Circle of Friends

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • HI Guys ,
    How has everyone been doing? I am starting a new diet plan that is custom made-I came up with it myself . I decided to eat some kind of whole grain cereal for breakfast (like oatmeal) with a piece of fruit and include a serving of dairy at each meal. Then for lunch, a frozen dinner, since I have enough of those in the freezer to put in my will for my children and a salad. For supper, a salad or fruit, 2 cups of other vegetables and then a small portion of whatever I'm making for supper. I did some once a month cooking the past 2 months and my big freezer is full of non diet, but really good, food. I am not willing to toss it out, so decided I better learn to live in the real world. I have eaten this kind of food since I was a child and I am probably always going to go back to it. I might as well learn to make peace with it and just figure out what a portion size is and how to eat it without pigging out. Oh, I'm also exercising again. I start with Body Flex, just to get my lungs going and because my chin seems to want to be part of my chest these days and then struggle through a mile of Walk Away the Pounds with Leslie. It is a struggle too, I'm just so out of shape.
    Speaking of that, I better go pop in a tape and get to that. Hope you guys are doing ok, TTYL, Nikki
  • Hi Everyone:
    I know what you mean about the chins Nikki I have been noticing my own
    face looking longer these days.
    Have you guys ever hear of Gold Standard Protein Powder? I was wondering
    if I should buy it. I thought maybe I could eat Breakfast, Lunch and have
    a shake for lunch????? I really have to do something. The commercial I keep hearing on the radio makes it shound great. The price on the web is out of this world though. I really wonder if its any different from the old Metrical that use to be around in the 60's and 70's. I always hear eating at night isn't the greatest, yet that is when I really feel like chowing down. I know a big part of my problem is the stress this lady puts me under. She is one
    Ali, we are suppose to get about 4-5 inches.
    Talk to you guys later.
    Anne.
  • Hi guys,

I too am hoping to get back on track again. I have started counting calories, points, you name it, but never seem to last more than a meal or two. I need some.. I've decided to eat my normal breakfast, which is a whole grain cereal, fruit, & FF milk, have a diet frozen meal for lunch, then a regular supper, just watching portion sizes, and I've decided not to eat it after supper if I'm not hungry. Lacee and I are walking just about everyday. It's not a long walk, about 25 min., but that's about all she can take. I haven't the heart to leave her home.

Anne, it sounds like Sat. will be a good day to curl up with a good book. I have never heard of that protein powder. It's a shame you can't buy just a sample to see if it works. I remember Metrical, I was on it for about a week. If I remember correctly, it didn't taste very good.

Nikki, it sounds like you've got a good plan in mind. Yes, we do have to make peace with food. I read somewhere to think of food as fuel and not pleasure. How is the exercising coming along?

