3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   Movin' And Losin' Part 17 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/58843-movin-losin-part-17-a.html)

HalGal 06-08-2005 10:28 PM

RE: Wednesday...

http://www.imgag.com/product/full/ap...8/graphic1.jpg

Ahhhhh...Sum,Sum,Summertime...!!!

I hope this finds everyone staying cool and doing well this week. I've been doing as little as possible and enjoying every minute of it. Diet has been good, but I expect it to improve as the month moves along. I watched a very cool healthy cooking show called Christina Cooks on PBS yesterday. She had lots of input on why/how foods are healthful that I have honestly never heard. Here is a link to her website:

http://www.christinacooks.com/

Here is an interesting article on the nutritional value(s) of apples. ;)

Red Delicious: King of the Apple Orchard?

More Antioxidants Than 7 Other Apple Varieties, Canadian Study Shows

May 26, 2005 -- If apples had feelings, some might be just a tad jealous of the Red Delicious variety right now.

Canadian scientists say Red Delicious apples have more antioxidants called polyphenols than seven other apple varieties. The findings appear in the June 29 issue of the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, an American Chemical Society (ACS) publication.

But there's no need to get bent out of shape about it, says researcher Rong Tsao, PhD, of Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada in Guelph, Ontario.

"When taste and texture do not matter, choosing an apple with a high proportion of polyphenols in the flesh and skin can potentially produce more health benefits. But eating any apple is better than eating no apple at all," says Tsao in an ACS news release.

'A' Is for Apple … and Antioxidant

Scientists already knew that apples are loaded with antioxidants, which protect against "free radicals" that may cause problems including cancer, heart disease, and Alzheimer's disease.

Last November, researchers reported that an antioxidant called quercetin in apples appeared to protect rat brain cells from free radicals. But those lab tests didn't involve living rats.

In March, other scientists said apples may protect against breast cancer. That study was also based on rats, not people.

Want nutrition tips, plus the latest news on healthy eating? Sign up for the Diet & Nutrition newsletter.

There are different types of antioxidants; polyphenols are the main source of antioxidants in apples, say Tsao and colleagues. They wanted to see if any particular polyphenols stood out and which apples rated highest for polyphenol content.

Taste had nothing to do with it. Tsao's team was probably too busy peeling and producing apple extracts. They analyzed apple skin and flesh separately, measuring polyphenol levels.

Polyphenol Champ

There wasn't a bad apple in the bunch, and the peels had many more antioxidants than the flesh. Here are the rankings for flesh phenol content:

Red Delicious
Northern Spy
Ida Red
Cortland
McIntosh
Golden Delicious
Mutsu
Empire
Red Delicious apples had more than twice as many polyphenols as Empire apples, the study shows.

What about Gala, Granny Smith, Pink Lady, Jonagold, Fuji, and other apple varieties? They weren't in the running. Tsao's team studied apples that are popular in Canada, not the U.S. All of the apples came from the same farm and were grown under the same conditions.

Delicious Data

The mildly sweet Red Delicious apple is a "classic … America' favorite snacking apple," says the Washington Apple Commission's web site.

It's got lots of company. There are 7,500 apple varieties grown worldwide, says the University of Illinois Extension's web site. A medium apple has about 80 calories and 5 grams of fiber; Americans eat nearly 20 pounds of fresh apples (about 65 apples) per year, says the university.

Gourmet Guide

Red Delicious apples may be antioxidant heavyweights, but your taste buds might appreciate a little variety. Here's a look at the Washington Apple Commission's guide to other apples:

Golden Delicious: Mellow and sweet
Gala: Crisp, snappy, aromatically sweet
Fuji: Immensely flavorful, crisp, big, super sweet; originally from Japan
Granny Smith: Extremely tart, juicy, crisp; often used in pies
Braeburn: Rich, sweet-tart, spicy flavor; very firm
Jonagold: Juicy, orange-tinted, delicate flavor
Pink Lady: Unique tangy-tart, sweet flavor
Cameo: Sweet with a zingy crunch
Some varieties -- like Granny Smith, Jonagold, and Pink Lady -- are favorites in pies, and all of them make good salad ingredients (as well as snacks), says the commission.

That's a wrap for this hump day girls! :angel: :cofdate: :sunny: :comp: :flow2: :flow1: :angel:

1day@atime 06-09-2005 01:32 PM

Hello Ladies,

Just a quick hello. Taking a quick lunch break.

