Old 09-01-2005, 04:17 PM   #16  
MOM of 6 great kids!

S/C/G: 272/210.6/155

Height: 5' 7"

Smile

Good afternoon ladies! Hope everyone is having an op day! So far, so good for me-put the last piece of cake in hubby's lunch, so it's not tempting me today!

The challenge sounds great, not too much, can probably pass it now that I'm actually getting some exercise. For August I lost 3.5, with almost no exercise, so I think I can handle 4. Challenge for myself is no soda, 4-24 oz bottles of water and 30 min/day 5x/week. I know I can do this! Biggest problems for no soda-races tomorrow night and the fair all weekend. I did decide to not make anything for the chocolate contest at the fair, so I'm not taste testing anything!!

Mistydreamer-On one of the morning shows today they said to call your local Red Cross about donating things other than money. Brett Farve(football player with lots of family down there)said that the things they need most are things they can use immediately-water, food that doesn't need to be cooked, toiletries, diapers, formula, clothes, shoes, etc.

I remember watching a news show after the tsunami that was showing trucks full of stuff that was donated and there was a LOT of "stupid" stuff! High heeled shoes, winter jackets(temps were in the 90's), evening dresses They shouldn't allow people just to send "junk" that can't be used! It takes up space when useful things could be sent.

Well, I'm supposed to be cleaning house Why me???? No one else has to clean thier house!!! Why can't I have a maid? I'm okay-really! I just wanted to sound like my girls! But I really am going to clean the house so I don't have to worry about it much over the weekend. Hope everyone has a great day!! I'll try to check in again later!
fancyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 04:47 PM   #17  
Losing it...again!

Height: 5' 5"

Check out today's Garfield cartoon... http://toons.today.excite.com/client/exc/ga/

I think I'm going to have to print it and put it on the refrigerator!
SuzyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 05:20 PM   #18  
make your time

S/C/G: 184/184/140

Thumbs up

fancyfrog~You're doing great! Good decision on the cake--you should be proud of yourself for resisting! That soda self-challenge sounds like a good idea. I felt a lot better after I cut back on soda. I still want one, but I've noticed that the sugary-ness of it is just too much now. Drink lots of water before the races and it might help. Good luck! Once you start racking up your exercise minutes AND ditching the soda, you'll be dropping right and left!

Just fyi-Somewhere on this forum I saw a signature quote that went something like "What can I do today that I will be proud of tomorrow?" and I have gone over that question so many times and I really think it has helped me stay on track. Even little things--like knowing that I'm doing okay but also knowing that I would be really proud of myself if I did a little more or pushed a little harder... well, I just think it's been a big motivator. I'm more critical of me than anyone else, so if I can do something that will impress myself (!) then it's hard for me to avoid. Just sharing for y'all!
melra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 08:41 PM   #19  

Here's to a new month and a challenge - I'm in for the 4 lbs. and 10 hours of exercise!

I feel so badly for all of those poor people affected by the storm - I've donated money, and have been praying for them, but just feel that it is not enough...
I can't even process the whole thing... just so sad.

The worst we have to deal with here is snow/ice storms - you won't here me complain about those ever again!

Good Luck to all on our new challenge!!!!
StillTrying923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 09:02 PM   #20  

Hi everyone!

Hope you don't mind me jumping in on this thread!

My goal for september is to lose 2kg and to become passionate about exercise again - because right now the motivation has definately slackened off! Just have to take things a day at a time I suppose and keep trying!

Good luck with your goals everyone! I know we can do this.

Blyss*
Blyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 09:05 PM   #21  

Don't mind a bit and welcome to the thread! We also send out a weekly email with our weight loss ect and just keep it between us instead of the public forum. If you would like to be included, please PM me with your email addy and I will get you into my address book.
Melissa
neo98292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 09:09 PM   #22  
I hate my scale

S/C/G: 173/165/130

hey everyone!

well I had to have a back molar pulled and some fillings done so I am kinda blah feeling..
it wasn't too bad - the dentist was good- didn't feel any needles, pulls or drills but visits to the dentist are never fun.. I've got more to do in the next few months.. (scaling, cleaning, etc... ugh)

I had a really hard time with giving up my diet coke and Diet Dr. Pepper but I had to caffeine is not good for me- we stopped drinking soda and went to seltzer with flavors- it has no salt no calories, no nothing except bubbles which I missed when I gave up soda. we buy the Canada Dry lemon lime seltzer or another brand around here is La Croix lemon flavor. the flavor and bubbles helps me when I miss a soda.

^ I know I feel so bad for all those who were affected by Katrina. My one boss lived in the St. Bernard Parish in New Orleans for 8 years -did mission / ministry work there and that area was totally destroyed. I know that relief workers sent by our and other associations/states have set up and are feeding 3 hundred thousand a day..I can't imagine feeding 300 people or even 3000 let alone 3 hundred thousand.

