Old 05-17-2005, 07:04 AM   #1  

Default Time For Serious Fun #104

TIME FOR SERIOUS FUN

We are a thread dedicated to making losing weight a pleasant experience. We laugh, cry and talk together. We have challenges, points for staying on program, drinking our water, and exercising. We have a daily topic to join in. Our only focus is to help us realize that dieting and all that goes with it need not be unpleasant, but can be fun. Come join the fun here at Time for Serious Fun! Everyone is Welcome!

TOPICS:

Monday: Mission Monday New mission each week
Tuesday: Target Tuesday We target something to work on
Wednesday: Wednesday's Woes Our day to complain about anything and everything
Thursday: Time for Us Thursday The day set aside to pamper us!
Friday: Fabulous Lbs Down Friday. Report our losses!
Saturday: Sunny Thoughts Saturday We share stories and jokes to help us smile
Sunday: Silly Poll Sunday A new poll to give your thoughts to every week

POINTS VALUES:

STAYING ON PROGRAM IS 2 POINTS
DRINKING YOUR WATER IS 1 POINT
EXERCISING IS 1 POINT

POSTING A WTG: A WTG IS WHEN SOMETHING NON WEIGHT LOSS HAPPENS TO YOU LIKE A NEW DRESS IN A SMALLER SIZE. TO POST A WTG, USE ALL CAPS AND POST IT IN PINK. FOR EXAMPLE: WTG: I rode my bike 2 miles instead of one today.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 07:08 AM   #2  

TUESDAY: Today is Target Tuesday and our target this week is non-hunger eating. Watch yourself this week and see where you seem to always have to eat food, ie, when you read or watch tv, when you are sad, mad, etc. We must break the cycle of eating in this way. Make a conscious effort to NOT eating when you read or watch tv, sitting in front of your computer or whatever it is that you do. BREAK THE CYCLE!

Faye
Julie

Keep my sister Alberta in your prayers. She is the one with the dh that is now in the nursing home and has MS. She went to his medical hearing about his finances etc yesterday. She had been told to bring a year's worth of utilitys, phone bills, mortgage payments, income etc. She said she walked in, they looked at her gross pay (she only makes $27,000 a year) didn't even ask for the other stuff, told her she made too much and they took ALL his pension and SS. She said she did a budget and without his pension, after paying her bills, she has $135 for the month to buy groceries and pay for her med prescription, which is $35. She can't sell her house because they will take her equity. I don't know what she is going to do. She is beside herself when she called me last night. Her dd offered to let her live with them, but she doesn't want to do that and I understand that. She and her dd would tangle fairly quickly. I did tell her that she may have to accept financial help from her kids and swallow her pride. While organizing this stuff, she also found out that the hospital my bil worked for 25 years made a decision to drop their retired life insurance policy 4 years ago and never informed her so there is no life insurance on him now and it would be difficult if not impossible to get anything at this stage of the game. I talked with Jack about how much we could possibly send her per month to help her out. We aren't wealthy and don't have a lot ourselves. Jack has to keep working well past retirement to even get his pension from the city so we are not in great shape either, but I'll be darned if I am going to let my sister go hungry. I will have her move in here first. She is 60 years old and worried what they are going to take when she starts SS. The blood suckers!

Talk to you gals a little later

Faye

Last edited by gma22; 05-17-2005 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:52 AM   #3  

Good Morning everyone!

Sheesh, Faye, that's terrible about your sister! It's amazing sometimes the "generosity" of our great System....I'll keep her in my prayers.

4 points for me yesterday! AND.....Drumroll please..... I am down to 207!!!!! Just 10 days ago I was staring at 216 I know this is all going to slow up once I start phase 2 on Friday, but DAMN! It's so encouraging to just see the stupid scale MOVE! I'm wearing jeans that I couldn't pull over my butt just a few weeks ago. I even have hope that I MIGHT be below 200 by my big show on June 4th! Not to be braggy...but WOOOHHOOOOOO for MEEEEEE ! It's been so long since I had something weight related to be proud of.

DH is doing a little better, but hasn't moved off the couch in 2 days. One of my dancers is an acupuncturist. We may actually get that desperate!

So, I hope all you lovely chickies are doing well........I'll be back later.

Julie
Mirabelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 09:30 AM   #4  
It is what it is...

Morning Girls ... sorry I have been MIA for a few days, I was off work...

Julie - You are doing amazing !!! I bet you will be under 200 before you know it, and I know how long you have worked for that ... you are doing great !!!
I know how it feels to go through your dh's back pain... I sure hope he gets better asap !!

Faye - Thanks so much for the kind words...I too get really down sometimes about the whole weight thing and that really picked me up...so thanks...I will pray for your sister and her financial woes...that is so sad ... I hope things get better for her soon. Thank God she has a sister like you to talk to and be there for her.

Amanda - Dont get discouraged over your pms I was right there with ya at the end of last week and this weekend but we get up "dust ourselves off, and start all over again." Good Luck !!!

