Old 11-30-2005, 08:55 PM   #16  
Don't Quit, Can't Fail!

S/C/G: 230/229/145

Height: 5'4.5

Hi everyone,
This sounds like a good place to start here. I am new and am interested in creating several great habits. Replacing them with some rather bad habits. So I would like to start with a level one challenge . I want to drink 8 16 oz glasses of water every day.so starting 12/1 i will drink glug glug glug

Last edited by Fonty; 11-30-2005 at 09:29 PM.
Fonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 09:05 PM   #17  
My beautiful girls!

Default Hi Ladies....

Well this is my first time posting here but I think this sounds like a great idea. I am also going to cheat and make tomorrow day one - but only because it is so late in the day. If I made today day one I would just have to start all over tomorrow because I would fail today .

I am challenging my self to drink 64 oz. of water every day. This has been my major downfall so far.

I am making this a level 2 challenge.
I Will Succeed! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 09:38 PM   #18  

Holy thread activity, Batman! Just two days out of town, I come back and and everything changes. While the cat's away, as they say.

Anyway, I intend to continue my usual babbling - it seems the consensus is in favour of chit-chat, so I won't pack up my laptop and slink off in a huff.

Well, I blew my challenge. No wine at dinner, but went to a craft fair and tasted some bits of cookie samples, and it was about three hours later I realized they were chocolate dipped and i shouldn't have touched them. So what would have been Day 18 was Day last. The road to **** and all that. A major victory though: I didn't decide my slip was carte blanche to pig out today, even tho there were mega-goodies available at coffee breaks. Maybe I'm learning something after all.

I don't know when or what my next challenge will be, but am considering going simple, say no chocolate starting tomorrow. It's not easy, so a Level 3 challenge.

I've read all the posts, but don't see how I could find the time or concentration to comment everywhere I would like to. So let's just say I'm glad there's a new thread, glad to see Red is in better spirits, delighted to know Shad and Fish and Apple will overcome their lows and stay here with us. Also, welcome to the new members, and hello to everyone I haven't mentioned. And Curly, it's true you don't ramble on like some of us do, but when you DO write a longer post, it's always appropriate and informative. And you serve as our challenge champion, knocking them off one after the other. (Maybe if I talked less and exercised more, I'd be less of a woman than I am today...)

The new levels are a fun idea, I just don't understand why there are no semi-levels. (Just joking Red. Always trying to get a rise out of you...)

Gotta go, the suitcase isn't unpacked yet, I'm hungry, and it's time for bed. I'll be back to my usual self tomorrow. Sleep tight, all!
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 11:33 PM   #19  
Exercise Queen

No Soda Day 17
Abs Day 11 *pause* day today

Carla I will join you on the No Chocolate challenge starting the first. Level 3 it is, since Aunt Flo will be visiting during those 21 days and she usually demands chocolate! This should help me get through the family parties, and the workplace treats.
stagemomx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 03:32 AM   #20  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Uh oh,
Challenge done. but the abs challenge will wait until tomorrow because right now I have other things to do.

Thunder is back. Im gone. Better explanation tomorrow, maybe
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 04:27 AM   #21  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Talking Day 3 down and done!!!

Ok, all, Day 3 is done! I went directly to the gym after riding. I bring a change of clothes. My shoes are usually dusty and I have woodchips on my sweater. In the winter, I don't worry much about bothering people with my horsey fragrance.... Well, doing it this way gets me to the gym. I only jogged 3 K and did some weights and the crunches for the challenge. I plan on getting there again tomorrow morning before work and jogging 5K! A friend of mine in L.A. is training for the marathon, her second time. I started training once but think I had a stress fracture in my foot. Maybe I will try again though. People (my sister...it takes a woman, not these guys!!) noticed that my legs were getting thinner. My thighs are huge, not really flabby but very strong from a lot of training. But there is still a lot of fat marbled through them so the running helps, but boy, do you have to keep at it. I used to do 2 hour jogs. Now, I wimp out after 40 mins tops. Before I wouldn't get really going til 40 mins. So much is a mental thing, isn't it? Well, I'm glad to see the action here and everyone sounding optimistic and resolved again! That's the way, folks!

Shad -- Congratulations!!! Great stuff! And that despite all your unhappiness. And sorry about taking over our challenge and making it official. I just thought that was easier and since I was already no doubt left hopelessly in the dust by you after my JC week absence, I figured, what the heck. Didn't think you'd mind...hope not.

stage -- You're doing great on your double challenge! How did you ever get so far when I wasn't looking?!?! I guess you were a stealth start too, right? I like the no chocolate challenge, and yes, think making it Level 3 is a good choice, especially if you use the days all together during the worst craving days. I am not really into chocolate, thank God. I mean, I like it, but it's not something I must have. With me it's usually just something sweet, so I can get away with hard candy or a Japanese sweet, which usually don't have any fat in them, so are less of a bomb. Well, good luck!

carla -- CARLA!! (said in the same tone I use to stop my cats from doing something naughty RIGHT NOW!!) there are NO semi-levels! And there are not going to be any semi-levels!! Just what is a semi-level anyhow?! Is that like when you're stuck between floors in an elevator or what!?!? Ok, this time it's not a spanking. This time I'm bringing out my dressage whip, snap, snap, snap!! Others (especially newbies)...do not be scared...carla likes this kind of thing....

Well, carla, I must say that despite the nonsense I've seen out of you....and you said you'd be BACK? to your normal self tomorrow?????...I must say that you are doing great. Imagine not pigging out with mega-goodies available! Awesome! Sounds to me like you are learning something. Yes, too bad about the challenge. You were so close. It means you won't get another smilie face or star under your name like curly, BUT you have 18 days behind you, so it's kind of the same thing! I think TOMORROW sounds good for a NO CHOCOLATE challenge! Ok, Level 3 it is. Actually, for those of us who have completed two challenges, we had the three pause days anyhow, but I thought it was nice to go back and ratchet up the difficulty of some new challenges, like I'm doing with the crunches. There are things that are logistically hard and things that are out of our control somtimes, but other things, like my crunching thing is really just a matter of doing it and I can do it if I set my mind to it, but it does take doing and effort and planning a lot of times too. I thought it was good to have the levels.

And I am happy to hear you'll be babbling away as usual. What would we do without you?!?!

Succeed -- Hello! Glad to have you aboard. Ok, a water challenge. We used to have tons of those, now not so many. Good luck. And I see you're from the Keystone State. A native? I am originally from Pgh. And your girls are beautiful! Brooke and Madison! Hello!!

Fonty -- A big hello to you too! Another guzzler! Go for it!

curly -- All right!! Just a couple more to go! How about all these people throwing your name around like that, huh? The nerve of some...!!!

derry -- Oh, my, you were so close too. But yeah, Thanksgiving....what can you say. Glad to have you back and that is a hard challenge. Why don't you go for a Level 3? Yes, you CAN do this. WW sounds very sensible and doable and if I weren't over here I think I would do it too. When I was a teenager I was on Weight Limited and I really liked it. I think there is a TOPS here and I am almost thinking of going, just for the weekly socializing. I love a challenge and I have a competitive streak like you wouldn't believe. Well, good luck!!

Fish -- You're moving along well. Yes, old challenges just carry on...glad you like the levels addition. That is funny about your husband. And good for him for trying to kick the habit! I did years ago and really am glad I did.

Silly -- Glad to see you again...or was it me who was gone. Yes, go simple. Simple doesn't mean easy. It just means easy to focus on, easy to remember. It sounds to me like you DO stick to a lot of things, so don't get down about a little old thing like updating your FitDay. Think of that little engine. You can and you will...get up, fall down, get up again (well, that wasn't the engine...but you get the idea). You don't see little kids just refusing to get up again, do you? Well, best of luck and I hope your bf gets well again soon and that you stay well!

PhysDom -- Hi there! That's a tough challenge! Keep us posted!

Apple -- Glad to hear you sounding up again. No, I won't give you gyp (jip?) on your complicated challenge. I am similar, like things complicated most of the time. I'm still doing a lot of things, just wanted the challenge for here to be simple so I can come in and post a quickie even when I'm busy mainly. A pound a week sounds doable but not easy. Good luck! So, are you saying you're starting up your old challenge with the situps and arm weights AND starting another walking challenge? I think so, right?

