Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 11:43 AM   #106  

Height: 5'1"

Good morning everyone, and YEAH!!!! for all of you that lost weight! We're on our way to better health and to looking better too! I haven't worked out today but I will do my 40 min walk on the treadmill later. I'm still at 3.2 mile per hour but i'm working on the time and the speed. today is my weight day too, but I lift weights while I watch TV. I really don't mind exercise, kind of enjoy it, but walking on the treadmill and lifting weight is BORING! TV helps pass the time.

My therapist "fired" me yesterday. She just told me that she had tried everything that she could think of and nothing was helping (bad back). Luckly I had a Dr. appointment afterwards and he is sending me in for epidural steroids. Not looking forward to it, but right now it's a necessity.

I took my grandson to school this morning and went shopping afterwards. I just went to a few stores but I make it a habit of parking as far away froml the store as possible, so i've already walked some today. Take advantage of outing to get in a few extra steps.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:00 PM   #107  

Default Hi Beth!

Great to have you on board with us! This is a wonderful thread; I haven't read one negative comment on here!

To answer your question, the DASH diet stands for: "Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension"; in other words it's a diet for those with high blood pressure. Basically, it is just eating the way we know we're supposed to, high fiber, low fat, wholes grains, veggies, fruit, dairy, lean meat, etc.

You can easily find the exact DASH diet plan if you do a search on the internet. I believe different organizations like the American Heart Association recommend it.

I find it hard to get in each day exactly the amount of servings I should get though of each group like vegetables and dairy. Usually no problem with the bread and meat group!
Old 01-10-2006, 05:32 PM   #108  
Cruise Queen

S/C/G: 167/163/145

Beth, I also want to Welcome you

I can totaly relate to you as I too am 4'11" Jan 2004 I weighed 195 and in the year of 2004 (the year I turned 50) I got down to a low of 138 which looked and felt pretty but slowly the weight started to creep back on. Most of this past year I stayed close to 148 which I was not happy with but was not disgusted enough to do a lot. Then I went on a cruise in October when I left I weighed 148 and when I got home I only weighed 150 whcih was not bad but because it was not bad I continued to eat, then Halloween came around the the year before I had been so good and those darn Butterfingers kept call my name Then their was my B-Day and Thanksgiving (all the same day ) and of course Christmas. The next thing I know I am weighing 166 on New Year's Day

Now we can all work at it together, what it takes is determination and I know with everyone's help WE CAN DO IT

So Hang in there Beth I know we will get that FAT off this year.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:08 PM   #109  

Hi Beth! Welcome!! Yes, indeed, this is a great thread, full of support and encouragement!

SlimMe, I think it's great that you're exercising so much, and the 3.2 speed will increase when you're ready! When I had a treadmill at home I had to have it set up near the TV. You're right...it does get boring! Now, at the gym, I bring a magazine and that makes the time go by very quickly. Keep up the great work!!
Old 01-10-2006, 06:48 PM   #110  

I say "welcome" too, Beth. I haven't counted but we've got a good sized group here and it is wonderful to check in and report to the others about how things are going. I first thought I'd have to check in every day but I'm not so sure ... it's just awfully great to know that you all are here (or there!) for me (and for everyone else).

I tend to get discouraged and start letting negative thoughts and habits take over ... and I don't respond well to "positive thinking". I need "realistic" thinking which is, for me, to stop letting little bumps in the road divert me from my goal and lead me down a path where I don't want to go.

Your brother is welcome to join in too if he wants ... or just join and read the comments. Whatever works ... and we all need something that works!

BLessings!
Old 01-10-2006, 06:49 PM   #111  

What happened? I changed my signature yesterday to post a 3 pound loss (of which I am VERY proud!) and today it is gone! I don't think I'll ever get the hang of this stuff. Maybe I'll just remove it ... it's more frustrating than it should be.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:52 PM   #112  

Hey Everyone,

This will be the fastest post ever, I have been out of town and have to run pick up my 13 year old from dance.

I am doing great on Sonoma!!! Could it just be the right plan for me??? Oh Happy Day!!!

Congrats to everyone for just being here for each other!! I love this board!!

