Old 01-05-2006, 04:01 PM   #16  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Default Eating at School

Miggles: I like your avatar

About me: I work at an Elementry school. I have extra dorm duties in the morning so I get there bright and early. Consequently that means I eat breakfast in the cafeteria as well as lunch. Then they have snacks provided and I eat 1,2, or 3 of those. THEN 1/4 of the lessons involve food or food rewards. Working to lose weight during the winter break was easy, but when I go back next week...that's when I have no strategy yet.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 04:31 PM   #17  
Not so starving artist

Hey! Thanks! I always thought the avatar was hallarious. I used to have a Pen and Teller book called Play with your Food, and it reminded me of the things in there!

Ewwww dorm duties! lol! That sounds sucky! Especially in the morning! I guess one thing you can do with your plan is try and choose healthy options for meals and snacks! What kind of food does the caffeteria serve? If they have fruit salad, those are always a good choice.. For snacks and stuff too, you can try something light to snack on, or something that you know fills you up! Popcorn is pretty good that way - if you're not really that hungry but are just craving, its puffed air! Woo! And you can actually get quite full if you eat the right fruits - bananas seem to fill you up really fast! Another thing you could do is try drinking water or tea instead of juice - which also keeps you feeling full if you drink enough! And rice cakes... I love em! *laughs* again they're like fluff but you can get them in a bunch of flavours now that really pack a punch (i like the dill pickle ones, or the cheese ones that arnt so potent ) Basically all the snacks i carry around fit inside zip lock bags, which are really handy. I dunno how big your school is, but i guess if you need the washroom, try and go to the farthest one! Hopefully it'll be the cleanest one too If i really need a sugar fix i'll go for a really decaident yogurt. Good. So good. I love the Le Creme ones.. they're so desserty! YAY! you might have heard me swear by tupperware before, and i also find its so much easier for me pack a lunch right before i go to bed, or when i come home for the next daym rather than in the morning. What i pack is almost always healthier than what i could get around school anyway :P. Anyways those are just a couple ideas for snacks and stuff that are pretty easy and help curb cravings for me :P I hope some of the ideas are worth while for you! And welcome to the club! (Ps. if you like jello, jello with fruit in it is also good. I dont like jello. *chuckles* worth a shot though!) If there's any particular area you dont know what to do with, feel free to chime in and ask for ideas!
Miggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 07:42 PM   #18  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miggles
Ewwww dorm duties! lol! That sounds sucky! Especially in the morning!

What kind of food does the caffeteria serve?
Dorm duty isn't bad. It's the easiest time of the day and because I elected for dorm duty, I get to leave at 3pm instead of staying later for after school duty. Which means I get home 1 1/2 hours before my husband does (and he picks up the baby from daycare). It's a nice time. I have 2 other kids that come home on the bus though. So not all cakes and candy.

My main problem with be with breakfast. Lunch they have salads everyday. It's not very imaginative and gets old. On the plus side, I bring my own dressing. It's the snack times (I'll have to learn to bring my own) and food lessons that'll get me.

Incidentally I do like jello. So much that when they serve it as a snack and add whipped cream on the top (which makes it WAYYYYYYYYYY better), I found myself eating 5-6 cups. I'm not lying. I looked at my coworker and said, keep it a secret. LOL.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:55 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 305/305/120

Hey all, just wanted to see if everyone is ready to begin or continue once school starts in a few days for some of us. I'm really ready. I've got almost a week worth of changes in so I know it will be a little better. I plan on writing up my schedule with classes and times that I would like to study (because quit procrastinating is another resolution for me!) and plan to work my meals and snacks around my school schedule. I'm also going to write up my meal plan for a week and shop for what I need. That way I know in advance what I'm going to eat and such. I'm ready to do well this time around, I hope all of you are too!
FreshStart06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 09:15 PM   #20  
Not so starving artist