Have a great day.
    Ali
  • HI Again,
    Anne, I've never heard of that powder either. I've never been able to stay on any diet drink diet for any length of time, have you? I just can't stick with it. Now, if they really did taste like a chocolate milk shake, then maybe I could do that easier. Still, day after day of drinking that would get old too. But, I do know some people that have been able to do it.
    I eat a lot at night too. I stay up so late, waiting for the old man to go to work. By 11pm, I'm starving, so I try to at least eat something that is nutritious and light.
    Ali, it's going to be nice here today, in the upper 40's. In fact, we are going to have a few days like this. I've got spring fever real bad and can't wait to get out in the garden and plant something. I think I will go out and at least clear off some of the old dead plants. Maybe I can get a small area ready and plant some lettuce and spinach next month.
    TTYL, Nikki
    OH, forgot to mention, I read that in a month or so, Walmart is going to start selling their own brand of Splenda. It will be a lot cheaper than Splenda. Just in case anybody uses it.
  • Nikki,
    Thanks for the heads up about Walmart selling its own brand of Splenda. I use Splenda all the time. A throw back from my SSize days.
    TTYL,
    Ali
  • Good Morning Everone:
    I will have to check out our Walmart for the new Splenda Nikki, thanks for the heads up Speaking of body flex, have you guys noticed Greer is back
    on TV with commericals. I also see here very often on our Shopping
    Channel. I will say this, I felt one heck of alot better when I was doing
    Body Flex and managing my weight better. I am so stiff in the morning
    you would not beleive it. Its the weight of this gut straining my back
    Night eating is like a pacifier effect the more you eat the more pacified
    you are until you begin feeling these physical symptoms.
    I need more and less
    How are you guys today?
    Anne.
  • Hi Guys ,
    Anne, the biggest problem I have with BF is I get bored so quickly. The other day, I did the old version, where you get on the floor. It was a lot harder than the one in the chair, I should do that more often. Greer isn't on our shopping channel anymore and I've not seen any infomercials with her either. The shopping channel here has all her cd's and exercise stuff on sale, really cheap too.
    That Walmart Splenda won't be out for at least a month, but it is suppose to be so much cheaper.
    I just finished shopping at Walmart and saw that Paul Newman now has organic oranges and lemons. They were a little more expensive than the other citrus, but when I picked up the bag of oranges in my cart to see how much they weighed, I realized that a few had mold on them. So, I ended up getting the PN oranges as they looked fresher.
    Well, better run, ttyl, Nikki
  • Hi!

Our internet service was down this morning. DH called our internet provider and we were the only ones without service. They sent a tech out and he replaced our old modem with a new one. We're up and running again and hopefully no more problems.

I really should start doing the BF again, even if I just do the gym bar. At least that way I'm doing some strength training.

Nikki, that's great Walmart has PN has some organic fruit. I'm buying free range beef now that I read what the meat industry is putting in our meat to keep it pink. I was making pasta last night for supper and I was going to use a store brand pasta sauce that I've in the pantry for a long time. I saw High Fructose Corn Syrup in it, so I put it right back. I'll be throwing it out because I will not be using it at all.

Anne, like Nikki mentioned, Greer hasn't been on TV for a long time. I'm wondering if that controversy hurt her and her come back wasn't as big as she thought it would be. Once the weather gets better for you, you can get out and do some walking. That's one thing I like about living down here, I can walk anytime. In the summer when it's beastly hot, you go out in the coolness of early morning. I've been taking Lacee out just about every morning. She loves it so much that it keeps me motivated.

Take care and have a great evening.
    Ali
  • Happy Saturday Everyone!!!
    I am always so releived once I get out of work I was alseep by
    7:30 I was just so done in.
    Took Toby out this morning and we have a few inches of snow that has
    fallen overnight!!!
    Nikki: I have been eating oranges and grapefruits like crazy lately. I went
    years without eating citrus, now I can't get enough. I wonder if you crave
    an item when the body needs specific nutrients?
    Ali, glad you got your computer fixed. Where would we be without are
    PC's!!!!
    Have you guys heard the new Barry Manilow record? I heard him singing
    Love is a many splendard thing on Martha a few days ago. I know its been released in the States earlier this month for Valentines Day. It is being released here on Tuesday and I am going to buy it. Just love 50's music.
    Walk the line is coming out this week too on DVD. I have been waiting for
    that one!!
    Have a really great Saturday. Talk to you later.
    Anne.
  • Morning Ladies,
    Anne, I am craving citrus too. I do think it's because we need something that we crave stuff. Last night, I ate 2 oranges, but the organic oranges are on the small side. The lemons he was selling were gigantic though.
    I don't follow Barry Manilow, but I don't really keep up with any music anymore. I was so glad when the girls moved out and I could hear silence, that I never listened to music again, unless Marty turns it on.
    He wanted to see Walk the Line. We are going to the big city today and will stop to see a movie if there is anything playing that looks good. I was hoping this was still playing, but haven't checked what is. We go don't go to the movies but once or so a year.
    Ali, I'm glad your internet is back up. I'm so use to having this thing to use, I am lost when it's not working right.
    Yesterday was a bust for me as far as eating goes. DH started his 3 days off and we overindulged in eating and drinking beer. The weather was so great, it was sunny and 63. Today, it's turned cold though.
    TTYL, Nikki
  • Hi guys,
    We are having a beautiful day here and we've got the house wide open. There is such a wonderful breeze blowing through. I started out in a pair of jeans, but put on a pair of shorts later on.