Suzymc thanks for the cartoon. and thanks melra for the quote it make a lot of sense.. and is a motivation

Thanks everyone for support!
sandisuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 10:22 PM   #23  

Hello All
I like the challenge a lot cause it can work for those who just have a little bit more to lose and it's harder to lose a lot each month, and it good for women like me who have more to lose and if we lose more thatn 4 lbs, that's fine.
My DH is going crazy over tomatoes. Every meal must be based on them, cause there are so many and they are so good. So breakfast today was an omelet with tomatoes and basil and cheese. He had a tomato sandwich for lunch. Supper for him was ravioli and tomatoes cooked down with basil, and you guessed it, a salad of tomatoes, peppers, feta cheese. I had the salad. This will last till tomato season is over in a couple of weeks. Then our tomatoes come from far away and they usually are miserable so I will be doing tomatoes for a while. It makes him happy.
Local peaches are also terrific right now.
I just love the summer and fall, but the snow and cold are just awful. This winter I want to be thin. I would like to have enough money to be able to leave for a month and come back in March when it's almost over. We have friends who are here in the NE from May to Oct and in CA from Nov thru April. They do spend 2 weeks here in Dec cause Xmas wouldn't be right without snow. They have a beautiful house in each place. I really like that. It will never happen for me, but I can dream.
Laura
LauraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 10:30 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

Welcome aboard, Blyss! Someone mentioned measurements and reminded me this is the 1st and I have to take mine again. I did it, and OMG I have been stressing out that I only lost 3 lbs. in August...but the measurements really put what I"ve been doing in perspective. That 100 miles of exercise really paid off:

Chest down 1.5 inches
Waist down 2 inches
Hips down .5 inch
Thighs down .5 inch
Calf up 1 inch (muscle maybe???)

Rest was the same, but in all the big parts of my body aI have gone down. I seem to be losing more on the top first, which would be why I haven't dropped a pant size yet...was wondering why! This has been so motivating and I can't wait to measure again October first. Can't believe I almost forgot to do this...duh! I am just thrilled about the 2 inches off the waist I'm hoping for more next month though.

Theresa
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 10:35 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

Sandi..OUCH sorry about the teeth. Give yourself some rest then get back to it. Maybe it will keep ya from eating bad things!

Laura, I want to be thin this winter as well, but am thinking more towards next summer. I would like to be able to buy the little summer dresses and cute shorts and such that are sold in the regular women's sizes. I want to enjoy clothes shopping again, not dread it. For winter, I have some old jeans that I used to just LOVE and I want to wear them again. They are a size 16, so we'll see. Keep going, you'll look great come winter!

Theresa
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 11:05 PM   #26  

well good luck to everyone, and to thoose who lost inches and pounds whoooohoooooo

I have thought about my goals and its hittin Curves at least 3 times a week aiming for 4, at least 4 walks a week (3km) each aiming for 5, the first night I did the walk took me just about an hour like 55 min, two days ago i went and it only took me 40 minI'm hoping I can get down to 1/2 hour before weather gets bad and can't go anymore. It get freakin cold here, I figure I'm good for walking till about end of October begining of November so need to save up for that treadmill, oh yes and STOP THE PEPSI ......
I quit pepsi about 2 years ago for 3 weeks and lost almost 15lbs that stuff is bad, I know if I quit it the weight will come fast specailly with the exercise This time it will work
Ice Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 12:33 AM   #27  
make your time

S/C/G: 184/184/140

Hi Blyss! Great to see we have another on board! I was struggling with the exercise too and now I feel like I'm doing much better--i just had to push through it for a bit. Good luck to you!

Theresa~I'm thrilled about your inches lost! Congratulations!

I updated my signature for the running I put in tonight. whew! I was seriously sweating afterward, but I'm glad I did it. I think I probably only ran a little over 1.5 mi though--i ran outside and took a different route than usual so I'm not sure.

I haven't tallied up my calories, but I'm fairly certain I went overboard by 100-200. Yesterday I was actually under 1300--not sure how that happened, b/c I felt full all day. So I'm guessing and hoping that both days average out.
melra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 04:18 AM   #28  

Thanks for the welcome everyone! You're all so wonderfully supportive.

Melra - Yep i've just been trying to push through it this week at the gym. Even though I've soooo tired I've just been making myself go - which has been an achievement even if I haven't been working as hard as normal. I'm joining the aquatic centre next week so hopefully some variety will help!

I'm really excited about reaching my goal for the month!
Blyss*
Blyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 08:29 AM   #29  

Good Morning everyone! Welcome Blyss!! This is a great group, everyone is very supportive. Well, I got a jump start on the challenge(see tracker). I figured since this was my long hour weekend at work I'd better get my time in beforehand! I won't be able to exercise til monday after I wake up!!!! My goal for this winter is to be able to wear an outfit I saw in Spiegel's catalog for Thanksgiving which happens to be my birthday. The largest size it comes in is a 18 misses so that's what I'm shooting for. My DH says I can buy the whole catalog as a reward I'm not really following a set diet like Atkins or South Beach. When I did Atkins 3 years ago I ended up losing my gallbladder. Doc said it was because of the diet being so imbalanced. That has scared me away from whatever is the new craze. I basically try to keep my calories under 1300 and limit my starches and sugars. So far it seems to be working. I try not to think of myself as being on a diet. I just look at each meal and ask myself What would be a healthier choice? I always seem to sabotage myself when I say I am dieting!! I know this group will exceed this challenge. Good luck everyone!!
MistyDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 10:28 AM   #30  

Hey Pals!

I'm in, too!

Been using a LOT of excuses in the past couple of weeks. This will help me. Those you us who are in financial straights can and WILL make it. At least WE are not dead or locked up down south.

I am in radio up northeast, and right now the best 2 things to give are Blood and Cash. Food and clothing will be distributed soon. The best place to go to on the web would be fema.gov or to The American Red Cross.

I think that sending clothes, food and books - especially kids books through ages 18 - would be very helpful and I think that these organizations along with your state representitives office would be good places to find out where to send everything.

I'm happy we're all here and safe.

Bring on that Gazelle!!!!

Radiodoll
radiodoll is offline   Reply With Quote