Anyone over 50 starting AGAIN?!?!?!

You're on Page 6 of 47
Go to
  • Hello Everyone
    I hope that you all had a great day. I went to Wally-World and parked at the end of the parking lot so that I would have to walk a little extra. I also went for a 2 mile walk with my husband. Such a pretty day out. I am having a little trouble with my knees. The Dr. said that I needed to do water aerobics, but just can't afford a membership to a club right now. If anyone else has had the same trouble would love to hear from you. I really do need my knees to work! Tomorrow I am going to weigh on my new scales and see if I have made any progress. Well gotta go. Have a blessed Sunday
  • Hi CowGirl Lisa!
    (we have our Vegas Lisa too!)

Of course you can join us at 49! After all, you're about to be 50 in April!

WOW....you've made incredible strides with your weight...You're an inspirtion for me...and I'm sure others will feel the same. I'll look forward to your tips and secrets for getting it off and KEEPING it off!!
  • Thanks Cowgirl Lisa!
    Thanks for letting us know it can be done. I love to hear success stories!

I know it must be tough to keep it off; because I have never gotten all the way down to any goal I had, and couldn't keep off even what I did lose. but at least I have never got back up to my highest weight of 223 back in Aug 2003. I almost broke the 200 mark again this time before I started back on this diet last Monday.

In the past whenever I would start back on a diet I always weighed more than I did when I started the diet before that one....does that make sense?

But I know when I reach a certain weight (around 220), I really feel miserable; have a hard time getting up from sofas, climbing up stairs and even a curb etc. And oh, the effort of putting on panty hose!!!

I don't tell my family how much I weigh, but I'm telling you all!

I went out to Applebee's today with my son, and had the WW confetti chicken (new). It was pretty good, but how come all the low fat dishes are so spicy? It's been awhile since I tried the guiltless entrees at Chili's but they used to be really spicy too.

But I've sure eaten a lot of fruits and vegetables this week...at least a lot for me. Krogers even had some really good fresh strawberries from Florida, (thanks Florida!)

I feel so virtuous when I'm eating really healthy, don't you??
  • Hi everyone,
    wow, we are soooo many in our group now~that's great.

have not been posting lately 'cuz I'm trying to learn about my new diet software (PowerDiet), but have been reading all the posts daily.
    PowerDiet is almost the same as Fitday, except that there is a recipe section
    and it is possible to add your own recipes.

laffnvegas, I can identify mostly with you: same age, height and almost the same weight. it isn't often I meet somebody as equally "petite".
    5 years ago, I was able to diet down from 150 to 110, I would like to be at 110 again, but I don't think that is realistic considering that I'm 5 years older, and my metabolism is a lot lower, so I have set my goal to 120~don't know if it is feasible, but I'm going for it.
    I'm doing this diet on my own (just like 5 years ago), counting calories with my DietPower, exercising, and listening to my self hypnosis weight loss tapes.
    Tried the South Beach diet last year, but I find it too restrictive~just can't live without the carbs. I've been reading about the Sonoma diet~that's probably one diet I can live with, since I love mediterranean food and red wine. I still have to buy the book tho'.

When I was still living in Florida, (married a Dane and moved to Denmark), I was on the Nutri System diet, and I cheated every single day and still got down to my goal weight. Just didn't like eating the Nutri System processed foods at all~ended up with a cupboard full of Nutri System products!
    Conclusion: It was the accountability, and weekly weigh ins which kept me motivated to eat right and lose the weight.
    So with the motivation and support we give each other, plus our weekly weigh ins ~ we should be able to achieve our goals.
    looking forward to our monday weigh in.......
  • girlieyorkie, I had to laugh at your name because I use to be called poodle lady I currently only have two poodles but have in years past had several (7) at on time. I commend you for wanting to get to 120. It has been at least 15 years since I saw my original WW goal weight of 118. I would be thrilled with mid 130's. I too am basically doing this like you. I have tried many and since I only drink champagne not red wine Sonoma might not work for me but I have found just commen sense eating, counting my calories and lots of exercise it comes right off. At least it did in 2004 I had thought about the nutri system and figured that I too would be stuck with a lot of food that I would not eat. Right now I am about to do some sit ups and leg lifts and hit the treadmill be fore I shower and go to church so I better get going. I will check in later. Oh BTW I was just a bit bad last night but basically had planned for it calorie wise. But we can talk about that later.

Chat later
  • Great Thread
    Hi everyone....

It's nice to find a forum and support group for us over 50 divas. I am good at many things, but dieting is not one of them! Exercising is like a dirty word to me. But, this year I have made up my mind to get healthy.

I am 5' 3" and will be 54 in May. I am realistic enough to know that a healthly weight for my age is more attainable than striving for the weight I was in my twenties....so I am aiming for a weight in the 130 lb. range (I have convinced myself that I am large boned, so I can carry a little more weight). Last week I weighed in at my heaviest ever....160 lbs. I had to fast for two days on a liquid diet for a colonoscopy and lost 8 lbs. (I do not endorse this method as a means of losing weight, I thought I would die!) Anyway, I am down to 152 lbs. as of today.