Nikki - Hi !!

Well I better get to work, talk to you all later !!!
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 11:25 AM   #5  

JUST HEARD THE THAT WE HAVE A BIG LOOOSSSEEERRR AMONGST US! CONGRATS TO JULIE AND HER BIGTIME LOSS. THEY WILL BE SEEING YOU IN ONEVILLE BEFORE TOO LONG!!!!!

I am sure I have lost a few, but need to get below 330 again for the scales!

Julie: I heard a good acupuncturist can be very very helpful for injuries especially.

Carri: We have missed you, but I kind of assumed you weren't at work as you hadn't posted.

Now didn't I once hear spouses were pains in the and not backs????? We have some dh's who have this concept all screwed up!!!!!

Thought you might like to see the most beautiful granchild in the world today! I am not prejudiced or anything you understand!

You guys have a good day. I need to try and do some weights or something. I am not sure my ankle is ready for treadmill stuff yet. ONWARD AND DOWNWARD!

Faye
Old 05-17-2005, 11:57 AM   #6  

Thanks Faye and Carrie for the encouragement!

I can't believe how much Thomas has grown! He's lucky to have such an awesome Nonny!

TTFN,
Julie
Old 05-17-2005, 01:08 PM   #7  
2006 - Panda Remix

Hi all!

I've joined the gym today!!!

I'll tell you how it went.....I was quite nervous when I arrived and was a bit overwhelmed by the sheer size of the place and the bright lights and music! The membership rep arrived and although she was really young and glamorous, she was really friendly and down to earth and really put me at ease. She showed me round the place and I was really impressed by the facilities - she advised me on what classes to try and booked me in for an induction at the gym. The gym itself is huge - but they have a designated 'women only' area in the corner if all the testosterone gets too much! The equipment is so sophisticated now - they set you an exercise plan and then store the info on an electronic key, which you then put into each machine (treadmill, bike etc) to start up your specific workout automatically. So there is no need to programme each machine when you get on - it's all done for you!

After my tour, I signed up for a month (thought I'd see how I like it before committing long term) and then went for a swim in their pool. The pool is really clean and was not busy at all. I then had a quick dip in the hydrotherapy pool. After showering and changing - (I was glad that they had individual shower cubicles rather than communal ones ), I had a skin care consultancy because I have very sensitive skin and I needed something to calm it down.The lady was really helpful and gave me some good advice. I ended up buying some lovely cleanser, toner and moisturiser which is another real treat - I feel really spoiled!

Everything about the place was lovely - and despite being the biggest person there, I felt good and felt really positive about being there. I know this is really going to set my weightloss up for good and the weight will really start to drop off now! I'm so excited about this new phase of my healthy lifestyle - I intend to get my moneys worth and be there almost every day, whether it's for a class, gym session or swim.

Anyway, sorry to witter on for so long, I'm just really excited!

FAYE - I will certainly pray for your ds - can she get some legal advice or something, because it doesn't seem right that they didn't assess her outgoings. Thanks for your lovely words yesterday - calling me a 'shooting star' made me very happy!

JULIE - You are on fire woman!! I am so happy that the weight is shifting and you are sounding so positive and motivated! I'm sure you could be under 200 by your dance show - wouldn't that be great, you've been wanting it for so long!

CARRI - Keep up the great work!

Love Amanda x
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:57 PM   #8  

Faye, I'll pray for your sister. I'm in her same boat with my husband. In addition to all his other problems, yesterday he was diagnosed with mascular degeneration. I really feel hopeless and depressed sometimes just thinking about it. I have no family - they have all died. I was an only child. No cousins or anything. I'll probably have to work until they cremate me or become a bag lady.

It has also been extremely busy and stressful at work. Boss definitely needs a vacation!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 06:34 AM   #9  

WEDNESDAY: Today is Wednesday's Woes so we get to gripe and complain today!

Faye

Amanda: That's wonderful! I know you will enjoy it and seeing others workout will help inspire you!

Susan: I will certainly continue to pray for you and your husband. It is a shame that in this day and age of companies not having pensions or stealing from them that no one seems to have a safety net.

I will peek back in a little later

Faye

Last edited by gma22; 05-18-2005 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:39 AM   #10  

THURSDAY: Today is Time for Us Thursday so be sure and take just a little time for you today.

Faye

back later

Faye
Old 05-19-2005, 11:40 AM   #11  

Actually, I'll be taking time for myself tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday. It's our guild's quilt show and I've worked on the committee for 13 months so it's our big weekend. I have a doctor's appointment in the morning and then we start hanging 250 quilts at 2 o'clock...we usually finish around 11 pm. I really look forward to this and have some dear friends who will be checking on my husband for me.

One of the ladies at work has never said anything about the 20 pounds I lost until today - she said I looked "skinny!" That's not a word in my vocabulary. I think it's because I actually have some clothes that fit for a change instead of being huge on me. Anyway, maybe it'll help me get busy and lose this last 10 pounds. I've had a rough week - my dh can hardly eat anything and I'm so stressed I'm eating way too much.

