Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 11:12 PM   #106  

So glad that I am not encourage a variation of the "Eggplant that ate Chicago" in my backyard... (do you all remember that phrase?!! Was it a movie title, a song, or what....) The melon picked is cantaloupe sized, smooth and doesn't have any smell (yet!!) I think if I painted it silver I could cheat in a shot put competition......

There aren't any other little punkin's that I can see yet... I love the idea of scratching the names of the books of the Bible into them!! Hosea!! Amos!

Ciao. I have to check and see if DH, recently returned home from corporate travels is done making our reservations for MORE extensive travels next week!!
Old 06-17-2005, 11:16 PM   #107  
loves kleenex box art

Events of today because of church affiliation:
1. woman picked up DS, took him to her and paid him $50 to trim some bushes
2. she bought him lunch at Sonic.
3. church choir director called DS to ask him to help out Sunday night by videotaping something.
4. woman from church called to see how test results were for me.

All good stuff. Getting DS involved in just wonderful.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:37 AM   #108  
Member w/ messiest house

Call me when they start showing up at your door when you're not dressed. Just kidding. I'm glad he's getting involved. 'Sgood thing.

Oh, you picked the thing, Painty? I once had a tomato plant sprout where I had planted a bean plant. The bean plant withered and croaked. I decided it was because I had put compost around the plant and that still had viable tomato seeds in it from the season before. Nature is fickle.

Gotta go get ready for the final recital of the season--DD's guitar recital in Othertown. Her little student (age 8) is playing "Amazing Grace" also. Too cute.

Ta Have a good weekend.

Kiwi
Old 06-18-2005, 04:11 PM   #109  

Yes, I picked it... It was just bigger (even for Texas) than any think I expected in my back yard. The preponderance of opinion is that it would have been a pumpking... by October.... I think there were pumpking seeds in some rogue birdseed i bought after my favorite store shut town. There are lots more blooms and teensy "fruit" though... so there might be one after all.

I meant to get up early early and pull grass out of my flower beds. But I slept better knowing DH was home... so we went out for brunch instead. I'm suppoed to be cleaning my office...!! If it cools back down (and doesn't storm), I'll hack at the Dallas Grass later.

DH got plane and motel reservations made so we can go to Boston together this next week. I'm afraid to ask what it cost with such late notice! But I think he's aware that we should do things while we want to and CAN... rather than put everything off. That's the GOOD news about being faced with mortality!!

Last edited by PainterWoman; 02-27-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:34 PM   #110  
Member w/ messiest house

Nice! A trip! Next weekend we are taking a road trip -- driving to Rhode Island and back in one 24 hour period. Okay, that's not exactly a vacation. We have to leave at 2am, drive for 7 hours, get DD checked in at Brown plus have a campus tour and orientation and lunch, and leave around 3pm and drive home. Sounds pretty awful actually. The perils of being pressed for time and cheap as heck to boot.

Got back from the recital. It was very nice. DD's little student did a nice job on her song and DD was a smashing success. She played electric guitar and sang, while her teacher played the electric bass. She did a song by Clann Zu called "Ri Ra". This might work DD says it means "uproar" in Irish.

Kiwi
Old 06-19-2005, 06:26 PM   #111  
Member w/ messiest house

'sup? I've been to BigCity discarding my kid. I mean dropping her off at Girls State. Then I went downtown, bought a book at the used book store, took a walk, got coffee and a butterfly shaped cookie at Starbux and drove home.

I'm depressed already.

Kiwi
Old 06-19-2005, 09:28 PM   #112  
haggy-saggy aprongutarse

Ohhhhhh Keewonkers----i Feel Bad About You Missin Your Girl====i Know How You Feel ---i Hate It When The Girls Go Away----although At This Point With The House Full I Am A Little Distant From The Sensation=====you Will Cherish This Coming Year Soooooo Much====but I Do Remember Feeling Happy--sad At The Same Time----especially When The Musical Finished----- I Don't Want To Make You Feel Worse,but Let Me Just Say,i Always Cried When They Left---but They Always Came Back---and So Will Your Little Sweetie!!!!xxoxoxoxo
Old 06-19-2005, 10:32 PM   #113  

Oooooh, Brown!!! My son's bestest JR. high friend went to Brown... as did several of my grown up friends... I hope DD loves it....

Having them thrilled at the wild big world seems to make them appreciate home more.

I was soooooooooooooooooooooo bored because I never got to leave my parents that the minute I had a chance, I fled!!

Best to all. Will be in BeanTown all week... and will snitch DH's laptop as often as possible.

I was down 1 more # this am. Wheeeeeeeeeeeee
Old 06-19-2005, 10:40 PM   #114  
Member w/ messiest house

~weep~ Just kidding, I got over it. For now. Why don't I just come up and visit you, Bagz?

Way to go on another pound, Painty. Have fun in Beantown.

Kiwi
Old 06-20-2005, 03:25 PM   #115  
Member w/ messiest house

HEY! Where are you? I'm home alone. Rescue meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:21 PM   #116  
fatter than U

Talking

I'm heeeeeeere, Kiwi! Just busy doing stuff.

Hmmm,I can't even remember if my parents missed me when I went off to university.

I became one with my walking tape on Saturday and this morning but am still fat. Trying desperately to stay under the top number on my ticker. Bleh. Just ate some watermelon. Now I have a stomach ache.

Nice pimpkin, Painty!
Old 06-20-2005, 07:13 PM   #117  
Member w/ messiest house

I don't believe it ever occurred to me that my mother might miss me when I went to college (my father actually saw me more often than before because I was 1000 miles closer). I've a feeling I heard her say that she'd miss me and it didn't really mean anything to me. Obviously I was a self-centered twerp. I do remember hearing from my sister in law one time that my mom was worried that I was "on drugs" because my letters (yes, I did write home now and then) were "weird".

Lord, I'm pooped. I've been vacuuming and washing windows. Okay, I vacuumed the first floor and I washed one window. But that window took me forever because I had to clear off the counter and windowsill and a ton of cobwebs and then wrestle with the stupid window (we have horrible stupidly designed windows in this house). And of course, the window is so defective that even though it's now clean, it still looks dirty because there is some cr** between the 2 panes.

Turns out that DD being gone frees up a whole lot of my time.

I also found a flattened dead mouse in the mudroom. MMM good eats.

Kiwi
Old 06-20-2005, 09:31 PM   #118  

I think my son had very mixed feelings about being the one kid left when his sister and step-brother had BOTH moved on to college... He tried to relish it... but I think all the parents focused on whoever was most visible. (He hid a lot!!)

My feelings of missing my daughter were based on my intention never to return home after I went to college... Turns out she doesn't want to go back to TEXAS, but she has nothing against me! What a relief!

It's come to my attention that remarks about "old folks" (or something similar) bruised some feelings... It is a defense mechanism on my part, OK? If I call MYSELF old, maybe I'll get used to it... and at 50+.... I'm no spring chicken.

Best to each and all.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:02 PM   #119  
Member w/ messiest house

This is what a famous blogger has to say about Canadians:
Quote:
This is alls I got to say:

1) Y’all Canadians is NAAAAHHHCE. I have never in my life met a nicer group of people. People were nice to us EVERYWHERE, always talking and asking us if we were having a good time. This totally beats out the South when it comes to nice because in the South people are nice to you ‘cause they know they mama is gonna beat them back home if they ain’t. In Vancouver people were nice because THAT’S WHO THEY ARE. Except, they don’t have Super Target or TiVo.

That’s not a joke. You can’t pause live television in Canada.

Plans to relocate to Vancouver: TEMPORARILY DELAYED.

2) Lots of y’all wrote to tell me that y’all don’t talk like that, meaning: aboot! and oot!

Here’s the truth: YOU ALL DO. Stop the denial. I heard ABOOT more than a hundred times and then I lost count. It’s not annoying, in fact, I loved it. It made me want to package you all into little morsels and claim you on my customs form while going through the airport.
I just thought I'd share that.

Just because.
Kiwi
Old 06-21-2005, 02:20 AM   #120  
fatter than U

I read that one too, Kiwi. Yeah, dooce finally had something to say that didn't focus around the fruit of her loins. I used to read her all the time but it's getting a bit old now, I find. YMMV I suppose I should learn to write like that first and THEN complain.

In one of my alternate lives I once met an adorable sailor from California who laughed his head off when I said 'aboot' and 'boot'. Hmmph.
Closed Thread