Woo! So ready. *laughs* Im gonna kick school's butt! I planned out my lunches for the week too (other meals im gonna scrape through - they're not as bad as the lunches) so tomorrow im gonna go out, shopping list in hand! After that, i get to go pick up mah boyfriend from the airport at 11 pm. Ugh. It could be worse - i could be as jet lagged as him! (he's coming in from France, after a 24 hour flight because of a stop over, and so he'll probably end up sleeping on me in the taxi :P) But Yea! Then on sunday i start my Yoga class! Woot! 25 people in it - which is bigger than my class at school. Im excited though! Im borrowing my sister's mat, because i dont have my own yet. And im gonna make me some banana bread! I plan on taking it in my lunch throughout the week. For snacks this week, Im going to have things like clementine oranges (which rock right now), super delux yummy yogurts, kiwis, frozen raspberries, popcorn, banana bread, and red peppers... I do mostly snacking, but for main meals im gonna do some soups, pasta and tomato sauce, pita and humus (Booyeah!), some really easy to make chicken breast with lemon olive oil and oregano, and maybe a sandwich! I think i'm going to allow myself to eat out once a week - and thats probably going to be on mondays because i have a stupidly long gap between classes in the evening. With any luck that'll be the day me and my lovely french man can do lunch! We usually try and do that once a week. Ive been drinking lots of water lately, and i noticed my skin is looking spiffy!!! I also dried the crap out of my stress related break out salt water, which works amazingly well. i might add it to my weekly feel-good-to-do-list! *laughs* i highly reccomend pampering yourself when you do well with food! Its deffinatly better than food rewards, and it just makes me feel so ready to face the world and say "WOOT!".. Although maybe not quite that literally. Anyways i hope everyone is getting reved up! Im ok! Ive been eating way too much chocolate tonight. Good luck girls! Let the losing begin!
Old 01-06-2006, 10:31 PM   #21  

Default class size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miggles
Then on sunday i start my Yoga class! Woot! 25 people in it - which is bigger than my class at school.

I just graduated with my B.A. At my university some classes were as small as 30, but a lot of the core classes had 500 students in the same class.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:35 AM   #22  

You sound like you're ready miggles, though I think you don't want to be, but who does?? I know I wasn't ready to start, but it's just something we have to do. Your menu sounds really great. That's my biggest problem is thinking of something different to eat. I was watching QVC tonight, and they had the nutrisystem program on there. I was seriously considering getting it to try it out because it would help with just coming home from school and such, but I decided against it. I need to learn how to make changes for life, and I know I won't be eating those meals for life, so I better learn to cook and find a different solution. Plus, they were expensive, and I heard mix reviews. I rather just grab a few frozen meals at the store. Anyways, my best friend, who also has weight to lose, messed up on her diet today. I know I should concern myself with my weight loss first and foremost, but I'm just really sad about it. She's like my sister, and she knows everything that I'm struggling with because she's been there too. I want her to succeed too. We live together, and I know if she's off plan, that will be very tempting for me to just say well I'll get off plan, and we can start together again once we get everything in order. I've said this millions of times, and I don't want to go back there again. I'm still doing good right now, eating right and working my butt off. I just need to plan, and make room for something I really want when I want it. I use to beat myself up if I have something that isn't diety, but I know now that it's just one meal out of the thousands of meals I will have in my lifetime. I should enjoy something without going overboard and move on and that's what I plan to do. Okay, I'm rambling, good luck to all of you on Monday!!
Old 01-07-2006, 08:04 PM   #23  
Not so starving artist

WOooo! I baked! and it didnt even catch on fire! *laughs* although i did keep baking soda on hand just in case. But yea! I think i've created banana bread! Its bland.. and rather moist. But i think its edible! Lets hope so. I so dont feel like eating because in excited, and nervous about picking mah man up at the airport (i have no car, and i HATE being late. Especially at airports. lol!) But yea.. i ate some pasta that was as bland as my banana bread. But that made my pineapple taste really good! *chuckles* Ah well.

And Freshstart - that's awesome you're living with someone you can support and who can support you! In my household i get mocked for just about everything i do! I get mocked if i get exercise. I get mocked if i dont exercise 0_o Its.. annoying! *laughs* And im sure you two could go shopping for food together and get all sorts of healthy stuff - geez.. if you could take turns cooking that would be even more convenient! Anyways good luck to both of you!! Im sure you'll do great. And if anyone falls off? No biggie! Try again the next day, or week!

WOOOo banana bread!
Old 01-07-2006, 09:10 PM   #24  

Hey Miggles, happy to see you cooking. I plan to start cooking, I picked a few recipes out of my book, so I can start Monday. I really pumped this time around. I've managed to go a whole week of lifestyle changes. Tomorrow is weigh in day, so everyone keep your fingers crosses for me.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:53 AM   #25  
Not so starving artist

