Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 11:22 PM   #31  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

Sometimes I think I'd like an exercise bike for home, but I just don't want to have to LOOK at it all the time. We have a tiny 2-bedroom house (750sq' in the upstairs) and our basement is maxed out with the MIL suite and what little space is left down there for the laundry room/storage area. No place to conveniently tuck away equipment, I'm afraid.

Have any of you had fluttery feelings in your ears, like a quick pressure? The last two days, I've felt like I'm jazzed on caffeine, pulse seems high and I have that caffeine-y feeling in my chest, plus I have that fluttery feeling. It's so weird. Guess I'd better get my BP checked again. I hate it when weird stuff surfaces in the bod. It makes you feel other stuff which may or may not really be there -- might be imagined, might not be. Blah!
Old 07-14-2005, 06:38 AM   #32  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Ugh, I hate unexplained weird feelings! Sometimes my heart starts beating really fast for no apparent reason--it can happen while I'm just sitting at my desk. It hasn't happened in a long time, but when it did happen, it's creepy cuz it's like, what did I do to cause this?! But I'd check it out if I were you, especially since it's not a one-time thing for a few minutes, it's been happening for a couple days. It could be something as simple as overworking yourself in the heat, maybe, but definitely better to play it safe.

Aimee--the new diet is something I got suckered into online. Curiosity killed the credit card, in my case I just saw all these ads for "lose 9 pounds in 11 days," and I didn't think it would be anything legitimate (I figured it was some sort of pill or shake or something I would never use, ya know?), but in order to have access to the site, you have to pay $27 for a 90-day membership. So I did it out of curiosity. It's called the Idiot Proof Diet (which 3FC is not a fan or supporter of by any means). It's basically a low-carb plan except that you can eat fruits and veggies regardless of carbs. Lots of lean meats (chicken, ground turkey, ham, etc.) and eggs and fruits and veggies. You stay on the diet for 11 days, then take 3 days off to eat whatever you want. The idea is that your body doesn't get used to any certain amount or types (carb, protein, or fat) of intake for too long, so it keeps your metabolism on its toes. It actually gives you a menu of 4 "meals" to eat each day (I put meals in quotes because they refer to them as meals, but one is usually just like "mixed nuts" or "fresh grapes," so it's really more like 3 meals and a snack). Before it gives you a menu, it gives you all these choices of 3 food items, and you pick the one you prefer out of each group of 3. I like this because cottage cheese can be included in the diet, but I HATE cottage cheese, so I never pick it, so it's never in my plan But anyway, no, I don't think I am going to lose 9 pounds every 11 days, but I do think it contributed to my 8-pound loss last week (I started this last Monday), even though I know a good part of that was water as well. What I DO like about it is that I don't have to think, which is worth the $27 to me It tells me exactly what to eat each meal, each day, so unlike Atkin's or South Beach or whatever, there's no guessing about what I am allowed to have, and unlike other plans, you don't have to count ANYTHING. I still log my foods into fitday.com, though, just to check out the calories and stuff. It's also very low in dairy, so I went to Target yesterday and bought a liquid multivitamin (Centrum) for some vitamins that I noticed I was missing when I logged into fitday (Vitamins A and D), and I got some calcium supplements since my calcium was pretty low, too (and there was no calcium in the multivitamin, which I thought was weird). It says I am also low in Folate and Vitamin K, but I don't know what those are and couldn't find anything about them on any of the supplement bottles, so I think I'll survive Anyway, I know it's not a plan I can stick to forever, but it's easy for me to stick to for now, so why not give it a shot? I know the basics of nutrition, so I have no doubt that if I use this plan to lose my weight, I will still be able to eat sensibly to maintain once I go off the diet (unlike people who go crazy with carbs after losing weight on Atkins and gain it all back, ya know?). So, how's that for a long-winded explanation?
Old 07-14-2005, 01:10 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Kimberley - definitely get that checked out, just for peace of mind, I get tons of weird feelings in my body. Mostly it happens when I'm tired, I usually panic (I've had an insane amount of "sicknesses"), now I'm just learning out body does weird things from time to time. But if it doesn't reoccur I usually try to forget it happened. My house I'm living in now is pretty tiny as well, when I'm looking for a new place I'm going to look into a larger, brighter space... hopefully cheaper so I can afford a bike!

Jill - I like long winded answers! I think anything is worth trying once, even if it doesn't work for you, its good to try something new and learn something about your body. In my year of dieting and not being hugely sucessful I've learnt very important things.. I can't STAND counting calories, it drives me insane, infact, I'd rather NOT diet than do it... odd huh? I also know I can't have wheat/gluten, fortunately while being in Nelson I've been able to find really great stuff without it in it! Cookies which are gluten FREE? There is a bakery in town that does stuff like that, gluten free, yeast free, egg free... it's interesting. I think everyone should take a calcium suppliment, the way milk is SO processed its not possible to get all the benefits from it... IMO anyways. Also, calcium and essential fatty acids are great for PMS!

I am off to drink my smoothie.. I'm seriously addicted. Organic Strawberries, organic banana's, oj and flax seeds... yummy AND good for you! Have a great day!

-Aimee
Old 07-15-2005, 06:26 AM   #34  
Eating for two!

Aimee--that smoothie sounds awesome! Enjoy the remainder of your vacationing days!

As for me, I'm down another 2.5 pounds at TOPS last night. I think I am going to change my tickers to my TOPS scale weight. I have been using my home scale, by it has been really inconsistent lately, so I think the TOPS scale will give me a more accurate and consistent record of my progress. Mind you, my numbers will change quite a bit, as the TOPS scale is a good 4 pounds or so lowetr than my home scale, but it's not really another 4 pounds lost. I'll have to find my TOPS weight recording book and change my starting weight to my first TOPS weigh-in weight, too, so it's an accurate count of how many pounds I have lost since I started TOPS (back in March, I think).

Have a great weekend, everyone!!
Old 07-15-2005, 05:23 PM   #35  

Hey! I got a one day extention on my vacation, unfortunately its because Josh got his some of his test results back. The doctor says it's NOT an ulcer, and told me it could be Crohn's disease, Irritable Bowel Syndrome or Colon Cancer... both his grandparents died from Cancer, so did his Uncle. So we really need to get him all tested and see whats going on. In the mean time he's sleeping on the couch, and I plan to let him rest until he's feeling somewhat better. I've been waking him up every couple hours to force some food down... I really worry I don't have the strength to deal with cancer. Death scares me more than I could ever put into words. I'd rather run away than deal with this. I know worst case I could come home, and bring Josh with me. This is a wonderful place to beat cancer, surounded by people who care (yet barely know him!). But man, my whole life would change. I am hoping it's IBS, which you can control thru diet and vitamins.. I have a book called Prescription for Nutritional Healing, which I totally believe in..I am babbling.

Jill - congrats on the weight loss! You are doing SO well, I'm so happy for you

I'm going to go enjoy another day in the Kootenays (area where Nelson is), while the sun isn't shining it's still pretty beautiful. Hopefully I can write a post from home tomorrow, until then.. take care!!

-Aimee
Old 07-16-2005, 12:38 AM   #36  
Howie6267's Honey

Jill, WOW! Good for you! I had a loss this week, too. I'm not missing those three pounds, nosiree!

Shoot, Aimee, I hear your worries! My heart sank when Howie had to get that mammogram ~ Scary stuff when someone we love has something going on like that. We're definitely thinking of you guys and Josh's in our prayers. You'll have the strength to deal with whatever comes; it's not until we're tested that our true strength shows. Is he going to have a scope done? It's likely it could be IBS, and like you say, that is treatable. We're thinking of you both!

Here are some pictures to cheer you...Cool green to calm you, roses to show you how we care, and a goofy dog to make you smile.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EE_water.jpg (8.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg carpet_rose (WinCE).JPG (18.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg bignose (WinCE).jpg (13.8 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Gardenwife; 07-16-2005 at 12:40 AM.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:17 AM   #37  
Howie6267's Honey

Just popping in to say g'night. See you tomorrow!
Old 07-17-2005, 03:59 PM   #38  

Kimberley - thank you. Sometimes I don't know what I'd do without you all! Now we are just waiting for Josh to be able to drive us home, it was supposed to be today, but it doesn't look like it. If he's not well by tomorrow I might have to rent a car and drive it home, and Josh will have to make his way back when he's better. It's that or take the bus, and I suspect renting a car is cheaper. We'll see what'll happen. In the mean time, I'm actually going to the beach.. might as well enjoy this weather until he's better! I'll update you all again... and thanks

-Aimee
Old 07-17-2005, 04:03 PM   #39  
Howie6267's Honey

Did the doctor happen to mention diverticulitis as a possibility also?
Old 07-18-2005, 06:13 AM   #40  
Eating for two!

Aimee--I hate that Josh is feeling so crappy, but I'm glad it got to a point where he would finally go see a doctor! Now they can figure out what it is and work on making him better rather than just leaving him to suffer all the time. I definitely have my fingers crossed for you guys...keep us posted!!

Kimberley--those pictures are so good! I am absolutely jealous of your photographic abilities. I especially love the goofy dog one

Well, weekend was, well, typical. I went to Jeff's because all of his cousins were supposed to go visit his mother, so we were going to have the whole house to ourselves and stay there to watch the dog. Well, what ended up actually happening was the parents went for the day on Saturday and left the two oldest boys (who are 17 and 14, I think) home, so they watched the dog, and the parents were home by 10pm. so basically, there was no real reason for me to have gone to his house, and he very well could have come to mine. I'm going there AGAIN this coming weekend because his cousin is having one of those candle parties and invited me. I don't really want to go (you know how you always feel obligated to buy stuff at those things?), especially since it's my birthday weekend, but I couldn't come up with a good enough excuse not to go, so I'll just shut my trap and have fun

I had my 3 "off plan" day this past weekend that my diet calls for, and was happy enough with what the scale said this morning (I know I shouldn't have weighed after an entire off-plan weekend, but you know I couldn't resist). My weekend eating habits are horrible not only in WHAT I eat, but also becaus ewe tend to just have 2 semi-big meals each day and that's it. I'm back on my plan today--and for the next 11 days--and those couple of pounds should come back off in no time (hopefully even for a little loss at this Thursday's TOPS meeting). I also started my liquid Centrum multivitamin and Calcium supplements today, so maybe my body will be a bit happier (and more awake?).

Alright, chickies, off to work. I got in way early this morning, so I don't feel bad about being on here at all Have a Marvelous Monday, andI 'll catch ya'll later!
Old 07-19-2005, 01:18 AM   #41  

I am home!! Who knew it would happen!! Josh woke up this morning and was feeling well enough to drive... thankfully he didn't know how bad he'd feel tonight... otherwise I'd be scrambling right now! The drive home was good, it was hot and sunny, we both got a little red spots (even WITH sunscreen!). It was about 38degrees Celcius along our trip, so we are glad to be back to the coolness of our place. Josh is now in bed with a dose of cough suppressant (the stuff that won't bother his liver), and I'm going to go join him in bed. I'm SO tired, and not sure how this re-entry into real life will go.

Jill - I think you should hook me up with your diet.. I'm going to start a clean eating plan for myself and Josh (including a morning smoothie, those things were addicting!), and can only hope I lose some of my vacation weight. I got on the scale when we got home, at night, after a shower, with a towel on my head, and with my period just starting today.. bad circumstances, possibly the worst actually.. it says I'm up 6 pounds from when I left, and 8 pounds from my ticker. eek! Josh weighed himself before his shower, and he lost 10 pounds (which I'm sure will be more like 12-15 when he weighs in the morning). I don't think his diet of throwing up and being sick for 3 weeks is so great...

Alrighty, I'm tired and am typing anything thats coming to my head.. so I'm going to go get some sleep and wake up to a NEW BETTER day tomorrow

-Aimee
Old 07-19-2005, 09:33 AM   #42  
Howie6267's Honey

Glad you're home safe and sound. Snuggle up in bed and get some rest, you. By the way, I read that flax seeds don't do the body any good unless they're ground up with a mortar and pestle (or a coffee grinder) or in the form of flax seed oil. If you eat them whole, they go the way of sesame seeds and such: straight through ya.

We're up early, heading out to Howie's MRI appointment. We called yesterday to make sure the insurance covered it, and it does. This morning, I had the thought that we should call and make sure they cover THIS facility. They don't cover it. BUT...The lady at the facility said they will make a notation on the bill that they'll submit the claim to our insurance, and if it's rejected, they'll just write it off. Evidently they've been trying to become an approved provider for a couple of years, and this is how they do things. I've never heard of such a thing; I guess they want to get as many referrals as they can, and if they have to write off a few, they do. Who knows...

One odd thing happened this morning as Howie stood in the doorway and let the dogs out back. He heard this *plop* and looked down to see a squirrel laying on the patio. It had fallen off the roof! Emma was as startled as Howie was. The squirrel jumped back up and climbed the brick wall to the roof again, ran a ways down the roof, and fell off the house again. LOL! I bet it got into some fermented corn or something. Drunk rodents, just what the world needs.

Crazy morning, ladies.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:44 PM   #43  
Eating for two!

Aimee--so glad you guys still got to go home together! And no, I don't think you could have possibly weighed yourself under worse conditions. Just wait a few days and think about how amazed you'll be to see you dropped like 4 pounds in no time (i.e., no towel on head, no pms bloating, no wet hair...)

Kimberley--good LORD that drunken squirrel storry almost got me laughing out loud in my cubicle! I could just picture this clumsy little squirrel wobbling around, falling off the roof, then doing it again... I haven encountered some unusually smart rodents in my day, but no drunk ones! My cat (who lives with my parents) catches rodents and garter snakes and grasshoppers for us all the time and meows until someone comes outside to see what it is. Well, one time, she caught a chipmunk (which she has done before, the good little hunter). She had it in her mouth and dropped it when we went outside to see what she had. There it was, poor little chipmunk laying on the front step. My dad picked it up and carried it over to the woods at the edge of our yard (as he did with all of her prey), but when he put it on the ground, the darn thing jumped up and ran away! Some people think it was stunned, but I think it knew all along and was playing dead!

Well, peeking at the scale, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to have a loss this week, but I'm hoping to stay the same. I wouldn't call my diet a failure, though, because even if I gain 1.5 pounds this week (which I highly doubt I will), I'll still average 3 pounds lost each week for the past 3 weks (since I have lost 10.5 in the past 2 weeks). That's good enough results for me
Old 07-19-2005, 11:19 PM   #44  

Kimberley - I have a coffee grinder ONLY for flax seeds (golden flax, kept in the freezer!).. I am prepared My mom uses flax seed oil instead of regular oil in salad dressings.. she's all about getting the right kinds of fat. We both take essential fatty acids, I take mine to reduce that monthly bloating. Healthy eating is so complex I tell yah! Your squirrel sounds freaky! I can't imagine how I'd react if I saw all of that, scream, laugh and then possibly scream again. heh.

Jill - tell me a typical day of meals for you on your new diet plan! You must be happy to see that scale moving quicker, I know I would be ! I gotonmy scale this morning, and it said 259.9, down 2.5 from last night with my wet hair and towels. I was still super bloated, so my real weigh in won't be until Monday once this pesky TOM is gone!

I think I lost some weight today, I got into work and the girl who was supposed to be working with me called in sick. She apparently fell down some stairs, I say apparently because she also got hit by a car last week... now all of this considered, shouldn't she be in a full body cast by now? I dunno, either way I worked alone from 9:30am until 6:30pm with no breaks, no potty breaks, nothing! And I hadn't brought anything to eat with me, so no snacking or ANYTHING! I am alive though, and the day went pretty quickly... I'm content with my life, so this didn't phase me. It's nice to be happy to be alive! The bf and I are going to have to do some major thinking, we live in a crappy area... it's time for us to move on. We'll see what'll happen, I would enjoy moving to a smaller town on the lake, Kelowna I think. I'm just thinking out loud.. I'm going to go drink some water.. talk to you gals later!!

-Aimee
Old 07-20-2005, 01:23 AM   #45  
Howie6267's Honey

Hey, ya'll. Howie's MRI went well, aside from him being really sore from having to lie still on the table for 45 minutes.

Jill, we peeked at the scale, too. On our way home, we dropped Howie's films off at the doctor's office, so I got my blood pressure checked (166/70, yeah!) and we both weighed in so we could go straight home and check his mom's scale against the doctor's. Both said 218....bah!! We'd had coffee and eaten lunch just before that, though.

What would it be like to be some skinny person who never gives a thought to the scale? I tell ya, sometimes I really hate having to obsess about every little morsel, every pound...And it's discouraging to think that's going to be a fact of life until the day I die. I mean, it's worth it -- I would never want to go back to where I was -- but it's still frustrating sometimes.

Aimee, looks like you're not the only one doing some introspection today.
Closed Thread