Old 07-09-2005, 09:32 AM   #121  
Give peace a chance.

Thanks for all your concern--we do have our a/c back, and it is a blessing! The man who installed it, though, said we need to watch out for some underlying reason why it failed. (HE didn't think it was lightning, tho his boss did.) So our fingers are crossed.

Nita--Hope it works for Gene to be home. Thought I would mention that there is an appeal process if you truly decide it was too early. Also, one of the University of Kansas professors has developed a video. It's supposed to help Parkinson's patients with balance, but I asked her if it would be useful for Earl, and she promptly wrote me back and said she certainly thought it would. You could find the information on the University of Kansas web site.

Hal--is your school airconditioned? I should think August would be quite unpleasant if it isn't. We have a hassle here, because the older (and generally poorer) schools don't have a/c, and the new ones, in the well-to-do neighborhoods. But of course retrofitting is far more expensive than installing it from the beginning. Our neighborhood school, incidentally, is one of the ones Langston Hughes attended.

KS Authors Club today. Must run.
Catlover777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 11:38 AM   #122  

Default RE: Um, from me to you...!

Good Saturday Morning Movers and Losers!

This week I tried a low fat chocolate soy milk by 8th Planet. It was so good I think I'll try it again. It not only helps with cravings for chocolate, but serves as a protein serving, and is low fat.

Did you all hear on the news about 8 cows being destroyed that were born from a cow linked to mad cow in ****Texas****! It is the first time I've seen mad cow linked to our country other than the west coast.

Here is a recipe for Mango Salsa, using veggies that are better this time of year than ever. I think keep the carbs to healthy ones (fruits, veggies and whole grains) is key to keeping the pounds off. I saw a guy on a morning news show yesterday that published a book with pictures of EVERYTHING he ate for an entire year. Can you imagine? Anyway, I noticed he began each day with oatmeal and end each day with a bowl of cereal. Fiber, fiber, fiber moving the food on through the body before it stays with us. He was the size of a bean pole. So, anyway... Mango Salsa!

Mango Salsa

Servings | 4

Serve this with a store-bought roasted chicken for an effortless meal.

Ingredients

2 medium mango(es), finely diced
1 medium sweet red pepper(s), finely diced
1/2 medium red onion(s), finely chopped
1/2 medium jalapeno pepper(s), seeded and minced
1 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste

Instructions

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Note: Omit jalapeņo if you do not want salsa to be spicy.) Yields about 2/3 cup per serving.

A friend of mine met a guy yesterday that is on WW and has lost 75 pounds. He said he has a friend that has lost just under a 100 pounds. Our programs here are running about $50 a month - which I find a tad high. Also, we have one day a week for meetings only. I need something with more flexibility. If I have a meeting of a class scheduled that day/evening I am out of a meeting. But honestly the $$$$ is what shocks me. I think the place would be full of folks if they cut the prices a tad. Everything is getting expensive, our gasoline took a 20 cent leap this week, and then another 10 cent leap. AS the prices of all commodies rise in direct proportion.

Happy weekend girls!
HalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 04:45 PM   #123  

Good afternoon ladies,

Hal - I like to watch Rachel Ray - meals in 30 minutes and also Paul Dean's southern home cooking. I don't cook alot but I like to get the food tips. I have tried a few of the recipes and they are good.

Cat - glad your a/c is back on.

Nita - I'm glad your able to get some nursing care at home. Like Hal said try not to stress to much. You take care of your self too. Keep doing a few things for you like your bowling.

Shad - Hope you have fun with your niece and nephew watching the game.

As for me, didn't exercise last night or so far today. I have got to get two more treadmill walks in by sunday night.

Hope everyone is having a great day!
1day@atime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 05:24 PM   #124  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Sunny Sunday morning here. We have been promised rain and cold and wind but so far there isn't the slightest indication that this will happen.
Yesterday I didn't get to the gym, so will try to go this morning, however there is so much to do here I may just skip it altogether and say 4 times is enough this week.

