3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups

Teachers Successfully Losing Weight/holiday Season Edition/see Ya In January!

Old 12-04-2005, 12:12 PM   #91
MomWifeTeacherFriend

Hello...my name is Robyn and I'm addicted to DietCodeRedMountainDew! If you've never tried it...DON'T! Stay away from the stuff, mannnnn! It will only bring you down! For real....this stuff is haunting me! If it is in the house, then I can hear it calling to me, "Drink ME!" If it is in the house, I can feel it pulling my hand to the box like some giant magnet...again it whispers, "Drink MEEE!" OMG. I can only imagine how a real drug is! Ok...so my addiction IS out on the table... I think I've confessed this before... but every now and again... a new confession is good! My dh's answer to this addiction/obsession is...get THIS..what a man..... Don't buy any more! Well...DUH! Doesn't he know how those darn bottles and cans literally chant my name when I walk down THAT aisle at the store?! (Have you seen THAT Starbuck's commercial on TV? THAT is what happens to me!) Doesn't he know that usually I have to drag multiple 12 pack boxes of cans OUT of my shopping buggy and back on the shelves after they have thrown themselves in on their VERY own?! I've suggested that HE do the grocery shopping! That I'm sure that HE could pass by and not hear the chanting but alas... NOPE! He just DOESNT get my addiction OR the way those DCRed's attack and control me!

Thanks for listening to my confession...AND my warning! Stay away from Diet CodeRedMountainDew! Don't fall into this horrible trap! I'm planning on going cold turkey...once this can is empty.... and I'm planning on just drowning the MonkeyOnMyBack with water! And..I guess, the family will just NOT be having soda (or cookies) for a while since I can't go down THAT aisle! I've done this before....I can do it again!

Thanks for listening to my confession! I'm going to need your strength and encouragement to beat this addiction!

(For anyone who doesn't know me.... don't fret over the children that I teach daily....I'm only just a TAD crazy... and that TAD is what keeps me IN the classroom! )

Last edited by HatterasMermaid : 12-04-2005 at 12:13 PM. Reason: you KNOW I can't spell! ;)
HatterasMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 12:26 PM   #92
MomWifeTeacherFriend

Ok. Ok. OKAYYY! Thank you very much Gin and Mouse for your support and encouragement and praise for my loss! You both are RIGHT! AND I didn't give in OR throw up my hands OR eat a box of Krispy Kreme (ohhh raspberry filled or lemon filled or cream (the yellow!) filled with chocolate glaze...Oh did I tell you that I suffer or rather enjoy ADHD?!) to see if THAT would help my mood and scale issue! I THANK you very much for your "vision" when I get under my Eeyore cloud and can't see the light of day OR the end of this journey! YES! You are both right! Shall I say it again?! You guys are the best! Thanks!

OK... so here is my NSV for the moment! I cooked pancakes, sausage, hashbrowns, and various eggs for the King and 2Princes breakfast today! I ate my bowl of cereal! There was only 1 BLT... it was to see if I had enough sugar in the pancake batter! (Save me the rant about eating raw eggs...I'd be dead by now!) (And YES, I put a bit of sugar in my pancakes...you didn't think I got into THIS situation by eating ole dried out blah pancakes, did you?! AND we only use REAL maple syrup! I was raised on the REAL stuff and Aunt Jemima isn't MY aunt! If you're gonna eat the junk! EAT THE JUNNNK! ) So... The King and 2Princes ate and ate and ate and ate. The only comment that I got about the breakfast (that required all 4...count them 4... burners to be on at one time...) that I served was and I quote... "What? No cheese in my omelette?" I didn't hit anyone with one of my 4!!! pans that I had going.... I'm sure the King and 2Princes meant to say something like..., um... "Thanks!" BUT...I didn't eat anything that I shouldn't have!

Gotta run.... the living room has seen too much living!
take care,
meeee

Old 12-04-2005, 09:01 PM   #93
Swimming Mouse

Evening all.
Robyn: You might want to stay away from Pepsi One, then, too. I, on the other paw (I AM a mouse afterall, right? I can't have hands!), will keep drinking that, my diet 7UP and my Hansen's Gingerale. :grin: Although, I am slowly able to drink more regular water, I do far better with carbonation and I'm less likely to get sick from that. My endocrinologist isn't thrilled by it, but she's dealing. I do avoid the caffeine at school, though, so I get less caffeine than I used to drink. Let's see... did you know that the company that makes one of the Vermont Maple Syrups does a sugar free version with Splenda? Its great with some low-cal/low-fat margarine melted into it. Its super expensive in the store; I usually buy mine at Cracker Barrel's stores. Its cheaper there for some reason.
Ginny: Cranium Cadoo, hmm? Okay. I was also looking at the amusement park-styled one, because I usually do this huge thematic unit on amusement parks at the end of the year in some form or other. Not sure if I'll do that this year or not; its going to be a pain in the butt to get the Roller Coaster Tycoon software approved by the County since its a video game. I have done a lot of work to match up the game with state standards, though. I just haven't decided whether or not I'm going to do it because at least 3 of my kids would need a WHOLE LOT of help to get anything out of it.
Yea, she is definitely a control freak. She loves to give me advice, which I mostly ignore (though she has been right more than once: she told me a year and a half ago that I should've left my last school because the administration was insane). We've had our moments in the past, too... there was a period where I refused to talk to her or her husband because they gave me less than 6 weeks notice that they were going to sell the condo they'd rented to me. This was in 2001, so the rental market was really tight, and I didn't have my master's degree yet, so I wasn't anywhere near the average income for Northern VA. I couldn't afford to rent anything near my school. I survived by buying a house I didn't want, that was 30 miles from my school in utterly horrendous traffic. I rented the upper half of the house to some friends of a friend of mine, and while they were decent: quiet, mostly sane, they were sloppy and didn't do the stuff they were supposed to do for me to get the reduced rent I gave them. I quite literally didn't talk to them from 2001 until late 2003, and they initiated it. Rather, her husband did. And that's pretty unusual for me, because Jews typically make up with friends and/or family just before Yom Kippur because it is the Day of Atonement. Also, I have a hard time being mad enough at anybody that I'm going to shun them. That was my problem at my last school, after all! I couldn't stay angry at them, and kept coming up with reasons for why they acted the way they did and treated me the way they did. We'll see what happens; I had bought them something for the baby (already gave them a machine-stitched Mennonite quilt; though I'm not sure they understood the sentiment behind it) from Boyd's Bears. Its a stuffed lion and a little keepsake box. I was going to hang on to it to give it to them in person, but I decided it was easier to ship it to them. So I changed the order today, and it should go out tomorrow.
We'll see.
And, I think I have things in a bit more perspective: I had my first fire call for my new Red Cross chapter. I think I told you that I was asked to be a disaster manager for the chapter recently. That means I'm a team leader of 3-5 people, and the lead responder for any local events. So, I was up & out at 5:30 this morning. The family has insurance, fortunately. The house can be repaired, and its half liveable. I'm sure it looked worse outside than it really was since it was a white house (the smoke on the siding, and all).
And, the parent of the child I teach swimming to told our supervisor that she's going to bring her son next week, but she'll have his grandmother work with him instead of a substitute teacher since I'm going to be attending a conference. He has made progress... he's getting off the steps more, grabbing the railing on request, and he crab walked about half of the bar.
I guess I'm trying to say that I know that I have qualities and parts of me that make me who I am... and that I'm probably a fairly decent person most of the time. I just wish there were more people who could see past what I look like on the OUTSIDE.

<?> Swimming Minutes: ? (Goal: ? hours)
<?> Swimming Miles: ? (Goal: ? miles)
Workouts on hold due to surgery 8/06
Weight Minutes: On hold
Goals Met 2006:

Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 09:18 PM   #94

Hi! I saw this thread and thought I would give it a try. I am a fourth grade teacher beginning my weight loss journey. Here is my story...

I gained 60 pounds when I got pregnant with my daughter and have not been able to make any headway in the 8 years since.

I've tried everything imagineable, but cannot do it without motivation and support from others. My husband is very supportive but he lost 40 pounds without a problem and doesn't know how it feels to work on it but get no results.

I feel like if I don't see big results right out of the gate I give up.

I need motivation and was hoping I could write here and talk to you girls for some support.

How do you get the counter at the bottom and your picture to come up with the messages?

1 dragonfly for every 5 pounds lost

Dawn
Fit Day

Valentine's Day Goal
teacherlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 11:21 PM   #95
MomWifeTeacherFriend

Hi TeacherLady! Dawn! Welcome to a very supportive place! The folks who hang out in this thread know ALLLLLL too well about the pleasures and pains of the faculty meeting goodies, the teacher's lounge, as well as the desk drawer full of candy for THOSE moments (that seem to be getting more and more frequent!)! I'm off to turn over the last load of laundry of the weekend and then calling it a weekend by hitting the bed before midnight....but, please do check back! You've GOT to meet the gang! They are wonderful, supportive AND full of great recipies! You will find this thread as well as other places on 3FC nearly as addictive as DietCodeRed!

I'm teaching 1st grade for the 19th time! Which is hard seeing as I'm just a sweet young thing of 22! (Crap! I'm nearing 41!) I'll tell you all about it next time...the dryer just buzzed for the 2nd time...and while I love to chatter...I hate ironing more!

Take care,
meeee (but some call me Robyn!)

Old 12-05-2005, 07:41 PM   #96

Thanks for the warm welcom Robyn. I'm looking forward to posting on this thread and getting to know everyone. I think this will be a great outlet for me. I'm looking forward to a successful weight loss journey.

I have a ton of grading to do tonight plus workout.

Always so much to do and not a lot of time. You all seem really nice. I've read through some of the posts. I'm looking forward to talking to you all.

Dawn
Fit Day

Valentine's Day Goal
Old 12-05-2005, 08:21 PM   #97
Swimming Mouse

Welcome Dawn! I know the feeling about not having enough time! It just doesn't seem to work!

Okay, all. I've probably made school history! TWO, yes, TWO of my students have received in-school restriction within a week. My girl that cuts all the time has one day tomorrow, and my boy with the touchy-feely issue has 2 days at the end of the week.

So. That's about all that's new on my end.

Goals Met 2006:

Old 12-05-2005, 10:14 PM   #98
MomWifeTeacherFriend

I'm off to visit CSI-Miami while enjoying my electric blanket! Last Monday was 70+ degrees.... a week later.... we got snow! Didn't stick...but WOW! The ship would have sunk if it were up to the kiddos! They were glued to the windows today....we would have capsized for sure! Even tho CSI is a repeat.... my electric blanket is calling to me! AT least there isn't any food in there! Hope all is well! Gin, Pam.... the rest! Where are you?! take care, meeee
Oh, P.S. I've got a ton of stuff to do.... I'm NOT doing it!

Old 12-06-2005, 08:14 AM   #99
Swimming Mouse

We had a two hour delay today. It was nice getting to sleep till 7:00.
I did finally hear from my friend; she thinks it was trapped by my spam filter. I told her anything is possible, although my Norton spam filter hasn't been working since last Wednesday... I have two copies of Norton Anti-Virus, since I'd bought it before I bought the new 'puter... and the new 'puter came with a 60-day version... so now the two of them aren't cooperating because the subscription on one of them expired. Symantec hasn't answered my email.
Also, I have things set so that if the person is in my address book, it doesn't get marked junkmail... I REALLY REALLY want to give them the benefit of the doubt.
Well, I'd better start thinking about going to work. I don't have to be there till 10:00 though, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do for another hour. I'm disgustingly organized: my grades are in and done, I have work for my two kiddos that have in-school suspension, and all I need to do is write sub plans for Friday.

Goals Met 2006:

Old 12-06-2005, 11:26 AM   #100
burned out bus driver

Hi Dawn!!!! Welcome to our group......I love the friends I have made here. They have so put up with my ranting and raving......insanity.....warped sense of humor......oh well. You will find tons of support here and tips to help with the weight loss journey. Think I am the only non teacher here......gee, have a dd who is studying to be a teacher that sort of counts, and I myself am the resident bus driver here (unless another joins us!). Anyway, welcome- I look foward to getting to know you better.

Sorry, got a ton of stuff to do this am.....so I will have to be short. Mouse- you could not have sent some of that snow here in NY????? I was looking foward to a delayed opening, which we did not get.. Oh well. I am so glad that you are seeing a different side of this situation with your friend and not feeling quite so hurt. I hurt for you reading of your pain and despair- and it did seem so undeserved. Hugs........
Robyn-oh, you crack me up. Guess I will have to stay away from the diet code red mtn dew, eh???? Worse than chocolate?????? Keep your chin up-
stay warm.....Hey, did you get a snow day today???

Okie dokie.......gotta go do some online shopping. Hi to everyone I missed....sorry for being so brief. Take care!
Ginny
Old 12-06-2005, 06:32 PM   #101

I have a girl with ADHD who does not take meds and will not do anything. I was at her desk at least 30 times today trying to get her to work and she just stops working when you walk away. I have no idea what to do with her.

I tried to have the counselor come talk with her but just as they were leaving the girl's mom came to get her early. This is a usual thing too. I am at a loss on what to do.

However, on the weight side, I weighed in today. I made a vow to only weigh myself once a week. I have been dieting for one week and I have lost 3 pounds. I'm so so happy. It has been easier this time than I thought it would. Although I still have not started working out. I just haven't found time for that part yet.

I started logging everything I eat in at fitday.com and that has made journaling really easy.

Well I have to go to a high school boys basketball game so I better go. I will check with you chickies later tonight.

Dawn
Fit Day

Valentine's Day Goal
Old 12-06-2005, 07:30 PM   #102
Swimming Mouse

Evening everybody.

Ginny: Well, now I don't know. I sent her back an instant message about how utterly adorable he is (and he really is, and mind now, this comes from a person who really isn't into babies. I don't coo over them, although most of the time I manage to make polite conversation about them), and got no response at all. I don't know, I just don't know. I'm trying SO HARD and I feel like screaming. I really am going to be out of town the next 3 weekends: I'm in Philadelphia this weekend, next weekend I have my Maryland Council for Exceptional Children board meeting and the last night of swim lessons. I'm not going to drive back to Virginia from the meeting, I'm just going to stay up there... and then the following weekend is Christmas and Hanukkah (Hanukkah starts on Christmas Day at sundown this year). If I don't go to my mom's house that night, I'll go the day after because I said I'd hang around here in case we have fire calls. I'm the only Jewish member of the team, and Hanukkah isn't in the same class as other Jewish holidays. And, the weekend after that is New Years... I'm working at the gym in Baltimore! I'm sure she'll think I'm making excuses!
As for snow: We only had about an inch or 2... they really don't know what to do with snow around here. Some of the roads in the district I teach in are horrid, though... small, narrow, windy.
Dawn: Would a behavior chart or point sheet work for her? I forget what grade you said you teach. They sell these little charts with boxes for small stickers, and everytime she did what you wanted (start small!), she'd get a little sticker. As for mom, well... wish I could help you out there. I've got a crew of them this year. I usually do, but being a new employee in the district doesn't make it easier. I have one that does the same thing: his daughter has 21 UNEXCUSED absences since the start of school. She's been told by the attendance officer that she & dad will have to go to court if she doesn't attend school, and she needs doctor's notes whenever she's absent. She never brings them, and just today had in-school suspension because she left school without permission AND cut scheduled classes. She used her cell phone to get somebody to pick her up, lied to her art teacher and snuck out of the building. She didn't go out the front door, because she said she left around 1:45 or so, and my TA has hall duty at the front door at that time. Plus, they checked the cameras. And, she hates me now: because I made SURE she served her in-school suspension. She was trying to act like she forgot she had it. I feel so rotten, but I know I can't let her break the rules just so she'll like me!

Goals Met 2006:

Old 12-06-2005, 10:41 PM   #103

It seems like you have a wonderful group too. I teach 4th grade. I have tried the award charts for her. It is hard at out school because we have this thing where we can't give out candy, gum, etc. we have to give out healthful snacks like trail mix and granola bars. Needless to say the kids couldn't care less if they get some trail mix for behaving. I also have a treasure box but after awhile with some it loses it's appeal.

To make matters worse this is my first year of teaching. I have 28 kids with 4 sets of siblings, a set of cousin, 3 special ed kids, 9 kids in remedial math, and 7 kids in remedial reading AHHHH!

Everyday is crazy and very eventful. You would think with all of my problems I teach at a large school. Nope. I teach at a K-8 school of about 200 kids. Our town only has 5,000 people. It just so happens I picked the school district with the lowest economic class. That's what I get for following my husband.

It should get better though. I will be splitting my class after christmas. My room is too small for that many and we are literally shoulder to shoulder. I cannot separate their desks at all they have to be in groups. This is a problem since all they want to do is talk. But, 2 weeks and we will have Christmas break and after that I will only have 14. I'm so very excited.

My town is expecting snow tonight. I sure hope we get it. I could use a day to relax. I guess I'm going to clean some of my house now before I go to bed. Ughh! I hate cleaning. Talk to ya later.

Dawn
Fit Day

Valentine's Day Goal
Old 12-06-2005, 11:38 PM   #104
MomWifeTeacherFriend

Ok Dawn... Did you hear me ROTFLOL? (Can I count the rolling as exercise?) I was trying to think of what I would do for a snack of trail mix! Ummmmm ......"NOTHING" is the only thing I can come up with! Hanging a raisin under my nose would do nothing more than make me giggle like a fool! (Sorry... I applaud, I think, your schools efforts.... but trail mix doesn't cut it for a bunch of elementary kids... at least the kids that I know! For the record, I don't use food much as a motivator. BUT...when I do .... I make it worth their efforts! Last year I actually shared my baby carrots with my class on a rather regular basis... long story... I didn't use them as any sort of reward.... they would eat ALL that I allowed them to eat...DAILY! )

Your class sounds quite challenging! Why on earth so many siblings and related children? (For everyone but Dawn...you will want to ignore this paragraph cause it is when I start ranting about the stuff you all KNOW so well....yadda, yadda, whine, whine!) I also am the SpEd inclusion teacher for my gradelevel as well as the remediation teacher. My class this year *ONLY* numbers 13. (Got a new one last week!) HOWEVER, these 13 are THE lowest of the low, the most challenging of the hard to deal with kids. Each of these children were suggested to be retained in Kindergarten. The principal asked me to take this class as my prior 17 years of experience was in a very tough situation. I am sort of certain that it isn't the students that are causing most of my stress... I'm so overwhelmed by the pull out programs and other adults that I must deal with. ALL of my children are labeled "at-risk". They ALL go somewhere sometime during the day. There is 1 hour (not counting lunch!) where everyone is in the room all at the same time! I will begin piloting a new reading series on January 2nd....because THEY think that this is a great time of year to TOTALLY change things. I have no choice in this implementation date....and I was told that I would be pulled out of my room on Tuesday (write sub plans) so that I can be trained. 5 days prior to the Winter Break... yeah, those will be easy to write (NOT) and wonderfully followed sub plans...NOT... I just erased a BUNCH of whining.... sorry. I'm so frustrated by this situation.

I did well with eating today! Altho I ate a school roll with my salad.......It was all emotional! Haven't had a diet code red since my last plea for help! BUT man do I *MISS* it!

Gotta run...didn't realize it was so late....
duh, huh?!

sorry to not get personal, Gin and Mousie....
take care
thanks for listening to me rant and rave!
meee

Old 12-07-2005, 12:50 PM   #105
burned out bus driver

Hi!

Before I get way-layed into some nonsense about me let me get personal-

Mouse- for a short story about postpartum stuff......when I was pg with Ds- we attended a lamaze refresher with another couple - who ended up delivering almost the same day as Ds was hatched.......yes said hatched.....
anyway. This was her 3rd baby or something like that. I remembered wanting to crawl (Ds was almost 9# and all head!) across the hall to visit her- remember we had spent about 5 evenings together in a course- and was told by the nurses that she was not seeing anyone.....not for the whole week.....she ended up needing a Csection and was NOT at all handling it well.
So, it is with that in mind that I think of your friend. You have done all you can, my friend.....she will just have to deal with this when she is ready. Hope the Friday storm does not impact you snow wise......I know your area does not do snow well.

Robyn- code red withdrawal eh?????? Hey- rant, rave, whine........cause when you are doing that here, you are not snacking or stress eating, right????
(I for one find your ranting refreshing, it reminds me of me!hehehehe)

Dawn- well, I have not a clue what to do with the ADHD child. I have had to deal with them on the bus and know that is no picnic, and what I would resort to at work you can't do. (I have tried to pair an ADHD student with another more mature student who is willing to assist keeping the other from self destructing...poor way of putting it....but that is the gist of it) Congrats on the 3# loss.....any particular program you are following??

Got to WW today. Up 0.4, but last week it was 55 and I was in my workout clothes, today it was 19 and I was dressed like nanuck of the north......my scale here tells me I am down, so I will see it next week. I did something totally STUPID.....Robyn will appreciate this. Our meeting has a travelling tracker......noone volunteered to take it this week, so me the do-do head did.
Okay, it will keep me painfully honest, and I do really want to see a loss next week.......gosh am I a moron or what...... (Robyn, ok to answer that honestly...... ). So I am nuts. But then you all knew that.
Got a busy nite. Got a 3.2 mile walk in this am. 4:45 am start to do so.....and I have to accompany the choir tonite at their practice......bring out the toothpicks, I will need them.
I have blabbered enough......... See ya tomorrow!Hey, Pam, Sue, Kerry, Fran- who else did I miss......we miss you (or I am scaring everyone away ).
Ginny
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.