So i went to my first yoga class yesterday and it was pretty nice! It was verrry relaxing.. lol it was so hard to move after! So i went over to my boyfriend's house and we napped! *chuckles* Poor guy is really jet lagged.. they lost his luggage, and after 24 hours of travelling, that just.. sucks! He was't really upset though, which was good! So his suitcase arrived last night at 12:30 after we were asleep. Diet - Not going so well :P We went for brunch yesterday and both had milkshakes with our meal.. *laughs* Ah well.. its not going to be a regular thing. Today im feeling kind of sick so its chicken noodle soup (which was on my menu anyways!). I reaaaally hope a diet change will help my skin because good grief! Im having a breakout like you would not beleive! It doesnt look bad. Its just painful to sleep on one side! >.< GAH! I still havnt done my shopping yet but hopefully after lunch i'll get out and get it over with! Its so cold though -_- Alright! time for another nap! I hope everyone else does well on day 1! So far so good, but its too early to say!
Old 01-09-2006, 01:17 PM   #26  

So far so good today, I had class. I'm so not ready to be back at school. Oh well, I'll at least have something to do so I'm not hungry as much. I worked out this morning, I ate cereal for bf. I had a lean cuisine and an apple for lunch. I plan to workout again today too. I'm still thinking about what I'm going to make for dinner. I'll keep you guys posted. Keep it up everyone, we will succeed!!!!
Old 01-09-2006, 11:25 PM   #27  
Not so starving artist

Alright! Day one. Not bad. I had some toast and jam this morning, a glass of orange juice, and then i went to my own house and slept some more! *laughs* rough night. I kept waking up from weird dreams... when i got home my dad had made a pork roast, so i ate about the equivelant of a pork chop, half a sweet potato, and a couple carrots... Then some oreos :P 3! They were so tastey! Then some almonds later in the day, three clementines,a slice of banana bread and two bowls of chicken noodle soup! Its 11 pm, and i got home half an hour ago. Im sleepy. And mildly hungry :P Im really tempted to visit the oreos again. *laughs* but ive been pretty good about the rest of the day! Spent no money! Also found a toonie! WOo! free money! Exercise wise, i walked about half an hour today - 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes this evening. Thats probably going to be a regular thing - because I usually beat the bus! I also jogged up and down the stairs 5 times - just because.. i can :P And now i think im going to bed!! Im so zonked.. Tootles for now! I look forward to reading how everyone else is doing!
Old 01-10-2006, 05:10 PM   #28  

Hey all, hope all is well. I got a little stressed out today with school being back in session. I'm just not ready to be back, and adding in a new healthy lifestyle is extra stress. I honestly feel like giving up, pigging out, and starting over next week or something. I weighed myself and nothing lost. I weighed myself Sunday, and I just felt like something should be gone. I know, I shouldn't have because that just made me feel even worse. Though I want to quit, its just a voice in my head that says don't. Don't let this year go by too. I know I can't stop, even though I really want to. Ok, sorry for venting; hope you're all doing good.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:25 PM   #29  

Default Birthdays

I packed stuff today and was prepared. I knew that one of the kids had a birthday party and that meant goodies. I was in charge of buying donuts (our version of cake). I purposely bought donuts that I didn't like but all the kids do! Then when the mom came with cake (we bought donuts because we didn't think this mom was bringing anything), I declined!! I brought jello and an orange for snacks today. Then I had homemade chill for lunch and yogurt for breakfast. Did great.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:38 PM   #30  
Not so starving artist

*laughs* Good job girls! And FreshStart - dont let it get you down - sometimes when you change your diet it takes a week or two to show some changes, but its deffinatly a good start, even if you dont loose right away! Just keep going and you'll see results soon, and at least you'll feel better than doing nothing! Good luck!

And good job to you, being faced with birthday cake, and sticking to your guns! Woo!

I for one. Have already fallen off the wagon - but ONLY FOR TODAY! *laughs* My god. I hardly had time for breakfast this morning so i just had an english muffin and jam, and then i had a short (?) class, which i ended up staying after to finish some work. And Oh my. I was ravenous by the end! I called up my boyfriend, and we went out for sushi and i Soooooo ate more than i meant to. I hadn't had tempura (ie greasy deep fried veggies and shrimp!) for a long time so i had that, and much more. And then i had chocolate covered rasins this afternoon. *chuckles* OHhh man. And i havnt even had dinner yet.I still havnt had a chance to do shopping this week, and i doubt im going to get the time, so its going to be a harder week than i thought! Maybe my dad will go out in the next few days but i have no idea what im going to do for lunch tomorrow - theres nothing in the house, and its a short lunch anyways, so not enough time to go get something! AGH! Now i remember why i started this group! *laughs* i need help!

P.s. Eating out is waaaaaaaaaay too convenient. But i havnt been seduced by the vending machine yet!