Old 07-11-2005, 10:41 AM   #61  
Life is a cabaret

Hey thanks for the welcome Naughtyangel.

Let's see.. how to describe Medifast.. well, mainly, it's a high soy protein, low fat, low carb meal replacement program. The diet itself has been around for over 20 years and has substantial success with helping those who are moderately to morbidly overweight to lose weight in a healthy and slightly faster way than most other diets.

There are two main programs you can follow. One is called the 5 and 1 program, where you consume 5 meal replacements a day and have one measured out "lean and green" meal. This is usually some sort of vegetable or salad greens with a lean protein like chicken. The portions are measured out to ensure the correct caloric intake, but this is only done once a day. The second program is called the Complete program where you consume only 5-6 meal replacements a day and nothing else. This program should be monitored by a doctor.

The meal replacements are varied - there is flavored oatmeal, chili, shakes, pudding, soup, snack bars, chai latte and a few others I can't remember. I'm doing the Complete program and, at the moment, I'm opting to drink only the shakes as I'm trying to get rid of some very bad habits I have with food. Whichever plan you follow, you are advised to drink at least 2 cold shakes and you may only eat 1 snack bar per day due to the higher carb content.

Most people do very well on either program and are not hungry after the first 3 days. I can vouch for that personally. Since I've started, my IBS has not acted up once, I have no hunger, no headaches and I'm steadily gaining more energy. My first 2 days were awful as my body rid itself of all the junk I'd been feeding it for ages. I had a headache from noon on day 1 to the evening of day 2. I read that you are also allowed 2 bouillon a day and 2 dill pickles to give you a boost of potassium. Once I had the bouillon, I was good to go the evening of day 2 and haven't looked back since.

So far, I lost 11lbs in 9 days. I haven't weighed myself yet this week - I'm waiting until Wednesday morning when I'll start week 3. I'm dying of anxiousness to see what it reads!

The program, at first glance, seems quite pricey. I paid $290 for a 28 day supply of shakes. However, when I broke it down, it really is not much more expensive than grocery shopping. The last diet I was on, which required fish, chicken breast, ground turkey, eggs, fruti and vegetables ran me around $110 every two weeks. $220 versus $290 really didn't seem like that big of a difference, especially since it works!

I believe that no diet is for everyone, but if you can make it through the first 3 days, you'll find that all the hunger goes away, my over-production of stomach acid went away and you don't have to drive yourself into the ground with exercise to make it work. In fact, they recommend that if you aren't used to exercising you should not exercise for at least the first month and if you are used to it, you should halve your routine. I've gone from doing 3 day at Curves doing 3 circuits to 2 times a week and one circuit. I've never been a gym-aholic so this diet suits me just fine!

I should note that this is NOT a fad diet. This diet has been endorsed by the Johns Hopkins University Medical Team and has been proven to work if you follow it correctly. Soy protein can also lower triglyceride levels as well as cholesterol levels.

Anyway, that's about it. I think I covered everything but if you have anymore questions, just please ask.

Alisha
HourglassLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:11 AM   #62  

But what do you do when you get to goal weight? <Honestly. Not wanting to be a PITA here.> I don't think I'd learn better habits that way and then I'd just end up fat again. And broke. But that's me. I'm glad it's working so well for you! Really.
Shalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 01:26 PM   #63  
Life is a cabaret

Hey Shalia, I don't mind answering any questions so don't feel awkward or like you're being a pain. I'm here to help.

So in answer to your question, once you hit goal, especially on the Complete program, there is a six week transitional period where you slowly introduce foods back into your diet. Then you go on the maintenance program, which consists of special supplements that help you maintain your weight in conjunction with eating normal food. Bear in mind that these are similar to the supplements I mentioned above as well as complete meals if you choose to use those. (Similar to Lean Cuisine but better for you). You can also use the supplements as a daily product to maintain your weight forever if you want to.

For example: I hate to cook and I'm always getting up late. Therefore, I'm chronic at missing breakfast. So, I could get up in the morning, have an oatmeal supplement, take 2 snack bar supplements to work for an AM and PM snack (you can have more bars when you're in maintenance), have a grilled chicken salad for lunch and BBQ chicken with veggies for dinner. This isn't set in stone, it's just the way I'm planning on using it. Soy protein is very good for you, as I mentioned above re: triglycerides and cholesterol, so I don't think I'd ever want to cut it back out of my diet. Even if I couldn't order supplements for some reason, I'd opt to purchase tofu and get it that way. I should note that the supplements are better because they also have a LOT of vitamins in them. In fact, I get the exact same vitamins and amounts (100% or more) as my mother does when she takes her multi-vitamin.

Although the plan seems like it would simply throw you back to the way you were, it subconsciously builds healthy eating techniques along the way. When you use the food supplements such as chili or oatmeal, it shows you what a portion size should look like. It also teaches you to eat 5 or 6 smaller meals a day as opposed to 3 large ones or skipping breakfast altogether (like me), glutting yourself at lunch because you're starving and then eating something silly like cereal for dinner because you had a big lunch. And, because you can use these supplements interchangably for the rest of your life, it's great to have some to hand in case you put on 5 or 10lbs. That way you know you'd only have to eat more supplements and less food until you get back to your goal weight and it would only take a week or so. For someone like me who doesn't have the patience of losing 150 lbs at 1 or 2lbs a week, this was the obvious choice. I also hate to cook and can have a very hectic schedule so it's MUCH better grabbing a soup, chili or shake supplement I can eat on the go rather than stop at the local Mickey D's or eat nothing at all.

Before I purchased my supplements, I did some calculating. If I did Weight Watchers, losing at 2lbs a week, it would take me 75 weeks to reach my goal weight of 110lbs. At $13.00 a meeting, that is $975 I'd be spending in fees alone, not including the weeks where you plateau or don't lose at all. THEN I have to buy all the food! Whereas, the weight loss is between 4 to 5lbs a week on this diet so I wouldn't have to be on it for nearly as long. I also don't want to open myself up for another obssession with counting points or whatever. I'd rather learn the 'by eye' method as it's healthier for my pshyche.

Like I said, it certainly is not the answer to everyone, but I can promise you that there are three main things that will keep me from putting this weight back on. 1) Because I LIKE the supplements (they taste great) and they are convenient so I will use them AND their frozen meals; 2) because I don't want to go through the de-toxification stage again (those first 3 days were hard!) and 3) because I will be wearing what I want to wear, I will have more energy (I already do), I will be comfortable in my own skin and I will not hurt anymore. There isn't a day that goes by that my knees and feet don't hurt (I only wear a 6, that's terribly small to drag around 150lbs of fat!) I just don't want to hurt anymore.

If you want to read more about maintenance and the transitional phases, check out www.medifast1.com and it should be able to tell you what you want to know. I'm always here to answer questions too, although I haven't reached those phases yet.

I can promise you one thing - I would never endorse anything that A) wasn't healthy and B) I didn't believe in. I believe in this with my whole heart.

Alisha

Last edited by HourglassLass; 07-11-2005 at 01:29 PM.
HourglassLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:30 PM   #64  
Takin back the old me!

Hello Everyone.....

Thanks for the info Alisha. I have done a program just like that in the past. I am sure I could have been more successful but I moved and now I can't afford it.

I am doing fairly well with cutting calories and trying to eat more healthy. I know that I would do better if I exercise. So tomorrow I plan to get more serious with my weight loss efforts and start reaching my mini goals.

I actually went swimming today for half an hour so I would say I am off to a good start. Hopefully I will keep it up.

I am going to try to go to bed early so I was just checking in......I hope you all had a great day!
Naughtyangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 09:03 AM   #65  

OK, so it's the first PMS <that I could weigh in on, darn hospital> since getting serious here. How much weight in water <on average?> do you guys gain for PMS? I *know* that even though the scale said 3lbs heavier I'm just not that talented. And I've exercised like a fiend. Can your muscles retain water too? When they are getting exercise again for the first time in a long time?

My legs hurt like ****. Didn't even go out this morning. Couldn't make myself. *sigh*
Old 07-12-2005, 06:39 PM   #66  

S/C/G: 266/ticker/199

Height: 5'6"

I've been doing pretty bad the last week. We went to a few family picnics and there was an employee appreciation day at work. Boy did I pig out on shrimp and lobster. I need a kick in the butt to get me back on track.
Thanks for letting me vent. I hope everybody else is doing better than me.

Karla
quyana21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 07:27 PM   #67  
Takin back the old me!

<<<<<<<<<KICK>>>>>>>>>......Hey Karla, this ones for you It will be better from now on right? LOL

I am in the middle of packing a day bag for tomorrow so I am just checkin in real quick....So far so good today.
I have exercised and gotten have my water in.

Hope everyone is having a good day
Old 07-12-2005, 09:22 PM   #68  

Karla: KICK!!!!!! <Did that work? Great, now kick me.>

My med that I'm worrying about is now causing the carbohydrate cravings it's known for. *sigh* And I'm depressed as all get out and had to leave work because I was flipping out too badly. This sucks. I hardly drank any water today, ate cheesecake, yeah. Today was a friggin mess.

But I'm going to run tomorrow. I don't even work tomorrow <since I've been yoinked from work again> so I can find time easily, even if it's just the treadmill.

So again KICK Karla and Woo-hoo naughtyangel for getting in her exercise and water. <I *so* need to make water my next goal.> *hugs all*
Old 07-12-2005, 11:05 PM   #69  

Have to happy dance in here. :happy dance: I *did it*! I decided I wasn't going to sit in the house and mope so I went to find out if the treadmill at our apartments was open and it was and I did day 1 of the couch to 5K program and it didn't even kill me. Woo hoo!

OK, happy dance over. Just had to share. Whee!
Old 07-13-2005, 12:23 PM   #70  
Looking for Thin

Congrats on everyone's successes. I wish I could say the same. I'm getting ready to start my monthly and I have an upset stomach. I've been on vacation this week and needless to say, it has been a disaster diet wise. I got a lot of exercise in at Indiana Beach on Monday from the walking and the steps you have to climb to get on the rides. I've been eating everything in sight. At least it seems that way. I know at this point I don't feel like I'm ever going to lose this weight. I know how but making the right choices isn't always easy to do. I'm getting very frustrated and at this point am scared to death of getting on the scales. I have to lose this weight. Logical solution, I need to do what it takes to lose the weight and quit whining, right? I know. I'm sorry to be a downer. I'm not usually like this. I guess it's the PMS kicking in. I'm going to start by making two small goals for next week.

1. Drink 60 oz of water
2. Elliptical for at least 20 minutes

I can do this. Thank you for listening to me rant. It helps tremendously to know someone cares.
squiggly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 03:34 PM   #71  

Shelly those sound like great goals. And yes, YOU CAN DO IT. I have faith in you. *needs a cheerleader emoticon*
Old 07-13-2005, 10:06 PM   #72  

Unhappy

Hey girls,
so sorry i disappeared on you there but i have been caught up in some personal issues...not that any excuse but anyways i did miss posting here and it's really good to see everyone making progress and still working hard at it.
I have not been working out for the past week but food wish i have been doing really good so needless to say i am really looking forward to weigh-in on Saturday.
Right i would like to focus more on working out and getting my water in.
Hope you guys can forgive me
Vanessas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 02:26 PM   #73  

Of course we forgive you Vanessa. Rule #1 in online life is real life always takes priority. *hugs*

I'm not looking forward to weighing in on Sat. either, but that's mainly cause I'm PMSing right now and I can FEEL the bloat. *sniff*

Hope everything is going well with you now. *hugs*
Old 07-15-2005, 02:20 PM   #74  

Well, as people can see, my mini-goal was for today. And I still have 6 lbs to go. *sigh* So I'm kind of bummed about that.

BUT I do have good news too.

Measurements as of start date: 13Jun05
Bust/Chest - 45.5"
Waist - 42"
Hips - 50.5"
Thighs - 26.75"
Neck - 15.25"
Arms - 13.75"

CURRENT measurements as of 15July05
Bust/Chest - 45"
Waist - 40.25"
Hips - 48.5"
Thighs - 27" <I'm running as exercise, I'm not concerned about an increase right now.>
Neck - 14.75"
Arms - 13.75" <I think I need some upper body exercises.>

Grand total: 4.5" lost over my body. *woohoo* So I didn't make the weight goal, but I'm definately losing inches. Booyah!!

Time to find a new ticker and a new goal.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:01 PM   #75  
Takin back the old me!

Hello Everyone....

Welcome Back Vanessa, I hope that things are getting back to normal for you now.

I also have a monthly visitor but I am going to weigh in tomorrow anyway and hopefully next Sat I will see a loss that will factor in a loss for this week too. I have been doing really good and I am even getting more exercise and water in so "YEAH" for me.

Tomorrow I am going to a Luau and there is going to be a buffet so wish me luck on being good and not overeating I will let you know hw that goes.

So I am not looking forward to weighing in but here are some
(((((((((((good luck vibes))))))))))) for everyone before getting onm that scale!