Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 10:05 PM   #1  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Talking 21-Day Challenge!! -- the fun continues!!!

Okay, everyone, I'm starting up a new thread because I got through my first round of 21. At last!! Considering that I started this challenge up on May 25...that was a very long three weeks! But, you see, going back to Day 1 was kind of a thing I did a lot!

So, just for the heck of it and because some people may have trouble downloading a long thread, I'm starting this new one. Below is a short explanation of how this challenge works so all you newcomers can take a look and decide if you're game or not! I hope you are! Hop aboard and enjoy the ride. We've got a great bunch of supportive people, so I hope you'll give us a try. I see, looking back on the beginning of the old thread, that we had a lot of people who tried for a while and then disappeared. I hope some of you will give it another try. Remember, it's not over till you give up. And our motto around here is:

NEVER GIVE UP!!...Just start OVER!!

EXPLANATION:

It works like this: you decide you'll do something for 21 days straight, every single day, so keep it doable. Then you count ....one through 21.....and if you flub it, you MUST go back to zero and start over again. Everyone will be on different days. You can start anytime. You get ONE free day for each perfect round of 21 days you complete. I suggest taking it late in the game (better to go back to Day 1 early on) if you need a break or screw up when you're well into the challenge, meaning, when you're on Day 15 or something like that.

In any case, the trick is to keep going. The momentum builds and it's great incentive to stick to your guns, cause if you don't.........back to START you go. And the really great thing about this challenge is that you are forming new habits that will wipe out the old! AND, you get to do it with a great bunch of really supportive people to whom you are accountable! And, YES, we are watching YOU!!

Ready to join us!!?!?! You BET!

Last edited by redballoon; 07-25-2005 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:28 PM   #2  
Never give up

Smile busy, busy, busy...

Bumping up the new thread so you all don't get confused. Be sure to go back and check out the latest posts on the old thread because we had a lot of action and newcomers and I wouldn't want anyone to get left out. Curly made us a great flashing "21" as well (she'd made one before but lost it!!) So, fresh starts and second winds for those of you still rolling along. Good luck, everyone!!

Caro -- Thanks for the reminder about starting up a new thread. That's why we're here now! And congrats, congrats!! on making it through your first round of 21 days!! I hear you on the boredom. Anyone's plan can get tedious for coworkers and family and friends I suppose. How many times can you tell someone, "I drank my water today!" and expect cheers and pats on the back from them. BUT!!! Here you can! That's the beauty, the beauty of US! We know the hard part's not in the doing, it's in the KEEPING DOING. And we're keeping doing! Caro, I hadn't realized you'd made not getting on the scale part of your challenge till I re-read your post. Good for you, but it may be tough. I suggest stashing that scale somewhere, in a box with a rope around it or something, anything to make getting out of it easier. There was one woman on here who had her husband hide it for her except for her weigh-in day. But, also, remember not to get your expectations too high for weigh-in day. It's just another day. Chances will always be there that you showed a couple pounds' loss the day before but not exactly on weight-in day. So be careful! And, good luck!!

Curly -- thanks for the cool flashing "21" I'm glad you made another one. Store this one away somewhere so you don't lose it and you can whip it out and be our official award presenter when someone clears the finish line!

Java -- Heh, I'm with curly on counting your walking as exercise. In any case, you MUST get back in here with us toute suite!!!

1nceagain -- Love your new and improved version of "piece of cake!" Yes, our days will be bowls of sugarfree jello! Oh, and by the way, for the record, our star challenger is curly. She's on her SECOND round of 21! I like how you're planning ahead. That is key to success. Good luck!!

Legally -- Glad to see you over here from Basics. As you can see, I'm kept very busy with this thread and just haven't had time to be posting elsewhere. Your challenge is a triple whammy! Wow!! You sure you want to start out so tough?! Well, it's up to you. Good luck and hope to hear from you often!
Old 07-25-2005, 11:15 PM   #3  

Default Monday night

Hi Ladies - glad you started a new thread Red. Since you started the new thread, I have to repeat my new challenge again - I am participating in the week at a time challenge so I need to remind myself which challenge is for which thread For the next 21 days I am going to track and maintain my weight watchers points. My "bonus" goals (not counting for this challenge) are to drink my water (96oz - 24 over WW requirement) and exercise in some shape or form everyday.

This is Monday and I had a 35 minute walk this afternoon and I am gulping down my last 24 oz before bed. to you all this week!
Old 07-25-2005, 11:48 PM   #4  

Today was day one down with no prob. For now I'm using the same goals as for the week-at-a-time challenge: no wine or chocolate bars. 20 days to go!

Do I get a free day DURING the first 21-day period, or only after it's done?

Carla

Last edited by carla49; 07-26-2005 at 12:18 AM.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:52 PM   #5  
Never give up

Exclamation free days start the first time!

mscat -- good to see you over here. Yes, good idea to restate your goals, actually as often as possible.

carla -- you start out with one free day. It was a new rule I made this past time. (A long time ago, I used to do these challenges that a 3fc person called Amarantha had started.) It helps people make decisions, the strategy is knowing when to take your free day and that choice is empowering. That's why I added the new rule. Doesn't that just make you feel better!?

Last edited by redballoon; 07-25-2005 at 11:55 PM.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:12 AM   #6  
I CAN do this!

Ok, After reading the rules I'm restating my Goal!

My Goal is to exercise every day for 21 days for at least 30 minutes!!

I do have one question though, if I have a free day from the first 21 days that I don't use, can I pull it over to the next 21 days? (then I'd have 2 free days?)
Old 07-26-2005, 12:17 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 265/262.2/190

Height: 5'10"

Day one down for me. Honestly, what I ate today wasn't as healthy as it should have been, but I kept my calories down. 1300 right now and I am not going to eat anything else tonight. I need to make it a priority to eat fat-free dairy products and fruits/veggies BEFORE reaching for stuff like 100 calorie packs. They're lifesavers for me and my sweet tooth, but I've started to get into the bad habit of choosing those instead of healthier foods, so I'm going to try to get back into choosing fruits and veggies or low fat/fat free dairy first. Limiting calories is good, but making sure they come from the best foods is better, right?

20 more days to go!
Old 07-26-2005, 12:23 AM   #8  
Never give up

Cool and the ruling is.....

Legally -- Okay, glad you nudged your challenge down a notch. It would have been really hard doing what you were doing. Not saying you couldn't do it, just think it's good you eased off and went a bit gentler on yourself. Like mscat has her "bonus goals" I am going to do similar, what I will call my "training wheels," which are things I would like to do and will try to keep a tab on but I'm not quite ready to commit to yet.

And, good question with the free day carry-overs. But, as official rule maker around here! I gave it good thought and am going to say no, you can't carry it over. I want people to get away from the perfectionist kind of thinking that is and can be the ruin of so many of us and our good intentions. You have to ease off some times. And if you don't, well, you don't get any brownie points for it! However, with each completed round of 21, you get another free day anyhow, so you will have two free days when you start Round 2! Okay?

Last edited by redballoon; 07-26-2005 at 12:30 AM.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:27 AM   #9  
Never give up

Talking we have liftoff!!

gray eyed girl -- for you on getting through Day 1! You're so right on the good food over bad, and I'm glad to see you're thinking of that. A calorie is NOT just a calorie. I used to give up sugar on these challenges and never lost weight because I would eat tons of brown rice and wholewheat pasta. But, it was okay because the goal was getting rid of the sugar (I did lose the fat around my belly though) and I was healthy! That's why this time I've been trying to make it a more rounded challenge, which was really hard. But, you start with what's hard for you. Good going and good luck!
Old 07-26-2005, 12:31 AM   #10  
I CAN do this!

Day 1 down for me as well

Congrats Grey Eyed Girl! Doesn't it feel great?!?

Thank you for clarifying Red!

Ok, since my post is already choppy, I'm off to bed!
Old 07-26-2005, 12:40 AM   #11  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Congrats to Mscat, Caro and Red for hitting the big 21! You go girls...

And I love the new 21 Curly, thanks for making it for us.

Sorry I haven't posted. My DH's computer went out and he always seems to be on mine just when I want to get on it and I'm trying very hard not to get to bed way too late.

Good thing we are starting a new thread as I have to reset back to Day 1. I had hot dogs on Saturday (which I planned for) but then wound up having pizza on Sunday (which I knew I didn't need, shouldn't have and I ate it anyway). It tasted good but 1/2 hour later made me feel really junky the rest of the night. I need to get past this once and for all. It's sort of funny Red how you said you started this in May and it was a very long "3 weeks" to get to this point for you. It puts it in perspective as to how easy it is to lose sight of the goal or give in to temptations, circumstances, feelings, whatever comes along.

The turning point for me was realizing just how badly the wrong foods made me feel. So today dawned new and I was ready. I drank my water, ate well and got in a good swim after work. Though I have to admit at one point the temptation of chocolate was much more interesting than the apricots in my snack bag. But I resisted.

My challenge is to make good choices about what I'm doing for myself over the next 21 days. I may not be perfect everyday but I need checks and balances and 2 days of sliding down resets the ticker because that is my biggest challenge of them all - doing well for a while, and backsliding and undoing all the good of the past.

Good to see fresh new faces along with the reliable old guard.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:42 AM   #12  
The one called Physh

Arrow movin on over. . .

ok chiickas,
Just re-stating my goal and progress for the new thread.

21 days on SBD-no cheating!
in day 2 right now.

Old 07-26-2005, 06:56 AM   #13  
Never give up

Red face still deciding....

Hi, all. I'm still deciding on my challenge. So far today, I have done all but one of the things I am seriously considering, so I can still call it Day 1 when I decide. Or, I'll just start tomorrow. Bear with me...

Legally -- Congratulations on getting through Day 1! I'm glad you feel good about it. You should!

1nceagain -- You too! Good going on getting through to Day 2!

happy -- Hello! Glad to see you. I was getting worried there. And, thanks for the congratulations. Hope your husband gets his computer fixed soon.

Yes, it took me a long while to complete my first 21, but I did have a lot of "good" day. I would get up to 5 and then go back, and 5 again. Once, I got up to 14 and then went back, so I really did like two rounds already! But, like you said, it is oh so easy to lose sigh to goals. Even after a few hours! I'm really glad you've reached a turning point and so happy to have you with us! Good luck. Even if you do give in to temptation at some point, just start over. You are still way ahead of the game!

Last edited by redballoon; 07-26-2005 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:44 AM   #14  
On My Way...

Day 12 done...
Old 07-26-2005, 11:29 AM   #15  

Day one for me again. My goal is going to be

CURVES at least four times a week
WATP at least twice a week
WATER WATER WATER
NO drinking

Wish me luck girls. Hope everyone is doing good. Back to work for now. Bye
Closed Thread