the warning kiwonk!!!---there is a place to show your videos called youtube--the ad says==YouTube is a way to get your videos to the people who matter to you. Take a look at some of the creative videos that other YouTube members have contributed to the site!

To get you started, here are some of the fun things you can do with YouTube:

You will have your own page to show off your videos
People can leave comments for each of your videos
Have your own, personalized RSS feed for your videos
Set privacy levels on each video so you can decide who can see them
Show off your videos from your homepage or blog ---blah blah blah---but i think kiwietta could put them on myspace couldn't she???? LOOKING FORWARD TO IT!!! XOX
Bagzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 10:20 PM   #8  

I'm glad you all have a new thread, because I'm using that as an excuse not to read all the stuff I'd have to read to catch up. Please forgive me.

I am still fat. I at least had the idea of buying a book: Ultra Metabolism. It says (so far) that all the normal advice to lose weight is cr*p. Well, none of the normal advice has worked for me, so I'm hoping there will be something useful.
I can't pick stuff up off the floor. I am afraid to exercise. My hair came back post-chemo dark GRAY and CURLY. (What the *$%^?)

I miss you guys. Had a great time yesterday looking at some of the 400,000 bulbs planted and blooming in the local arboretum.

I'm going to try to get back here more regularly.

Last edited by PainterWoman; 02-27-2008 at 03:47 PM.
PainterWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 12:14 PM   #9  
loves kleenex box art

today DS is EIGHTEENENENNNN!!! It's a beautiful day here and we are going out to see a movie and to a sushi place probably.

I think I got a B in my last class. P*ss*d about it. It's a class specifically meant to teach us ways to get through to kids. Teaching methods. The teacher said it's THE class she's always wanted to teach. Yet .. all the papers we turned in throughout the six weeks were returned on the last day. No feedback. ANDDD we had to do a presentation then score ourselves on this rubric sheet. There were three areas to check like Not So Good, Real Good and WOW. I have trouble scoring myself WOW. It actually said WOW. But here's the thing Real Good turned out (she probably said this but it wasn't on the sheet and I didn't know) to mean a score of 7 or 8 on a 10 scale AND let's say the category read "organized" and I checked after it that put the check in the middle of the box and SHE ASSIGNED IT a 7. If the category read "well organized and clearly presented" and I checked after that, it put the check at the end of the box and SHE ASSIGNED IT an 8. If the category filled the box and I checked under it in the middle, 7. End, 8. Same with WOW.

I could email her and argue this but it would only give me 5 or 6 points and probably isn't worthwhile. I'm very disappointed in her. She's been teaching gifted kids for years and has that laid-back random attitude that they would like.

So anyhow my baby is .. an adult? Is he?
Old 04-02-2006, 02:45 PM   #10  
Member w/ messiest house

Default Happy Birthday To Peachboy!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpernia
I'm very disappointed in her. She's been teaching gifted kids for years and has that laid-back random attitude that they would like.
DD says that if that's based on competence, okay, but if not they most definitely don't like that random laid-back stuff. I know what she means; she has some laid-back teachers that are well organized themselves and very clear about what they expect, but they trust the students and therefore don't have to sit on them all the time (unlike the teachers that don't trust them who just keep imposing rule after rule). But I don't think the kids have any respect for teachers that don't tell them what to expect. DD especially dislikes that random unpredictable sort of teacher -- her English teacher is like that -- because it's a sign of laziness and incompetence in that case. She's exactly the type who doesn't pass back papers with any usable commentary and would have the kids grade themselves and then use some fictional grading system to give them the actual grades. Do you get to critique this class at the end?

Yes, indeed! DS is an adult! Don't let it go to his head. He's also still a kid. Your kid. It is kind of interesting to be able to say to them "you're an adult, you decide" now and then. Also a little scary.

DD and I were talking on the ride home from shopping yesterday, and I asked her if she and the BF had talked about next year at all. He will be an hour or 2 away from her. She said that he said he was going to get a car and "visit her every weekend" to which she apparently replied "no, you're not" . On the other hand, she envisions coming home on weekends quite often -- she will have plenty of opportunities to get rides home with the BF or his twin (who will be about an hour south of DD).

