Old 07-05-2005, 07:33 AM   #1  

Default Circle of Friends Week of July 3rd

Hi everyone

Anne, I hope you had a nice Canada Day on Friday. Nikki, Kate, hope you had a nice 4th of July. We had fireworks both Sun. & Mon. throughout the neighborhood. My girlfriend, DH & I went out to a late dinner on Sun., getting home around 9:00 pm. We stood out in our driveway watching the fireworks a few streets and in some cases, a few houses away from us. Some of them really went all out.

Anne, how are things coming along with the mattress you're looking for? Is it still hot up there?

Nikki, thanks for the link to Avon. I think I bought some of their bug repellent quite a few years ago, and I can't remember if I liked it or not. We used to always use Skin So Soft. That's good for just about everything. I often wonder what's in it.

Kate, how was your picnic Sunday? I hope you all had a wonderful time. I haven't read the DaVinci Code, but it is one book I want to read. Let me know how you like it. My girlfriend picked up a non-fiction book, and I believe it's called, German Boy. I read the first page and I liked what I read, so I asked her to let me read it after she's done.

Enjoy your day!
Talk to you guys later,
Ali
aleka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 10:13 AM   #2  

Morning Everyone,

Hope everyone had a safe and happy celebration this past weekend.
We stayed home last night. It was the most beautiful night, low humidity, blue clear sky, temps in the 70's and dropping into the 60's later. We built a fire and had a few drinks. One of my DD's came by for supper, I made hamburgers over the fire and had, potato salad, chips, corn on the cob and banana cake. It was all good. The fireworks were easy to see from our yard and it was a really good show. I was glad we didn't have to go out to see them. DD went with her friend to get closer, but I doubt they had a better seat than we did. We sat out on the railroad ties and it was perfect viewing.

Anne, have you ever heard of Donair? I got a recipe for it from allrecipes and thought about you. Most of the reviewers liked it (Canada people that is, Americans weren't taken with it). Here's a link if you want to look it up
http://beef.allrecipes.com/az/71963.asp?tsrc=dd

Ali, I think the new bug repellant from Avon is different that the old one. It has an spf and it works pretty good. The only thing I don't like about it is, it's really oily. But, I'll take that over getting bit. We used the spray last night, it's unscented and it really doesn't have a smell to it. I didn't get one bite.
Are fireworks legal in Florida? They aren't here, but of course, everyone sets them off and nothing is ever done about it.

Kate, how was the cookout? I have been wanting to read the DaVinci Code, I've seen so many programs on tv about it. It does seem kind of long and windy though, so I'm looking forward to what you have to say about it.

DH goes back to work tomorrow night. We are both looking forward to getting back on track with out exercise and eating. I've gained 10 lbs this past month and I'm starting to look like I'm PG. Hate that. It won't take long though, to get it off. We always feel so much better when we do, like different people.
I've been thinking, maybe we should start one continuing thread, like everyone else? Does everyone have high speed internet? It would be easier to find the thread that way, at least that is my guess.
Talk to you all later, Nikki
nikkic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 08:16 AM   #3  

Good morning,

Having a holiday on Mon. really screws me up for the rest of the week. I can't believe it's Wed. already.

Nikki, it sounds like you had a wonderful 4th. That was great you had such a good vantage point to see the fireworks. Glad that the weather was nice for you. It is really starting to get humid down here. I do have high speed internet service. Keeping a continuing thread is ok with me. Whenever anyone posts I get an e mail, save it, and when I'm ready to post I just click on the link and I'm here. Whatever everybody wants to do is fine with me. I do believe fireworks are legal in FL. At one corner there was a huge tent set up selling fireworks. I only saw that 1, but I'm sure there were more elsewhere. In NH it was legal to buy fireworks, but illegal to set them off within the state. Everyone sets them off and like where you are, nothing is ever done about it.

Hi Anne, Kate hope everything is going well with the both of you.

Have a great day everyone.
Ali
Old 07-06-2005, 07:48 PM   #4  

Hi all,
Well, we had a breath of fresh air for 2 days...no humidity, it was heavenly! Now it's humid again and still no rain, at least at our house. There have been some showers in the area, but I'm still watering.

Nikki: Our party went well. Everyone was here at 11:30 a.m. and didn't leave til 10:30 p.m! I was pooped, but we had fun. Sounds like you had a good view of the fireworks. I don't like to get too close so that would have suited me fine. We missed seeing fireworks this year. The neighboring town puts on quite a show, but I couldn't get up enough ambition to go. I'm hoping to see some this weekend at our town carnival. I'm enjoying the DaVinci Code, but the first 60 pages or so were hard to get through. Lots of French phrases. I hit a good section last night so I'm hoping the rest will be the same. A continuing thread is okay with me. Good luck getting back on track with your exercise and eating. I need to do the same!

Ali: I love it...legal to buy fireworks, but illegal to set them off...ahhh, the mentality of government Has your girlfriend left? Are you getting ready for any tropical storms? I see that there are some brewing. I hope that they don't come anywhere near you. Our friend from PA is in North Port now visiting her daughter who just had her second baby. She lives on Markle Ave. I like having an extra day off, but it does mess me up too. I've been trying to work late this week and will next so I can go on vacation with a somewhat clear conscience. The work is really piling up now. Have you been using the hot tub a lot?

Anne: Guess your hot/humid weather is back too. Hope that work is going well for you, but probably not if is there. When is her vacation? Will you get some time off too? How was your Canada Day celebration?

Take care,
Kate
Katey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 08:07 AM   #5  

Hi Everyone!!

Hope you gals had a great 4th of July celebration.

As you have probably guessed I have been swamped at work. I couldn't
believee it when I woke up at 4am this morning to all that bombing crap in
London. It makes me sick. We are all sitting ducks here in the free world.
I travel extensively to work on the Toronto Subway System.

Kate, I would love to know when is on vacation. She is being her
usual pain in the butt.
Weather is not too bad but it is so dry. We have still had not rain. We are
suppose to be under the deep heat again by the weekend.

Ali still looking for a mattress. Man am I stiff Hope this hurricane
I am hearing about stays well away from you. This weather has been too
much hasn't it.

Nikki, I need to get back on track too. I have not excuses or birthdays until
September!!!!

Have a great day ladies
Anne.
ANNE D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 08:56 AM   #6  

Hello everyone,

It has gotten really hot here, but I don't mind. With all the sunshine my hair is starting to bleach out and I have more blonde streaks than I normally have.

DH seems to be working more normal hrs. this week. Today he gets out at 5:00 pm and I'm meeting him after work at a steakhouse we've been wanting to try for quite some time. We've made plans to meet before, but we've always had a terriffic storm come through that put a crimp in our plans. So, hopefully today will be different.

Anne, I too heard about the bombing in London. They say it was a terror attack. I'm watching Tony Blair on TV as we "speak" Hope you find a mattress soon. Thankfully we didn't get TS Cindy. As it looks now, Dennis is projected to take the same path as TS Arlene, going up the Gulf. I can't believe we're into the "D" names already and it's only July!

Kate, glad that you had a good time at your picnic it's always a nice feeling when everyone has a good time. We're having nice weather for your friend. I hope she doesn't think it's too hot. The heat was bothering my girlfriend while she was here. She flew back to NH on Tues. I honestly don't know my way around North Port all that well. I know how to get to the grocery store, Rte. 41, and Rte.75. I live a few streets (almost like a maze) off of Cranberry. I would be very interested on your take of DaVinci Code. I really would like to read it. When are you planning on going on vacation and are you planning anything special?

Nikki, how are things with you?

I've started exercising again, doing WATP 1 mile tape, working my way up to 2 mile tape, and so on and so on. I read an article on the internet that to lose fat you should walk 45 min. at least 3x a week. That's my goal!

Hope you all have a great day.
Ali
Old 07-07-2005, 10:11 AM   #7  

Morning Everyone
I'm also distressed about the bombings in London. Anne, I would be worried too about the subways. I know in this day and age, there is no safe place and it seems everything is upside down anymore.
Kate, hope you get to see some fireworks this weekend. I use to hate going to take the kids to see them, because they had them out at the dam (which is a good 20 min drive from here). People came from all over to see it and the traffic was simply bumper to bumper for miles. Sitting out in my backyard is so much nicer and now, I can finally say I like to watch them.
Ali, I've been watching the weather channel and watching that storm. Did you ever get that generator? They have them on sale here at Menards and I thought about you. Hope you finally get to that steak house!
I started walking with Leslie yesterday too. I did the Walkblaster and she doesn't keep track of the miles too well on that one. The first mile, she says you've walked a mile, but after that, no more. It lasts for 42 minutes, so I know it's almost 3 miles. I also started to watch what I'm eating better, no special diet. I'm just trying to eat smaller portions, eat more vegetables and fruit and eat more fresh things.
Well, got to go. DD and I are going shopping in a bit, have a great day, Nikki

Last edited by nikkic; 07-07-2005 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:02 AM   #8  

Hello everyone

We're gearing up for Dennis. So far we are under and tropical storm & flood watch for tomorrow. Last night DH mowed the lawn along with just about everyone else in the neighborhood. He topped my car off and he'll top his car off when he goes into work this morning. I'll be going grocery shopping in a little while. Hopefully we won't get hit too hard. I'm just glad that DH has this weekend off. So, if you don't hear from me for a day or two, you'll know why.

Nikki, yes, we did get a generator. We have enough gas for it, so if we do lose our electricity we'll be all set. We did get to the steakhouse last night and it was pretty good. We would go back again. How did the shopping go with your DD? Your diet and exercise plans sound good.

Anne, how were things on your subway system yesterday when you left work? I thought of you when I saw all the precautions they were taking in NYC.

Kate, are you feeling any effects from Cindy? I know it's heading in your direction.

Take care and have a good day today and a great weekend.
Ali
Old 07-08-2005, 09:10 AM   #9  

Hi There Everyone:
Aleka, I was alittle nervous but I travel before the real rush hour gets under
way. I know we too are on the "hit list" here too in Canada because of our
involvement in Afghanistan. It seems obvious it would be Toronto that gets
nailed.
You know what, these unfortunately are the kind of times we live in. It makes
me sick. I told my kids, I would have never ever beleived this would happen
when I was growing up. Mans inhumanity to man.
Those poor people, I feel so awful for them. All they were doing is going
to work. Exactly the same as 9/11
Aleka, I hope that Dennis stays away from you guys. You had
more that your share of these bloody hurricanes last year.
Hi Nikki, sounds like you are getting a good start to getting back on track with
your program. I had some great cherries when I came in today. Just delicious.
Hi Kate, we are in for another heat wave so I just bet you are too. I hope we
get some rain soon!!
Talk to you all later.
Anne.
ANNE D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 09:46 AM   #10  
Hang In There

Default Can I join you?

Katey and Alice, I "searched" you out and found both of you here at this thread called "Circle of Friends" and Nikki, I remember you from the LowCarb section.

Life has not been good to me this year. Our business has gone from bad to worse and we are struggling to keep it running. I made the decision that I was going to have to find a full time job that actually gave me a paycheck! (we haven't had a paycheck in over 6 months) To make a long story shorter, God moves in mysterious ways, and the girl that had my "old" job at the Arthritis Center walked out and quit all of a sudden, and I now have my old job back. It was not a perfect job, but at least I know the problems I'll have there, and it has lots of pros.

Since I've been under so much stress for the last 6 months or so, I've let myself go to pot!!!(not marijauna!!) Just not eating healthy food, not watching my weight, not exercising enough, and definately not being accountable for anything.

Add to that the threads I was posting on here at 3FC no longer held my attention, and I quit coming in here and reading, and posting.

I have jury duty Monday and I start my job Tuesday, so I'm ready to start taking care of Me again. I'm looking for a new 3FC home, and new friends and a new commitment, so I'd like to be part of your group.

Take care from the storms, that's one advantage of being so far inland. My Mom and Sister and Niece are all at South Padre Island this week (on the Gulf coast of Tx) but I don't think anytings bothered them so far. They should be back Sat. night and I don't think Dennis is due in until about Sunday.

Have a great day!!!

BarbG
ageoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 10:26 AM   #11  

Hi Barb,

Sure, you're more than welcome to join us. The more the merrier. I was feeling the same way about the other thread, so I don't post over there anymore. I have found a great group of friends here.

I am so sorry what has happened with your business. I can relate because that's exactly what happened to DH & I with our business, although we didn't have any employees, there was just the 2 of us. It is hard. That's good you got your old job back, congratulations. Have fun Mon. on jury duty. How long do you have to serve?

It looks like your family won't have anything to worry about from Dennis. It seems closer to FL than TX.

Looking forward to your posts.

Ali
Old 07-08-2005, 11:12 AM   #12  

HI Barb

Welcome to our group I'm sorry to hear about the problems you've had, life sure seems like a rollercoaster. They say, you never would appreciate the ups without the downs, but, I don't understand why the downs have to be so drastic sometimes. I sure can understand about trying to get a job. I thought I'd have no problem getting a job. It is much harder than I ever thought it would be and depressing too. Fortunately, DH still works so we are getting by ok. Congratulations on getting your old job back. What do you do there?
I'm getting back on track with my diet and exercise. I plan on using Leslie Sansones WATP and her Walkblaster for awhile and then move into The Firm. I had no idea how out of shape I was getting. I garden and I work on the house (we are remodeling), so you'd think I'd be in better shape. I see your planning on getting back on track, is there any diet and exercise plan your going to follow?
I love Texas. My sister use to live there and we would go down every summer. Probably the hottest time of the year, in August. She lived in Del Rio and we would go across the border to Aucunya (I have no idea how it's spelled, it sounds like that to me). It was great when I was a younger, probably a lot different now, I've not been there for, well, over 30 years. We also visited all the places in between on our way down there. My niece lives in Dallas, but we haven't heard from her in years, so I don't know if she is still there or not.
Talk to you later, Nikki

Last edited by nikkic; 07-08-2005 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:30 PM   #13  

It's been raining at my house for a good part of the day Rather odd to be saying that we're happy to see rain because Rochester doesn't usually have any trouble with that! I don't have to water tonight which delights me.

Barb: I'm so glad you found us! I'm sorry to hear that you've at problems with your business, but the fact that you got your old job back is wonderful! At least you won't have to be learning something brand new. It's hard to concentrate on healthy eating and exercising when you're so stressed so don't be too hard on yourself. I'm sure you'll be able to get back to it now that some things are settling down in your life. I was on a real exercise, eat well kick for quite a while and suddenly I've slipped. Time for me to get serious again too. Only one day of jury duty? We usually get locked into 5 up here if you get selected. Glad that you'll be posting with us

Ali: I guess the rain that we're getting is from Cindy. For us it's a welcome relief and there's been no strong winds or bad thunder storms with it. I hope that you don't get Dennis. Glad that you're prepared with your generator. Don't know when my friend is supposed to leave North Port. I'm really getting into The DaVinci Code. It has lots of interesting facts in it that I never knew and I like the way it's written. He throws out little tidbits, but doesn't divulge everything and then in another chapter he adds a little more. I want to keep reading!

Nikki: Have you been job hunting? It's really gotten difficult in this area and I guess pretty much all over. My son tried for a year and a half after he got laid off. Thankfully he got called back to his old job, but I think he realizes how very fortunate he is. Rejection is hard on a person and he had a lot of that. With all the exercise that I'd been doing I found it so much easier to work in the garden this year. I haven't gotten as achey as in the past. You sound very motivated with your exercise routine and eating. Keep up the good work!

Anne: Have you noticed more security now on the Toronto subway? I just can't understand how people can do such awful things to others. The world is getting pretty terrible and there's not a guarantee that you're safe anywhere. I hate to see the next generations growing up with these problems. I look back to being a kid and we were really carefree. I was certainly not as "street smart" as the kids have to be now. Did you finally get some rain? We're supposed to be getting another heatwave at the beginning of next week.

Enjoy the weekend everyone! DH's cousin and wife are coming to his brother's tomorrow. We're going to meet them all for dinner. I have so much to do to get ready for our camping trip. We leave in a week and I know I'll be putting in extra hours at work so I don't want to depend on doing it at night.

Take care,
Kate
Katey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 07:41 AM   #14  

Hi Everyone,

Ali, I've thought about you all night. I hope your safe and that the storm hasn't been too bad in your area. I'll be on pins and needles waiting to hear from you. It sounds like you and your DH are prepared and that is so important. Well, the shopping trip with DD went fine, she found a beautiful Fenton vase to give to her sister for her wedding.

Speaking of the wedding, my youngest DD (she's 25 now), is now officially getting married on Friday. It's nothing fancy, they are going to the courthouse and then we are going back to their house for cake and Asti Spumanti afterwards. We won't be there long, they have to go to a B&B (one that DH and I go to for our anniversary) for their honeymoon. It's about a 3 hour drive, so they will have to hurry to get there. At least this way, there is practically no stress on our parts with planning and then doing a big wedding. Still, deep down, I sure wish we could have had a little church wedding with a reception afterwards.

Anne, I bet your glad it's the weekend. Hope you have a nice, relaxing time off.

Barb, have you been selected for jury duty yet or just reporting for selection? I get those letters about every 3 years, I've never had to report yet, but we live in a little town.

Kate, I've been looking for a job for about a year now. Since this area doesn't have a lot of jobs to begin with, it's not easy. I really thought I'd just have to go out, put in a few applications and get a job in less that a week. I guess not. I also wasn't prepared for the really stupid questions they ask you at interviews these days. Then there are tests they make you take. DD was looking for a job for awhile and she went to apply at a video store. She had 3 interviews and had to take a test. She said the test was really hard. They said she didn't pass it because she got one too many questions wrong. She use to get straight A's in high school. And that was just a job to rent video's. how ridiculous is that? I've kind of stopped looking for the summer. I have lots to do in the garden and with the house remodeling, it's better if I stay at home anyway. I thought after the kids go back to school, there should be some jobs opening up.
Where will you be camping? Hope you have a great time. We are not getting any rain out of Dennis, it's dry here and they say it's like a curtain was set up between us and Illinois where there will be plenty of rain. I'm still watering almost daily.

Look, I've written a book , Talk to you all later, Nikki
Old 07-09-2005, 08:16 AM   #15  

Hi everybody!

So far so good with Dennis. We are under a tropical storm warning, we're supposed to get high winds an about 5" of rain. We are also under a tornado watch until 4:00 pm this afternoon. We started getting thunder storms around 4:30 yesterday afternoon and had them rolling through all during the night. Right now it's just raining so thought I'd pop in to say "Hi".

Nikki, please congratulate your DD for me on her wedding. I'm glad they were able to get a room at the B & B for their honeymoon. I hope everything you ordered will come on time. The vase sounds lovely that DD #1 got for DD#2 and I'm sure she'll love it. Maybe they can have a reception, or you could have a reception for them at a later date. DH & I had a very small wedding, I took the honeymoon instead. We only had a few family members and friends attend the wedding. A week or two after we got home from our honeymoon my ILs had a reception at their house for all of DH's family.

Kate, glad that you're liking the DaVinci Code. Next time I'm at Books A Million I'll pick up a copy. I know I've been wanting to read it and we seem to have the same taste in books. Glad you're getting some much needed rain. How long is the rain supposed to last? My cousin is at her cottage in NH on vacation this week. I feel so bad for her because it's really been nasty up there.

Anne, I too don't understand how people can have such hatred to do these horrible things to other human beings. In back of us there is a toddler, and I often wonder what type of world there will be when he grows up. Please stay safe. Hope you'll enjoy your two days away from

Barb, since it looks like Dennis will be farther in the gulf, will your family feel any effects of it with winds and rain? I can't remember, but were you doing water aerobics at one time? A YMCA will be opening this month not too far from my house. I've been thinking of joining a water aerobics class.

Hope you all have a great weekend.

Take care,
Ali