Old 10-27-2005, 10:09 PM   #421  

S/C/G: 148.8

Height: 5 ft

Good Evening Ladies,

Patty- I know your frustration and the only thing you can do is bite the bullet and look at what you are eating realistically--I am only 5 ft. so I know your frustration. You just need to take the time for you no matter if it pertains to exercise or getting a handle of what you should be eating. Since I worked 9-1/2 hours at the office today I was in no mood to cook so I picked up two Premium chicken sandwiches from McDonald's and I only ate the top part of my bun and tossed the other half. I also bought some of Walmart's mustard potato salad and just had a small amount of this. I did also have one of those Pudge Bars for 90 calories. Now comes the real test--not to eat anything else tonight--only water if I am thirsty.

I need to close for now but I will post again tomorrow.

Anita
Nita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 06:26 PM   #422  
Give peace a chance.

Patty--
This has come up before, but I can't really recommend starting with a tape. If you possibly can, find a teacher or a class so that you learn the asanas correctly and how not to hurt yourself.

If you absolutely can't find a class, I'd suggest Yoga for Dummies. It's pretty good and safety, and you're not trying to keep up with someone on a tape.

I'd try to visit a class to see if the teacher seems skilled and trustworthy before signing up.
Catlover777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 08:42 PM   #423  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

GoodMorning everyone,

It's raining up here in the hills. Started when I was on the downhill side of the run this morning. According to the weatherforecaster it is to be cloudy this morning and come fine this afternoon.

Yesterday we didn't go to Nagoya, we went up into the hills to a place where you make paper and design patterns on your paper. My paper is blue and I drew what was supposed to be a bird on it, but it looks more like puff the magic dragon! Chris did some thicker more textured type of paper in leaf shapes - sort of. We went to a coffee bar for lunch and had 'Italian' spaghetti (Japanese style ) which is nothing like Italian but for all that was quite nice - tried eating spaghetti with chopsticks lately?

The leaves are starting to turn nicely and I have seen a couple of brilliant red maples on the roadside when we went to a pottery place. Speaking of the pottery place - which is not just pottery - it has pickles and preserves and apples and the weirdest looking veges I have everseen in my life, is built like a space ship and has a cafe and telescope up on the roof. And you should have seen the loos!!!!! Talk about Starship Enterprise - automatic doorclosers, automatic flushers, automatic lights - I was expecting God Save the Queen at the end of the performance.

Went for my exercise this morning - had to walk up the hills cause they are so steep, But I ran down from the Golf Course and around the baseball diamond and past the gym and then went out the top gate and ran down the road - waving and saying good morning to the people around the place all out doing their gardening or beekeeping in one case - I ran faster past that place - or Tai Chi. Got home in around thirty five minutes with a good sweat up so guess I managed about 3 or 4k. Long hot shower and a big breakfast - Chris is big on big breakfasts. Apparently lunch is Soba noodles and then we are going to Toki for a kindergarten class - I may go and do some shopping if we are anywhere near shops that is and I can find them - Some shops don't look like shops. Wouldn't mind going back to the pottery shop and will do so if it is not too far away from the class. Chris says it is not - we will see.

This afternoon I believe we are off to a Ninja museum and something else up in the hills. Tomorrow I believe we are going to Grandma's Market. I say I believe because sometimes the things that happen in the day are not what was discussed the night before, but it is all good fun.

Patty - Do not be discouraged about the scale and the clothes. I hate clothes shopping and avoid it when I can. I have clothes ranging from size 18 to sixe 10 in my wardrobe and most of them fit. Go Figure. Use a tape measure and write down the measurements of your body. Measure all the bits you want to keep tabs on. Then you can check them month after month after month. It is so hard, but you have to keep trying. Scales are not good indicators, neither are clothes these days although they used to be, measuring tapes tell a different story.

And that is about it for today. I'll be back tomorrow if we come up to school.

Have a good weekend and have fun.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 02:56 AM   #424  

Default Good Saturday morning...