We didn't buy a prom dress, but we bought almost everything else. She tried on a beautiful white one Like this only white, but it was a bit overpriced -- especially because it had clearly been worn! It had makeup stains here and there. We asked if we could get the price reduced -- heck, no, but they would be glad to order us another one for full price. Sheesh. It had a tag right on it saying "this special occasion garment is not returnable". I'll betcha one of the salesgirls wore it...

Hi Painty! Glad you're around. You know, every woman I know who has gone through chemo got iron-gray curly hair when it grew in. I thought it was just them, but maybe not. You have a good hairdresser, right?

Guess what we're doing today. The high school is going through accreditation and they invited parents to come in and share their views with the visiting accreditation team. What were they thinking?

Kiwi
Old 04-03-2006, 09:30 AM   #11  
loves kleenex box art

Yes we critiqued her but before grades were handed out. I don't know how much everything counts. It's probably in some paper she passed out the first day.

DS is not going to the prom because lcp is gone. Kind of sad.

Soooooo..... it's clear that Kiwidd has decided where she's going to school. It's final because she knows where bf and bftwin will be in relation to her.

I hate all this time change stuff. Why don't they figure out that one is better all the time?

YALLLLL, I am editing this. My new class starts tonight and guess who the teacher is ?!?!?!?!? It is the woman who I talked to at DS's school recently AFATER saying I didn't want to talk to HER then I called the PRINCIPAL to insist that nothing I had said to her be repeated or used against DS. She got SO ENTHUSIASTIC on thinking she could get him in trouble. No kid likes her. When I went to first day ceremonies when he was in 10th grade, every teacher was introduced and every teacher got big student applause ... except her . clap ... clap .... clap .. silence.

OK. yesterday was the birthday of DS and we went to a lovely Japanese restaurant where he ate sushi and I ate cooked salmon. We have lovely tea and lovely lovely lovely fried ice cream with a candle it. Then we saw Inside Man and sat so close to the screen that when two people talked, we had to turn our heads and look from one to the other. Was fun. Then we went to pick up food for dinner and went to a sandwich/salad place with great atmospher and DS took a job application.

Back to this teacher ... I just looked at what she has online AND we are greeted with a warning against plaigiarism. I don't care how it's spelled. This is not a writing class. I am shaking in my SAS's.

Last edited by Cowpernia; 04-03-2006 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:31 AM   #12  
Member w/ messiest house

Quote:
DS is not going to the prom because lcp is gone. Kind of sad.
Yeah, that's too bad. It seems like he should be able to go on his own or with friends and still have fun, but I suppose that's not very likely. One of DD's friends won't go because her bf is in school out of town. DD is trying to convince her to go anyway just because it's senior year and she should have fun.
Quote:
Soooooo..... it's clear that Kiwidd has decided where she's going to school. It's final because she knows where bf and bftwin will be in relation to her.
Ha! Wrong! Here's the run-down: Columbia passed (foolish foolish Columbia). Brown put her on the waiting list, so that is a remote possibility, and she will go there if they offer her a spot, but she wouldn't hear until maybe June. She got into USM, Emerson, Brandeis, and Tufts. I haven't seen the Tufts (financial aid) package because it just arrived today, and durn it, it doesn't have my name on the outside... So she will be in the Boston area, or possibly in Providence, RI, but no, she has not decided. Both Boston and Providence are on the way back to Maine for BFtwin and no more than a couple hours drive from BF. Et voila!

Tomorrow night DD and DH are heading down to Mass. to go to the open house at Brandeis where they will treat her extremely well and she will come home wanting to go there. Then in a couple of weeks we will no doubt visit Tufts and Emerson again who will also convince her that she cannot live without them. And then she will decide. Unless of course that package from Tufts contains some surprises -- like tons of financial aid. Or none. That would make the decision easier...
Quote:
My new class starts tonight and guess who the teacher is ?!?!?!?!? It is the woman who I talked to at DS's school ... She got SO ENTHUSIASTIC on thinking she could get him in trouble.
Dye your hair and wear sunglasses!

I need a nap.

Kiwi
Old 04-03-2006, 05:29 PM   #13  
loves kleenex box art

Please go to your address book and cross out the post office box address for me. I don't have it anymore . Ijust learned that a sweet sweet person sent something to me there because I didn't tell her. Go now. I'll wait here til you do.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:33 PM   #14  

Painty, I'm still fat too. In fact, I think I'm fatter than the last time you posted. I think that steel gray color is purdy. One of the classiest wimmin I know has that color, cut really short. Looks sophisticated.

So much going on -

Peaches, don't you hate it when things backfire like that -- this teacher sounds like a real ray of sunshine. Sounds like your birthday dinner w/ DS was perfect.

Kiwi - I checked out the Brandais website and it looks fabulous. sigh -- to be young again and have every thing before you.... she, of course will do great where ever she decides to go. We want prom pictures, ya know.

I saw the best movie w/ my sis - it's an independent film, Mrs. Paltry at the Claremont. It was about aging, and friendship and it wasn't even schmaltzy. Joan Plowright played the lead and she was wonderful. The exciting part about it (other than it being really good) was that the director, Dan Ireland, was in the theatre, and before the movie he talked a little about making it and after he answered questions. So fun.

We went to Gardenpalooza and it was so crowded you couldn't even look, so I didn't bring home any plant babies. Bunco was a blast, my weekend was going along just fine --- then I woke up Sunday morning w/ the mother of all migraines. I really thought it had to be more than a migraine because I was soooo nauseous --- I was robbed of 1/2 my weekend. Why doesn't it ever happen on a work day when I might be able to enjoy a good migraine????
Old 04-03-2006, 07:41 PM   #15  
Member w/ messiest house

Quote:
Please go to your address book and cross out the post office box address for me.
OO, I still had that address in one of my address books, although I had changed the other one. I guess you won't get the thing I sent you either.

April Fools -- I didn't send you anything... Aren't you relieved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabby
The exciting part about it (other than it being really good) was that the director, Dan Ireland, was in the theatre, and before the movie he talked a little about making it and after he answered questions. So fun.
That must have been cool! Was it in that fab movie center you told us about a few months ago? I love movies. Why I did move to a town without a movie theater? Actually it had a movie theater, with 2 screens, when I moved here. It was so small and poorly constructed that you could hear the other movie through the wall. It went out of business. Go figure. One time we went to a movie there and the movie was so bad we finally decided to leave and check out the movie next door. It was Porky's 2. We left that too. Oy.

Good lord what AM I yammering on about. DD received a beautiful little vase of flowers this afternoon. From Le Beau, of course. It is their six month anniversary, incredibly. I decided to make them a nice dinner, so I had salmon steaks and I even made a cake. It was one of those chocolate "wacky" cakes with vinegar and baking soda that you mix in the pan. Really rich and moist. I made it in a springform pan, because I wanted it round instead of square and it needed taller sides than a regular round cake pan. It was a bad choice. Before I could get it mixed, some of the oil seeped out the bottom. But once I got it stirred up, it was fine. I wanted it round so that I could cut it in half and make a "half anniversary" cake (with 2 layers). I was going to frost it with penuche frosting after dinner. Unfortunately, DDbf's twin called right after dinner and needed him to come home and give him some car keys so he could deliver some stuff to their dad's worksite, so BF couldn't stay for cake. Ah well, the best laid plans, y'know. Anyway the cake was excellent... Don't worry, DD boxed up a big piece to take over to him later.

Does it bother you if you are doing something on a website and you come to a button that you have to push that is labelled "Submit"?

I am going to be on my own with Jet for 2 days starting tomorrow afternoon. I have to stay home from the Brandeis trip because we have a very big music boosters meeting concerning the chaperones for the trip to NYC and I'm afraid if I miss the meeting I will lose my place on the fun bus, or have to room with the horrible mom, or something.

Seriously, there is a fun bus. And a horrible mom. Sometimes I really seem to be back in high school myself.

I am supposed to room with the mom of the girl we take to the beach every summer. That should be A-Ok. If it weren't for the fact that DDbf's parents are both going, I would probably be rooming with one of them. I mean his mother. I'm a stitch, aren't I?

Kiwi