Old 09-16-2005, 03:25 PM   #151  
~*~ Melissa ~*~

Quote:
More than anything, we struggle in keeping our relationship somewhere above "roommate" status.
That is sooooooooo true here too!

As for cutting calories and such I'm with jawsmom, you have to allow yourself these simple pleasures but in moderation not just in portion but in frequency. And of course then watch you intake the rest of the day, don't have a southern breakfast followed by fried chicken for lunch and cube steak and gravy for dinner.
my3suns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 04:05 PM   #152  
Southern Gem

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3suns
don't have a southern breakfast followed by fried chicken for lunch and cube steak and gravy for dinner.
What's funny about that is that my dad's bring home KFC tonight!
rubyblushu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 05:51 PM   #153  

S/C/G: 223/193/123

Height: 5'0"

Hi Sarah -- nice to have you here . I don't think you can cut calories on that southern breakfast meal . It would be something we only have every once in a blue moon and usually it would be for dinner or maybe it would be something we would have while visiting my mom. Those biscuits sound good -- I'm on South Beach so yummy kinds of bread like that are a no-no for me. I can't have just one. Actually, for me most processed carbs just make me hungrier and make me feel bad if I over do it. Still... a biscuit would be good right about now... . So, what have you been doing so far to lose your weight? You have made wonderful progress so far!! Way to Go!

I really miss going out to bars and just hanging out with friends. My brother is a musician and it was always so much fun to go hear his bands play. There were always the same forls around and everyone had a great time. I always loved live music and a smokie bar. Bryan and I go out very seldom. Maybe to a movie here and there. We went out to dinner together back in February... man that's a long time ago. We have maybe eaten alone one other time since then. We have not been onthe same page since Logan was born in March though. My weight really gets to him and he blames all our issues on it. Another story for another time though...

My SIL talked to me about the Y and their gym and personal trainer programs. She goes several times a week and really enjoys it. I was a bit suprised at how much it cost but she told me that they have a scholarship program where you can qualify for free or reduced cost memberships. I have downloaded the form to fill out and I hope to have it in the mail by Monday. I hope we can qualify for it 'cause I think the kids would love it and I would absolutely LOVE to get back into a gym. Working exercise int o my day with the boys has been hard and I never seem to get my heart rate up for very long. Do any of you know about the YMCA stuff or their scholarship programs?

I really should be in the kitchen figuring out what to cook but I don't want to have to cook anything at all. I get tired of figuring out what everyone will be happy with. I think the kids just want popcorn anyway . I can handle that for them. Maybe Bryan will eat cereal??? Hummus and crackers for me would be good. I want something easy that doesn't require a stove or effort.

You lovely ladies have a wonderful evening!!!!!
Sweet Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 09:22 AM   #154  

Height: 5'1"

Good morning all, It's a wet, cold day here in Michigan. We had plans but they included dry weather, so I guess we will have to change then. Maybe lay around the house all day and do nothing. Sounds good to me!

As for the big, southern breakfast. I was raised on meat, eggs, gravy and biscuits every day. Truthfully, I never liked it, especailly the biscuits and gravy. My family swears I must have been adopted. I don't like biscuits at all!!!!! I can eat gravy with cornbread. But, my husband loves it and I do make it for dinner occasionally. When I do have a big calorie meal that I love I just have very small portions. You can't deprive yourself of everything or you will end up pigging out! At least that is what I would do.

Have a nice day, Freda
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 12:05 PM   #155  

S/C/G: 223/193/123

Height: 5'0"

Afternoon all

Freda -- sorry about the rain changing your plans. Having a relaxing day sounds wonderful!

My Dh is having to work all day today so it's just me and the kids. Logan is taking a nap and I really need to get the other two cleaned up. We have had a lazy morning too. It is pretty hot here so I am not really inclined to taking the kids out to play in the yard. The grass needs to be cut again so that we can treat the ant beds in the front yard. I can't stand fire ants and the kids are not really good at watching out for them.