Wow Shad, how cool to go along on your trip with you! Awesome stuff. Spaghetti with chop sticks, and running the same day = weight loss for sure! The pottery place sounds pretty interesting. We have a local pumpkin festival this weekend here. I plan to go and look for a guy that brings pottery. Over the years I've collected a few of his pieces. I'm not artistic, but I love art. Anyway, I'm enjoying your posts, and thank you for taking the time to think of us!

Nita: You are so busy, and keep me motivated to keep going with a smile. I can see your smile in your words! I'm typing and working on my second glass of water. You are right, more water is a good thing. I tried one of those premium chicken sandwiches also, and just had the bottom bun. I was not impressed at all. I am almost always better off to take a few minutes to make something here - and do my best to clean up after myself. Last night I made chilli for the teachers today. I am a member of a service sorority and it is our founders day anniversary so we treated the staff to 'soup day'. I used a Cincinnati chilli recipe which has a touch of cinnamon in it, plus lots of chilli powder, black pepper and a hint of sugar to ease the blend. As Rachael Ray says "Yum-O!"

George Clooney is on the early morning Oprah show... (They replay it at 2A and yes I am up! I fell asleep as soon as I walked in the door this PM, and missed going back to our last home football game!) He showed a picture of him after he gained 30 pounds in 30 days for a movie. He talked about taking it off, saying he exercised, exercised, excerised.

CatLover: Sad stuff, headlines in our news today of purgery and disception from those that we not only are forced to 'trust' but lead our country. I bet your rallys will have a 'new wind' in the near future. So many lives have been lost. I have students with brothers there, asking me 'why'? It's a tuff one. Hang in there on the weight thing... I'm right there also. I try to focus upon the positive, visualize the results I want to achieve, and work as much postivie in as possible. It takes a plan, and an effort. I see that about myself. I feel as if I have 'thrown me out' and not place myself as a priority. I know this has to change, if I want to continue with good health and enjoy the finer things!

Is this a carrot? LOL

OneDay: Long hours are a part of the plan. You know, I think most folks or many, many folks do the same. I have no family to take care of, just me and Rocky Road Kechum... and that seems a challenge. I wonder how folks with families do it? I am somewhat disapointed in the hours/days/times of WW meetings here. Twice a week, and one day is during the day, so that leaves one evening. You would think Saturday would be a given for extra support.

Anyway... I bought a few of Rachael Ray's cookbooks and received a free year subscription to her new magazine. I think she going to have a wonderful career - she is very positive, upbeat.

Mooz and THIN stop lurking and tell us how you are!

It is suppose to be a peak weekend here for fall colors, so I plan to run some errands later as well as go to the pumpkin festival to enjoy the weather. Have a great day girls!
HalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 05:23 PM   #425  

S/C/G: 148.8

Height: 5 ft

Hi Ladies,

It sure is great to see so many of us posting even on the weekend! Shad, thanks for sharing your experiences on your vacation. It's almost like we are there with you. Awesome post!

Patty - Yesterday I completed my 12th visit to the gym in four weeks to qualify for a Silver Sneakers' watch. I am sure they got them at a good price but anyway it did give me incentive to complete those visits. I also talked with one of the ladies about the Yoga class and she said they are wonderful and that you feel so good afterwards. She also said beginners are welcome so I think I just may give it a try. Our instructor, Joe, said he was flatfooted all his life but after doing Yoga he now has an arch!

I went to the WW meeting at 7:00 a.m. this morning and I lost 1/2 lb. Even though I am doing all this activity the pounds are really coming off slowly. I have to agree with Shad. She is totally correct--sometimes because of exercising we most definitely lose inches because those fat cells are turning into muscle which weigh more.

This leader we have is certainly vivacious. She seems to have tons of energy and the one thing she stressed is we need to be in "control" of what we want to accomplish. she also admitted that she, herself, had gained a few pounds and felt she couldn't keep telling us what to do if, in fact, she was not doing it herself. Some of the people shared how much better they felt about themselves, not only because they had lost weight but because they were in control! A very pretty young woman sat in front of me and has to lose a whole lot more weight but she was so excited because at her doctor's office last week he was finally able to weigh her on his scale. He was really surprised and shared his suprise with her. She also stated her blood pressure had come back to normal. I do feel staying for these meetings is very important because we are all in the same boat and when you hear other people stating exactly how you, yourself, feel, it really hits home!

