Old 03-18-2006, 11:30 PM   #1  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Wink Friends Around the World - #11 - The Canadian Tour

Hey everyone, welcome to our new home for the next few months - all are welcome to join us. We're off to get a better look at some of the lovely places in Canada. Just in time for spring...

First things first, we need some place to call home base. I found this nice Victorian in Cabbagetown (Toronto) which would seem to suit us just fine. 3000 square feet of loft style space on 3 floors. Very high ceilings throughout, 3 washrooms, kitchen has commercial style stove, Zen Garden, 3rd floor has deck.

Lots of room for all of us to move about. Check out those nice hardwood floors. What say we break out the cushy socks and do some slip sliding away followed by a good old fashioned sock hop.

A roomy bath tho we have to do something about that tiny mirror that just won't do...

A nice big kitchen for us to cook in -

Last edited by happy2bme; 03-19-2006 at 12:58 PM.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 11:36 PM   #2  
Choose your hard

Default And then a girl's got to have some place to holiday!

Based on Carla’s suggestion (thank YOU Carla, it’s gorgeous), we’re off to the Le Chateau Montebello for a bit of a holiday jaunt.

Check out that fireplace in the lobby.

Last one at the pool gets to fetch all the drinks for the rest of us

Old 03-18-2006, 11:39 PM   #3  
Choose your hard

Default Last but not least, the gardens

And when we’re looking to enjoy a little of nature’s beauty, it’s time for a stop in the gardens. Victoria (British Columbia) has many gardens including a butterfly one, but this has to be my favorite… talk about a riot of color.

I’m sure there will be many places to visit in the next month or so – have to check out Ruth’s fair and Holly’s little hamlet in the country. But let’s get settled in first. See you back at the apartment, I'll put a pot of coffee on.

Last edited by happy2bme; 03-19-2006 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:10 AM   #4  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Oh well done Happy
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 08:31 AM   #5  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

Oh well done Happy!!! The gardens are absolutely gorgeous and I am going to take a lovely ride through them as soon as I get off!! I love both places!! all we need is Tom and his white socks and shirttails!!! Thanks for the uplift this morning. Nice of you and DH to go out on a dinner date!! I love it!

Holly~ good luck with your "choices". It's a tough one for sure. I love Debbie Travis. Haven't watched her lately but she does a great show.

Shad~ I might not be able to move as fast as Shad but I think I can bark as loudly!! Hope your week is a better one.

Teel~ You are too late. I already mentioned the C word the other day as I bought some gifts for the kids then!! Hope you friend will be happy with the move.
I love the Christmas card shopping. Wonder if we have a shoew like that. YOur card along with the rest are still hanging around my map like a frame on my livingroom wall!

I forget who else posted on the old site.....
I found out last night why my pages won't load....I think. I am getting busy server notices or they just don't load...but I notice in the morning or very late at night that doesn't happen. Then the pop-up that says page loading and you can choose to skip this ad loads with no problem and I can go to any page in the forum I choose. So I am assumng that is the culprit. Anyway, nothing I can do.
Windy and cold here so I must find an indoor sport. I was busy tossing out old papers, mail etc yesterday and I think a dvd is in order for the day.
Hope your weekends are going well and have a great week.
MELODY525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 08:47 AM   #6  

Feeling Very proud and Patriotic!!!!!

O Canada!

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!

Hollyhock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 08:53 AM   #7  

Height: 5'-2"

What fun, and such lovely photos!
Please stop by Ottawa!!
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 10:47 AM   #8  
Smackin' into a Wall

Oh Happy, how lovely!! Great job... and I know this fabulous little pub that close to the Victorian, just on Parliament street. Cabbagetown is very desirable address in this city, but I shudder to think what 3000 sq ft would cost there! How representative were your selections. Oh, and it probably is spring in BC already...

In Days of yore,
From Britain's shore
Wolfe the dauntless hero came
And planted firm Britannia's flag
On Canada's fair domain.
Here may it wave,
Our boast, our pride
And joined in love together,
The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
The Maple Leaf Forever.

[CHORUS]
The Maple Leaf
Our Emblem Dear,
The Maple Leaf Forever.
God save our Queen and heaven bless,
The Maple Leaf Forever.

At Queenston Heights and Lundy's Lane
Our brave fathers side by side
For freedom's home and loved ones dear,
Firmly stood and nobly died.
And so their rights which they maintained,
We swear to yeild them never.
Our watchword ever more shall be
The Maple Leaf Forever

[CHORUS]

Our fair Dominion now extends
From Cape Race to Nootka Sound
May peace forever be our lot
And plenty a store abound
And may those ties of love be ours
Which discord cannot sever
And flourish green for freedom's home
The Maple Leaf Forever

[CHORUS]

Ok that is now probably a politically incorrect song now. How things change. Oddly, I believe it was written by a Russian emigrant. Nice there is not mention of the original French settlement of Canada -which happened about 2 centuries before Wolfe waltzed in... Sure The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined - but no mention of the French at all?? No Fleur de Lys? And what about the people who were here before that? Man, I guess the "victors" do write the history. Actually a pretty offensive song on a few levels.