I have an old tap in the kitchen that has been dripping and which I thought I had stripped the thread trying to turn it off so hard. Yesterday I took the thing apart - mainly to see how it worked and to see what I had to do to replace it. Found that DS2 has put a universal seat on the tap and this had come loose. A quick tighten with the allem keys and she works again, but is still dripping. So while I was at the hardware store bought some new washer thingys. Today I need to turn the water off again and fit this. I guess that while I'm there I might as well do the rest as well. If one goes, the others can't be too far behind. At least the new taps in the bathroom don't need doing.

Had the niece around last night. Nephew decided that the series was won and therefore no longer needed his support and so did not come. Their Dad (my DB2) appeared on the scene around half time, stayed long enough for a glass of wine and for niece to wrap the present for the party he was going to later. Watched us cheer and dance and jig about and then yell at the ref about the state of his spectacles. Shook his head sadly and wandered off into the wild blue yonder.

Yesterday while the car was having its tyres checked and the wheel balance done, I wandered into the hardware/ nursery store and bought a few more plants (some herbs, some veges and some pansies and petunias (bright red)). The pansies and petunia will be planted in a pot with the New Zealand Christmas Bush I bought yesterday (has bright red bottle brush flowers and attracts birds). I also got a new orchid for the brother (DB1) since he is a tad down at the moment. His DW has been diagnosed with a pancreatic tumour - this is the one who had to retire through ill health and deep vein thrombosis last Christmas and has not really been well since. I've got her a couple of plants as well since she loves her garden and has a beautiful house and garden. We are not sure whether the tumour is cancerous. There appears to be some doubt. The powers that be have decided to wait a month and then check again to see if the size has increased. If so, out it comes. Blood test are negative in that respect.

So today is:
Sand the ceiling where I replastered.
1st coat on the ceiling
1st coat of top coat on the wall
Chip another tile off the floor.
Gym if I can make it
Plant these seedlings
Change the bed and wash the linen
Clean the kitchen
Fix the taps.
Fold yesterdays washing and do the ironing.

Looking at that. It's time to get started. Back later to catch up with you all.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 05:58 PM   #125  

S/C/G: 148.8

Height: 5 ft

Hi Ladies,

I can see you ladies are sure busy! Thanks for your words of wisdom in regards to stress at this sort of complicated time of my life. I spent part of this afternoon putting together a shower chair and installing one of those special toilet seats. He really is doing quite well and is using his four-wheel walker. He is also taking care of emptying his catheter. Now that he is home I am not nearly as organized as I was before, but is always being organized the most important thing in life!

So much is happening my friends I bowl with her husband ended up in the hospital Friday and he is still there. He, too, is a diabetic and hopefully nothing serious is wrong with him.

HalGal--I love the graphic you devoted to me. Those words make a lot of sense. Also, I appreciate the fact that you enjoyed having your grandmother even though she ended up being sick. That is one of the main reasons we really are considering moving back where family is. I have 12 grandchildren and 5 great grandchildren. Gene knows most of them and they really like him. I am still checking out the financial impact of doing this move. There are so many things to consider.

Well I had better get moving and get the clothes out of the dryer.

Take care,
Anita
Nita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 12:03 PM   #126  
Give peace a chance.

Default kickin' us back up

Hey, we can't be on p.2!

I was very disappointed--seems my neighborhood grocery isn't carrying any Starbucks ice cream--though they have a Starbucks in the store. I must look somewhere else for those appealing-sounding bars.

We'll be leaving for vacation on Tue., so you may not hear from me for a while.

Looks like the a/c repairs will total up to about $1,000. Ugh, we didn't need this. And I didn't get the promotion either--apparently I blew the interview, tho I didn't think it went so badly.

Well, next week is to think about storytelling--forget that silly job!

Love to all--
Catlover
Old 07-10-2005, 02:39 PM   #127  

Default RE: Hot, hot, hot...!

Page #2 you say? Say it ain't so!

It is really warm here today, along with high humidity. Add to the mix a water emergency with no use of essential water allowed until further notice makes for a miserable Sunday for folks. A main water pump is down, and evidently we service water to 3 surrounding counties also!

I had dinner at Red Lobster last evening. I am proud, as I ate about 1/3 of the serving and brought the rest home. It is in the refrigerator. I had a really good penne pasta dish with lobster, shrimp and fresh asparagus. I ordered my dressing on the side and used it frugally, and ate tooooo many of those dinner rolls. I admit, I could have done better, had one, and stopped.

I saw a neat recipe on the FOOD channel last night. This channel is going to be the end of me, I stay up too late at night watching it! Anyway, this dish was in a foil packet. Chopped, diced sweet potato, mango, sweet onion, diced red peppers, ((((((Thin)))))), cinnamon, brown sugar and olive oil. He put it on the grill, but you could easily put this in the oven on a cookie sheet. You could use the baking splenda product (which is 1/2 splenda and 1/2 sugar) and sweet and low version of brown sugar. I use this and enjoy it. Anyway... it sure looked good.

Do any of you listen to Bonnie Raitt? I have a friend that sent me a concert CD of hers from 1972. The clarity of the recording is awesome. She speaks about the writers of each song, mentioning 'Stevie Winwood' and 'Steve Stills' years before eithe of them would become famous. She closes with one of the best versions of "Since I Fell For You' I think I have ever hear. Inbetween songs they start the 'Tighten Up' guitar pull, remember that song... it only went on for a few seconds, but was too cool.

Nita: Good to hear Gene to perking up! I knew just being home would be of great relief to him. Now for you! Hang in there. I know what you mean about not being as organized as you want to me. That would be me lately.

CatLover: Have a great vacation. AS I return to work tomorrow! Are you doing anything special this time? On the job interview, you know I believe if it is meant to be - you got it - it will. And, the cynical part of me says so many times decisions are made, but interviews are made for protocal reasons. I'm kind of negative today, huh? I call it years of experience.

Shad: You are way too handy. You go girl. I don't think I would ever be brave enough to tackle plumbing. I am impressed.

Shout outs to MIA members Thin, Michellez and Mooz. Hope you are enjoying lurking - we know you are out there!

Last edited by HalGal; 07-10-2005 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:49 PM   #128  

Hello Ladies,

Hal - What the name of the recipe you just mentioned? That sounds good, just might have to try it now that I have my grill set up on the patio. You do know you can go to TVfoodnetwork and download the recipes? I can't believe you already have to be back at school. Seems like the start dates keep moving up.

Shad - you are a busy woman. I was getting tired just reading you list of things to do. Like Hal said you are a handywoman. Best of luck on your projects.

Nita - I"m glad to hear Gene is doing well. OH, you do have alot of family back home.

Cat - Have a safe trip? Sorry to hear about your unexpected a/c expenses.

As for me having a lazy sunday. Went to church, water plants, rested, moved water, rested and now chatting with you all. Ok, I guess I could get on the treadmill.

Old 07-11-2005, 01:17 PM   #129  

Bringing us to the top!

Old 07-11-2005, 02:44 PM   #130  
Give peace a chance.

One last check-in before vacation. Hal--yes, this is the National Storytelling Convention, so I'm really looking forward to it.

"Fortunately," the $18 for lunch, $25 for dinner seemed out of our budget range, so at least lunch will be a meal bar. Dinner may be a McD salad.

Hope you all do well.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:44 AM   #131  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Sorry, didn't manage to get here yesterday. Only got in to the site long enough to post on the other thread. I am a real morning person. If I don't get it (whatever it maybe) at least started in the morning it is not going to get done.

Most of my Sunday list got done. However the taps missed out. I just ran out of time and energy. They are top of the list for next weekend.

I'm still busily training away at work. I had thought that it may have calmed down by now, but all of a sudden we are getting people coming out of the woodwork claiming they need training for this or that or the other thing. Gotta just love them. I have been asked to stay on in this contract until Christmas. Might just do that if nothing else comes up that pays as well or is more interesting.

I presume that recipe is a type of salsa Halgal??? Sounds interesting. Might have a go at it myself when mangoes come back into season (that's around November here).

Cat - have a great holiday.

Nita - hope all is going well with the DH at home and that he is getting better all the time.

Better go get these dishes done and a load of washing on. Wednesday tomorrow - which means hump day. And I am only working for half a day. I have an eye appointment in the afternoon. Woohoo. Out of the office early.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 03:30 AM   #132  
Mooz

Hi there gals ....... sorry I have not been here recently. I am so tired most of the time and do not rellly feel like using the computer a lot. I have had a social worker round with me to find out if I can get a sitting service for my mother so that I can have a few hours to myself. That would be just great for me.
I will read the poste and call back later if I can ....... have a great day all.
mooz49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:02 AM   #133  

Default RE: Hang in there girls...

OK, I want a 'golden ticke't' to Willy Wonka to see hunka, hunka Johnny Depp. I am fascinated by his acting, and most of the movies he does. They are all different, and I appreciate something out of the way. Naturally a ticket to a chocolate factory is right up my alley.

I have just a few minutes this AM because I have some students meeting me in an hour to help fold and stuff 330 letters, application and brochures for the transitional program for incoming freshmen I run the first week of August. These things need to be in the mail today. I've been plogging along the last 2 days by myself, and decided to call in the troops yesterday afternoon. I am so happy to see how quickly 4 students promptly returned my calls, and volunteered to meet me there this morning.

I met an old friend for dinner last evening in from Los Angeles. She has her own company/business running a vocational rehabilitation company assisting folks making transistions during/after medical problems that change their living circumstances. She does very, very well. She has well over 400 current clients - she works with their insurance companies negoiating benefits and then assists in llving arrangements and such. It is pretty interesting work. I've kown her for just about 20 years now. I think I posted earlier it has been 15 years, but actually 20 years.

It is pouring rain here today, and that is good. We are in the middle of a moderate dought.

Diet is so, so... and exercise is improving. I am beginning to move around more and get active again. Altho, I'd appreciate a nice quiet hole for another month. Sad, but true. I miss my enthusiastic outlook that seems to have slipped away. I hope it comes back soon. I know 'they say' give it time, but gosh. I am actively seeking out the positive and praying for the best.

Nita and Mooz: You both are in my thoughts and prayers also.

CatLover: Enjoy your vacation!!!

OneDay: I'll start paying attenton to the names of the recipes. I did not know you could get the recipes on line. You know, last night I was up once again until 1AM watching Emmeril Live. This has to stop!

Shad: I am a morning person also. I get so much more done in the AM, and by the way there is nothing like a nice afternoon nap, right!

Hang in there movers and losers!
Old 07-13-2005, 01:08 PM   #134  

Hello Ladies,

Mooz - Hope your able to get some assistance. I'm sure a few hours a day would make a big difference for you. Let you get out of the house.

Shad - I too am a morning person. Unfortunately most of my morning are in a office. Hope your able to get all your errans done.

Hal - the web site is great. After you've seen a program you can do to the site and download the recipe.

Cat - have a great time!

As for me, work has been busy. This friday night family is all coming to my house for a barbeque. We'll we just having burgers and hot dogs. It's my mom's b-day, so we all getting together. Guess I need to start cleaning house this evening.

Old 07-13-2005, 02:39 PM   #135  

S/C/G: 148.8

Height: 5 ft

Good afternoon ladies,

Mooz -- I have a taste of what you are going through. Although Gene has come a long way since 6 weeks ago, he still has a ways to go. However, I can leave him long enough to do shopping and even get in my bowling. Today he even got into the shower without my being present. I told him that was not a smart thing to do. Since I complained so much we are going to the urologist's office on Friday and perhaps the Doctor's assistant can schedule the necessary out-patient surgery he will require.

Diet-wise, I am starting out breakfast great but then I sort of go downhill after that. I did get a Maganizer and it allows you to use it on the table for your arms and on the floor as a bicycle for your legs. I am doing the table exercises and perhaps it will help my upper arms.

Well I need to go and make lunch so I can get ready for bowling.

Take care ladies and have a "super" day!
Anita
Nita is offline   Reply With Quote