Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 09:43 AM   #76  
loves kleenex box art

Immediately upon bringing the car home, DS retrieved fuzzy dice from his room and hung them over the rear view mirror.

This morning, his first morning driving the 20 miles to school, he PROMISED he'd call when he got there. Nope. I ended up calling the school to make sure he made it. He just forgot. Kids have no idea what they put their parents through, do they? Or ... do they?
Old 09-01-2005, 11:23 AM   #77  
Member w/ messiest house

Kid needs a kick in the pants -- you get him a car and he still doesn't call you when he's supposed to? Not that mine's any better. But she has somehow internalized the idea that when she has the car, she has to let me know where she is and when she's going to be home, so it's better than it used to be when I recall frequently saying "you can go there after school but only if you call me when you get there" -- in one ear and out the other. Make him do something heinous every time he forgets to call you

rant alert rant alert rant alert

I'm so p-o'ed: I've been cleaning most of the morning again; at least 2 1/2 hours, and guess what I've accomplished? I got the clean dishes and the groceries put away. Not kidding, that's it. Because what ought to be about 10 minutes of chores turns into 2 days of cleaning just to remove enough mouse poop to put away pots and groceries. Stupid freaking vermin. We've caught 3 in the past 2 days. Dead Dead Dead and well deserved. I had to re-season all my cast iron fry pans because I had to wash them with detergent. And I had to clean out the pantry for the 500th time, including wiping every freakin thing in there. So sick of this. If I get one peep of complaint from DH about not getting enough done, I swear I'm going to set off a mousetrap in his pants.

Ah, I feel better now. Thank you.

Oh yeah, and fuzzy dice are a nice touch. I can't tell you how long I looked for fuzzy dice when I got a new car back in the 80s -- couldn't find a good pair. Now don't let him think he's suddenly not a kid anymore just because he has a car. As Bill Cosby used to say "I brought you into this world and I can take you out"

Oh, and I agree with you Painty, bureaucrats who call for prayer when they could be actually helping really pi** me off too. I'm all in favor of preachers calling for prayer, but to hear politicians do it is just hypocracy as I see it. "Oh I'm so holy that the first thing I think of in a catastrophe is my sanctimonious religious posturing." A real president would get his hands dirty.

Sorry, apparently I had a little more rant to get out....

Kiwi
Old 09-01-2005, 12:24 PM   #78  
loves kleenex box art

Just pointing out that DS paid for the car himself.

I heard something yesterday about the mayor of New Orleans not knowing where his family was. What was that? Bad cellular service or something more serious. We have people here from New Orleans now. I just gave one directions to Ft Walton Beach where he's applying for a job at 3 p.m. Wish I were applying for a job .. but not THAT job. Kiwi might like it though .. exterminator.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:25 PM   #79  

Kiwi-- thanks for the rants.
You got it exactly about the difference between politicians who WORK and politicians who pray.

I keep wondering about the local "authorities"... and whether they are any better off than the poor souls who are showing up on TV... whether moaning, looting, or looking hapless, helpless and hopeless. I don't believe I would have the tenacity to get through it... I would probably just want to escape even if my escape plan didn't include surviving.

Sometimes I wonder if these events are Mother Nature's way of smacking us around and telling us to stop being so smug. So we have computers and cell phones and botox and whatever... Wind and water took it all out... and years of mis-understanding levees and erosion and (the advantages) of flooding all crash in at once.

Cow-- I once did a dramatic reenactment for my daughter about what I would go through if something had happened to her and I was left in the dark. Apparently it worked because she was always good after that about calling. I don't think she knew before that the impact she could have on me... i.e., how much she meant to me, and the "power" she had. It was dicey to let her KNOW that, of course... but it was worth it.

And DS learned to keep me posted, too. Bless his heart, when I'd let him know how much I was impacted, he'd try valiantly to maintain his integrity and independence without causing me fits!!

Pride alert:
This is yesterdays post from DD's blog... She posted a poll asking what story her (7) readers wanted her to write.
Rules of the Dinner Table
You voted, and so here it is: Rules of the Dinner Table. It's long. Go get a snack first.
The rules of the dinner table are different from mom’s house to dad’s house, of course. I wrote an entire grad school paper about different cultural communication styles based on my mom and dad’s homes, comparing the ability to move between the two as being fluent in two languages. Dinner for both parents was/is important, in that we are a close family, and do like sitting down to eat and talk together. That said, there are rules, which you would need to know about if you were to come visit (regardless of if your visit would be next week or was while I was in high school).

Here are the Top Ten:

Chew with your mouth closed. Do this at all meals. Even if you’re not at my house. Why don’t more people have manners? This could be a deal breaker for me in a new friend.
Children must drink milk with dinner. When you are the oldest and come home from college for the summer and are able to drink soda with dinner because you are An Adult, make sure to drink as much as possible, so that you can ask “Oh, I am going to get another Diet Coke – anyone want one? Dad?” And then say, “J? More milk?”
No reading at the table (unless you’re at Mom’s house or Stepmom is out of town and Dad’s new issue of Analog came in the mail that day).
Do not interrupt when someone else is speaking (if you make faces at your brothers, it is not considered interrupting, but be judicious in using this form of communication as a) your face might stick that way, b) Dad will only tolerate so many cross-eyed, stuck out tongue faces before there is t-r-o-u-b-l-e, or c) Mom will make a face back that is grosser and scarier than anything either one of you were able to pull off).
We do not answer the phone during dinner. Yes, we let it ring. Yes, it was possible (if you listened very closely) to hear the answering machine from Dad and Stepmom’s room to determine if it was A Boy calling. At mom’s house, if you stand up and begin to hop around doing a dance similar to the ‘pee dance’ yelling, “What if it is My One True Love?!”, Mom would let you answer the phone. Or answer it herself, which could send you into a fit, waiting to see if she was going to Embarrass You.
You must help with dinner. This can be cooking (which means that you don’t have to wash the dishes) or cleaning up. Cleaning up handily came in three pieces at Dad’s house: setting/clearing the table and wiping down counters, washing the dishes and scrubbing pots. Funny, there were three kids at Dad’s house…coincidence? I think not. Having clear jobs taught me more about accountability than any job. And free market economy. See below.
You can trade your part of dinner clean up. This can involve trading washing the dishes for clearing the table so that you can make the beginning of 90210 or it can involve buying your brothers candy so that they do your chores for a week. Or driving them somewhere. This works until they are about 15ish and you are 18ish, because then they have friends with cars and have learned to save up to buy their own Skittles.
Scrubbing pots blows, which is why the youngest one got to do it. Heehee.
The argument “that’s how we’ve always done it” will get the littlest brother to still scrub the pots even when he’s 23. BUT, by then he is a great baker and makes killer grilled cheese and may not make them for you if you make him clean the pots. Just a word to the wise…
If Mom lets you sing, do it. It may provide years of entertainment. For example, J and I have a lovely duet of “I Eat Wood” and “I Feel Good” that we can pull out at a moment’s notice. (The “I Eat Wood” version uses the words from Robin Williams’ version in Mrs. Doubtfire.) Still makes Mom laugh, even if we do it at Christmas dinner. We also once made a mess with salad dressing, squeezing the plastic bottle over and over, since it made a heartbeat noise. that was to accompany us in singing that old car jingle “The Heartbeat of AMERICA…Chevrolet!”

Basically, what these ‘rules’ say to me is: Dinner is important. Family is important. Eating dinner together is a way to make sure that your family knows that they are important. One of my rules, once I become a parent, will be that we must eat dinner together during the week. This may mean we eat late (dinner at Dad’s was around 8:30ish, we just said that we were oh-so-European) or that sometimes you don’t get to sit in your room and read, that sometimes dinner will only take 20 minutes…you get the picture. But some of my all time favorite memories relate to mealtime, and not just with my family:

Dinner in Venice with friends my study abroad program. We were so hungry, and didn’t know that restaurants in Italy a) had one seating and b) opened at 9 PM. We ended up staying until they closed, drinking wine and laughing. I just remember laughing, so much, and feeling like Wow. I got myself to Italy, I have good friends and am drinking wine. This is perfect. I love that feeling, of knowing something is perfect whilst it is happening.
Dinner last May with all four of my parents. Just the five of us. I had graduated, they seemed proud, they were nice to each other, and finally, four of the people I admire most were at the same table.
Brunches in my dorm in college. My college had brunches every Sunday, and they were the best. The food wasn’t fab, but we all made it to brunch, in varying stages of being hung over, stressed out, sick, cold, tired, whatever, to talk to one another and eat too much bacon. Talk about knowing your friends love you – they don’t care if ALL you eat is bacon and are in your PJ’s and hungover and had danced like a spaz for 4 hours the night before. Actually, when they applauded when you just made it to brunch, that was good, too.
Breakfasts with my mom while traveling. She and my stepdad are hot breakfast people. I love it. Nothing speaks “VACATION” more than pancakes on a Tuesday, or Stepdad’s rockin’ breakfast burritos at 11 AM.
Lobster dinners in Maine with my Dad and Stepmom. Occasionally, yes, we race the lobsters. Winner goes in the pot first, so that he does not have to watch his friends die. Morbid, I know. But I love lobster, and love the view from the house in Maine that we go to. I love that I’ve seen my stepmom drunk twice, and once was when she started talking to a lobster claw.
Fast food with my brother. I like it when we’re in the same city at the same time and he asks me to go to lunch. He’s a cool guy and I like that we’re friends. I wish we were better friends most of the time, though.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:06 PM   #80  
Member w/ messiest house

That is so excellent, Painty! She's very entertaining, and I know she must make you just beam!

Hmm, being an exterminator---That would save me a lot of money. Please pardon my rantings this morning, Peachie. You know you're in a bad mood when you can get mad at someone else's kid!

How strange is it going to be to, well, have refugees in this country? I mean technically that's what's really going on. It's kind of like whenever it was, in the 80s I think, when so many people lost their jobs and there were thousands of people living in their cars all over the country. I saw a good interview this morning about what's really helpful and what's not. You know, people wanting to know if they should open up their house to people who've evacuated and so on. They said that it would not be in their best interest for evacuees to go too far from home for 2 reasons: they may not be able to apply for the benefits they will be needing, and also there is the possibility of widespread distribution of disease. It's such a nightmare.

Gotta make tacos. Later gators.
Kiwi
Old 09-01-2005, 06:49 PM   #81  

Please send tacos.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:53 PM   #82  
loves kleenex box art

Now I feel so much better, Kiuuee. They are already planning handle an influx of these kids in the schools. Diseases. May I blame you?

DD sounds like a lot of fun. I'd like pancakes, too. Then tacos.

Now that DS is "primary driver" of his own car, his insurance is way higher. Uh oh.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:37 PM   #83  
haggy-saggy aprongutarse

This is perfect. I love that feeling, of knowing something is perfect whilst it is happeningWOW!!! painty----that was great---and that is my favourite quote from the piece-----you are so lucky to have a daughter who loves you all and totally appreciates all that goes into the blended family lifestyle! beautiful!!-----------KIWONKERS!!!! i just read a piece in country home magazine about mice and it is totally reminding me of your 'sich'{the kids used this all summer----"what's the sich -situation-} and they called everything and everyone "sketchy"---ring any bells????]AnywaY---total sympathy to you for all your bratty mice troubles---since we have three cats i haven't noticed any mice hudda this season........................----SERIOUS SYMPATHY TO PEACHERS WITH A NEWLY DRIVING KID------- i still shudder when they drive off----good for you for dealing with it----i have called manys the time to see if 'THEY ARRIVED' or not!!! i have called the ymca, to see if dd got there for a 6 am workout---i have called restaurants at 2;30 am to make sure dd's were still there---- I HEAR YA LOUD AND CLEAR!!!--- does he really have to drive TWENTY miles to school???how long does this take and is it on an interstate?????
Old 09-02-2005, 12:20 AM   #84  
Member w/ messiest house

Oh yes. Sketchy was the word of the summer here too. Didn't hear "sich", but maybe I'll start using it.

I just read the latest news out of Naawlins, and I feel like an elephant sat on my shoulders. I realize that sounds like a non sequitur, but It's just so depressing and horrifying. It makes the city sound like one of those apocalyptic-future horror movies. I think my nephew may end up being deployed in N.O. instead of Iraq.

Speaking of apocalyptic-future horror movies, did you see that London is planning on implementing some scanning device in their transit system that sees through clothing? As in Total Recall I guess?

Kiwi, horrorfied
Old 09-02-2005, 12:21 AM   #85  
Member w/ messiest house

Tacos were good. I saved you one.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:36 AM   #86  
loves kleenex box art

Thank you, Bagz, for backing me up. I am planning to do a reenactment like Painty if this happens again. It will include frantically searching the radio for a station that's talking, trying desperately to see if it's LOCAL station, and listening for accident reports. The road he takes is a two-lane county road. it's a good road but sometimes people just wanna drive fast and that's my problem.

I have not seen much about NO but just heard that there were "running gun battles." Yikesssss. Don't have those people come here. NoNONOOONO.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:48 PM   #87  

Painty, what a lovely bloggette from DD... So good to see a healthy blended family....

Kiwi.. GRRRRRR hate them meeses! Bats in your belfry was bad enough!

peachy: I hope DS will be a good driver on those dogpatch roads...don't know what is worse.. dogpatchy roads or urban/suburbian highway systems.. Perils on both..Fuzzy Dice... Heh, DH had a rubbery gorilla that he hung on the rear view in this 68 multi colored Impala that went into spasms when DH (DBF at the time) hit a bump or we "ba haad" down the beach...ah thems was the days...

Major puter glitches the passed 2 days..luckily DH is ubergeek and fixed them. Been clued to the TV watching the clusterF*ck recovery efforts in the Gulf..
Money and water sent ..trying to do what little part we can to help.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:57 PM   #88  
Member w/ messiest house

I have der ubergeek dh as well, schatzi. Well, he's not quite 100% computer nerd, but he's been putting together puters for decades, and I usually make him fix things when they go haywire. I am good at problems on how you use software, i.e. I'm good at telling people what to do. But when the word motherboard comes up, I go take a nap.

I should go back to my house-swamping. I haven't made much progress even though I have been at it every day just like a good little Susy H. I have found some very cute stuff, some of it 10+ years old. The funniest thing I found is scanned below (I'm going to have to add it later--puter's being difficult) -- apparently dd's first "musical" composition. It took me quite a while to figure out what it was. Then I realized it was notes about banging on pots and pans and glasses.

Kiwi
Old 09-02-2005, 03:47 PM   #89  
loves kleenex box art

there is nada scanned below.

This morning I kept hearing trucks blowing their horns. It mighta been cars but sounded trucky. There were 4 then 6 then 10 or 12 and I had to go out and see what was up before I allowed DS out on the road again. Next door was this child I've never seen before. She's blonde, plump, probably about 8 and everytime a vehicle passed, she waved her arms wildly and jumped around. The trucks were all saying hello back to her. And waking me up.

Still lots of "refugees" here. They're enrolling their kids in school, looking for work, all that. You just to get glad they out of there safe & sound and you got to hope they're nice people if they're staying here.

I saw the most beautiful family yesterday. Muffie will tell me I'm racist again ... is she lurking. Anyway, this Mexican-looking man was at the computer with his preschool son, watching the son play child-computer-games. Very cute. Then there was a little gradeschool girl (his dd) asking the librarian for help finding a certain author in the Young Adult section and another gradeschool girl in the children's section immersed in a book and completely ignoring conversations going on around her. They were beautiful children. Yay for him.

I have been to 2 interviews today. Nothing happened. Neither job would be perfect but I'd take either. For a while. One asked me 100 different ways (verbally and written) if I think stealing from an employer is ok. Have I ever seen anyone steal from an employer? What would I do if I did? Do I think using marijuana on weekends is ok? Is it ok not to come to work if you have a good excuse? Do employers have insurance becuase they expect employees to steal?

DS just called to say the bus service to his school has been stopped becuase of fuel shortages. Got that car just in time. Sort of miraculous as I considered and was urged by several to get him to change his schedule so he could take the bus and not need a car.

Bye.

I am making my own tacos soon as Kiwi's are stale. Why are Kiwis ALWAYS 3 for 99c. ALWAYS EVERY SEASON THEY ARE HERE. Why?????

Last edited by Cowpernia; 09-02-2005 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:02 PM   #90  
Member w/ messiest house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpernia
there is nada scanned below.
Now there is.
Quote:
They're enrolling their kids in school, looking for work, all that. You just to get glad they out of there safe & sound and you got to hope they're nice people if they're staying here.
I'm sure most of them are terrific people. Too bad a few stinkers make everybody so cautious about the rest of them.
Quote:
They were beautiful children. Yay for him.
They sound lovely. I agree with you.
Quote:
One asked me 100 different ways (verbally and written) if I think stealing from an employer is ok. Have I ever seen anyone steal from an employer? What would I do if I did? Do I think using marijuana on weekends is ok? Is it ok not to come to work if you have a good excuse? Do employers have insurance becuase they expect employees to steal?
That is so offensive. For most of them, the obvious answer is "why are you asking me?"
Quote:
Why are Kiwis ALWAYS 3 for 99c. ALWAYS EVERY SEASON THEY ARE HERE. Why?????
Because that's my price, that's why. And I am always in season. Hmm that doesn't sound quite right...

Kiwi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drumsolo.jpg (32.1 KB, 16 views)
Closed Thread