Hal - thanks for the article on apples. There are several cooking programs I watch on TV Food network. Sometimes the cooking is to elobrate for me though, I watch to get tips on how to cook veggies or quick meals. I'm sure Rocky is enjoying having you at home.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Catlover777 06-09-2005 08:27 PM

We replaced the modem--and now neither DH's computer nor mine has Internet access. I'm at Kinko's, but it's too expensive to stay on long.

Then the surgeon cancelled my appointment. (Operating schedule) I don't know why I was seeing a surgeon anyway--maybe I'll try to get in with another doctor.

Wow, that stuff on apples really encourages the idea of the 3-apple-a day diet. Still, I'm not entirely clear how it works. Must try later.

Catlover777 06-10-2005 08:40 PM

Pushin' us up

Well, the surgeon's nurse called last night and said that my appt was cancelled--not a word of apology. Anyway, I have appt with another dr for Tue.,

And DH's computer works now, but mine needs to be fixed. Ugsss.

1day@atime 06-10-2005 08:45 PM

Hello Ladies,

Cat - At least one computer is up and running. My pc at work crashed today. Hope they are able to retrieve my files. Hopefully you get in to see this new doc without any problems.

Not much going on here, we're due for another hot weekend. I need to finish up my painting in the back but i'm out of paint. Wished I would of stopped this evening. Oh, well. My tomatos plants are getting big. I had two cherry tomatos that were almost ready to pull, but Blackie beat me to them.

Hope everyone is having a great evening!

Nita 06-11-2005 01:41 AM

Hi Ladies,

Just a quick "hello". Today has been a very busy day--first of all I decided to buy a new and "safer" car. Before I could make the deal, however, I had to go the Rehab Center and discuss it with Gene. He said as long I liked it, buy it. Well I did--it is a 2005 Glacier Blue Buick LaCrosse. It has the side curtains as well as the airbags. The other cool feature is the fact that when you are walking to your car and the temp is over 100 you can click your remote, hit the lock feature and then you hit this half moon and it turns on the air-conditioning in the car. By the time you get to the car it is partially cooled off. The other feature is the On Star. They certainly have come a long way in making these cars very safe. It also has the anti-lock brakes. Because I was so busy today I really didn't eat all my meals. I ended up with a grilled cheese sandwich for supper at 8:30 p.m. It is amazing that when your mind is focussed on other things food doesn't seem as important!

Well I had better get moving it is 10:40 p.m. here and I had better call it a day. Gene is really working hard at getting his strength back and I do believe one or two more weeks and he will be coming home.

Have a "super" weekend!

Anita

1day@atime 06-11-2005 11:29 AM

Hello Ladies,

Nita - Sounds like you had a very busy day. Good to hear that Gene is working hard on getting his strenght back. I'm sure your encouragement has helped him quite a bit. Wow a 2005 Buck LaCross, i'm excited for you. Yes, the vehicle industry has come a long way in making our vehicles safer. I really like that On Star feature.

Last night we had some fast storms that moved in, in fact the radar showed it was more north of here, but we got some rains, so that was good. Unfortunately Blackie woke up and was barking for about 20 minutes. My plans today were to finish up in the back, but since i'm getting a late start (due to the heat)& need to go to the paint store. I might do that project first thing in the morning.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

HalGal 06-11-2005 11:52 AM

RE: Shameless plug, for my man!

http://www.countrystars.com/artists/...ketchum150.jpg

Hal Ketchum host Grand Olde Opry LIVE, Saturday, June 11th at 8P Eastern...!!! On GAC channel

OK, I feel like Tom Cruise's gal, I'm jumping up and down on my sofa, I am bouncing on the chair as I type - Hal is hosting the Grand Olde Opry live tonight. You have to get GAC - Great American Country to see it! I don't, believe it or not. I have a brother in Indiana taping for me. I cannot believe CMT let go of the live Opry rights. Anyway... tune in, if you can.

I have a quiche in the oven as I type. Yummm....

Nita: The car sounds really neat. What color?

OneDay: You inspire me, keep the painting going. My list is long, but much needed.

CatLover: Tell me where you work again? My memory is bad. You crack me up with your comments, but I do understand - we live in a crazy world.

All the best to everyone else - Mooz, Thin, Shad, Michellez! :angel: :dizzy: :listen: :ebike: :flow1: :flow2: :angel: [/IMG]

Catlover777 06-11-2005 03:37 PM

Hal--glad your brother can get the show for you. Not available streaming on the puter?