Anne, I really think that when we crave something, it's what our body needs at the time. How does Toby like the snow? I haven't seen the new Barry Manilow CD yet. I like his music. A couple of CDs that I have are Rod Stewart singing old fashion romantic songs. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of them. I saw an ad on TV for Michael Buble (?) I think that's his name. OMG, is he ever good. I'm going to look for some of his CDs. I honestly don't listen to music very much, but I do like to turn it on when I'm preparing a meal or cleaning up the kitchen.

Nikki, I like peace and quiet too. My MIL has to have the TV on all the time. Whenever we would visit them in FL I would drive me crazy. I would like to see I Walk the Line too. Hope you get to see it. If you do see it, let me know how it is. Thanks. I looked at what is playing at the movies while my GF is here, but nothing good is playing. She & I used to go to the movies a lot before I moved.
    I hear you about the eating. My eating is off whenever DH has the day off. Glad that the weather is starting to get warm again for you. Enjoy the warmer temps.

Have a great Sat.
    Ali
  • Hi Guys Sunday Already!
    When I took Toby out this mornng he wanted to sniff every square inch of
    snow.
    My brother is coming by at 7am this morning to take my mom, my sister and
    me to the cemetary. He has been doing this every couple of months or so
    because my mother likes going. Its amazing , this huge cemetary and my
    dad and grandparents *moms parents....are in the same lot. This was
    totally a fluke. So she visits my dads grave, walks over visits her parents,
    walks back to my dads again and we leave. We are only there for about
    15 minutes total. I just hate driving through those huge iron gates and going down that long winding road, my stomach sinks every time. but..... If it brings her comfort I'll keep making the sacrifice. She would be really upset
    if I didn't go.
    Ali, you should look up that Barry Manilow CD on Amazon. You can listen to
    a few of the numbers. He sings unchained melody, I absolutely love that one
    by the Righteous Brothers. My mom loves those Rod Stewart Albums you are
    talking about too. She'll love this new CD, I'm buying it on Tues.
    I am pretty diverse in my musical tastes, love Stones, Who, etc. but I still
    love the oldies and listen to them often. I even like some Madonna and
    and Country Hits too. My DH listens to Tom Waits. This guy sounds like a
    croking lounge lizard. I don't know exactly why he likes this guy, but every
    Saturday he drags out this guys CD's.
    Hi Nikki, how are you? How Sugar doing these days?
    Talk to you guys later.
    Anne.
  • Morning Everyone,
    We went and got some building supplies yesterday. Most of the windows (at least we ordered them) and then front and back door. The doors I wanted won't fit our opening, so I ended up getting my second chose. But, I'm far from disappointed. When we got home, the first thing I saw was our old, broken up doors and I will be glad to have any thing to replace them. They are so bad, they are actually disintergrating where they stand.
    Ali, we didn't see a movie. First we went to Menards, then Home Depot, then Menards again, then back to Home Depot . In between, we had lunch at Old Country Buffet. It was still breakfast time and I really went overboard with what I ate . It was good though.
    We decided to build a screened in porch out front rather than extend the house out. It will cost less and we can finish it much faster. I don't mind remodeling the house for another 5 years, I don't want to do it for 10 though. I would like to just enjoy being comfortable rather than just dreaming about it. We are going to make it so it's almost a four season room, by putting up plexiglass over the screens in the winter time. Since it faces south, that should bring in a lot of solar heat and make it fairly decent out there on nice days anyway. I told Marty I don't care if the house stays the same size, I've lived here for over 15 years like this and it's been fine. We survived it with 2 teenage girls, I think we can handle it with 3 cats. We both figure the cats will go wild over having a screened in porch to lounge in all day. I plan on putting the treadmill, exercise bike and gazelle out there, plus have one end with a couple of lounge chairs and small table. It will be 11x24, so will be big enough for that I think. Exercising out there will be much more fun. In the winter, it should be fairly cool and in the summer, nice and breezy.
    Sugar is a terror. She is still dealing with some intestinal issues. She bullys the other cats something awful. I was planning on tossing her outside when it warmed up, but the other day, she saw Tony (the outdoor cat) through the basement window. She went completely nuts . I don't know if she would survive him, as he won't take what the inside cats are. In some ways, she is getting a little bit better, so we're hoping she will out grow some of this really bad behavior. I would like to say that she doesn't potty on the floor anymore, as she went an entire month without doing it, but last week, she did go once on the floor. I'm glad I'm going to replace all the carpet. By the time we get to remodeling the interior, she will either have to have improved a lot, go outside or find a new home.
    Anne, I have mixed fillings about going to the cemetary. I don't go very often, maybe every other year. I never really know what to do there, cause I don't believe my parents are there. I mean, I know their bodies are there, but they are not. I do believe they're in heaven, so going to the cemetary is not important to me. The girls like to go on Memorial Day though, so I do try to go when their schedules let them. Since it's an hour from here, we don't get there very often. We ususally drive around our hometown and see the old house, visit a few places I use to take them when they were babies and then have lunch. It makes for a nice, nostolgic day out.
    Hope you are having a nice weekend. I am going to make some bread today. I've been making all our bread lately. Today, I'm making 4 loaves (just as easy as making 1) and then freeze 3 for later. I found that it tastes just as good as fresh.
    TTYL, Nikki
  • Good morning,
    It's raining this morning and we had some real gusty winds come through. Haven't seen a weather forecast, so don't know when it's supposed to clear up.