Last edited by redballoon; 12-01-2005 at 04:38 AM.
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 06:05 AM   #22  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

After 45 minutes of trying to get the oh soo lovely (NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) dial-up connection to load my email, I discover what? 4 junk messages!!! And nothing else, even though it's been 2 days since I checked email...

Anyhow, glad to see a new thread. Good luck with your new challenge Red. I like the levels, spendid idea.
I usually don't have the time to write much or even to read every single post... and dial-up doesn't make it any easier. And when I actually want to say something, I don't know how to put it... so I just focus on posting what day I'm on.

Okay, since we have a new thread, let me restate my challenges. I'm doing two right now, and they're both Level 3, one is running, and the other is doing crunches. Both those things I haven't done for years or never at all when it comes to running outside along the road. Crunches is a killer - I started at 5 and I'm trying to do one more each day or every other day, and I got to 8 yesterday. The 8th one was a killer, so I'll probably stick with 8 for a few days, to make sure I can actually do them, not force them out.
Not too sure what to do about the day before yesterday... I got home with a horrible migraine, laid down to wait for it to go away before going running and... woke up in the middle of the night... I sort of want to forget that day existed...

Abs Challenge
Completed Day 4 yesterday, did 8 crunches. I'll do today's worth as soon as I'm off the computer.

Running Challenge
Yesterday was a blast, today was a struggle. I was tired all day, and could hardly drag my feet to the dirt road where I do my running, and then I ended up resetting my stopwatch, so I don't quite now how long I ran...
Let me find my stats...

Days 1 to 5: no stats kept, but it went from 5-6 minutes to close to 10
Day 6 - 11 mins 30 sec with 2 breaks; 8 mins 14 seconds running, first break at 3 min 41 sec
free day (migraine)
Day 7 - 15 mins 4 seconds with 2 breaks; 11 min 20 sec running, first break at 4 min 30 sec
Day 8 - run 0 to 4 mins 32 sec, walk 4'32" to 6'27" and run 6'27" to 7'30" - so total time ran 5 min 35 sec
Day 9 - run to 3'47", walk to 6'40", run to 9'56", walk to 12'22", run to 13'52" so total time ran is 8 minutes 33 seconds
Day 10 - run 0-3'46", walk to 6'42", run to 9'46" (3"4'), walk to 12'53' and run to 15'57" (3'4" - yay!), total time ran is 9 min 54 sec
Day 11 - run 4'24", walk 3'0", run 1'42" (got a very bad stitch), walk 7'05", run 2'26" (and got another stitch!); so total time ran is 8 min 32 sec
Day 12:
run 2'00", walk 1'25", run 2'08", walk 2'7", run 2'37", total time 10 min 18 sec, total time ran is just 6 minutes 45 seconds
day which did not exist (migraine)
Day 13: run 5'16", walk 3'17", run 6'51", walk 5'11", run 3'01 (could have gone longer, but there were owls sitting in the trees along the road and talking to each other, and I wanted to watch them - still, didn't I say that yesterday was a blast? ) Total time was 23 min 36 seconds, out of which 15 min 8 sec was running.
Day 14: run 3'16", walk 2'30", then ran and walked again but didn't time, and then ran 5'30" again; total time ran will be 10 minutes or so

On to Day 5 of crunches now, and to day 15 of running tomorrow.

Red, for those who are doing the Week at a Time Challenge as well... would you say that 3 weeks of all goals met would be equivalent to one 21-Day Challenge?
Sushi Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 06:35 AM   #23  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Sushi -- Hello there! I was wondering where you were. Glad to see you found us on the new thread. Too bad about your computer. Dialups are the pits. I had that for way too long and even had the ADSL modem for an entire year without hooking it up. Finally I did and I sure wish I had done it sooner. It is so great to just always be hooked up. I would really try to look into getting something like that. It is surely cheaper and you can stay on as long as you like for the same price. I'm sure there must be cheap deals where you are. But, I don't know what you're talking about when you say you don't know what to say? You sound great whenever you're here!

You're doing great on your challenges! My, you are a record keeper. Actually, I am too, but I don't write it here. It's great motivation though and we don't mind. Just post away. I'm not sure if you were joking about the three weekly challenges equaling a 21-day or not....???...but I will take it you weren't.... No, Sushi, we are a separate and, I am proud to say, most definitely a UNIQUE entity. I know some of you do the weekly thread but it just isn't the same now, is it? We need you over here with us, giving us your support, your smilies, your tears, your....so, no, Sushi Them's them and we's us!!

I am, however, considering starting another type of challenge which would be something like a mega-weekly challenge, like a monthlong super challenge that would not involve doing the same thing every day but would be about points and scores and something like that. If you're over there on the weekly doing things for weeks on end, you might like it. It's still on the drawing board, however...stay tuned..
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 06:48 AM   #24  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

Did my 8 crunches before dial-up was done loading my previous post... *rolls eyes and smiles*

Red, dial-up through someone's work laptop is the only internet access I can get right now, so I probably shouldn't complain. It's just annoying that at work, I have super high speed, which I'm not allowed to use...

Off to bed
Sushi Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 07:13 AM   #25  

Well, just got finished reading all your posts and I must say we are a charged up group! With all this energy, how can we fail?
Red, I agree, level 3 it is for me. Especially considering the time of year and that I've been through a death in the family. I do think that personal issues can affect the level for an individual. What would be a level 1 for someone who is in a good place emotionally, could be a level 3 for a person undergoing stress in their lives.
I made it through day 1 yesterday and started my day 2 with a good breakfast, water, vitamins and journalled what I ate. I am glad.
I want that scale to move down this week. I was absolutely apalled when I weighed in at the WW meeting yesterday. Beyond apalled, I was shocked into reality. Guess that is what is takes sometimes, kind of like the proverbial slap in the face?
I could never do the no chocolate challege this time if year, you are brave souls. That's maybe even a level 4, if such a thing exists! I was totally on my ww program yesteray, but had one chocolate one point ww snack bar and also a ww chocolate ice cream cone for 2 points for dessert last night. Low point (or low cal, or whatever you want to call them if you are not a ww person) desserts are essential. If I give up desserts, or chocolate, I feel I am denying myself and then I fail. Something to think about. Chocolate is an essential part of my life, but I did give it up for Lent last year, and that was about the hardest sacrifice for me! One year, though, I gave up salt for Lent and that was awfully hard to do.
Oh yes, Cabot cheese (sorry not in Tokyo or probably anywhere other than around here?) is making pre-packed 50 calorie individual slices of lite cheddar cheese now, I had one of those with breakfast. Cheddar cheese is one of my downfalls usually as I fail to "understand" what a "portion" is supposed to be.... my idea of a portion and what ww tells one to have are completely opposite. So, to have this individually wrapped and portioned for me was a big success for breakfast today!
I am so glad that the merchandising world has finally figured out that people want weight loss portioning and even though we pay dearly for the extra packaging, it's worth it to me.
Linda
derrydaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:19 AM   #26  
Cynical RedHead

Wow, December 1st already! Yesterday was day 15 of ACE.

Busy today, I will check in later today or tomorrow!
FishWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 01:07 PM   #27  
Exercise Queen

No Soda Day 17
Abs Day 12
No Chocolate Start Day

Yes I was stealth start, I had already done a week of No Soda when I found this site and your 21 day challenge post.
stagemomx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 02:06 PM   #28  
prepare for the BEST time

Hi Everyone:

Does getting up every morning and dressing myself (in real clothes instead of sweats with an elastic waist) count as a challenge? If so, it's Day 1 for me, I'm back to work and it's not easy to aclimate.

I can now put my hand on my head and wash my face, so my mobility is improving.....but I feel HUGE as I've been laying around for almost 6 weeks. I really miss being able to do wts./cardio....

I'm itching to join in and do something to expend energy, but it's an exercise in futility only..........

I *thought* semi-paws sounded too good to be true.....

it's nice to be back and I'm impressed by everyone's progress and commitment,
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 03:23 PM   #29  

Keep up the good work guys! Marble... what's the deal? Have you had surgery, an injury? Are you ok?
Linda
derrydaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 03:32 PM   #30  
prepare for the BEST time

Hi Linda:

Accident (I stepped in a hole) 6 weeks ago...double fracture to my nose and my left shoulder too. (i'm left handed, so it's been an adventure), thanks.

I see that our stats are very close....I'm 5'5" and *fine-boned* so I show every extra ounce of fat. short-waisted and a longer leg. At my perfect weight, I run about a 6-8 size.
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote