Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 11:10 AM   #1  
Empress/Queen

Exclamation Queen for A Day Challenge: Royal Emergency Day-At-A-Time Challenge

Emergency, emergency, emergency!!!! It's U.S. Thanksgivin' and that means we're almost at the Solstice 'n Amarantha, for one, be no closer to her goal due to all the bad Flu Demon Vibes 'n general blahness goin' around the Universal Dietary Law Consortium. So she decidedeth to bring her EMERGENCY CHALLENGE A-DAY THREAD OVER HERE WONDERIN' IF ANY s (or others) wanna share in proposing a daily self-help emergency challenge now 'n then to get 'em through, well, a day at a time feelin' fine.

This thread be not intended to compete with or usurp any other conversation goin' on in the Royal Palace Household and hope no one feels that ... just a no frills, no chitchaty last ditch place for s (or others) to post a daily challenge for theirownselves and hopefully in the doin' o' this, to motivate 'n inspireth their royal sisters to continue on in the Goodly March to the Solstice.

If no one bites, I will delete the thread in good time so's not to take up any kilobytes or anything!!!
Old 11-24-2005, 11:15 AM   #2  
Empress/Queen

Talking My Thanksgiving Self-Challenge, I can do this for one day only, right?

Ok, Empress Amarantha, since ye ask, I DO have a self-challenge for myself on this U.S. Thanksgiving!!! I am challengin' myself to EAT NO REFINED SUGAR today at all, except that incidental in healthy low GI foods such as the sprouted buns I am planning on using to make a healthy "stuffing" for a chicken dish. I will also pursue a GOAL (not part of the CHALLENGE) of getting out of the house for some movement (I am ill and don't want to move but will never get better that way) AND of eating in a moderate calorie range (to be determined).

I DECLARE THE PRIZE FOR THE COMPLETION OF THIS CHALLENGE IS TO GO TOMORROW TO SIGN UP AT THE NEW GYM AND PURCHASE SOME SESSIONS WITH THE PERSONAL TRAINER I WISH TO CONSULT, ASSUMING THE GYM IS OPEN WHEN I AM FEELING AWAKE ENOUGH TO GO, OTHERWISE, I'LL GO ON ANOTHER DAY.

In accordance with the RULES o' this daily challenge thread, which Amarantha forgot to state, I WILL REPORT ON THE SUCCESS OR FAILURE OF THIS CHALLENGE AND NOT LEAVE OTHERS HANGIN' AROUND THE GREAT HALL AND WONDERING HOW I DID.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:15 AM   #3  
Opulent

Good idea, Sister!

I challenge myself to stay AWAY from the mashed potatoes which have too MANY tablespoons of rich and buttery Earth Balance in them and to aslo avoid the Pesto I made that has too much extra virgin olive oil! Sneaky me tried to forget about the decadent GRAVY that is *all* fat! I vow to NOT eat even a TASTE of these things and make the "mashed cauliflower" dish and a nice polenta with marinara sauce instead of all these other naughty foods. Also, I will have only 1 SMALL peice of mixed berry pie! I will insist on going for a walk after our meal and have the meal at 2 pm so there is time to burn through all that food before bed. Also, I will drink fresh veggie (beet, carrot, celery) juice and water until the meal and only water afterwards! And so it is!
Old 11-24-2005, 11:18 AM   #4  
Empress/Queen

Welcome, Fellow Traveler Yogini!!! Mmmm, mashed cauliflower, that's an idea for me, too!
Old 11-24-2005, 11:19 AM   #5  
wsw

happy thanksgiving, amarantha! hope you are feeling better. i'm in for the emergency day at a time challenge. thought i was going to get out of thanksgiving day meal, but a friend really wanted to cook thanksgiving dinner at my place, so i'm making the commitment to eat small portions and no dessert. also, will get in all my scheduled exercise by this afternoon. thanks for the thread, amarantha! take good care of thy royal self.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:20 AM   #6  
Opulent

Yes, the cauliflower is GOOD! You can substitute dairy products for the vegan ones, naturally

I make my vegan "mashed cauliflower" like this:

Make a "roux" out of 1 T. Earth Balance (healthier margarine) and 2 T. rice flour. Add a few pinches each of nutmeg and pepper. Add 1 cup plain, unsweetened soy yogurt (I like Wildwood), 2 T. vegan parmesean and then add 1 head steamed cauliflower. Add a splash of umeboshi vinegar or lemon juice and a few pinches of sea salt. Mash together and eat
Old 11-24-2005, 11:23 AM   #7  
wsw

welcome, yogini!
Old 11-24-2005, 11:36 AM   #8  
Opulent

Wow, what warm welcomes! Thanks, Lovlies
Old 11-24-2005, 01:47 PM   #9  
Empress/Queen

Welcome to the Emergency Room, Wsw!!! Thanks for participatin' and have a great challengey type day!!! Thanks for the good wishes, I do feel better and can report on the GOAL part o' my challenge that I walked 10 minutes outside before going shopping for some healthy food ... 40 minutes food shoppin' also counts in my Fitday PC. I did have orange juice, which is not the greatest thing for blood sugar, but definitely does not, in my view, constitute a serving of BAD CARBS, so I'm good to go on that part.

Yogini, thy cauliflower recipe soundeth great. I forgot to get cauliflower but will be having some tomorrow. I will try thy vegan version, methinks. I was a vegetarian (never vegan) for more than 10 years, often feel like switching back but haven't made that decision at this time, but like to try recipes.

Onward, here's to one day at a time!!!!

Every day in every way, I'm getting better and better! (Coue)
Old 11-24-2005, 07:54 PM   #10  
deleted2

Cool idea! Thanks for posting it, Empress!

I'm a bit late with this but just wanted to chime in with a Thanksgiving report. For breakfast I had coffee, a pear and a slice of lite Jarlsberg, and my ususal vegetarian Thanksgiving feast and didn't go back for seconds, and for dinner I had a simple protein shake and am drinking water to keep things grooving. Also, tonight I did 15 minutes of yoga and Pilates. Not my usual, but better than the nothing I was planning, so I'm proud of that!

Now I have 2 more food hurdles to get thru in the next 2 days. I can do it! [I hope....] Can we keep the emergency thread up thru the weekend?

BTW, I made mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes and they were a hit!

Old 11-24-2005, 08:50 PM   #11  
Empress/Queen

Yowza, E's in the house!!! Yep, E, let's keep the thread goin' through the weekend, please! I also have more hurdles to go in the next few days, maybe longer, a day at a time, that's how I'm gonna get back outta emergency mode. Thanks for thy report! You did great!

You guys are all makin' me crave mashed cauliflower!

My report is thusly: NO REFINED SUGAR CHALLENGE IN THE BAG! Thus, I WILL go to this new gym tomorrow and arrange to meet with the trainer (unless it's closed, then it'll have to be another day). I only intend for this to be temporary, will stay at present gym and train myself ... long story, need some more help.

My mini goals also a hit: 1795 cals, still trying to inch those down. This includes a serving of milk that I have not had so I'll likely be in good shape for finishing this goal successfully. Activity goal also met, as previously reported.

I will return with a new self-challenge tomorrow!!!!

Emergency, Will Robison!!! Emergency, emergency, emergency ...
Old 11-24-2005, 09:27 PM   #12  
wsw

i stuck to my goal of getting all my exercise in, no dessert, and reasonable portions (well, except for bread, that is), but basically, did a pretty good job. actually, pretty proud of myself for making it through as well as i did.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:01 AM   #13  
Empress/Queen

Kudos, Wsw, for thy fortitudeness in sticking to thy yesterday's goal!!!! Great job!!
Old 11-25-2005, 09:15 AM   #14  
Empress/Queen

Talking

MY EMERGENCY SELF-CHALLENGE TODAY CONSISTS OF THREE PARTS: 1) Calories 1700 or less 2) No refined sugar except orange juice (which is not really a refined sugar but kind of acts like it in the bod, however, I need the orange juice in this emergency) and 3) Walk 30 minutes or more, either in small segments or all at once.

I've been thinkin' that I may need this emergency day-at-a-time challenge thread for a longer period of time than the rest of the four-day weekend, so may keep at it longer or as long as anyone feels they need it! 'Cause, again, WE HAVE LESS THAN A MONTH TO FULFILL SOLSTICE GOALS.

Now, actually, I did not declare a solstice goal other than decluttering (forget that, I want to loss weight and eat right and GET WELL), but I did want to be at 135 by the end of this week (won't happen, but oh well). And I have scads o' goals for next year, some related to weight and some not ... but basically, it's all related to weight ... and by "weight" I don't really mean "weight" ... not just a number on a scale, anyhow, I mean a comfortable weight that I desire to be at, health, fitness, feeling good in my decrepit bod, spiritual mind/body/world connection, good nutrition, etc., etc., etc. I mean FINALLY coming to a place in this journey where the "weight" (e.g., all of the above factors) are coming together to position me into a mental/physical place where 2006 is the BEST YEAR EVER on all fronts ... fellow travelers, I cannot do this in less than the healthiest bod I can manage to create and I am far, far from that place right now ... so, that's the long explanation (more than ya wanted to know, I'll bet) for the cry o'

EMERGENCY, WILL ROBINSON, EMERGENCY, EMERGENCY, EMERGENCY!

So to all who want walk this walk for a day, a week, or however long, let's start TODAY and see how she goes.

'Cause in the final analysis, methinks, TODAY is really all we have ... but ONE day, well, it'll be the Solstice and what we do TODAY could have a big impact on how much we rejoice in that wonderful comin' back o' the light day ... sis, boom 'n bah.

Forgot to add that my reward for the challenge (which I will buy ahead of time because I KNOW I will ace this thing) is some kind of exercise item ... not sure what.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:17 PM   #15  
wsw

thanks for thy support, amarantha!
my goal for today-small, healthy portions (so far so good), meditation tape, regular exercise routine plus extra back stretches.
Closed Thread