Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 12:29 PM   #61  

Painty, so, so good that the chemo isn't making you feel sick. It must be all the good cow vibes we're all sending your way. and the miracles of modern medicine too.

Schatzi, our next door neighbor has a wine grape vineyard. He sells most of his grapes to a winery, but keeps part of it for u-pickers. It seems to be the latest do-it-yourselfer project to make your own wine. And I went for the simple on the party - the menu was burgers and dogs, pasta salad, broccoli salad, potato salad, fruit tray, veggies & dip, and carrot cake. Oh, and beer, wine coolers and lots of pop. We had about 45 ppl and we have enough food left over for another 45. Weather was perfect, and the party lasted from 3:30 to midnight. We finished it off with late night hot dogs and s'mores around the firepit. If it wasn't so much work I'd have a huge bbq every weekend. It made me so thankful to have such neat friends.

The big news here is that DS and his bride to be have had an offer accepted on a house! It's absolutely perfect and adorable. Complete w/ picket fence, and only a block to the park that I used to take DS when he was little. The baby can pee in the same wading pool that DS did!!!!

Sugar, apparently you wrangled up enough socks. Sorry you ended up w/ a migraine. Nothing worse when you have things that just have to be done. Those blueberries are supposed to be chock full of good stuff for you. Especially when consumed in pancake form.

Do you think Kiwi has a sunburn yet?

Last edited by Wabby; 07-18-2005 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:52 PM   #62  

Nothing new here... Which is fabu!
Got a white-cell booster shot today. No side effects from that either! Whoo hoo. Of course, still no appetite suppressant effect. I'm off to de-tangle my yarn again... but am nearly finished with the lovely green scarf/shawl yarn that a certain sweet cow sent!

Maybe I'll lie down, instead.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:46 AM   #63  

Painty, so wonderful to hear that you are not suffering from any Tx side effects.. I don't think it's so weird that you would actually not mind shedding your locks... it's the most visible sign of going through a metamorphosis/ change.. Now then ...these Alpacas.... What the hoodle doo are they anyway.. a cross between a sheep (and speaking of sheep, whats the plural of a sheep??) and a llama with some camel and girafffe thrown in? They are cute creatures...My aunt is a most gifted ceramic artist in No.Cal. One of her biggest money-makers is murals of Cows and sheep.. After 40 years of painting cows, she is hating them...maybe I should tell her to paint Alpacas..Are you a knitter?..personally I'm a wool gatherer.. could never get the hang of knitting or crocheting...I'm a needlepointy kind of gal myself..

Wabby: Glad your shin dig was a blast! Sigh, we will miss our group of friends when we move...I "broke up" with my BFF last year.. a 20 year friendship.. it ranks up there with one of the most emotionally toughest things I've done.. and as a result, I "lost" my other BF, her sister... On the other hand, very good friends of ours will be moving to NC in a year or two.. I really thought I was Joisey Born-Bred-til dead... but I am actually looking forward to a new chapter in my life, new areas to explore and meeting new people.
We've been making wine for about 4 years now..But this is the last year.. We have enuf wine to last us years...........CONGRATS to your DS on his new home!!
I hope Kiwi is having good weather and many a blender drink !
Sug...hope you are better!
My life continues to revolve around Boxes and Bubblewrap... time to have my cawfee and get on with it...Packing is good for my diet... the Pork-o-meter is down another pound
Old 07-20-2005, 09:56 AM   #64  
Most boring housewife.

Is it me? I'm sure I posted here yesterday. Oh well.
Painty, I see you're having some trouble...good luck. I'm glad you're doing well with chemo.
Shatzi, who are you? Are you new?
Wabby, your son is married? I'm so behind.
The update here is that dd has had her first surgery with good result. She is actually doing better than she has since her surgery two years ago. She'll have her second surgery in a month. Her radiation will start in the fall. She'll go to a local college(good school with a major she may prefer) for the fall semester then will go to her college of choice in January...if she doesn't like the local school better. I'd prefer she be close, naturally.
The boys are fine. DS15 is at the shore with friends right now. He is quite social this year. DS13 is racing bmx and mx this summer and is very busy. DH took the summer off due to dd's situation. It is fun having him home. Remember years ago when he sold his business and told me he'd only work enough to keep benefits...har, har, har. This is the first summer in ages that he's taken off. We're having fun considering all that's happening. Even dd is having fun. PLUS he's doing all these projects that have been hanging for years. He put a heater in the pool, it is great.
Otherwise, life is boring. I think I may go to work in the fall. I think I may get a medical job of some sort because I have to look up every third word when I am researching dd's condition.
I wrote a much better post yesterday...but this will have to do today. Bye
Old 07-20-2005, 10:02 AM   #65  
Most boring housewife.

Shatzi, I just read your post and see you are in NJ. I am in NJ, too. How come you get to leave?
Old 07-20-2005, 12:44 PM   #66  

Lush!!! I was so happy to see your post. I've been wondering how DD was doing. It sounds as if everything is going as well as can be expected, and you're all holding up well under the pressure. Things seem to have unexpected blessings sometimes. Having your DH home for the summer and kids all together will be something that not every family is able to enjoy. Now that my nest is emptying out I appreciate our times together so much more. DS is getting married soon - it's a hurry up marriage because he's also making me a grandma, but it's all good - he's marrying a sweetheart of a girl. I can tell you all now because the papers are signed on his house. He bought the house on ebay. He was high bidder by $100. Isn't that whacky? If you want to check it out, it's item #4392881911, be sure and check completed items when you do the search. It's a teeny leetle house, but perfect for them.

Lushy, puh-leeze don't disappear again. We need you. I miss your lists. It always made me feel like I was getting something accomplished.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:21 PM   #67  
The magic shrinking cow

Lushie! I'm glad DD's treatment is going well so far!
Painty, I'm glad your treatment is going well, too.
Wabby, congrats to your DS and his bride to be on their new house.
Hi Sugar P, Cowpeachia, Baggzziee, Kiwi, & all!

I actually got a workout in yesterday. And I will do one again today. Go me! Two more weeks of school. I have to make an "integrated unit." Also, we're getting new furniture! We've been in our temporary rental house for more than five years now, so we've decided to buy the furniture we were planning to get in our "real" house. It's a reclining loveseat and reclining sofa. I'll post pictures at my flickr account. (If you guys have accounts there, I can add you so you can see the "before" pictures.)

Ciao! Back to homework!
Old 07-20-2005, 09:05 PM   #68  

Hi, Lush... Add me to the list of those who are delighted to hear from you. I have a new appreciation for what you and DD are going through. The answers are neighter as fast nor firm as you hope, but not as bad as you fear... and that just leaves one in limbo. Arrrrrrrrrgh.

Wabby.. I didn't realize the house was purchased on eBay... will definitely go check. Now THAT seems "modren".... Son is lucky to have you in his corner.

Shatzi... alpacas are like little, sweet tempered llamas... yes, they are related to camels. but their hair/fur is wonderful for spinning and knitting. The knitting folks can't get enough of them, I think... some knitters even like old goats, but I guess that's a different story. There's a photo of the painted sheep/trunk she bought here . Apparently the one I tried to upload has "errors..." no doubt because of Hello/Picasa.

I am an accomplished wool-gatherer myself.

Last edited by PainterWoman; 02-27-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:07 AM   #69  

Lushie! It's so nice to hear from you! I've heard soo much about you...the gals here all told me about you ...pining and whining how they missed you..
Yep, I'm new..I think I passed the interview process to join the herd.... Exit 33?? You're way South girl... I'm exit 9 on the turnpike... exit 124ish via Pkwy... but only for the next month or so..Joisey just is plain tooo crowded, loud and fast paced anymore..sigh.....
Wabby: That house is darling! I'm sure they will make happy memories in their new home..!
Cherry: We have a love seat and sofa that contain 4 recliners...Sooo Comfortable!
Painty: That wool/yarn trunk is absolutely gorgeous! I must revisit to review your journal... Who Knew knitters love Alpaca wool... ah the things I learn...
Today I am taking the day off from the mundane packing chores...heading to the pool with a good book
Old 07-21-2005, 01:04 PM   #70  

I know knitters who "knit" with copper wire, bamboo fiber, stainless steel and corn husks... If it's gonna be against my skin, however, I prefer cashmere!
Old 07-21-2005, 03:44 PM   #71  
The magic shrinking cow

Schatzi-- thats the kind of set we're getting-- I can't wait! It'll be a couple of weeks, since we're putting up new bookcases first!

I love Jersey! I'm an exit 1 and go South girl. But can't afford to live there, so I have to be content with visiting every five years or so.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:02 AM   #72  

Cherry-- DAhllink, you will love your new sofa set... Yours probably also has a little middle piece that flips down as a snack table.. I love Jersey too, but alas, we are just to tired to deal with all that comes with being a Jerseyan.. DH and I are so Done with commuting into Philly (him) and NYC (me) .. Traffic everywhere, soo many people, so little room, and YES TRE Expensive!

Painty--oooh Cashmere... is that what alpaca wool is like? L O V E I T !
Why the hoodle doo would someone select corn husks or metal.. oh artsy fartsy types looking for new mediums to explore!

Wabby--Lush--- Are you two busy making lists?
Old 07-22-2005, 06:04 AM   #73  

Caused a ruckus this morn... Went outside to pick up some poop (I got lazy last night and just let the girls out on the lawn).. so, I'm picking up the poop and my mind gets to wandering..(Hmm Maryanns drain is down gotta tell her...lalala, oh pretty bird..) and I pick up this blobbette of poop, (lala,la) WHAH?!!, EWWW whats WIGGLING IN MY HAND!!!! EW EW EW! I throw the paper towel with the poop in up in the air...it COMES DOWN ON MY HEAD.. ACCK , poop in my head! HOLY ALMIGHTY BOB ITs not POOP, Its a NEST OF SLUGS!!! I hate slugs...I AM SO SKEEVED! I run into the house for a box of SALT..RUN OUT doing what can only be described as an apoplectic war dance... pouring salt on these slugs... So my neighbor comes out of her house to check out the commotion in her matching robe and slippers as I am dancing around with a box of salt screaming EW EW, hitting my head to rid it of any rogue slug (EW) in my holey nightshirt with non matching plaid pants... Neighbor Jen was also skeeved..( Could be because of my nightwear....) She at first thought I was having some sort of seizure and then started to laugh --which brought out Carl and Lisa.. (she in her matching robe and gown)....Glad they have a sense of humor, we ended up having coffee on the patio ..at quarter after 5 ...
I'm better now.. took a shower, and threw out my ratty night wear..
mental note: must purchase matching nightgown robe and slippers..
Old 07-22-2005, 04:09 PM   #74  
fatter than U

Cool

LOL Schatzi!! I'm trying to figure out what would gross me out more - poop or slug nest. Nothing worse than something moving when it's not supposed to. At least you gave the neighbours something to talk about for the rest of the day.

I'm having a depressing "what the h*ll am I doing here?" week.

Two postcards from Ds12 so far. He is still alive and having a good time. It's been raining here for the past three days so I'm pretty sure it's raining where he is. Doubt if he's noticed yet.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:30 PM   #75  

Ladies, Shatzi deserves some sort of prize... for her slug-fest survival AND for telling us about it. I would have slunk back into the house and had margaritas all day, I think...
We could send:
1. Robe and slippers
2. Gold plated slug statue
3. Baseball trophy engraved to "slugger extraordinaire."
4. Diapers for the doggies

Any other suggestions?
Closed Thread