In Sept. '05 I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I had a partial mastectomy and began chemotherapy, which I finished in mid December. I begin radiation this month. I resigned from a very stressful job in October and am concentrating on getting healthly while I have the time (although energy is somewhat of a problem). I lost all of my hair during chemo and gained weight due to the steriods in the toxic mix they were putting in my system. Of course, I was overweight to begin with. My body is just too big to go with my little bald head!

I am divorced and share my home with my miniature rat terrier, who is also gaining weight! Anyway, I am glad to have found this site and look forward to visiting with ya'll.
  • My goodness ... I can't believe what has happened in the day and a half since I checked in. I can hardly keep up! But it is so wonderful to know that this forum is meeting a need ... I know it is for me. I tried WW but never really felt like I was checking in. The lady who weighed me just said "so how was your week?" and it didn't really seem that she could spend time talking so I'd say "Ok" or "not so great". And she'd say either "good" or "this week will be better". Not exactly what I was hoping for. And the meetings were mostly pep talks ... not really me checking in with anyone.

So I like telling you all how the day went ... and to weighing in tomorrow morning and letting you all know what the scale says.

This is good and we can help each other be the best we can be ... so, until tomorrow, God bless your efforts.
  • This is GREAT! I love seeing everyone here!
    What good news it is to have so much support...no matter how we choose to lose weight this year! I really think with all this support (and accountability!) I'll be able to stick with it this time. I too am looking forward to the Monday weigh-in's and reports ~ good or bad ~ and I know when I have a bad week ya'll will be here to kick me in the butt and not let me get discouraged and quit! Can you tell I've "been there, done that"??
  • Good afternoon fabulous fifties friends!

Well, I'll be here tomorrow to cheer and/or commiserate on the Monday weigh-ins, but since I started on Sunday I do a Sunday weigh-in. I started the Sonoma Plan (I just won't call it "diet") last Sunday because I figured if I started on the first it would be easy to keep track of the days (I get so confused... ). After 7 days I've lost 6 lbs. More importantly for me, a week without sugar, refined stuff, processed foods, etc. has definitely made me feel better. Yes, I'm craving fruit (they have clementine tangerines at my farmers market, and they are wonderful!), but on the 11th I can have some. That's the only sweet craving I've had, thank goodness.

You all are exercising a lot more than I am, and I applaud you! I did get to the gym twice last week after a 3 week absence, and I'll be there tomorrow after work.

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend. It's warm and sunny here, but now it's time to go hit a movie!

Laffnvegas, welcome! On the CLF board I'm Baseballmom. Gee...too bad it's not Halloween -- I bet your beautiful pumpkin would be a big hit over here!

Laurie
  • Congrats Laurie!
    6 pounds!

What a good first week you had!
  • Quote: Good afternoon fabulous fifties friends!

...........After 7 days I've lost 6 lbs.....

Laurie
    WHOOOOO HOOOOOOO LAURIE!!!

Yeeee-HAW!
  • Hi guys...
    Due to the time zone, I get to be the first one on the scale! I'd rather not be the first ~ but OK I'll be brave.
    I've lost 4 pounds in 8 days, and I'm well pleased.
    It would have been nice if it was more, but according to statistics a weekly 2 pounds weight loss is more likely to be permanent, so I guess I'm good.
    Hope everyone is pleased with his/her progress.
  • Guess I'm the second to weigh in!
    You GO Elyn!!! Weight loss is weight loss in my book....I'm always disappointed on week 2 if I lose too much the first week, cuz it's usually water and not much actual FAT! This week I have lost a total of 5 pounds (I ...broke down and weighed on Thursday...thus the little movement in my weight-tracker) A pretty good week for me....I'm happy!
  • Hello All
    Hello,
    Ran across this great website this morning. I'm 52 years old and have been on WW for about 2 months now. Happily losing....about 18 pounds so far. I've joined a lunchtime group at the hospital that I work at, and so far, it's going well for me. Got a lot more to lose (I'd love to lose another 50 pounds) and I'm looking for great low-point recipes and tips on how to get myself into some kind of exercise routine. In the past (the un-successful past!) I've worked around walking...my treadmill for the most part.
    Don't want to ramble too much for my first time here, so I'll just ask if anyone out there has any tips for me to keep me on track?
    Thanks, guys!
  • My Monday morning weigh in
    Hello all,

First of all, way to go Elyn and Jill! And welcome Pattie. In my opinion you've found the best thread on these boards!!

I lost 3 pounds this week.

I'm a little disappointed because I usually lose at least 6 pounds the first week; last week I got down 4 pounds, but my weight went back up a pound.

I'll just assume my 3 lb loss was all fat and not water, which is why I usually lose so much the first week.

I did have a very good week though. I ate very healthy; no junk, just nutritious fruits, veggies, cereal, even salmon. Cut way down on bread. I am already feeling better, because I think I was OD'ing on sweets during the holidays.

I'm happy because that number on the scales is on the way down again.

Gail