Anne, I used to visit the cemetary where my parents are buried and put flowers up on Mother's Day, Father's Day, and their birthdays. I really feel awful that I'm down in FL and there is nobody to put flowers on their graves anymore. Thank you for telling me about being able to listen to a few of Barry Manilow's songs on Amazon. I do have one of his CDs, but for the life of me can't remember what it's called. I've seen the play Mama Mia quite a few times and seem to play that CD quite a lot. I love the music.

Nikki, it sounds like you had a very productive and busy day yesterday getting your doors. Glad that you found something that you like. I bet you can't wait to get started. The porch you want to build sounds awesome. Being on the south side of your house will be great because it will be so warm in there during the winter months, especially if you're having a mild winter. You could possibly enjoy it year round. I think Sugar will get better as she gets older, she'll quiet down some.

Hope you're enjoying your Sun.
    Ali
  • Hi
    Yesterday, I spent most of the day baking. I experimented with one loaf and made it 1/2 wheat and 1/2 white. It turned out ugly, but was very good. Next time, I'll try all wheat. I used honey instead of sugar. I'm not sure if you can use splenda or not, since the yeast needs sugar I think. I'm going to have to visit the splenda site and see what they say.
    I also made some deviled eggs. I got a good deal on 2 1/2 dozen eggs and now have to use them up.
    It's getting so much nicer here. They said this coming week, it will be in the upper 50's and low 60's. I plan on getting out in the yard and cleaning off some flower beds and gardens. Crystal has several beds that need cleaned too, so I told her I'd come over and help her with that.
    I hope Sugar gets better, but I doubt it, as it seems to be her personality. When she sees any of the cats sitting in a place she wants, she will jump on them, and keeps attacking until they run off. Then she sits down in the spot. Very rude kitten and such a bully. The other cats are so sweet compared to her.
    Well, better get a shower and get my day going , have a good one, Nikki