Old 09-14-2005, 09:10 AM   #91  
KAR

Morning,
What a good night's sleep can do for a person is amazing! I still can't believe we are not having school today. This is my first year being at my current school that I am actually disappointed that we are not having school. Since I have a wonderful group of kids, I wake up each morning wondering what new and exciting things we are going to discover today. Or what challenges are we going to have to conquer together. Mind you the other three years there I loved any day we got off from school, since I had about 4 or 5 students who challenged my nerves and patience every day.
So I will use this time off to make some phone calls that I normally don't get to do until the weekend when the businesses are closed or on a holiday from school. Spend some quiet time with my dh and work on my stuff for my class this weekend.
Hope you are all having a wonderful day!
Talk to you all later.
Kerry
KAR73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 07:31 PM   #92  
Swimming Mouse

Good evening, all.

I must have been channeling you all this afternoon during the period I had my student with the high functioning autism... My TA made a wonderful check model to hang on the wall for my kids. I had checks donated by the local credit union: REAL CHECKS that they had printed for me for FREE! They'll have to write checks to access their "classroom money" and "buy" their rewards. We used real prices too that we looked up at on-line stores. Anyway, I can't climb on a desk to hang things up, so I asked the student to help one of the TAs to do it... and he totally got into helping tape it up, place it on the wall, etc. Then we chatted a little about names, because their drill was to write as many names as they could think of in their topic dictionaries. Then he did one page of independent addition, timed, without a calculator (trying to improve that fluency, don't you know??)... and we worked on his back-to-school paragraph. I'm trying to have all the students write a paragraph or similar for back to school night. For my two lower students, one of which is my Spanish only speaking child, we're doing an experience book. My TA took the two of them on a walk through the school and took digital pictures of places they go, then we put it in Power Point and they started writing sentences about the pictures. I'm translating the sentences into Spanish using Babble Fish at Alta Vista (yep, knew about that one... but it only helps for writing or if we're at the 'puter. And its not always accurate!).
Robyn: You might consider "experience stories". Those are stories that the kids dictate to you, about things they are interested in. I'm doing this with my Spanish-speaking child... his first one was about Pizza. And now we're doing one on bread since we're doing the Edmark Functional reading program/grocery store set... the first set of words are bread or related to bread: Bread, Hamburger Bun, Hot Dog Bun, Cracker, Flour, etc.
He's doing other sight words in his ESOL reading class. I really want a complete Edmark kit (preferably software!) so he can work with that too. He's got a good memory, so I think sight words are the way to go for now, with phonics instruction embedded... modeling, so to speak.
Thanks for all the ideas, everybody!
Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:17 PM   #93  

S/C/G: 176/174/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Evening Ladies

Kerry, hang in there. Everyone else "Hay."

I finally got my walk in before dinner. Dh and I took a 40 min walk (for him) practically running for me. I came back nice and sweating and hot! Then dinner was ready in slow cooker! They may be old-fashioned but they're great.

Got back on the scale this morning and the pound that I couldn't get rid of finally fled my body. The only thing I can attribute it to is the 400-500 cal breakfasts I've had in the past two days along with other larger healthy meals. I thing I was becoming obsessed with keeping it under 1500 cal when I was used to way more and more water. I'm starting the sit ups again tonight. We'll see how long that lasts.

Hope everyone is having a better evening than their day.

Tammy
Mad 4 STING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 10:55 PM   #94  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

howdee.
thanks for the suggestions about experience stories, mousie. Yep... Been there...do those! I've got a FBA meeting tomorrow to prepare for...as well as papers to get marked... (I've got ZERO moments at school to do them these days! I actually had to beg to get to the toilet...CRAZY as well as in humane! ~~NO planning time NOR any time without kiddos on my Day 1. I hate Day 1's! I guess I'm going to have to get some Depends, huh?!)

gotta hit my "to do list"....
later...
take care
meee
HatterasMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 06:58 AM   #95  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

As I type this, my favorite spot on earth, Cape Hatteras, is getting a visit by Ophelia.
Last night on the 11pm news, Route 12 (the only road in and out) had already been washed over. If you watch the weather forcasts, I am about an hour away from the dot they have called "Hampton Roads" (which doesn't REALLY exist.... it is a nickname for a huge area!) (Enough geography for the morning!) It seems that this storm is going to come about as close as it can WHILE missing us! Hurricanes have always gotten a lot of press; however, since this is the first one in this area since Katrina.... well, it has been nonstop for literally DAYS. Yesterday the lines in the grocery were unreal!