Faye, how is your sister and her husband doing? There is really something wrong with this country that you can't afford health care unless you are rich, have an employer who pays it, or are poor. What does the middle class do? We have some new senior apartments going up - I'd love to get out of our house and into one - the rent starts at $2195 for a one bed room per month. Rich I'm not. The other senior housing we have is income based and you can't have savings.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 12:12 PM   #12  

Susan: Good morning to you! I would love love love to go to a quilt convention or show or whatever. I not only find them fascinating but true art of the best kind. When I can, I watch a PBS show on tv about quilts and see all the different kinds and styles etc. I have two quilts, one my husband's maternal grandma did by hand and is falling apart so I have stored it and the other is a small one my own grandmother made for my son when he was born and will be passed to his wife when she has her first baby. Oooh, 250 quilts to look at how cool is that! As for my dsis and her hubby, what can you say? I haven't heard anything from her about her time with her lawyer. My bil cannot get well, but he is being a pain to my sister. He is selfish, arrogant, self-aborbed, lazy and feels she owes him something. He wants to come back home and it just can't be. The financial people will only pay for a 2 hour day aid to come in twice a week and she would have to foot the bill for the rest and he now needs 24 hour care. He is a large man (probably around 240 or so) and she can't get him up when he falls so she has to continually call the fire depart and they don't do it for free! He was the only boy in the family with two older sisters and on top of that had meningitis as a child so his mother allowed no one to cross him. This set up his attitude of "I am king and you should bow down to me." Don't get me wrong, no one and I mean NO ONE should have to go through this disgusting disease no matter what kind of an *** they are as a person, but he needs to understand his poor wife is doing all she can to make him comfortable and have a good quality of life while she suffers for it. Your spouse cannot get well either, can he? I know it must be so very difficult for you to see him waste away and or in pain. Have fun at your quilt thingy as you need to get away and have a weekend to yourself.

I guess I need to get my behind onto the treadmill and do my exercise for today. Won't be long and Jack will be home and then we have stuff to do.

Have a good day everyone

Faye
Old 05-19-2005, 12:24 PM   #13  

Good Morning...oops, afternoon, everyone.

My internet has been on the fritz for 2 days, so I haven't been here....but I got 4 points yesterday! And today will probably be a 4 pointer too, cuz I MUST mow the lawn!

All this talk about chronically ill people is reminding me of why we are trying to lose weight in the first place. I mean, yeah, I want to look great in a swimsuit...but really I want to be healthy until the day I die! Okay, that sounded wierd I don't want to be a burden to anyone, and I don't want to waste my money on stinkin' doctors and nursing homes!

Anyway, sounds like everyone is doing well....Amanda, how's the new gym? I hope you're making lots of friends there so you'll be encouraged to go back every day! That wedding must be getting close by now, huh?

Okay, I gotta run...just wanted to pop in and say hi!

Julie
Old 05-19-2005, 01:00 PM   #14  

Julie

Oh and Susan, congrat on the skinny comment. We can all use more of those!!!

FROM THE YOU WON'T BELIEVE IT DEPARTMENT:

I belong to a Las Vegas talk website and was fooling around there this morning because I wanted to know if anyone had seen Blue Man Group because Jack wants to go and I think they look like NUTTERS! Anyway, one of the posters is an old time Vegas Cabbie and he said he thought he had seen everything until a couple days ago. Seems he was driving the strip and saw a man walking down the street with a pig on a leash and a for sale sign around it's neck! I thought I had seen everything when I saw two girls go behind a piece of heavy equipment they had there doing some work in front of Bally's and take a whiz! Guess Vegas is the place to see and be seen! Can't wait for August to get here!

Faye
Old 05-19-2005, 03:54 PM   #15  
2006 - Panda Remix

Hi all!

Didn't go to the gym yesterday as I had to catch up on all my household chores, so I got 3 points.

I went for another swim today and have my gym induction tomorrow which I am looking forward to! I went a bit later today and it was a bit busier - I decided to go into the sauna , but felt really self conscious and there were about 4 men in there all talking in a foreign language and I felt paranoid that they were talking about me! (but maybe that's just my PMS making me feel crappy). I'm determined not to let my self consciousness stop me from getting to where I want to be! I could hear Faye's voice in my head saying ' you are a valuable person, don't allow others to make you feel bad' (Thanks Faye!) I'm also thinking of trying a cycling class tomorrow - as long as I'm not too knackered after my gym induction.

SUSAN - I am so sorry that your dh's health is deteriorating - my heart goes out to you. Your healthcare system sucks, it really does! I am so thankful for our National Health Service - everyone in this country moans about it, but I think we are very lucky indeed. Enjoy your break - you deserve it.

FAYE - Get yourself on that treadmill -the bright lights of Las Vegas are just around the corner!

JULIE - Keep up the excellent work, you are doing really well - I want to see those 100's soon!

Love Amanda x
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote