Old 01-02-2006, 07:38 PM   #16  

It is sad to say that I don't pay attention to that... I try to go by the time. What I used to do is... I would set a goal of say... 200 calories to burn in a session... IF I got to that... I would try to increase my cals burned.

A question... On your treadmill... Do you input you gender, age, weight, etc? There are a lot of variables that go into the calculation. I would just use it as a "guidleine" to go by... I wouldn't kill over the calorie count...

Hope that helped!!!

Hey... 2 pounds gone at TOPS... WOO HOO!!! On a roll (to lose rolls)..lol
Deanna7272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 07:41 PM   #17  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICANCHANGE
Well, I need the water challenge so creative or not, it's a good one!

I am a stay at home mom right now and try to exercise at home but was not good about this during the holidays. I would prefer to go to the gym but it is hard to schedule with the kids so I do it at home.

Am I on your email list?

Cat
Glad I could help on that challenge there...lol I thought it was terrible to have the first but, I think it went well...lol

I think you are.... cattyjun?
Deanna7272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 08:13 PM   #18  
Fig

Hi Girls... It's good to hear from all of you and to meet you. I like the challenge--I'm big on drinking water, always have been. I take a bottle with me whenever I go anywhere. I live alone and have no children. I'm retired--I'm a good bit older than all of you (I'm 59). I do volunteer work at our zoo and will be starting class there to become a Docent. (that's an educator). Did I mention that I'm a vegetarian? You might think I'd have no problems with my weight, but even vegs can overeat and stuff the carbs! I need to lose 25 pounds. A few years ago I weighed 210. I got down to 120, but over the last year and 1/2 put on 20+ pounds. (comfort eating). It WILL go!!! I don't exercise very much, but will work on that. Marion
Fig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 08:52 PM   #19  

Thumbs up

GOOD challenge Deanna! I have noticed I have been lacking in the "water department." LOL! I think it was due to me being sick. But I am almost 100% better so I will make sure I get that extra water in!

Deanna-The anwsers to your 3 questions are; NO, YES, YES!! I will get the members names out to you in an e-mail as soon as I get done eating dinner. You can be the "Official weight-tracker."

Marion- I used to be a vegie eater and was still gaining weight so I do understand the "eating of the carbs" ritual. I always seemed to eat more carbs when I took meat out of the picture...It was like a replacement to fill me up. You can still lose the weight though...I did. Don't worry though, we'll help you out.

Cat- Yes you're on the email listing...did you not recieve an email??? Let me know. Then PM me your addy again.

Okay, I got to go eat. chat later!!

emerald dragonfly
emerald dragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:06 PM   #20  
dgpebbles

Good challenge for me too...I hate water and have been struggling..I've been drinking only 40oz daily...

I will be getting my exercise bike on thursday...I will let you know what mine says about calories burned...

I work standing up all day so i get alot of walking around...i exercise at home when I can motivate myself LOL...Hope the bike will help me..
dgpebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 04:15 AM   #21  

I am a vegetarian as well and a carbaholic!

Emerald...I did get your email just wasn't sure that Deanne had it but she does. Not enough calories to the brain or something but I didn't make the connection between your list and hers....

Cat
ICANCHANGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:32 AM   #22  
dgpebbles

Well i managed to get down 60oz of water yesterday...How did everyone else do? I hate water is there anything that you can add to it to make it taste better or is it ok to drink flavored water or crystal light in place of it?
Got to get ready for work...Talk to you all later.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:37 AM   #23  
WileyB

Default I'm new here - I think

Hey ya'll! If there is room for me here with ya'll, I would love to join you. You all sound like a great bunch of girls who are dedicated. That's what I need. I am going to try to join you in this water challenge thing. I really don't like water unless it is summertime, so I have trouble getting it all in during these cooler monthes. I need to lose a lot of this "baby fat" that has been hanging around for the last 10 years! Does anyone have a suggestion for helping the stomach area besides sit ups? I've had 3 c-sections, and that lump of fat just keeps wanting to hang around - literally! If I could remove that, I do believe I could go down 3 sizes in jeans automatically! Hope everyone has a wonderful, water filled week!
WileyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:34 PM   #24  

DGPEBBLES - I put a little lime juice or pomegranate juice in my water. It gives it a little flavor with barely any calories. It helps me to get my water in. I also drink decaf green tea. My understand is this is a good option because green tea has lots of antioxidants, its hydrating because it is decaf and no calories.

WILEY.....Welcome but were you talking about my tummy... I wish you wouldn't talk about my tummy like that..... ! Just teasing...but when I read that it could have been me writing it. That c-section roll is very weird it really bugs me. I had two c-sections. All that and I don't know how to get rid of it. I have read that it may never really go away...sigh.

I have been a good water drinker the last two days but boy is it hard running around to lessons with the kids when you have to go to the bathroom constantly.

I don't think this has been asked really of this group but:

What diet plan are you all using if any?

So, how is everyone doing?

Cat
Old 01-03-2006, 08:23 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 319/307/145

Height: 5'8"

Hiya Cat! I'm not doing a diet plan but doing the
healthy thing - watching what I'm eating and exercising.
Every diet plan I've done hasn't worked for me in the end -
I figured that doing it my own way is the best bet for me.

Hello again,
WileyB! So glad you are joining us. This is gonna
be fun and I'm sure all of us will become really good friends
because of Gloria's Group!

Hiya
Gloria! How are ya doing?

dgpebbles, I'm so sorry you don't like water - that makes it
so very hard. Like I said, I'm so lucky I love water ~ now if
only I could love exercising... hmmmmmmm....

ICANCHANGE - Carboholic is my middle name. I like bread a
wee bit too much! I swear I have yeast running through my
veins - that's why my body rises (with fat) when I eat bread!

Welcome
fig! This is a great group already - good choice!
You do volunteer work at your zoo?? That is really awesome!
What kinda things do you do there?

Softykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 09:33 PM   #26  
dgpebbles

ICANCHANGE -Thanks for the water tips but I do have a question...Does drinking green tea count as your water intake for the day...I always thought it had to be straight water and that stuff like tea and crystal light etc didn't count as water intake...

Kristy - I'm with you on the exercising---I need someone to push me to get me going...I just can't get motivated right now but I know that once I get started I'll feel so much better..

welcome fig and wileyb

I think we all have the belly problem...but we are all going to get rid of that belly
Old 01-03-2006, 11:43 PM   #27  

My understanding is that decaf tea is equally hydrating as water and counts as water. If it weren't decaf it would be dehydrating.

Crystal Light does has artifical flavors and sweetners so it isn't as "pure" as drinking water. If you are doing it for weightloss it can be counted towards water but if you are doing it for health it cannot.

Think about it this way:

The point is to get 64-80 oz of water per day. If you drank all that water and put a sugar free lifesaver in your mouth afterward you wouldn't think you couldn't count the water right? So, if you mix something in with your water you are still drinking that much water, right?

The whole point is to keep you hydrated and full.

Soda is a different story. Plus, recent studies have found that drinking diet soda with meals actually allows people to eat more and is bad for dieters.

That's my two cents.

Cat
Old 01-04-2006, 09:02 AM   #28  
WileyB

Default Thanks for the welcome!

Thank you all for welcoming me to the group. CAT - in reply to your question, I am trying to do the points thing with WW. It really helps me to read labels and see just how "good" or "bad" a food is. It takes me a while, but I make myself a "cookbook" of recipes and points. I only put things in it that I really like to eat, and this seems to work well for me. I had a really good one going, and lost it somehow, so now I've got to start another one.

I have a little to say about water. First, I have to have it cold, so I put bottles in the freezer to get a little ice in them. I learned at a group one time a formula for drinking water per your weight. When I did it in relation to my weight, I found out that I was supposed to be drinking 11 glasses of water a day instead of 8! Boy was that a surprise. If anyone knows what I am talking about - let me know. I can't remember how it goes, or the real benefits of doing so.
WileyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 02:42 PM   #29  

I found this:

Quote:
How Much Water do we Need to Drink?

A good rule of thumb is to take your body weight in pounds and divide that number in half. That gives you the number of ounces of water per day that you need to drink. For example, if you weigh 160 pounds, you should drink at least 80 ounces of water per day. If you exercise you should drink another 8 ounce glass of water for every 20 minutes you are active. If you drink coffee or alcohol, you should drink at least an equal amount of water. When you are traveling on an airplane, it is good to drink 8 ounces of water for every hour you are on board the plane. If you live in an arid climate, you should add another 2 servings per day. As you can see, your daily need for water can add up to quite a lot.
from http://nutrition.about.com/od/hydrat...terarticle.htm

And here is a bit about water at CNN (online):
http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/NU/00283.html

Old 01-04-2006, 03:04 PM   #30  

Hmm... according to that quote above, I would have to
drink 145 oz's of water daily.... that seems like quite a lot.

8 glasses of water is 64 oz's. 16 cups of water = 128 oz's

So that means, according to their rule, I am supposed to
be drinking 18 cups of water. That's 4 ½ litres! Ahhh!
How am I going to drink that?!?!