We are supposed to go over to my in-laws later today to have dinner and let our dd spend the night. They live about 30 minutes away in the same town that my dh works in. I think he is just going to go there after he leaves work. For some reason I just don't want to go. I actually don't want to go anywhere really. My low self esteem/confidence is in full force today for some reason. Kinda weird since I have been doing so well lately. Maybe it's just capping off my long week. Some sleep would be nice . I should be happy that someone else is going to help me entertain my kids for a little while and I won't actually have to cook a meal. That is actually pretty fantastic -- I am so tired of cooking and being responsible for feeding everyone everyday. Having someone cook for us one night is a nice relief for me. I need to change my attitude to be more positive about today. Ok, I'm rambling here... the kids just aren't good to talk to today and I need soem adult time .

How much water do you all drink in a day? I try to get at least 64 oz in as a minimum. Around 80 to 100oz is typical for me if i am not out and about running around doing errands. I also have a cup of coffee in the morning and maybe 3 times a week I'll have a diet soda. I have only made tea with splenda for myself maybe 3 times in the past month. Feels weird!

Off to fill my water bottle and put together lunch for the kids... Hope you all are having a good Saturday.

Hugs and Love! Sara
Sweet Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 02:54 PM   #156  

Sara, I don't drink a ton of water. I usually go through a sports bottle worth while I'm working out and I'll have it with lunch or dinner every now and then. If I'm actually thirsty, I'll get water instead of diet coke or tea.

Drinking more than that has never made a difference in how I feel over all or helped with my weight loss. It has never curbed my appetite or anything like that either. In fact I really dislike that sloshing feel I get in my stomach if I drink a lot of water without food. I keep an eye on my urine - as long as it isn't too dark I know I'm getting plenty.

I don't feel guilty about it because lots of recent studies have debunked the notion that there is any benefit to drinking large amounts of water. They seem to think that the original recommendation of 64 oz. a day is about right but that the water in food, coffee, tea, etc. counts towards that total.

I'm not trying to talk you out of drinking it - a lot of people swear they benefit from drinking a lot water. I just happen not to be one of them. No sense forcing something down if it isn't going to make a difference for me anyway!
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 07:26 PM   #157  

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Hi. I hope yall don't mind if I jump in here. My names Tina. I'm 23 and from North Carolina (born and raised). I think I started noticing my weight issue in high school. At one point, shortly after graduating, I did manage to lose 80lbs and get down to a semi-managable weight. I was still overweight, but not this bad. Anyhoo. I kept that weight off for a while somewhat until I got into a car accident, thats when I really put on the pounds. Today I'm at 249lbs and I'm 5'4. This is week one of my new healthier lifestyle. its taking a bit to get used to. I started walking yesterday with my boyfriend. Its so humid, but I make myself cuz I know I need to.
My vice...PEPSI. I used to drink it like water. Now I've been drinking watered down koolaid with splenda (i dont like our tap water, tastes funny). Another vice...Id have to say just food in general. I don't know. I guess I just sorta eat to eat. Still tryin to find things to do to distract my mind, since I'm currently unemployed. I try to keep myself busy looking for a job and whatnot...
Tina
SillyFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 08:08 AM   #158  

Welcome Tina, And good for you for taking that first step. Walking is great exercise and as you get fitte you can increase the distance and time. It's the one exercise you can do almost any where/any time. And we all have food issues here! That's why we're here. Sorry to tell you this girl, but ther is no easy solution! You can't just "want" to do it, you have to just "do it". I find if it helps if I keep a journal and record every thing I eat. Yes, everything! Every bite, every french fry, every thing you put in your mouth. It is a big eye opener sometimes to see how much you eat. Keeping a journal also gives you something to do. What play are you using? Actually, almost any plan works if you stay with it. I think some are healthier than other. WW teaches you how to eat and portion controle, but so does South Beach. I don't care for drastic low carb diets. I dont think they are healthy. You will work out what works for you.

Good morning every one. It's a wet, cold day here in Michigan. How about where you live?

Sarah, hope you had a good time at your in-laws yesterday and some rest. I know the kids can be a handfull sometimes. Heck..all the time! But, they grow up and go to school! Yeah!

Everyone have a good day, Freda
Old 09-18-2005, 12:08 PM   #159  

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Well for this first week I'm tryin to control my calorie intake. SO I guess we'll see when I weight myself on monday if it helped any..

I didnt get to walk today. It was so yucky humid out. So I did 5 miles on an exercise bike in 23 minutes doin 14mph. Counts for something eh?
SillyFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 04:15 PM   #160  

Boy is this a blabby group! I can't get in to this thread everyday to post and when I come back, I have to go through a bazillion posts to catch up!

Here goes with some of the stuff you guys talked about:

Breakfast change:

turkey bacon, egg beaters, NO grits and lowfat buttermilk biscuits (I have the recipe if anyone wants it)! better yet, skip it all and have yogurt!
(as for the gravy, I make it with 1% or even skim milk and lowfat sausage from Jimmy Dean for my dh once in awhile)

As for marriage, Ok, don't boo me here, but I have been married 33 years in Nov, my husband is a doll doll doll and calls me gorgeous instead of by name. At least a 100 times a day tells me he loves or adores me and in fact just a few minutes ago leaned over me and said, "Do you have any idea how much I adore you?" He married a chubby 185 lb woman who is like 340 lbs now and still thinks she is absolutely sexy. He, like all men can be a pain, but to tell you the truth this menopausal pain in the butt is no picnic to be married to some times either! I really feel saddened for you ladies who have troubled relationships. I have a sister who has been married a year less than I and they are both so self centered they neither one consider the other for a moment. Their life revolves around MONEY! I guess because until 3 years ago we didn't have a pot to spit in (cleaned it up just for you gals ) we learned to wade through the hard times TOGETHER. Believe me, living on an enlisted man's military pay is like being at poverty level and we did that for 20 years!

I may be an OLD BIG gal, but I am a flirt too! I guess it is just inborn in us females. I love the little bit of good attention I may get occasionally from men.

We are lovin' our dsl. We had a devil of a time getting them to shut off crummy AOL though. It is in Jack's name so he called and spent 15 minutes trying to get the jerk to cancel and give him a confirmation number. He finally told him if he didn't quit the sales pitch to try and get us to stay and give him a confirmation # in 10 seconds he was hanging up on him (the guy refused to give him his supervisor) so Jack hung up on him, I went online and logged into AOL from my dsl and low and behold the e-mail with the cancellation was in Jack's old mailbox and had been in there from about 3 minutes after Jack gave the guy his info! As the moron signed the stupid thing, I am contacting AOL and giving them a piece of my mind about it all. With that being said, BEWARE OF TAKING AOL AND THEN TRYING TO GET OUT OF IT!!!! I checked yesterday and thank goodness they did cancel us.

As for books, I read a bazillion. Janet Evanovich is a hoot big time, Sarah Stroymeyer is funny to with a beautician names Bubbles Yablonsky who wants to be a detective, funny stuff, I like Jeffrey Deaver (he is an absolute doll and will e-mail you back if you e-mail him about his books), Stuart Woods (great books, but a jackass of a person), Robert B Parker (these are the Spenser series, the older ladies probably remember Robert Urich in Spencer for Hirer on tv years ago), Some of Danielle Steels stuff, Nora Roberts when she writes as JD Robb, Dick Francis (these are horseracing mystery novels that are great) until he retired, I am Harry Potter addicted and have read them each at least 6 times, Lisa Scottolini, David Balducci, Sara Paretsky (VI Warshawski is her character and Kathleen Turner played her in a movie a few years back), Edna Buchannan, Patricia Cornwell (these are medical examiner thrillers), and I could go on and on. Most of these people, write series books and I love series books. Too bad we don't live closer together we could get a book club going as long as I don't have to read any of the junk Oprah suggests. I do NOT READ to become more socially conscious nor do I go to the movies to learn something from them. If I can't read something for enjoyment, I don't read it! My soapbox statement for the day!

Well girls, need to check my roast in the crockpot. Oh, for those of you who occasionally want or need a recipe that is something in your favorite restaurant, here is the website for it. copykat.com I don't want to put it as a link.

Have a great Sunday girls. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 10:28 PM   #161  
Southern Gem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Tea
Hi Sarah -- nice to have you here . So, what have you been doing so far to lose your weight? You have made wonderful progress so far!! Way to Go!
Thanks! Mostly I just watched what I ate and exercised. Cutting out a lot of coke helped (I love Coke). I still drink one (or less) a day. I just can't give it up completely. I'm sure ya'll understand.

I also focus more on eating healthy. Or, at least as healthy as I can.

If only weekends weren't so hard! At work, I can control what I eat, and mostly at night too. On the weekends, though, I tend to mess up some.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:59 AM   #162  
~*~ Melissa ~*~

WHEW I missed a lot this weekend, huh? Short on time but wanted to stop in and give quick "hi". Chris and I were at Nopi Nationals all weeekend. Placed 1st, 3rd, and 4th in 3 different comps. I'm so looking forward to our next show now and I think this was super for "us". I'm also looking forward to starting on my own car now, woohooo! Got tons of walking in, lots of water, and only a few small (not too unhealthy) meals. Gotta get on track this week, next year I'm sportin' a NOPI CHIC tube top.....or at least it's my goal!
my3suns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 11:12 AM   #163  

Good morning everyone, Looks like everyone pretty much stayed on the right tract this weekend! Glad to hear everyone is doing so well! I did ok too, could have been better. On the weekends I have so much trouble drinking enough water. I drink coffee all day because my husband does.

faye, I could have written that book list! Most of my favorites were in there. I have read a few Dick Francis and never really got into them, besides that, those are my favorite authors. I read all the time, plus listen to book tapes when I walk!

Got my walk in this morning. Went to meet a friend and we walked around the lake. It was so beautiful this morning.

Make it a good day!
Old 09-19-2005, 01:55 PM   #164  

Freda: Just finished Lisa Scottolini's new book, Devil's Corner, am almost finished with Jeffrey Deaver's The Twelfth Card, just finished Nora Roberts, Origin in Death, should get two more today, one called Hot Number and the other one The Thing about Jane Spring, both of which look cute. I also just ordered Parker's School Days, Cornwell's Predator, Woods, Iron Orchid, which is his Holly Barker character, and Balducci's The Camel Club. Nothing like spending ALL your money on books is there? BUT, I can read one a day so in between knitting when the old hands start hurting, I read!

Melissa: Congrats on your wins this weekend!

Sarah: Weekends are the pits, aren't they? I am home alone all day, then cook a meal for dh and I that is good for us, then the weekend comes and we go out to eat and screw around at home and eat junk! It is stupid, but that is something the two of us have to work on.

I have one knitting project, my dgs scarf done, the blanket almost done, his hat almost done (the almost dones need more yarn SIGH!) and yarn to start my ddil's scarf, but need to finish the blanket to use that size needles! That durn blanket has been the bane of my existance!

Better go see about the mail and see if my books came. One of them is a soapmaking book so I am excited to be starting that too! I think my son is going to get me candle making supplies for my birthday, which is a week from Wednesday so I will happy as a pig in slop for awhile!

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 03:35 PM   #165  
Southern Gem

I think one of the bigger problems with the weekend is that many of us do special things on the weeken. Like last weekend, I went to a slumber party at a friend's new house to celebrate the move. There, I ate plenty of pizza, oreos, and cheetos. And then in the morning we made lemon blueberry muffins, and I WAAYYY overdid it on those!

There just always seems to be a "just this once, it's a special evening" on the weekends.