I answer the phone for Medicare at PEarson Governmetn Soiutions. Now I am only doing Spanish calls, because we're supposed to be "so busy." Well, I get a lot of time to read . . .

Nita--sounds like a great car! Glad Gene is working away.

Went and told stories at Toy & Miniature Museum again. One family came in just before 11, so we had a nice group.

I made an appt with the dr my friend liked so well, so hope she can fix may leg and I will have a permanent dr again.

And I have sooo much to do!

Nita 06-11-2005 06:54 PM

Hi Ladies,

I took the car down to show Gene and he approved. The color is Glacier Blue with light gray leather interior. I tried the remote and it works like a charm--you just hit the lock on your remote and then you hit another button that automatically turns on the air-conditioning (or heat if you are in cold weather). This is truly exciting especially when it gets over 110 here in Phoenix.

It is pretty strange having to cook for only one person and now I know what some of you ladies are going through. If you make too much of one thing you end up eating the same thing for days. Sometimes I really don't feel like cooking, however, it is better to make some kind of meal.

I do have some sewing to do and I had better get started.

Hope you ladies are having a "wonderful" weekend!

Take care,
Anita

Shad 06-12-2005 05:38 PM

How embarrassment!!!!

To quote Effie from one of the local tv shows. I can't remember whether I told you ladies that I had bought a new lawnmower to add to my collection of 'Boys Toys'. When you live on your own, you have to master some of the basics. Anyway, I purchased this lawmower and took it home and mowed the front yard, no trouble. As soon as I got to the back yard the lawnmower decided it no longer wanted to go, despite my trying to persuade it to do so. So I rung the shop and told them of my problem. Let it cool completely and try again was the reply, we think you have overprimed the engine. If it doesn't start bring it back. To cut a long story short, it didn't go. I took it back and the following embarrassing tale occurred.

I put it in the car and took it for a jaunt up to the mower shop yesterday. I didn't know they were open on a Sunday and rung them just for the **** of it when the mower didn't start yet again. Bring it in they said. So I did. This young blond god took a hold of it and pulled the start handle, nothing happened - well hallelujah! Give it another pull and it spluttered into life only to snuff it again. Hallelujah once more. He then says, is it out of petrol (gas to the the Americans) - no I say, the young man who sold it to me, told me he had filled it up. It mowed the front lawn fine and then wouldn't look at the back. So we had a peek at the petrol tank, still some sloshing around inside - not out of petrol? Well yes it is out of petrol, there's enough in there to get it to start but not run. How embarrassing. Thank goodness there were only 1 other customer and one staff in the shop at the time. Brought the darn thing home, mowed the back yard. Thought dark thoughts about toys.

The rest of the day was all about cleaning the house and giving me a bug free environment to live in. Which may be a good idea as the sore throat is not going away and I feel a bit blurk today. Not allowed to be sick, not allowed to be sick, not allowed to be sick. My new mantra. I'll try to sweat it out at the gym this morning.

Nita the new car sounds lovely. I just love a new car. They smell so..........well new! Glad you DH approves of your choice.

Halgal - hope you enjoy the show. Isn't it such a pain when popular events go to pay TV and you don't have the channel. I'm finding more and more that the programs I like (and pay to see) are going to digital pay tv and I have to A: pay more to see them and even worse B: will need a new tv to get to see digital properly. Darn the lot of them.

Cat - are you Spanish or Hispanic or is it that you can speak Spanish?

Time to get on with my day. Lots to do and if I don't wash the car today, people will start asking why I have bought a nasty brown coloured car instead of the delightful burgundy red one I really have under all that dust, dirt, grit and grime.

Have a great day. This is the last public holiday, apart from one in August, for this State before Christmas so I have every intention of making the most of it.

See ya

mooz49 06-13-2005 07:24 AM

Mornin chickies....... just a quick call ......... I am still walking a lot and eating is going OK most of the time!! WE sdid have a surprise party on Saturday night for my father-in-law at his house. He was 80 and it was a good night and I did have a few drinks and some food that I did not need! :o
Enough said! .....................
Monday again and back to the healthy eating plan. :D
We have had lovely weather for the past few days but it is back to cold and wet again this morning. Hopefully it will not last long as this type of weather is depressing! :( :(

Have a great day all

mooz49 06-13-2005 07:44 AM

Food and Nutrition

Eat Yourself Better

Eat to make you look better with Jane Clarke for shiny hair, glowing skin, strong nails & sparkly eyes!

Jane’s top ten body nourishing tips (core diet)

1) Drink 2.5 litres of water a day

Drink around 2.5 litres/4 pints of water a day, staggered throughout the day to help your body hold onto it. Try sipping on one glass every hour. The best way in checking whether your body is sufficiently hydrated is to glance at your urine which should be very pale in colour, not dark yellow.
If a dehydrated body receives an extra 600ml/1 pint of water, it will repay you by giving you an extra 20% of energy.

2) Eat 5 fresh fruits a day

Keep your energy constant and give your body all the antioxidants it needs to stay young and healthy by eating five succulent fresh fruits a day.

3) Eat vegetables twice a day

Treat your body to a health giving supply of fibre and antioxidants by having vegetables twice a day, be they raw, steamed, roasted, stir fried or even pre-prepared salads or frozen vegetables.

4) Use fresh herbs and spices instead of salt

Rather than adding salt, which can raise your blood pressure and aggravate fluid retention, use fresh herbs and spices, such as basil, dill, parsley, freshly ground black pepper, lemon grass and garlic, to enhance food’s natural flavours.

5) Cut right down on coffee and tea

An aromatic cup of coffee or tea can be life enhancing, as long as it is a good quality beverage that you really savour. But don’t have more than two or three cups a day; too much caffeine aggravates stress, energy swings, headaches and anxiety as well as inhibiting your body’s absorption of essential nutrients like calcium and iron.

6) Eat something before you drink alcohol

Before drinking alcohol, either prepare your stomach by having something to eat – even if only a banana – or wait until you’ve sat down to enjoy a meal. You’ll sleep more soundly and feel better the next day if you drink a couple of glasses of water for every glass of wine.

7) Eat protein rich foods twice a day

Twice a day, eat protein rich foods like chicken, fish (especially oily fish like salmon and mackerel), seafood, eggs (which don’t raise blood – cholesterol levels), lean meat or pulses. All of these will boost your energy levels and improve your concentration. Protein rich foods also keep you satisfied for longer.

8) Ditch processed foods labelled ‘’low-fat’’ and ‘’low sugar’’

Do your skin, bones and taste buds a favour by ditching processed foods labelled ‘’low fat’’ and ‘’low sugar’’. Small amounts of full-fat butter, cream, cheese and even chocolate are more delicious, as well as healthier than their over processed counterparts.

9) Eat calcium rich and iron rich foods each day

Maintain the strength of your nails, bones, blood and immune system by having some calcium rich and iron rich foods every day. Calcium is found easily in milk (and skimmed milk contains just as much calcium as full fat milk), cheese, yoghurt (ideally organic, containing live, probiotic cultures), green leafy vegetables, small boned fish, like pilchards and sardines, dried apricots and figs. Iron rich foods include dark green, leafy vegetables, pulses, dried fruits, whole grains, eggs, cashew nuts, lean red meat and offal.

10) Eat whole grain foods every day

These help to nurture the growth of positive bacteria in the gut, which in turn produce substances which reduce the signs of ageing, as well as the risks of developing cancer, heart disease and other life threatening conditions. Choose from wholegrain cereals, oats, wholemeal bread (rather than brown, which may contain no more fibre than white bread) whole grain rice or pasta. Other great fibre packed foods are pulses, including lentils.

Foods for specifically improving your appearance

How your skin, hair, nails and eyes look, in my opinion, gives a true indication of how healthy you are inside. Whether you are worried about spots, dry patches or crows feet around the eyes, your lifestyle and how you treat your body can have a huge impact on your skin’s appearance, dramatically more so than expensive skin creams.

My 10 ways to flawless skin

1) vitamin A can have a magical effect on problem skin. Boost your intake of foods which are rich in beta carotene (which the body converts in to vitamin A) eg carrots, watercress, apricots, mangoes and melons

2) vitamin C is one of the most effective skin healers.
eg apricots, mangoes and melons (as above) also blueberries, blackcurrants and blackberries, plums, papayas and kiwi fruits

3) Zinc reduces the inflammatory process within the body, so if you suffer from acne, eczema or psoriasis, eat more zinc-rich foods
eg seafood, hard, crumbly cheeses, nuts, seeds and pulses.

4) Omega -3 fatty acid and eicosapentanoic acid are also good if you suffer from acne, eczema or psoriasis
eg. oily fish like salmon, fresh tuna, sardines or mackerel twice a week – also linseeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds and hemp and nuts (these are great roasted and sprinkled over cereals or salads)

5) Selenium and vitamin E are both skin nurturing ingredients
eg avocados, blackberries, mangoes, tomatoes, seeds, spinach, watercress, brazil nuts (these are an excellent source of selenium) cashew nuts and whole wheat cereals

6) Fruit and vegetables –make sure you are eating lots of fruit and veg. If you are deficient in fruit and veg (and are eating too many sweet foods), it could lead to problem skin.

7) Limit your intake of caffeine and tannins – they dehydrate the skin.
Eg don’t drink more than a couple of cups of coffee, tea and colas each day. Drink 2.5 litres / 4 pints of water a day

8) Cut down on alcohol - over indulgence can dehydrate your skin, make it more coarse and give you thread veins, open pores ‘oyster eyes’.

9) Probiotic, acidophilus supplements – a poor complexion can often be a sign that your gut is not happy, particularly if you suffer from ibs. If you think that this might be the cause of your skin’s distress keep a note of everything you eat and drink, as well as your skin’s appearance, for a few weeks, to see if you can identify the food that might be irritating your digestive system and skin. Taking a probiotic, acidophilus supplement may also alleviate both problems.

10) Regular cardiovascular exercise – eg running, cycling, swimming (remember to wash your skin with pure water after getting out of the pool to flush away the chlorine and other chemical residues). This exercise will pump a healthy supply of impurity banishing blood around your skin. Get lots of sleep too.

NB make sure you consult your doctor before taking up any new form of exercise

Foods to eat more of...

Drink 2.5litres of water (that’s 4 pints) each day

Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables
i.e. carrots
watercress
avocados
spinach
tomatoes
apricots
mangoes
melons
blueberries
blackcurrants
blackberries
plums
papayas
kiwi fruits
seafood
oily fish like salmon, fresh tuna, sardines or mackerel
hard, crumbly cheeses
whole wheat cereals
nuts
brazil nuts
cashew nuts
seeds and pulses
inseeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds and hemp

Foods to steer clear of...
Don't eat too many sweet foods

Limit yourself to just 2 cups of coffee, tea or cola each day

Cut down on alcohol

Hair
Iron

Hair loss and hair thinning in women is normally a sign of iron deficiency. So you may be suffering from anaemia. Iron is also needed for healthy blood and muscles.

Daily requirement

The daily requirement for iron varies between 8 and 15 milligrams a day. Most women need 12 – 15 milligrams; men need slightly less, since they don’t suffer from menstrual- related iron losses.

Those with health problems which predispose them to an increased risk of bleeding, such as ulcers or piles, should make sure that their diet is generally high in iron, so that their body is better prepared for the loss of iron should it occur.

Also good for...

Essential during pregnancy

Helps form red blood cells

Helps formation of haemoglobin

Nails

Calcium

Calcium is essential for strong, healthy nails. Lack of calcium has also been linked with the development of osteoporosis, a condition that causes brittle bones. Although this usually affects post-menopausal women, everyone will benefit from a diet that meets their calcium requirement throughout childhood and into adulthood. It’s thought that calcium may help to lower high blood pressure and may help to protect against colon and breast cancer, although more evidence is needed to support this.

Daily requirement

You should be able to get all the calcium you need from your daily diet. Adults need 800 mg a day, children under 11 need 550 milligrams, 1,000 milligrams for teenagers and pregnant women. To put this into perspective, half a pint of cows' milk contains 300 milligrams of calcium.

If you can't eat dairy products for any reason, other food sources include green leafy vegetables (such as broccoli, cabbage and okra, but not spinach), soybean products, nuts, bread and anything made with fortified flour, and fish where you eat the bones, such as sardines and pilchards.

Also good for...

Good for the skin
Growth
Healthy bones and teeth
Healthy hair
Healthy skin
Healthy tooth enamel

Recipe ideas

1) Pan fried salmon with lemony chilli pasta (serves 2)

When cooking fish I like to keep it simple. Here I have just pan-fried the salmon and served it with a basic fresh tasting pasta. If you do not have preserved lemons, then just use the zest and half the juice from one lemon.

Method

Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and drop in 200g / 7oz tagliatelle.

Cook according to the instructions on the packet.

Meanwhile. Heat a large frying pan. Brush a little olive oil and seasoning over two salmon fillets and lay them in the pan.

Fry for 3-4 minutes on each side until lightly golden or done to your liking.

Remove from pan and put aside to rest.

Return the pan to the heat and add 2 tbsp chopped capers, 3 tbsp chopped preserved lemon, ½ tsp crushed chilli flakes and 30ml / 2tbsp olive oil.

Heat very gently for 2-3 mins, then toss in the drained pasta. Spoon the tagliatelle into warmed pasta bowls, flake over the salmon, then sprinkle over 1 tbsp roughly chopped parsley and a good grinding of black pepper. Serve immediately with a fresh green salad.

2) Noodles with red peppers, chicken & cashew nuts (Serves 4)

Red peppers are rich in betacarotene, an antioxidant that the body converts into vitamin A which helps to reduce the incidence of cancer, as well as promoting growth, good vision and healthy skin.

Method

Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/gas mark 6.

Brush a roasting tin with a little olive oil. Arrange the peppers, shallots and garlic in the tin and sprinkle with the thyme and rosemary leaves. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Add the chicken and bake for a further 10 minutes, basting the vegetables occasionally.

Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil and add the salt, olive oil and noodles. Boil the noodles for about 4 minutes, or until they are al dente.

When the chicken is cooked and the vegetables are soft and brown around the edges, remove them from the roasting tin. Drain the noodles and combine them with the chicken mixture. Stir in the cashew nuts and season with salt and pepper.

Ingredients

dash of olive oil

4 red peppers, cored, de-seeded and chopped into quarters

8 shallots, peeled and halved

3 cloves garlic, peeled but left whole

1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves

1 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaves, chopped

3 chicken breasts, sliced into thin strips

1 teaspoon olive oil

350 g/12 oz dried noodles

50 g/2 oz cashew nuts

salt and freshly ground black pepper

3) Zesty Stewed Rhubarb & Blackcurrants (serves 4)

Vitamin C is a key ingredient for nourishing the skin and here’s an easy way to combine fruits rich in this strong antioxidant. Rhubarb, orange and blackcurrant make a lovely sharp, sweet, tangy, combination, which in turn, is perfectly complemented by the creamy custard or fromage frais.

Method

Trim and wash 900g/2lb rhubarb, then chop into bite size pieces and transfer to a pan. Sprinkle over 30g/1oz caster sugar, the zest and juice of 1 orange and 1 tsp grond ginger. Cover the pan and leave to cook over a gentle heat for 10-15 minutes or until the rhubarb has just softened, but still retains its shape. Remove the pan from the heat and carefully stir in 100g/4oz fresh blackcurrants. Levae the fruit mixture to stand for about 15 minutes, or until the blackcurrants have softened and the mixture has cooled slightly. Serve warm or cold, layered in individual glasses with fresh custard or fromage frais, and perhaps with some brandy snaps or langues de chat biscuits.

4) Mango, Lime & Raspberry Juice (serves 2)

Easy to make, this is great food for your skin, packed with masses of Vitamin C and beta carotene.

Method

Peel ½ large, ripe mango and cut the flesh from the stone. Place in a blender with 20 large frozen rapberries, the juice of a large lime and a few ice cubes if you like it chilled (otherwise add enough water to thin the mixture). Whizz together and serve.

5) Strawberries with Lemon & Sugar (serves 4)

Strawberries and cream is, of course, a classic combination and one of the quickest and easiest puddings to make, or you could team strawberries with black pepper, which really intensifies their flavour. If you prefer, you could steep them in orange juice or red wine.

Method

You’ll need 700g/1ib 9oz strawberries. Leave any small ones whole and cut the larger ones into halves or quarters. Place in a bowl with the juice of 2 lemons and 3 tbsp caster sugar (or your preferred quantity). Stir them carefully, but thoroughly, to coat them with the sugar syrup and leave them to sit for 20 minutes. Transfer to serving bowls and, if you like, serve with thick, Greek-style natural yoghurt.

Supplements

Aloe vera juice

By drinking Aloe Vera juice before food, it ensures that your body absorbs all of the minerals and vitamins from the food you are eating. It also contains healing properties

Take 10ml of aloe vera juice before eating 3x a day.

Milk Thistle

By taking milk thistle supplements, it helps to clean out all of the toxins from your liver and flushes them out your system.

Take 300mg of Milk Thistle supplements 3x a day either before or after eating.

mooz49 06-13-2005 04:18 PM

Just bringing us to the top again ;)

Catlover777 06-13-2005 09:42 PM

Last night DS came over and replaced Internet card on my computer. Worked beautifully--for maybe 5 minutes. Darn. So I am still on DH's

See new dr. tomorrow--wish me luck.

Shad--oh, I have done far stupider things than that--and more publicly. I am not HIspanic, I just learned the language and love it.

Sometimes people complain and want a hispanic, and I think they can surely put up with me!