Old 11-28-2005, 08:49 PM   #76  
Wife, Mom and Teacher

S/C/G: 223~211~150

Height: 5'3"

I'm back OP (I think)! Yesterday I did the 1 mile WATP with my 3 pound weights PLUS 40 minutes (2.25 miles) on the treadmill. Eating was good, too (I even skipped the pumpkin pie). Today I guilted myself into another treadmill workout. This time I did 2.3 miles in 40 minutes. I went upstairs to grab my robe before taking a hot bath to warm up. But I felt guilty since I promised myself a mile a day, so I put my workout clothes on and the next thing I knew, I had done over 2 miles. I always go to the next 5 minute increment, which gives me something easy to record AND sneaks in a few extra steps. So, I ended up at 40 minutes.

Sorry to not get personal! I need to go shower off the sweat!

Michele
Michele L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 12:52 PM   #77  
burned out bus driver

Hey Michele!
Congrats on all the workouts.....feels good doesn't it! Good for you staying OP. A lot of us seem to be having a tough week, I saw my WW buddy yesterday and she is having a tough time getting back on track after the holiday weekend too. I am doing ok with it.....could be better......

For me, got a 2.3 mile walk in this am, and will be on the treadmill again tonite when the Felicity movie is on.....plan on going for a leisurely 2 mile walk during the movie, which I promised I would watch with Dd who has been a Felicity fan for 2 years now....
Other than that not much new. Spoke to Dh this am about Ds's abysmal SAT.
Well, he did not take it well, but was not nearly as irritable about it as I feared. I am already investigating an SAT review course for him, there is one tutor in town who does a really good job of SAT prep.....Ds has no choice on this one, he will have to take it. EVERY teacher who has ever taught him has said he is the classic underachiever, far more intelligent than his grades indicate, just lazy and uninspired. (fun to be his parent too! ). So there is hope.....he will have to work hard and focus that is all.......

Okie dokie, gotta go make my tea for the pm and get ready to face the masses.....see ya!
Ginny
ECmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 04:19 PM   #78  

Hey!
How's everyone? Sounds like everyone is busy. I am pooped and it's only Tusday. Oh well, I got my plans done for December, so I won't have to worry about that. That's a huge relief.
Managed to get my livingroom decluttered. Now it's time to work in the kitchen.
No time to get personal. I am determined to get my kitchen straightened and clean, and have to cook dinner and hem a pair of pants for my little one.
HEY KERRY; NICE TO HEAR FROM YOU.

Talk to you all later.
Pam
pamisuzinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 12:38 PM   #79  
burned out bus driver

Pam- I hear ya, I am pooped too.......hope you found a path thru the living room, I hope to do that tomorrow....mine is not too bad however. Glad your plans are done for December, as busy as this month will be I am sure it is a relief to have all your lesson plans done.

Got to WW this am....lost 1.something....I am happy with all the holiday stuff going on. Good meeting.....glad I got there. Walked 3 miles this am.....and I am getting a cold. Feel like garbage, not enough tea in this world to make me feel better ( I drink tons of tea when I have a cold, I find it soothing).

Hey, remember the moron who passed my bus a few weeks ago while I was boarding a student??? Bless her crabby heart, she showed up again yesterday, about a mile from where she pulled her infamous move last month.
I had a 5th grader (back seat) catch her plate#, and once she gave me that I knew it was the same jerk. Oh the faces she made, nasty gestures....you name it....and there is no good place at that point to allow her to pass me.
So when I got to the stop with the wonderful Dad who backed me up, I informed him "guess who is behind me!". He picked up on it immediately.....pretty funny ride from there on.....and all the kids in my bus were leaning in the aisle staring at this nut case......ok you had to be there.....it was humorous.

Gotta go type something for Dh. Have a good one!
Ginny
Old 11-30-2005, 05:16 PM   #80  

Hey!
Dinner is in the oven one chore down..........Had a HUGE moment of weakness today. Stopped at the grocery store to buy some chicken to cook for dinner....Well, this grocery store has all this old fashioned made at the store candy. Single dipped peanuts, white chocolate covered pretzels, haystacks, you name it, they have it. So, I left there with a bag of single dipped chocolate peanuts and a bag of white chocolate covered pretzels. I opened the bag, ate a handful of the peanuts and thought what in the world am I doing? So, after two pretzels..... I took the rest of the candy to my husband's work, and left it. He said, do you want me to bring this home. I said NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!! I do have a recipe for turtles that is one point. If anyone wants it.......

I have had a rather uneventful day otherwise. I woke up at 5 believe it or not, cause I had fallen asleep at nine. So, I mopped my kitchen, washed and dried a load of clothes, loaded the dishwasher, took out the trash, and plucked my eyebrows, all before getting ready for work. Gosh, I wish I had the drive everyday. Now, I'll be pooped again by eight. But, I have to use this energy up as soon as I get it.

Ginny: You and that crazy bus. Bet that woman was feeling a little awkward........ Hope your cold gets better. Get some rest.....

Oh, remember the woman I told you about on the Hallelujah diet? She is already down to a size twelve from an eighteen. Dang.......A little jealous over here......Not about the diet part, just the clothes part. I can wear anywhwere from a fourteen in some pants, very rarely, to an eighteen.....
However, the eighteens, are way too baggy in the legs, and fit around the waist. I should live by this motto: Count your blessings, not the blessings of others. This really applies to me some days....

Hey to everyone!

Take care,
Pam
Old 11-30-2005, 07:00 PM   #81  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

hey ya'll.... is it FRIDAY yet? I'm so tired... and I've got nothing exciting to talk about. Glad to see that those of you who are checking in are doing well! I'm picking wayyyy too much after school and before dinner... I need to get THAT into check! Tonight I picked my way thru 5 points.... sigh! Control. Control. Control. I'm just so tired because I'm not sleeping right due to stress...I'm spending my nights sleepwalking and sleep talking and without REM sleep for 3 nights, I'm nearly dead! Sigh!

.... I'm sick of being in charge. I want my mommy! I want to be taken care of. I dont' want to have to think! Sigh.... right! See??? Aren't I inspiring?! Gonna run .... laundry...kitchen...school work...yadda, yadda, yadda....

hugs and stuff from your ray of sunshine in Coastal Va!
meeee
HatterasMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:32 AM   #82  
burned out bus driver

Morning!!!

Robyn- oh I hear you loud and clear.....naw, I don't want my mommy, just someone to do all my stuff for me.....a maid, chef, chauffeur......if I find one I will send one your way!!! Try to get to your meeting Saturday.......this weeks topic was another how to get thru the holidays kind of thing- except it focused on fast fowarding to January (when it is all over) and helping you focus on how you want to finish the next month up. Hope you can somehow manage to get a good nights sleep. That is SO frustrating......(had that problem myself about a week ago).

Pam- hey you human dynamo! Dont' you wish you had that kind of energy every day? Well, good for you getting so much done. And you get two bravo's from me for getting rid of that darned candy! When you get a chance, please type out the turtle recipe. Sounds good. BTW, my supervisor (knowing what a bad road my route is on.....and you would never think it was a bad road from looking at it!) suggested I keep a daily log of stuff that happens on it...of course most days will be blank....just helpful in the event of trouble. Started the log today...........

Okie dokie. Got a short walk in this am (1 mile) hope to get more in in a wee bit later. Doing an easy dinner tonite, so I am not cooking until after work.
Guess I'd better go.......see ya!
Ginny
Old 12-01-2005, 07:00 PM   #83  
burned out bus driver

Survived today.....have a question for my teacher friends. Can anyone recommend a great board game that encourages vocabulary? We have Scrabble and Scattergories Jr (left over from my 2 older kids, the Jr version is no longer available). Dd and I like to play board games and according to Scattergories box (the adult version) it is rated for adults. She has a good vocabulary, and is a good reader (age 9), but I would love to encourage this strength in her.....and am looking for ideas for Christmas or Bday (poor kid was born in mid December!)
Thanks.......see ya probably Saturday, as tomorrow I am spending a lot of quality time in my bus- gotta deal with one school with a half day and the others all normal schedule.........
Nite!
Ginny
Old 12-02-2005, 06:16 PM   #84  

Get an I get an amen for Friday?

I, like Robyn, am having a horrible time picking picking picking......I am also finding a few convenience foods sliding back into my life. For example, just went to Taco Bell, and last night we ate pizza. I have not excercised all week, and I don't even want to know how much I weigh tomorrow. Ughhhh.

Here is the recipe for turtles: They are one point each. I haven't tried them but my friend says they are excellent. If you like turtles, Walmart, back where they sell all the slim fast, vitamins etc...had these little two pack turtles that are one point each too. They tasted good to me. My hubby said they tasted waxy, but I liked them. They are made by Whitman's. I think they are like .88 for a two pack. I may get some to put in my Christmas stocking. Ha!

Rolo candy
Pretzels small
Pecan halves
Preheat oven to 200 degrees

Place pretzels on baking sheet, put a rolo candy on each pretzel, put in the oven for thirty seconds, press pecan half on the Rolo. Doesn't sound chocolatey enough to me, but I am going to try them anyway.

Next weekend, we have two Christmas parties one night after the other. My hubby's company is having one Saturday night. Hors douvers (sp)
and mine is Sunday night. Dinner. I ordered the chicken. So, I'm sort of dreading that......
I have nothing to wear....Maybe I will go out this weekend and find something and then that will motivate me to stay on track. Or, I will have to be extra good throughout the week because I know I am going to these two parties..... I am my own worst enemy. I was thinking about this on the way home....I am almost seventy pounds lighter, than when I got pregnant with my nine year old. How cool is that?

Sorry to be so Random.....

Have a great weekend everyone....

Pam
Old 12-02-2005, 07:04 PM   #85  
burned out bus driver

Just fine to be random, Pam.....it is, after all, Friday.
I barely made it thru today, there just did not seem to be enough caffeine in the world for me. I was so tired. And 7.5 hours in a school bus is not my idea of fun. Not even close. Kiddies were awful, time for a new seating chart.

Anyway- Pam, thks for the recipe. Here is the caramel corn.
1 tbs vegetable oil
1/2 c unpopped popcorn
1/3 c light corn syrup
1/4 c packed light brown sugar
2 tbs unsalted butter
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp baking soda
Preheat the oven to 250. Spray a roasting pan w/ Pam.
Heat the oil in a popcorn popper. Pop the corn according to the manufacturers instructions (should make about 12 cups of popcorn).
Spread the popcorn in the roasting pan.
Combine the corn syrup, brown sugar, butter and salt in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Bring to boil over a medium low heat, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat to med-low and continue boiling without stirring until the mixture is golden brown and reaches 250 on a candy thermometer, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and baking soda (watch for sputtering).
Immediately pour the syrup over the popcorn, mixing with a spatula to coat all the kernels without crushing them. Bake, stirring occasionally until the coating is dry and crisp, about 1 hour. Cool completely, then gently break the corn into chunks with a spatula. Store in an airtight container.
Makes about 8 servings- Each serving is about 1 1/4 cups. 3 points per serving.

The comment was to make this on a not too humid day and not to use air popped corn as it is too fragile. They claim this keeps for about 10 days - in an airtight container. Got this from WW magazine.

Well, this burned out bus driver is going to get in her jammies......and have some more tea. Think at this point in time I am switching to herbal.....feel as though I have not ingested any caffeine at all.....
Nighty nite.....happy weekend.
Ginny
Old 12-02-2005, 09:31 PM   #86  
Swimming Mouse

Evening all.
I'm going to get personal first, and then you guys can ignore the rest of the message...

Ginny: How about one of the Cranium Cadoo games? I've been eyeing them for my classroom, but they are kinda pricey, so I haven't take the leap yet. My kids also like Pictionary (we inherited it from another class, its not something I'd buy). We also have a game called "Roll a Word" that is like Scattergories except you have 6 different letters and one category. So, if your letter are C, B, M, W, S, and R and your category was fruit your answers might be "Cantaloupe, Banana, Mandarin Orange, Watermelon, Starfruit and Raspberry". I've never seen a big version of the game, ours is a travel version. I sometimes use it as an in-class assignment to increase vocabulary and spelling. Upwords is a nice game, like Scrabble except you can build "upwords". For computer games, I like TextTwist and WordMojo, but they might be too hard for her, and they only have you making words, but don't necessarily tell you what they mean. There was a computer version of Scattergories at one point (I have it.. got it off a box of cereal along with Yahtzee, Monopoly Jr, Boggle).
Another game that encourages following rules is the Fluxx card game. They have an adult version (nothing racy or bad in it, but it does include graphic references to death, and war), and they're coming out with a Family version. I LOVE this game, and my kids fight over playing it. This is the first time I've successfully taught my MR kids to play it. In past years, only my higher functioning ED kids have been able to learn it. I'm planning to buy Family Fluxx so my lower kids can play too... the cards will be easier to understand.
The neat thing with Fluxx is that you can make your own cards too, and personalize the game. You can see where to buy it at LooneyLabs' website.
They have other games, too, that might be good: NanoFictionary.
Michelle: Good job getting back onto your track!
Kerry: Congrats on the decision, hope it works for you and you get big heaps of money for the house!
Robyn: I've been that route (think I'm there tonight, in fact), with sleep. My kids have been real creative in terms of bad behavior this week, and I've spent the last three afternoons in the principal's office. One touchy-feely issue, one of my kids set up somebody to pick her up and just cut school; she lied to her art teacher to get out of class (art is the only class on that day that she doesn't have with me, because she had to know that I'd never allow her to leave without seeing a pass!).
Hope I didn't miss anybody. And, as I said, you're welcome to stop reading here if you'd like...
I am not sure if I should feel like a heel or not. My friend had her baby yesterday... C-section. I asked her to let me know how it was, and to make sure she and baby were okay. I never heard from her or her husband. I've been worried sick, because near as I can figure she was barely 8 months pregnant (maybe 8.5?), because she wasn't due until Christmas. She'd been absolutely adamant that she wasn't going to have a C-Section, then suddenly agreed to it. I found out Wednesday night, 11/30, right before she went in. Apparently the baby was in a bad position for delivery, although I'm not sure why they didn't try to turn the baby. I didn't ask, and don't know enough about pregnancy to speculate.
So, you can understand I've been really worried... got more and more worried without having heard from them. Then, tonight, a mutual friend sent me an email asking if I was going to be a gdmother. I replied that that wouldn't happen, seeing as how I'm Jewish and they aren't... and that I hadn't even heard that everything was okay. He sent back that he'd gotten an email from my friend's husband. I was LIVID... You have no idea how mad I was when I read that. I told my friend that I was angry and upset and confused (although not in those words)... and then went and did some schoolwork. I come up out of the schoolwork haze, and find an email in my in-box, from her husband. I'm not sure if he realized he forgot me, or if our mutual friend said something (not his usual MO). I haven't read the email yet, so I'm not sure what it is. I guess I'll go find out... but I'm not sure how I feel about the whole thing.
Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 08:59 AM   #87  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

WELL! That week is over! OVER! OVVVERRR! This school week was far, Far, FAr, FARR from a favorite week to file in my memory! I will spare you the list of the Who, What, Where, When, and WHY's of why my week SUCKED.... just know that it did! Friday evening found me under my electric blanket on HIGH! I must have fallen asleep before 7....woke up today when the alarm went off to get to my WW meeting. (The alarm stays set. I get up for WW the same time I get up for school M-F. I didn't plan to sleep all evening and night..it just happened and thankfully the alarm was still set for the week!...I would have been angry had I slept thru WW!) Missed last week's WW meeting and WI due to my surf fishing / Thanksgiving extravaganza... I KNOW that I was down from that week! And after the week mentioned above, I was a bit hesitant to get on the scale yet anxious to get back to the WW meeting to get my Brain on! In 3 weeks, the scales have registered a 1 pound loss. Um, THAT my friends nearly sucks as much as last week! So. As I put my 16 week charm on my WW keyring... I listened to the "sermon" of the day. AND I know what must be done! I know it! I really didn't forget it last week. I've got my plan in place! I just have to figure out how to keep my plan in place as my life sucks my brain and body dry.......physically and emotionally! EASY, huh?! (Gee I just realized I seem to be using the term "suck" wayyy too much in this post! Sorry! Hope you fragile flowers don't wilt... there is just NO other word for the way this week went or the way I feel! Suzy Sunshine should be my nickname, huh?! ) Ok... so my plan is set... and I've got 2 days to heal my head and get back in the game! I can NOT pay $$$ to lose 1 pound! If it is to be...then it is up to me! Today our oldest and dh will be marching in the Christmas parade with the marching band. The youngest and I will be with our school. Kiddo will be singing and playing his recorder, OMG! I will be one of the adults in charge, of course! Yippeee! We will walk a ways before the day ends! Besides it being just above freezing...THIS will be fun! This will be fun! THIS *will* be fun! (See if I repeat it enough, It WILL be fun! )

Ok...enough of my rant!

Gin, you deserve a medal for staying on a school bus for THAT many hours! GeesLouise! And...as you can tell from my astounding vocabulary (suck), I am unable to help you with your ? about game choices! Um, Sorry! I just SUCK at those games, believe it OR not! LOL

Pam, Sounds like you and I were on the same train this week! I'm sorry to say! Here's to you and me "fixing" this week! I've put on one of my silver bracelets.... to remind me of what I'm supposed to be doing! Who the heck knows if it will help my head....but it does add a special touch to my sweat suit that I've pulled on since returning from the WW meeting! Come on! We can do this!

Kerry, Hey! We miss you! Good luck with your house! This is a hard time of year for selling a house....don't get discouraged if things move slower than you'd like! You are wise to make a decision that will allow you more flexibility with your finances and life! Please don't forget to update us now and again! ((hugs))

Mouse, I'm sorry to hear that you are worried about your friend! I also know how it feels to NOT hear the big, important news from a dear friend. My oldest, and I thought dearest friend's newborn was nearly a week old when I called her to see if she wanted to go out to lunch with me...and I discovered that her baby had arrived! THAT was a huge shock and hurt my feelings tremendously! It was literally YEARS before I was able to not think about it each time I saw or talked to her. I'm over it now... good thing.... as the kid is nearing 17! It wasn't that I didn't forgive her. 'Cause I did. I held no grudge... but my heart was hurt by the whole thing.... BUT I'm over it, I tell you .....17 years later...I can still go on and on about it! sigh! LOL Good luck with your own disappointment and hurt feelings! (((Mousehugs)))

Michelle, Yahooooo for you and all of your success! You are working hard and you will be so proud of all of your results! Keep it up!!!

Hello to anyone that I missed!
I'm off to make myself a nice warm bowl of low point oatmeal! *YUMMY* hehehe! Say it and it is so! Thank you for allowing me to rant and Robyn! You know how it goes! Y'all take care! Make your plan and stick to it! Oatmeal and then this FatChick is taking it to the street! Jingle bells and ALL!

take care,
meee

Last edited by HatterasMermaid; 12-04-2005 at 12:28 PM.
HatterasMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 07:46 PM   #88  
burned out bus driver

Mouse- dittos to what Robyn said. But what I can add is that this is such a life changing event.....probably the biggest, and also (and for some it is fairly devastating) going for a C section is the ultimate defeat. Stinks for you to be out of the loop like that- give your friend some time and space as necessary (my neighbor had all 3 as sections and basically sequestered herself for 6 weeks each time....a very proud woman and I am not sure if I mean that in a good way at all). So, it could just be a bad case of C section shock....please accept my cyber hugs for trying to be a good friend to her.
Thanks for the game ideas.....think I might try Cranium- we already have Cranium Cadoo and one of their other games. Just looking for some variety.

Robyn-well, would you rather have gained a #? HMMMMMMMM??????????
Ok, I know you are not losing weight at the speed of sound, but I do believe you have lived these past few days, weeks.....and STILL LOST! Pretty amazing in my book. Go pick up that pound of butter and know that that is what fell of your body-you are doing great!!!! Look at the total- pretty awesome stuff, and you did not deny yourself. You are just living life in a more healthy manner. One thing I do is keep a large supply of no calorie drinks around for me- flavored seltzers, herbal tea (love the mint tea!) crystal lite whatever works for you. I turn to that instead of all those darned goodies.
It helps. Sorry you had such a stinky week......better days are coming! BTW- I love my oatmeal too.......

Long day. No walk. Gotta get one in tomorrow. Better go........
See ya!
Ginny
Old 12-03-2005, 11:20 PM   #89  
Swimming Mouse

Evening everybody!
Robyn: Congrats on the LOSS! That is what is important: 1 pound loss. When you get down about it, think about me, maybe... It takes me months to lose 1 pound, even with the strict diet I mostly follow. And let me tell you, I broke my diet to have a bagel the other day. I really wanted that bagel. And when I got it, it didn't taste very good at all. The same thing happened when we had our traditional Thanksgiving Day breakfast: scrambled eggs (egg whites for me), lox, bagels and cream cheese. I had a biali (think Jewish English Muffin)... and it tasted stale.
Ginny: Sorry, didn't know (though I should've guessed!) that you had the Cadoo games. Does your daughter like them? Were they worth the price? I need to replace my Life, and Payday games (my last school kept Life completely, and only sent half of Payday back in a mangled box) as well as Uno. I actually haven't taken any of my games in yet, which is kinda strange. I usually teach the kids Uno, and Yahtzee in the beginning of the year because they're great for math!
As for my friend: I'm sure the C-section was a shock; we're talking about a woman who fired who OB in her 7th month because he was saying that petite women were at a higher risk for C-section. She wanted data on that (she's got a degree in economics and math), and why the surgery was performed, and when the office said they couldn't give her that information, she had a fit and fired them. Our mutual friend finally sent me the email, so I know the basic facts about the baby at least, but I still don't know how she is doing. I guess she's okay, because I can see her husband on instant messenger. But, I really am hurt. I mean, for pity's sake, I introduced them! I was in their wedding! I was one of the first people who knew they were engaged, and who knew she was pregnant the second time! I don't understand what is going on now.
And, really, I was having enough trouble getting over my own feelings about her having a baby at all... I haven't ever really liked babies, I mean, really, my whole life. And it isn't any easier because of being pretty certain that I'll never get pregnant (okay, first I need to find a boyfriend so I can get a husband, but!).
Although I am thinking much clearer since I violated my physical therapists ban on swimming. I went up to the gym in Baltimore early, and swam for 1.5 hours... then did my exercises in the therapy pool, and taught my lesson. I'll pay for it tomorrow when I can't walk (my leg was really cramped up when I finshed!). I know why I'm not supposed to swim, but I needed it.
Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:05 AM   #90  
burned out bus driver

Mouse- gee, it sure sounds as though this friend (the one who just had a baby) has some major, major issues- anger, control freak etc.....so some anger/grief/ whatever and just normal post partum stuff seems very in line with her personality. For your own sanity, try to work thru this, perhaps read something on postpartum depression..... I mention this just to help you get over the crummy way you are feeling......not out of any sympathy for this other person. Don't think you deserve this either...Hugs. Cranium conga is ok- runs thru batteries far too quickly for my likes, however. Cranium cadoo is ok too...... I think I prefer that of the two. Dd got both of them as gifts from others.

Got my 2.something mile walk in.....eating well so far, just oatmeal and coffee. Dh and I have an 80th bday celebration to attend this afternoon.
Hope his mood improves a bit...... Plan on eating smartly but without denial this afternoon.

Gotta go shower for church. Hope everyone is having a good weekend.
Ginny