Hugs and prayers,
Wanda
Old 01-10-2006, 08:35 PM   #113  
Cruise Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillygrace
What happened? I changed my signature yesterday to post a 3 pound loss (of which I am VERY proud!) and today it is gone! I don't think I'll ever get the hang of this stuff. Maybe I'll just remove it ... it's more frustrating than it should be.
lillygrace, the signature will only appear once per page, when it flips to the next page and you post you signature will reappear.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:37 PM   #114  
Cruise Queen

slim me , I don't know how tall you are but I am only 4'11" and have short legs so I tend to walk between 3.2 to 3.4 miles per hour. I also use the incline to about 2. When I was in better shape last year I would usually go 3.5 miles per hour and had the incline up to 4 but that may take me a few weeks to get there I would say 3.2 is just fine
Old 01-10-2006, 10:40 PM   #115  

Beth! You found a great bunch of chicks and one rooster to hang out with. I'm following WW also, and have my second weigh-in tomorrow. Lots of support and advise is offered on good and bad days.

Jill (gypsyladie) on your 5lb weight lost!!! I'm so happy for you.

I got up early and got my workout in with Richard Simmons. I almost made it through the whole workout. Maybe tomorrow I'll make it! It is getting eaiser each day I do it. I'm so proud of myself, I made it through the week without cheating. It's a first for me.

Have a good evening.

Cheryl
Old 01-10-2006, 11:23 PM   #116  
Cruise Queen

I thought I would make one final report for the day. I had another good day. No cheating. I had a cup of yogurt for breakfast with a tablespoon of wheat germ in it and a 1/2 cup of grapefruit juice. Then I had a WW TV dinner and some carrots. Lots of water, then tonight I had about 4 oz of roasted chicken and some green beans. Then I treated myself to a WW chocolate cake. One of those itty bitty chocolate cakes that are 1 point and I made mayself a cappacino that is about 70 calories. I have one of the Braun Tassimo coffee machines and I absolutely love it it makes the best lattes and cappacinos

After dinner this evening I walked 1.5 miles on my treadmill and had done 1 mile this morning. I really hope whne I wiegh Thursday morning the scale has really good news for me.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:40 PM   #117  

Lisa thanks for explaining that one signature per page thing...no wonder I can't get it to stay on sometimes...I've been going back and editing my post, then it disappears again!!

Sounds like you are doing really well on your eating plan; I love the WW chocolate cake!

May if you all keep talking about exercise I will get motivated to try it myself!

Gail
Old 01-11-2006, 01:47 AM   #118  

Hi Everybody. Yeayyyy, I found you. This is a wonderful and supportive thread, how friendly and warm you all seem.

I am another gal from CLF that Jill invited, I hope you let me stay! My name is Bunti and I hail from Juneau Alaska. Just turned 52 on January 2. I have about 80 pounds to lose, and like the rest of you, find that what used to be easier, isn't.

I am doing a combination of the Core Program from WW and the Body Clutter Menu mailer from Saving dinner dot com. And I started going to Curves more regularly. I feel so much better than I did one week ago that I can hardly believe it.

I almost think the indulges of the holiday season had much more noticably unpleasant side effects this year. Fatigue, swollen ankles, just a general feeling of ugh!! And I was FEROCIOUS!! No sugar cookie was safe in my presence. I seem to be a little more in control this week. As long as I stay away from white flour, corn-syrup and concentrated sugars I seem to keep the cravings at bay.

I am going to weigh next Monday. I hope I can figure out the weightloss tracker, they are so cool! Talk to you all tomorrow, or at least read about you. With the time difference I am probably on much later than everybody. Jill thanks for the invite.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:20 AM   #119  
takeitoff&Keepitoff

Welcome to all the new guys

After reading all the post on treadmill walking, I feel ashame of myself.
DH bought me a motorized treadmill 2 years ago, and it have been collecting dust along with my stationary bike.

Lisa, you're doing so good with the treadmill, I envy you. I just can't seem to do it, it is VERY BORING. I've tried to do it with music, books, and even put a small TV in my exercise room, to no avail. I believe it is the same repetitive movement which bores me.

I'm exercising with aerobic video workouts, I find the visual stimulation, and different movements easier to live with.

But this morning, after reading the posts, I biked 15mins and walked on the treadmill for 17 mins ~ wow, that must count for something! I'm planning to also do my 1 hr video later ~ well let's see what the day brings.......

Last edited by girlieyorkie; 02-05-2006 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:54 AM   #120  
Yellowsub

S/C/G: 79/71.6/54

Height: 157

Default Starting again

Hello
I am starting again.
Want to do it with me?
Not quite sure how but I am doing it anyhow.
People talk about fructose intolerance.
Is this common?
Does such a diet help anyone.
Very high protein to me and just allowed few veggies.
Starches are allowed though.
Thought I would minimalise them too.
Love
Yellowsub
Closed Thread