Old 07-22-2005, 08:59 AM   #1  

Default Singles Supporting Singles #5

Hello Singles!!!!!

If you are single and looking for support for healthy eating, exercise and/or weight loss, please join us. The world is often built for two and if you're looking for a place where you can hang out with other people who are single, you've found it here! We look forward to getting to know you.

Please come in, make yourself at home, and tell us a little about you. Help yourself to the fresh fruit and veggie tray there on the coffee table. We didn't figure it was appropriate to put out cookies.

If you'd like to look back at the previous thread to get a little more information about us, click here for Singles Supporting Singles #4.

Hope you'll stop by and say hi!
SheriaVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 05:30 PM   #2  

Hi everyone...yes, I'm back yet again . If you know me at all, you know this is my pattern. I do well for awhile, but then I drop off the face of the earth. Sorry for my poor posting habits, but I haven't been online for awhile. Work has been nuts and I did get away for a week long camping trip to northern Minnesota with two of my brothers and my Dad.

I pretty much tossed the eating plan out the window while I was gone. I gained about 7 pounds back. I vowed I wasn't going to go overboard with the eating and I was going to try to exercise evey day, but that went out the window with the eating.

My older brother did attempt my murder by dragging me on a 4 hour hike. He really wanted to hike up to the highest point in Minnesota called Eagle Mountain. It's really just a very high bluff, but the hike in was 2 hours of rocky, uphill paths (in shape people could probably do it in 1-1/2 hours, but I am obviously not one of those!). The way up was rough, but doable. It didn't help that it was 94 degrees and humid outside, the mosquitos and deer flies were pretty thick and I had finished my water in the first 30 minutes! I had to stop and rest 4-5 times on the way up, but I did it! The way down was worse because I was out of water, and I was tiring so I kept stumbling on the rocks (only fell once though). My brother was a saint to put up with my whining and he ran ahead towards the end to get my extra water out of the car and brought it back. It sucked, but I made it. Couldn't walk without significant pain for three days. A year ago I would not have even contemplated the hike, let alone attempted it. Next year, I may even make it without the rest breaks and whining!

Have had a hard time getting the diet going again, but woke up with new resolve this morning. Went to the Y and did my hour of cardio. Now I need to start back in with the weight training. Baby Steps!

Hope all is going well with everyone. I could promise I'll be better about posting, but the most I can promise is to try.
JanetG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 12:30 PM   #3  

A new thread!!!!

Jeez, I feel terrible….I have been reading posts, but just not posting…seems that I just get busy…doing what??? Not much of anything, but busy!!!! All is well with me…..had my physical and was told, based on my report and blood work that I am extremely healthy…..just the weight as the only issue. But the Doc said that at my age, it just is harder…..stick with the diet…1500 was her recommendation and exercise 5 times a week for an hour!!!! Holy cow!!!! So yesterday I went to the Y and walked the track for an hour…going to try again today! I have been doing great on eating…even really planning for a night out and staying with my plan! Friday night I went out to eat at Applebee’s, they have good “diet” choices, and then went to a Trick Pony concert. Last night I went out with a guy friend for pizza…planned for it and stuck to my plan, but then had a few drinks…oh well I enjoyed myself! No reason not to sick to my plan today! Just going to Target and Staples!

Janet….Oh my that hike sounds like a trek!!! And as hot as it is here!!! I usually walk outside in the summer, but once this heat wave hit…I had to go to the Y!

Lilybutt
lilybutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 02:10 PM   #4  

Janet: Good to see you! That hike sounds like a killer...congratulations for mastering it, even if it was really difficult. Next time, you'll know to take more water (or ration the bottle that you take better). It's all about doing a little better each time...and learning from our previous attempts!

Lily: Glad to hear the bloodwork is on target. Doc says exercise 5 days a week at 1 hour each, eh? That's a lot! I exercise 5 days a week and two of those days I exercise for an hour or more, but the other 3 days (the days I'm getting up at o'God thirty to exercise before work) I work out for only 30 minutes. I used to exercise longer on those work day mornings, but I found that exercising 30 mins and getting a bit more sleep was a lot better for my body and especially my mental wellness than more exercise and less sleep. It's all a matter of finding that right balance for each of us, I guess!
Old 07-24-2005, 07:18 PM   #5  

I know...... 60 minutes 5 times a week!!! and LOL

Well I know exercise really can be the key....I am 5'5" and 240 ish....wear a size XL or 18 and really, even with the weight, curvy....you know what I mean???? I have a figure.....i don't know it just is so hard to lose weight......I just feel like I am stuck at the 240-220 range. I have been here for years....so maybe upping the ante on the exercise will help....Can't promise I will make it, but I can promise I will try!