My fingers are crossed for the storm...even the "tropical storm" to stay away from us as I'm sort of certain that the tar paper and buckets that are helping make my roof of my classroom water tight aren't going to hold up well to much of any winds! While everyone down on the ground is in line at the grocery....the roofers were noted to be taking their regular breaks as well as leaving at their regular time..3 after arriving at their regular time...9:30. Yes, after 7 days of being in my classroom, I'm dreaming of being a roofer!

hey no one has gotten naked THIS week ...so far!

meeee
Old 09-15-2005, 10:05 PM   #96  

Hey!
Wasn't able to get on here yesterday. Been a crazy couple of days. Yesterday, had a female student who shortens her name because she doesn't like her full name go totally bullistic when someone called her actual name. Crying, yelling sliding all the way down in her desk.....I asked her to step into the hall, she slammed the door. Her name, by the way, is beautiful. Ughhh. Today, almost had a fight during first period between two boys who can't get along with anybody..........Managed that one too.....
Haven't killed my son yet. I talked with him. I really didn't think he would hang in college, since he struggled so much in High School. However, I wanted him to have the opportunity to try. Although I don't feel he really did try. I am not surprised. I just don't know. I hope he can get it together.
Oh, by the way. I went back to the doctor yesterday. I was still having so much pain in my face, teeth, ear. Nose running, but stopped up at the same time. He cocked his head sideways like he didn't believe what I was saying since the anitibiotic that was prescribed was the strongest possible one. I finally said LOOK THIS IS AWFUL AND I'M TIRED OF HURTING AND popping tylenol all day long every single day. Something is wrong.......
Finally, he did a sinus x ray. Well, I'm having a cat scan on Monday because my xray is abnormal, and he said something just looks wrong....Duh....I don't know....Atleast, I finally felt validated like I wasn't some hypochondriac or something. Like I actually enjoy feeling ^%&%###@#@#! and paying money I don't have ever other week to the doctor. Anyway, I go for a cat scan Monday, and then have a referral to an ENT. Hopefully, we can't get this mess straightened out.

Gotta go pack my lunch for tomorrow.
Hey to everyone.
Pam
pamisuzinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 10:25 PM   #97  

Hey girls! Seems like I haven't been on-line in forever! I sure hope I eventually adjust to this working schedule! Right now I take a nap if I ever get a few extra minutes! I am just too old for that 4:45 alarm!

Kerry - Did you catch the Biggest Loser? I am so excited to have it on again! I wish they would have told a little more about the people. Right now I like the doctor and the woman that looks Native American (I don't know names yet!). I'll probably change my mind as the personalities come out though. Congrats on the inches and pounds lost! Keep up the great work. Your DH has to stop those divorce threats, that has to be a terribly emotionally wrenching thing to hear even if he does feel sorry afterwards. I am so glad you have great students this year. Mine are pretty good too. It helps so much to have a great year to re-energize you and remind you why you went into this profession in the first place! I hope you enjoyed your day off!

Michele - Sounds like you got some good deals on your shopping trip. That always makes for a fun trip!

Pam - So sorry you are sick. My children and DH have been passing around germs and I am afraid I am finally going to succumb to them. My throat is awfully sore today. I don't know how many people have accused me of not eating since I lost my weight. In truth I eat probaby 2-3 times MORE food now I just eat healthier stuff. So how many classes did you pay for before your DS decided college wasn't for him? If you haven't killed him yet is there any hope that you can change his mind? I actually called my parents my freshman year and told them I wanted to quit (actually I think it was the first week and only band camp!!). They just told me quitting wasn't an option and I am so glad they did!

Tammy - I am glad that stuborn pound finally decided to leave you but don't be dissappointed if it happens again. As long as you aren't gaining, you are better off than you were before, RIGHT?! Especially with the beginning of school and all the stress envolved with that! I think I have gained 5 pounds this week! So do you have a swing under the Oak? That sounds so romantic. My DH and I are trying to make time for cuddling every day now. We really drifted apart there for awhile and we are trying to get back on track. I ABSOLUTELY love my slow cooker. Nothing like knowing supper will be ready when you get home!

Mouse - How high functioning is your autistic student? With my DS social stories really helped. You can use picutes or words depending on his level. You just make a little book with pages that read something like. People talk at different volumes. Some people talk loud when they are angry but some people have loud voices when they are happy too. That isn't very good but you get my drift. I also like Kerry's idea of a comfort zone area. My DS's teachers use to send him to the office to deliver a "note" when he seemed stressed. The sensory of the walking really helped him. Of course they are all so different! Really I think once he gets to know you, he will be okay. They just need to adjust sometimes.

