Voluptuous Veggies: 5-10 a day RAINBOW challenge

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Okay, here's the challenge- get in 5-10 servings of raw or cooked vegetables and/or fruits a day, choosing from as many deep, rich colors as possible (every different colored veggie offers different phyonutrients).

Eating fruits and vegetables is one of the best things we can do for our health as they are unmatched for the natural fiber, antioxidants and the nutrients they supply!

A serving of vegetables is 1 cup raw (non starchy ones) or 1/2 cup cooked (lightly steamed is best). Green leafy vegetables offer the best nutrition.

A serving of fruit is one small piece fresh fruit. Serving size varies for dried, cooked and frozen so check packaging. Berries offer the most punch for the least calories.

As Sunday is my fasting day, I will log my progress tomorrow!

Happy, healthy eating!
  • Hey again, Vegan!!!! This is a good challenge and I will be lurkin' here. I have a terrible time eating vegetables for a number of reasons; I do better with fruit but don't eat enough to make up for the lack o' vege. I'm workin' on it but would not be able to meet this challenge, but I really think you've hit on a fine idea!
  • Thanks for starting the thread, Vegan! I think I ended the day with 7 or 8 servings.

Here's my 'menu' for the day:

Coffee w/ 1/2 and 1/2
    scrambled egg whites w/ brocolli, onions, red and yellow peppers
    roasted potatoes and onions w/ salsa

Salad [spinach, carrots, red peppers, onion, cucumbers, cheese, soy 'chicken', goddess dressing]
    corn-blueberry muffin w/ all-fruit jam

2 ww toast w/ hard-boiled egg, lite cream cheese, chopped vegs.
    1 ear corn
    orange

Hope you have some other takers for this challenge. It's a worthy one!
  • Amarantha, feel free to post even if you are sy of the suggested sevings...I want everyone to be inspired to include more of what works for them!

Way to go Eydie! That's a lot of veggies!

Here's mine so far:

2 cups strawberries
    1 cup mangoes
    1/2 cup blueberries
    1 1/2 cups orange juice
    3 cups salad of shredded beets & carrots, mixed baby greens, sprouts and cucumbers
    16 oz. passionberry kombucha

So far that's 9 servings and a LOT more fruits than usual, due to the fact that I asked my friend to take me to CostCo and found out that they had *ORGANIC* blueberries and mangoes! I am set for smoothies for days!

I'll post dinner after I decide what I am having
  • Thank, Vegan!! I won't say I'm on officially on the challenge but will check in here from time to time if ya don't mind. I've read your posts in other parts of the forum and feel you can inspire me to do better with eating well!

As far as veggies go today, I have to admit I've had none, zip, nada!!! Not much better with fruit ... had two servings of unsweetened frozen cherries in my "legal" low glycemic sugar free instant fake "cobbler" recipe ... that's pretty much it. Started to eat an apple but it didn't happen.

This thread could be inspiring ... see ya!
  • Hi ladies, I eat tons of veggie or so I thought until I tried to count out 10
    Here is my day
    breakfast, go lean cruch ceral, milk, and an apple 1
    Lunch, chop salad with leaf lettuce, red peppers, cabbage slaw, apple 4
    Dinner stie fry with broccoli, green peppers, onions, rice, slaw 4

I ussally put shredded cabage in most of my meals to add some bulk or I make a slaw(cabbage, and vinegar, no mayo) that I have in the fridge and add to meal that is kind of whimpy. But here is my question, what kind of nutients are in cabbage. It easy and cheap but how healthy is it?

Ok, so I got close, with 9 types, but I think it was only about 7 full servings.
  • Quote: But here is my question, what kind of nutients are in cabbage. It easy and cheap but how healthy is it?

Ok, so I got close, with 9 types, but I think it was only about 7 full servings.

That is sooo awesome!