I am one of those people who tends to think the scale is so important. Well as of tomorrow morning the scale is going in the garage and I am going to see if that makes a difference. The leader also said she got out her program and start tracking all her food intake and, yes, she is starting to get rid of those pounds.

Take care all,
Anita
Nita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 12:04 AM   #426  

Hello ladies,

Nita - you are so right. There are some things I can control and some I cannot. My eating is one that I can control. I have recommited myself to start exercising and eating right on monday. Yes, I know I should start today, but my fridge is empty and today was busy with errans. I've put the calendar back up on the wall, so I can start tracking it. Tomorrow i'm going to store and buying groceries. WTG on your 1/2lb loss. And congrats on qualifying for the silver sneaker watch.

Shad -I think it is wonderful keeping your exercise up while on vacation. I guess I tend to not even think about that when i go on vacation. But it is one way of seeing the countryside. Keep us posted on your adventures.

Hal - I guess I have no excuse on the Ww meetings. There is one about 8 minutes away from my work and there probably 6 within 20minutes of my house. So no excuse for me. I just saw where Rachel Ray had a new magazine out. I'm going to look for it in the stores.

Cat - I need to look into some classes. Several years ago (7or 8) I did take classes and I felt so good. I need to start back.

Busy day today. Church had a halloween party and I worked one of the game booth's.

Hope everyone is having a good evening!
1day@atime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 04:37 PM   #427  
Give peace a chance.

Nita, Patty--good luck with the yoga classes.

I got a new tape--it's a yoga/sleep/wt. loss. Only used it once, but I like it. Then you play a CD and do some journaling to end the day on a positive note. This felt really good, because I almost always end thinking of what I didn't accomplish, what I ate I should not have etc.

Hope you all hava a fine weekend.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:46 PM   #428  

Hello Ladies,

Just a quick hello. Ended up going into the office today for about 4 hours, tomorrow I plan on leaving a little early to get home in time for trickortreaters.
Went to grocery store and stocked up on food, so there's no excuse of eating out this week.

Cat - I think that's a great way to end the day journaling something positive.

Hope everyone is having a great day!
Old 10-30-2005, 10:56 PM   #429  

Default RE: Round #2...

Good Sunday evening girls!

This is my second attempt at posting today. My internet connection was lost and evidently could not reconnect and I lost an entire post. Thank goodness that rarely happens. So, once again.. I'm back to say hello and wish everyone a great OP week.

On Yoga, I saw a clip on FitTV about the Yoga practice in 105 degree temps. It is suppose to be cleansing... my goodness... it looked like it took all they had to pull it off. I think a combination of yoga and pilates would be good choices for anyone. I took dance lessons for just under 10 years as a child/teen. I know it helped me for years in a multitude of ways.

OneDay: Working on Sunday, wow. I did not, I took the weekend off. I think I work so many hours off, the only way I can do it with a good spirit is to take Saturday/Sunday off - if possible. I agree about eating at home. I've done a great job the last few weeks on eating in. I even met with my bookclub last week, and and only had coffee while they ate out. I arrived late and did not want to hold them up, and had food here at home.

I have not purchased Haloween candy, caus I would be eating it now! I spoke with one of my brothers as he was polishing off a Nestle Crunch... and it sounded so good. Too funny. They had just finished cooking out, our weather is still really very nice for late October.

Well girls... those of you going to WW good luck at weigh in. I promise to keep moving it. Rocky is into it with me... I think I may be sore tomorrow, but that is a good thing! My challenge is to continue to exercise, and try to increase or challenge myself daily. You guys are right, weight loss may not be as evident as the changes you will see in your body and blood chemistry.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:56 PM   #430  
Give peace a chance.

Hal--yes this high-temp Bikram yoga is very popular with some people. My teacher said that there's something to learn from every school of yoga, but she thinks they do not screen out the people for whom it's dangerous. I've also read that they don't care much about form. I would skip it. It seems so American to turn something enjoyable into an endurance contest!

Well, folks, I lost a pound! So that's a step, at least. Not to celebrate eating Halloween candy!
Old 10-31-2005, 11:07 PM   #431  

Default RE: Laughing out loud...