So today I made it to the Y again today.....yesterday walked 3 miles in an hour....today did 40 minutes on the bike and 20 minutes of weights. It is a start!

Sheri.....I think any activity is good, but sleep is better!!! I am not a morning person at all! I have to go to work tomorrow, been off since June 4th, and the thought of an alarm for the purpose of work is killing me already!!! Oh well it will be a trial run....I have two weeks of vacay left then back to the desk!

I will keep you posted !

Lilybutt
Old 07-25-2005, 03:29 AM   #6  

Hello Ladies,

I saw one of these posts up on Friday and thought that I'd join in as well. My name is Megan and I live on the other side of the world from you guys : South Africa. A bit of my life story : I have recently returned from living in the UK for 5 years and then went back to study for a few months last year. Am now entering my sixth month at my new job up near Johannesburg. I'm a draughtsman and work for Consulting Engineers.
I've battled with my weight for most of my life with some periods of great weight loss at times (usually as a result of stress at work or very little money while in London). I've now been doing Weight Watchers at Home for about 4 months now and the weight is slooooowly coming off. I've now come to realise that I only lose about 1 week in four and I can cope with that as long as it isn't a gain!!
I try to exercise at least 3 times a week and am doing an old version of the Self Challenge as it makes me accountable for the exercise.

Great to meet you all.
megsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 11:11 AM   #7  

Welcome, Megan! So lovely to have you join us.

I am so impressed that you're hanging in there even though your weight loss is slow...that's fabulous! I lost my weight (I'm about halfway to my goal weight) slowly as well and I happen to think that's the way to go. However, I sure understand the frustration.

I get so tired of having people complain to me about "only" losing 2 or 3 pounds a week. I would KILL to lose 2 or 3 pounds a week! They think of it as a failure because they want it all gone NOW. Well yea, we can all relate to that, but still...!
Old 07-25-2005, 07:47 PM   #8  

I'm with you guys - as long as I don't regain what I've lost, I am happy. I do go through spurts of losing 2-3 pounds in a week, but then I seem to plateau for a couple weeks while my body adjusts. If it would only come off as easily as it goes on ... I've been on this diet for 48 weeks and am down 75 pounds for an average of 1.6 pounds a week. Its alot slower now than when I started, but probably because of the lessened commitment and motivation.

I agree with the five times a week seeming to be impossible. One of the recent books I read said that it takes more exercise to keep the weight off after losing than it does to lose it. Bummer huh? I guess it makes sense with resting metabolisms, lean muscle and all that. So get used to it ladies!!! Maybe I won't hate it so much when I get the weight off and I'll want to exercise...but somehow, I just don't see that happening.

Exercise has got to become a priority again. I have had issues with depression in the past and I find that my moods are much more even when I am exercising regularly. Whether it's because of the increased control I feel or because there really is an exercise-antidepression link, I have no idea, but the blues are calling.

Hope all is going well with everyone
Old 07-25-2005, 09:25 PM   #9  
Staying present

Hi there. Welcome megsa.

Sheri: I agree... I'll take whatever loss there is!!

Janet: I'm with ya regarding exercise. It's really time to get back in the saddle. I broke my wrist 4 mos. ago and have really let exercise go by the wasteside... and my moods are better with exercise as well.

I know if will make me feel good... and lead to me looking good - so why is it such a challenge? It takes every(!) ounce of courage in my body to get out of my door to get the gym...

Hope everyone has a good week!!
wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 06:01 AM   #10  

I've found that having my exercise bike or stepper in front of the tv helps A LOT!
Old 07-27-2005, 10:35 AM   #11  

Hello…..

Doing well here….maybe not really a “good” diet, but doing okay…Yesterday I knew I was going out to dinner with a friend to a pasta bar…so I ate very sparingly during the day…..got there and had pasta with red, yellow, green peppers, black and green olives, tomatoes, shrimp and chicken with red sauce…..all in all, not REALLY that bad!!!!!

Did go buy a new pair of shoes yesterday too…walked yesterday afternoon, and ended up with ANOTHER blister and said enough is enough…..hopefully these will fit better! The last two pairs were medium width; these are wide, they felt a lot better! For 75 bucks they better be!!!!

Megsa and Wander…..I usually watch TV at the Y…..makes the time go faster!

Janet…Exercise, exercise, exercise….the doc told me that for my depression and anxiety too…jeez how can something so good for us be so hard!!! LOLOLOLOL

Sheri…..I agree…a pound a week would rock my world….anything is good!!! Sometimes maintaining is even good!!! Like I seem to be doing now! Lose a pound…maintain for a month LOL…oh well!

Everyone…you guys keep me honest and keep me going…thanks!!

Lilybutt
Old 07-27-2005, 09:47 PM   #12  

Hi everyone, just checking in and bringing us to the first page again.

Megsa - ditto on having the exercise equiptment in front of a TV. I used to play Nintendo when I was on the treadmill. I can barely walk & chew gum at the same time so I played Monopoly which required very little hand eye coordination. At the YMCA I go to, they only have two TVs and one is tuned into a news station and the other to sports, so I have been borrowing books on tape cassettes from the library to listen to. Anything to make the time go faster.

Lillybutt - any control at all at a pasta bar would be good enough for me!! Pasta is my downfall (coming from a big Italian family and a mother who was a phenomenal cook). I can't even have it in the house or it's a binge waiting to happen. Finding decent shoes can be a pain - no pun intended. I wear a size 11 and alot of times my choices are limited to what the stores carry in an 11. Certainly cuts down on the choices! And unfortunately, my feet are the only thing about me that isn't wide, so it can be a challenge. I found a new pair that I actually bought off a guy at work that I just love. They are actually a size 12, but I refuse to believe I am a 12, so they MUST be mislabeled .

As to the exercise? Just get that old Nike attitude and JUST DO IT!

Good luck all! Gotta get to bed so I can get up and "Just do it", 'Nite
Old 07-27-2005, 11:16 PM   #13  

Had a thought today…went walking outside (new shoes worked out great….still got the old blisters, but no new ones)…anyway…I was thinking about wanting to lose weight and having a goal. Now my long term, would be ecstatic to be there, goal is---190. I was up to 250 once, got as low as 130, but gained weight back and got as high as 320, then I lost 80 and have bounced up and down at the 240-235 range for months, okay actually well over a year. So I was thinking about goals and weight and diets and thought to myself “why am I settling for 190….seems that I could be down further…170? 150? 130?” ……then stopped myself cold and said to myself, in my head of course-I don’t talk to myself on my walks, only in the privacy of my home-hehehehe-“why are you thinking about a weight loss goal?….what I am doing now…eating 1500 calorie of healthy food, exercising as often as I can (trying for the 5 days a week), should be my goal…not losing weight”. So I though instead of going to bed every night ruminating about whether the scale will show a loss in the morning and waking up running to the scale…..I should go to bed every night proud of having made good eating choices,while at home or eating out, or sticking with my calories, or walking and lifting weights, or just feeling good about myself. And get up in the morning and make conscience decisions about how I am going to live that day to be healthier….just my musings!

Lilybutt
Old 07-28-2005, 04:18 AM   #14  

I've discovered that I HATE the fact of walking just for the sake of it (or for exercise)! Walking around in circles does my head in! When I lived in London I walked a lot as it was easier and often quicker than taking a bus. Now back here in SA, you can't get anywhere without a car, so now I've got an exercise bike and peddle nowhere and back three times a week!

My diet pretty much sucks this week. Fell off the wagon last night and had a small packet of peanuts (50g) and two ff brownies. Not really that bad, but also not that good! Will be spending the weekend with a friend and REALLY looking forward to it. She is pregnant and I can't wait to see how she looks! It does mean that my eating will be a bit unrestrained, but it normally is over a weekend. I very rarely manage to stay OP on Sat and Sun. Think that it's because I have no routine. I normally weigh on a Sun am, but just do it on Sun night this time.

Payday today, so am now off to bank to shift money away from me.

Meg
Old 07-28-2005, 12:23 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybutt
Had a thought today…So I though instead of going to bed every night ruminating about whether the scale will show a loss in the morning and waking up running to the scale…..I should go to bed every night proud of having made good eating choices,while at home or eating out, or sticking with my calories, or walking and lifting weights, or just feeling good about myself. And get up in the morning and make conscience decisions about how I am going to live that day to be healthier….just my musings!
Lilybutt, that is AWESOME! You know, I have been plateauing for a very long time now and it is really frustrating. But I finally decided a few months ago to look at the silver lining (that by plateauing so long, I'm learning to maintain, which is a skill I will definitely need when I eventually get to my goal) instead of looking at the frustrating (ARGH! why can't I lose weight!). It has definitely helped my emotional well-being to think of it in a more positive light. Every little bit helps, ya know?

Keep up the great work...that was one powerful thought you had!