Cabbage is really healthy, especially for women! Studies have shown that women eating foods from the BRASSICA family (cabbage, kale, broccoli, collards, brussels sprouts) have had as much as a 45% DECREASE in breast cancer! Also, cabbage is rich in fiber, vitamin c and has fair amounts of folate, B-6 and omega-3 fatty acids. Try eating both red and green ccabbage and also mix it up between chinese cabbage and napa cabbage.
  • I didn't post my dinner servings that applied to this challenge yesterday so here goes:

2 cups steamed cauliflower
    1 cup steamed rainbow chard

Bringing me to a grand total of 15 servings for yesterday!

Today, so far:

1 cup steamed cauliflower
    1/2 cup steamed spinach

2 cups steamed cauliflower

(not much variety, but that's what I have to finish up)

I am going to have a smoothie later with

1/2 cup strawberries
    1 cup mangoes
    1 cup blueberries
    1 1/2 cups orange juice

and maybe more vegetables for dinner...I'll post later if I do!

Here is what applies to this challenge from dinner:

2 cups mixed greens (romaine, arugula, spinach)
    1 cup sprouts (broccoli and sunflower seed)
    1 tomato
    1/2 a cucumber
    1 lemon, juiced

giving me 4 more servings of veggies, making my total fruit/veggie count for today
    20!!!

WOW! Menstrual cramps and excess fat BE GONE!
  • Wow, Vegan, you are awesome!

I didn't eat any vege at all yesterday. I think I need to resign as a poster on this thread as I am hopeless! I'll be lurkin'!!!!
  • Amarantha, don't resign...I *need* a cheerleader Did you have any fruit yesterday? Fruit counts too Maybe we should change the title to "Shoot for 5-10" or make a separate thread for those working on increasing their fruit and veggie intake; I want others to feel free to post *any* improvements in their fruit and veggies consumption
  • Hmmm, well, I wrote a long reply but lost it. Anyhow, I'll drop in now 'n then as a leader when possible, Vegan!!!

Yes, did have cherries yesterday and today in the fake (legal) "cobbler" I usually have for breakfast and sometimes again later in the day. On Monday I also had a half a grapefruit ... somebody at the gym brought in a box from her tree ... my blood sugar was down after taking a long walk with the personal trainer I use and she, duh, suggested I EAT something, which I'd neglected to do that morning, so I managed a half a grapefruit. It was good!

Hi, Jennie! Your menu is awesome!!!

See ya, all!!!
  • Yesterday I ended up with 8.5 servings of veggies (need more fruits! ) :

2 T. hot habenero salsa
    3 carrots
    1 stalk celery
    1 cup broccoli sprouts
    1 cup sunflower seed sprouts
    1 cup romaine lettuce
    1 cup spinach
    2 carrots
    1 tomato
    1/2 an English cucumber
    4 hearts of palm
    1 lemon, juiced
    2 T. hot habanero salsa

Today:

4 T. hot habanero salsa

2/3 cup shredded beets
    1/3 cup shredded carrots
    1/2 cup sliced cucumber
    2 cups mixed baby greens
    1/2 cup spinach
    1 lemon, juiced

1 cup steamed kale
    1/2 cup steamed carrots
    1/2 cup steamed onions
    2 cloves garlic
    1/2 lemon, juiced

1 cup mango
    1 cup blueberries
    1 cup orange juice
    1/2 cup strawberries

bringing me to 13 for today!
  • 1/2 cup cooked cabbage
    1/2 cup cooked carrots
    1/4 cup cooked celery
    1/4 cup cooked zucchini
    1/2 cup cooked onion

1 cup mango
    1 cup blueberries
    1/2 cup strawberries
    1/2 cup banana
    1 cup orange juice

1/2 cup cooked cabbage
    1/2 cup cooked carrots
    1/4 cup cooked celery
    1/4 cup cooked zucchini
    1/2 cup cooked onion

1 cup romaine lettuce
    1/2 cup spinach
    1/2 cup shredded carrots
    1/2 cup shredded red cabbage

1 cup steamed kale
    1 cup steamed collards
    1/2 cup steamed onion
    1/2 cup steamed green beans

16 today! I have to go shopping for more produce
  • Wow, VV! Your meals sound so beautiful and colorful! I'll be joining you tomorrow with menus. Love this thread.....
  • I like this thread also, E, although it's not a happenin' thing for me!

Vegan, I pm'd thee!