Robyn: That's okay. I can wait for the perfect name for my cart! I am keeping my fingers crossed that Ophelia makes a speedy and uneventful exit from your area. So glad your little streaker is under control this week!

Summer/Ginny: Where are you?

I think I am finally getting into the swing of school. If I could just get eating/water drinking back under control now! Once it is part of the schedule, I do great. Of course the fact that I haven't been to WW in a month doesn't help at all. Right now between stress and PMS I have been eating everything in sight!

So what does everyone have going for the weekend? Friday night we are going to the home football game and we are invited to a bomfire afterwards. Saturday the kids bowl and my DH would like me to go shopping for a new bowling ball. I figure even though I got my ball in 1984, I have used it so little that it is practically brand new! I guess the technology may have changed a bit in the past 20 years! I was thinking though that it might be fun to look at new bowling shoes! You all know how much I like shoes! It is suppose to be beautiful up here this weekend so with any luck I will get a chance to golf! It won't be too much longer that I can do that. We did get the fees for memberships for next year and they are more than double what I paid for this year. It changed owners, so I wasn't too surprised but I am not sure I want to pay what they are asking. It sure was nice to get out as much as we did though!

Take care. I hope everyone enjoyed their week of school.

Sue
MaintenanceMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 06:39 AM   #98  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

hey. when the hurricane takes a right turn...we don't even get any rain! yahoo! (well, we really need rain...we just don't need it with 85 mph winds!)

won't be on this weekend much... i'm going out of town... you know you are old when your best friend's married (THAT was bad enough!) daughter is having a baby! (OMG I'm old!) going to her shower. my friend ann is coming from florida for the fun... so it will be a real treat for me! going up to richmond after my ww meeting in the morning ...will come home on sunday morning!

talk to you later...take care,
meeee
Old 09-16-2005, 10:05 AM   #99  
burned out bus driver

Well, this is going to have to be short...I am at the library, which means that my computer is still not done. I have only tried calling the service guy 4 times....he has not answered at all....but his assistant tells me that he is still working on it. HOPEFULLY today, I will really be back. Gosh I miss posting...and venting.....
I will not have time to respond to any comments/ I hope to read a bit while I am here and that is it. Robyn, I was thinking of you a lot the other day- worried that darned Ophelia was whopping the tar out of Va, but I have really only heard about trouble in NC. Hopefully you and Mouse and Pam (how close to the coast are you???) are fine and not drowning. Lucky us, we get the rain today/tomorrow, but we need it something awful.
Life for me has been busy, but nothing monumental. Getting back into the routine of things. Major bummer, Dd got another bladder infection-she has been antibiotic free for almost 18 mos, no infection, but with the onset of this one, I am sure we are looking at surgery. Her sono is next week (looking for scarring of the kidneys) and Dr appt is 10/2. The procedure is outpatient, and will be done at a later date (10/2 is just the consultation). So just when I thought things were going to be quiet, it gets kooky again.
Okie, dokie. Nuff from me. Hi to everyone.........hope to see ya for real soon!
Take care.
Ginny
ECmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 11:17 AM   #100  
KAR