CatLover: Right on, and laughing along with you... leave it to us to take an art form, exercise routine if you will... and turn it into a larger portion i.e. high temp yoga. I'll mellow out with the traditional moves, and enjoy the stretch. I found new muscles from working out this weekend. Feels good. Now to continue... and I shall. WTG with ONE POUND. One at a time!

Have a GREAT week girls!
Old 11-01-2005, 09:32 PM   #432  

Hello Ladies,

Cat - WTG on your 1 lb loss.

Hal - I think you were the smart one in not buying halloween candy. We did not have any many trickortreaters as last year. Today was drizzly and kinda of cool. Guess many went to the churchs or other gatherings.

Still can't seem to get motivated. I know it's my work that bringing me down. I just need to take a few days and get organized here at home.

Anway hope everyone is having a great evening.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:00 AM   #433  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Evening all,
Not much time tonight but it is the only time I have and will have for a while.
We have been tripping around to Museums, gardens, castles, flower shows , ninja museums and the biggest garden show I have seen in a long time.

Nabana no Sato is a sort of theme park of flowers. At the moment the flowers are Dahlia, Cosmos and Begonia anb it is absolutely beautiful. My mouth dropped open when the doors slid open and the Begonia house was displayed. I could only say - oh, oooh, oooooohhhhhhh, aaahhh for quite some time. Just wait until you see the pictures. There was an entire field of purple, lavender and white cosmos. About an acre of it. Just delightful. The dahlia ranged from the dinner plate size to the tiny miniature pompoms and they were superb. We found one from NZ and one from the States and one from Australia. Try as I might I could not see Canada or UK.

At Nagoya Castle there was a Chrysanthemum display. I have never seen some many huge Chryssies in all my life. And they had some Bonsai ones as well - again you will have to wait for the photos. There was also some dolls done up in flower costumes - not quite as good as the ones I have seen at the Ellerslie flower show but good - and being Japanese at least one of them had to be animated and make a noise. I went up into the castle - 5 floors of stairs, anly to find that there are elevators in the place (only found that one out when I got to the top) Silly me.

The ninja museum was very interesting and the ninja show good. I don't think I would have liked to get on the wrong side of that lot.

Today we have been in and around Mizunami, Chris had to go to the Doctor because she was getting itchy everywhere. It isn't anything serious but best to get it checked. I walked around town and did a bit of shopping. I'm getting better at it, but not good. If I have an idea about what the conversation is about I can pick up some words but only if they speak slowly. Mostly I can't answer them but I've drawn a lot of pictures since I have been here!

Okay, best get off and let Chris have a go. Then we are going to a Tempura Restaurant for dinner. Yum Yum

Love to all. Sorry I can't reply individually. I just don't have the time.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 09:53 PM   #434  
Give peace a chance.

Shad--thanks so much for sharing your adventures. Sure, we don't expect individual answers.

I am in for another month of PT for my shoulder. Sigh. How will I fit everything else in?

I am so tired now. Over at hospital at 7 for annual mammogram, then to work, then PT after work, only a little straightening around the house and some attention to the animals and I am ready to fall into bed.

Getting busier at work but it's not too bad yet. You know, not one person, not ONE has said "gee, I love having all these choices for my prescription drug plan." They HATE it. They want us to give them the best choice, or can't they just take the Medicare plan and not a company's plan. (No, the plans are only offered through companies.) Doesn't this say something about the folks who set this up?
Old 11-05-2005, 09:27 AM   #435  

Hello Ladies,

Shad - thanks for sharing your adventures. Can't wait to see the pictures. I bet the Nabana no Sato is just beautiful. Too bad they don't offer cuttings, but if they did then i'm sure it would all be bare. Be safe.

Cat - Your day sounds very hetic and to add to that the holidays are coming up. I'm sure your job is stressful with having to hear people's complaints.

I'm so ready for the weekend. Tonight going to a friend's baby's 1st bday party. Believe it or not, the temp is suppose to be 80 today. Here it is Nov. and 80. Lots of errans to run today, then laundry, clean house.

Wishing everyone a super Saturday!