Drinks on the deck anyone?

Last edited by Madcat; 03-19-2006 at 10:56 AM.
Madcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 02:21 PM   #9  
Radiate self!

Thank you for the new abode Happy. I have put some bees wax on my socks for better sliding on our new hardwood floor A spring visit to the west coast isn't complete without a visit to the planetarium *I did a work experience at the museum there when I was a teenage It is a great place, especially if you can get in on one of the classroom visits where they talk about all the constellations and spin the stars around the ceiling

Meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 02:56 PM   #10  
Radiate self!

Meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 04:14 PM   #11  
Choose your hard

Oh, I LOVE the planetarium!!! And those chickens Where do you find these pictures Meadow - hahahahahahahah. Do they sell shoes like that for humans? Sprong, sprong. sprong

Is that supposed to be a "spring" chicken????
Old 03-19-2006, 06:07 PM   #12  

Default Morning all

And didn't she do well. Cabbagetown??? a desirable area. Ha Ha Ha. A bit like Ballsbridge - top spot in Dublin. Oh we do have some funny names.

So now we have the words to the Canadian anthem. Thanks Holly - next time I see the Maple Leaf being hoisted at the games I can sing along. And we have a National poem. You are right Madcat - to the victor goes the spoils. No getting away from that.

Meadow - don't you just love the colour of the Jacaranda. It really is a great tree - unfortunately has now been declared a noxious weed along with the camphor laurel in the State of Queensland since it grows so quickly and voraciously up there. Beautiful tho'

I WANT A PAIR OF THOSE SHOES ON THOSE OTHER OLD HENS!!!!!!

Ellis - great to see you visiting us. Do drop in whenever. We love visitors, lurkers, passers-by etc.etc. Was going to say deviants and miscreants but thought someone might take offence.

Got back to Sydney last night and had to sign my life away at the airport to get my car out of the long term carpark (ticket in wallet - wallet is wherever). However I gave the possibility some thought. The Qld Police told me to get them (Airport Parking) to ring the Qld Police and quote the Crime Report Number, but I thought that they would probably not want to do that so I got a statement from my passenger as to the time we arrived and took my Passport and the car registration papers. Predictably they didn't want to report to the Police, didn't care to see S's statement, but were happy with the Passport and the rego papers. Thank heaven for that. The rego papers were the best thing going apparently. Drove through the rotten rain and fog to the 'Gong and fell into bed around midnight again. I'm using an apartment which belongs to one of the other developers this week until my flat is ready and the lease is printed etc. I'm living in the lap of luxury. It is sooooooo different from the other place I had. But it is a hike from the beach and the walking tracks. I guess you can't have it all. I'll have to try to do some exercise tonight. Maybe I'll try to find an exercise dvd and do that at the apartment this week. When I get to my new place, it is on a very steep hill. I'll probably get all the exercise I need just going up and down the driveway! Good news in that department too (boy I need some good news), I will now have a tv, toaster, jug, microwave, crockery, cleaning stuff included in the rent - yeehaa I don't have to go buy it as I thought I might.

Better get on with it. I have 3 Workbooks, 15 Quick Reference guides, and upload training data to finalise by the end of the week. The fingers should be fair smokin' after that lot.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:10 PM   #13  

Um uhuh maybe it is not a Jacaranda on second look.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:28 PM   #14  
Choose your hard

Shad, are things all right back at home? Just read about Cyclone Larry tearing up the shore. I know you're not right on the water but the story was out of Brissy...

I too thought that Cabbagetown did not sound like a towny / exclusive area but Madcat said it is and she is most familiar with the area. Hey, a place with a zen garden, shiny floors and a pub nearby is worth any kind of rent. Besides, on the Internet it is funny money anyhow. I'll just write out a check from my virtual millions.

Thanks for popping in Ellis, will have to check out Ottawa in a few weeks unless you have some specific suggestions.

Last edited by happy2bme; 03-19-2006 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:59 PM   #15  

Hey happy,
Cyclone Larry has crossed the coast at a place called Innisfail in the far north of Queensland. Cairns, Innisfail, Townsville and many small coastal villages will be affected - some quite badly. It will probably also badly affect the sugar crop.

It's about 2400km (1500 miles near enough) north of Wollongong and about 1400K north of Brisbane. Spare a thought and maybe a prayer or two for those in that area who will be flooded, damaged, maybe even injured. There is a lot of old buildings and places up there and big old trees. If the cyclone is as severe as they were predicting this morning, then there will be a lot of problems up there.