Morning Ladies,
Sounds like we are all glad that it is Friday! I know I am. It has been one long stressful week. Yesterday my dh got mad at me for asking about his ATM withdrawal and not writing it in the checkbook. Than my students had to act up after being off for a day, so their schedules were thrown out of wack. To top off all of that, I had to go to the dentist. He fixed 5 of my 6 fillings yesterday. So my mouth is still killing me. I did go to bed early last night though and slept through the night. So today is going much better for me. I have my lesson plans and copies done for next week. Now all I have to do is write two journal entries for my math class. I have to go to a math follow-up class tomorrow an hour away from my house. So I probably won't be on here much tomorrow. Than after leaving my math class, I have to hurry home and get ready to leave for a football game for my stepsons over an hour and half away from our house. So I will be glad for Sunday to get here, so I can relax some.
Sue, yes I did catch THE BIGGEST LOSER. I taped and than watched it on Wednesday afternoon. My favorite right now would have to be the doctor too. My second favorite would have to be one female who is a cop for NY City. I am hoping that it moviates me to keep losing my weight. My TOPS group is going to have our own BIGGEST LOSER contest, starting next week. I am looking forward to starting the contest. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!
Robyn, have a safe trip tomorrow. Enjoy your time with freinds celebrating such a joyous event. Glad that you have had a great week with your kiddos with all their clothes on! LOL Good luck at WW tomorrow.
Pam, sorry to hear that you are not feeling good still. I hope you get some much needed answers from your cat scan. I will say my prayers for you. Hope you can get some rest over the weekend.
Michele, hope you are having a great week! What are your plans for this weekend? Probably can't top last weekend's plans ,huh. How is the walking going for you?
Mouse, hope things are going great with your students. That is awesome how you were able to get the one student to help you and feel so special and important at the same time. Keep up the great work! Hope you will be able to find sometime to relax over the weekend. You deserve it!
Summer, how is your school year going so far? I hope it is getting better for you. Did you get your curriculum figured out? Have a nice relaxing weekend.
Tammy, so how is the walking and sit-ups going? That was sweet of your dh to go for a walk with you the other night. Had to laugh about your comment about your dh walking and you sort of running to keep up with him. I use to be like that when I first started walking with my dh. But now sometimes he has to run to keep up with me. Hope your scales keep going down. Keep up the great work!
Ginny, we sure have missed you over the last couple of days! Hope you can get your computer back soon. Sorry to hear about your dd. Isn't the oldest or youngest one? I will keep her in my prayers. Hope you will get the answers you need soon to start her on the healing mend. Did you go to WW this week? If so, how did you do?
Well I better go and get my kids ready for lunch. Than I can have some free time from them before going outside for recess duty. Talk to you all later. I might be able to come on this evening before going to the high school football game. If not, it might be on Sunday. Have a great, relaxing weekend!
Kerry
Old 09-16-2005, 04:46 PM   #101  

Hey!

HAPPY FRIDAY EVERYONE!!!!!!!!I have a joke for you and yes it's stupid, but it's funny. Bubba and Earl were riding down the road drinking a couple of beers. Earls says " Look Bubba, it's a roadblock. We're gonna be in trouble this time for sure. " "Nah, Earl don't worry about it, I have a plan. Drink your beer, pull off the label and stick it to your forhead." "What?" says Earl? "Just do like I said and pull off the label and stick it on your forehead, I'll handle the police". Both men drank their beers, peeled the labels off and put the labels on their foreheads. They slowly pulled up to the roadblock and the police officer shined a light in the car and said" You boys been drinking?" Without missing a beat Bubba replies........."No sir, me and Earl here are on the patch!!!!!!!!!!" Ha!

Sorry, I just thought that was so cute.
I have had an ok day today. My kids were a little chatty, but nothing to major. It was funny. I have written all of these short stories that I use to introduce math concepts. I started to read one of my stories, and this boy said Oh yeah, my teacher read me that last year. I said really? That is amazing since I just wrote this.............He just laughed and said "Oh, my bad" must have been another one.

Kerry: Doens't sound like you have to much going on in your life this weekend. Busy as usual I see. I can say I have nothing planned but paper grading and maybe a little house cleaning. Yuck.

Robyn: Sounds like a fun filled weekend. Enjoy.

Ginny: I am about an hour and a half from the coast. We got a few heavy rain bands and a little gusty wind, but nothing to speak of. I was hoping for a little more rain, since we haven't had any in quite some time.
Hope you get your computer up and running.

Sue: I really knew that my son would not stick with college. I was hoping he would like it and want to go. I am hoping that later, with a little maturity, he will continue. The community college was not very expensive, but he is going to have to pay us back......Just, for the principal of the thing. I always loved school, and just could never understand why he didn't like it. But, everyone is different. I was just trying to be optimistic. We weren't shocked. I really just want him to find something, he enjoys, and stick with it.................

Hey to everyone else. Gonna go chill for a while!

Pam
pamisuzinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 11:15 PM   #102  
KAR

Evening Ladies,
Well I got my homework done for my class tomorrow. It should be interesting. I do have to tell my instructors that I have to leave about an hour earlier than our dismissal time, since I have to go to my stepsons' football game in the evening. My dh has promised me that he will have my dinner made for me, so I can eat it in the truck on the way to the football game. So we shall see if he keeps his promise or what drive-thru we go through. LOL
This evening we took my two nephews and three stepmunchkins to the football game. It started to rain great buckets when we got there. Than it cleared up for a while. By the middle of the 3rd quarter, it started to rain again and my dh said that we were going home after we rounded up the nephews and stepmunchkins. Well my one nephew decided to disobey his uncle and walk away from him. Wrong move on his part. He is not allowed to go with us to any more games until he can show respect towards my dh and I. He is one angry and hurt little 12 year-old. He basically runs the show at his house and he can stand it when he can't do that with us. So needless to say that is why I am still up when I should be in bed sleeping. He has me so keyed up right now it isn't funny.
Hope everyone had a great Friday evening. Enjoy your weekend! Talk to you all on Sunday. Don't miss me too much tomorrow!
Kerry
Old 09-17-2005, 03:26 PM   #103  
KAR

Just dropping in to say hi. Hope you are all having a wonderful relaxing weekend. I got up this morning at 5:30 and did a 3 mile walking video before getting ready to go to my follow-up Math Class. Went to class, there were suppose to be 17-18 of us there and only 5 showed up. So we got out at 2 instead of 3:30. So I was happy to come home and be able to eat with my family. Now we are getting ready to head out the door to the boys' football game. Hope all is well with you. Talk to you all later.
Kerry
Old 09-17-2005, 04:00 PM   #104  

S/C/G: 176/174/150

Height: 5'4"

Thumbs up Another one bites the dust

Hi, everyone,

Almost done with laundry! I finally lost another pound when I WI yesterday! I haven't done any situps yet though. My intentions are still there. I have increased my water intake at school even if it means running to the potty between classes (4 min & the ladies' RR is at the opposite end of the hall). I have also upped my breakfast calories (even ate at Micky D's...sausage biscuit....one day) and lowered my lunch calories while adding fresh/fruit. It's been tough doing that since going back to school, easy to do at home. I just have to pack the night before so I remember everything.

4 lbs gone since 8/10, mini goal of 8 more to go by Halloween.

Tammy
Mad 4 STING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 09:49 PM   #105  
Swimming Mouse

Good evening, all.
I guess I sort of disappeared again for a bit. I was teaching Red Cross classes on Thursday & Friday night. I got some amazing tech support at the administration building for my public school Friday for my presentation. If only the rest of the building was that helpful!!!! It was the first time I used my PowerPoint presentation for the shelter operations class, because I usually do it on overheads. Most Red Cross chapters can't afford LCD projectors, and most disaster training is done at the chapter.
My TA was out on Friday for a medical appointment, and the substitute they had for her was great. It was nice to have somebody to talk to when the kids weren't there.
Kerry: Not busy at all, are you? And you talk about me?
Ginny: Hope that 'puter gets fixed quick! We miss you! I just bought a new one since mine is 3 years old. I got an awesome deal from Hewlett-Packard, and upgraded EVERYTHING: new printer/scanner, new laptop, new digital camera... They have an academic purchase program that is really good! It cost the same for all of that as did the Dell Laptop I priced out. I'm not sure how far I am from the coast, honestly... I don't think this part of Virginia touches the ocean because of MD's eastern shore.
Robyn: I should've known that you already do experience stories. Its hardly a new idea... I stole it out of a book I read written by an elementary school teacher of kids with emotional disturbance (Torey Hayden). I wish I could show all of you "The School Book" they wrote... I printed it on cardstock, laminated it, gave it front & back covers... and had it bound at Staples this afternoon after I finished at the Red Cross. It looks awesome! I wish we had a binder at the school: I'd print more of his books that way, and we'd have a whole library of Spanish/English books in print & digital format... it'd be great for the ESOL program too.
Sue: I know about social stories, and am just stunned that I didn't think about that!!! That is such an awesome idea, I am going to have to pull him during one of his study halls (3rd period, my prep) and talk to him about it. I bet he'll buy in if I explain it to him. He reads with 4th grade comprehension, so I don't think I'll need pictures. I have Boardmaker if I do, and I have Writing with Symbols at home. I am worried about all my kids because they don't seem to be getting what they need, but I'm mostly worried about this guy. He's a senior this year, due to graduate and hasn't gotten any transition services at all. I have 2 juniors in the same boat.
I really need to find a place to swim. I'm not happy not being able to swim, and the gym I'd joined is now ignoring me so I can't even get rid of the membership. The rec center is as far away at the other gym that I liked, and more expensive! The RecCenter locally charges $63/month. And they don't provide any of the services that the gym I worked for in Baltimore did (towels, private showers, etc). Gah! The gym I joined down here is $79 a month, so not much more than the rec center, and does the towel/locker/shower thingy too. So now I don't know what I'm going to do. I can't afford to join a new gym and pay the old one: but I can't use the old one because I can't get in there during peak hours (no accessible parking), and the only thing I can do is swim laps.
Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote